New Google Earth 3D cities not as detailed as Apple iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Apple is doing their best to burn bridges with Google. That's why you'll never seen street view in apple's maps.

Privacy concerns are likely the bigger reason
  • Reply 42 of 82
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Look at the top left photo for Google Earth on that ipad.

Look next to the Wifi symbol on that ipad.

[SIZE=16px]Google Earth was still rendering the image when the screenshot was taken. iOS maps had finished.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]Not fair at all. I should take a screenshot of ios maps when it's all grey tiles and compare it then.[/SIZE]

Nope, the Google 3D maps are hat amazingly bad and ugly. they are not even alpha quality and look like they need 1-2 more years learning how to render the images.
  • Reply 43 of 82

Whatever. The race to map the earth is over. It's all about Mars. And Narnia.

• Reply 44 of 82
    steven n. wrote: »
    2) can I take a wet trout to the engineer that thought using he click wheel to zoom was a good idea? Seriously? Zoom?
    I thought I was the only one annoyed by this. I slight mistouch on the Magic Mouse and you are suddenly at the other end of the zoom scale!
  • Reply 45 of 82
    charlituna wrote: »
    Privacy concerns are likely the bigger reason
    I tend to agree with this. I mean Apple has the cash to generate the street view data, and do it quickly. However if Apple were to do street view, they would in usual Apple fashion up the ante by increasing resolution (maybe then I could finally read house numbers). With all the privacy concerns Google has generated with street view, Apple would not want to incur the wrath of an angry populace or garner attention from politicians (both the truly concerned ones and the ones looking to make political hay). Like you said, it comes down to privacy concerns.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    steven n. wrote: »
    2) can I take a wet trout to the engineer that thought using he click wheel to zoom was a good idea? Seriously? Zoom?
    I thought I was the only one annoyed by this. I slight mistouch on the Magic Mouse and you are suddenly at the other end of the zoom scale!

True that. MagicMouse and Maps totally suck as a combo. That is why I actually have 2 mice on my desk; the other one being USB.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

True that. MagicMouse and Maps totally suck as a combo. That is why I actually have 2 mice on my desk; the other one being USB.

Do you have backups for both of those mice? (that is, four mice in total)

That would be a wise and prudent thing to do...

• Reply 48 of 82
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I deleted everything Google of my MacBook including Google Earth, after upgrading to ML and reinstalling Little Snitch, there were constant attempts to connect to one Google thing or another, got sick of blocking them.

I wasn't really using it much anyway.

If you click on the "Forever" button, followed by the "Deny" button in Little Snitch you will not need to keep clicking to prevent Google or any other apps calling back to base. Just the once will do. I remember another poster on these forums pointing this out some time ago, useful tip.

• Reply 49 of 82
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I just updated my Google maps app and am having a lot of fun with 3d fly by. Google is an awesome company and I I dont get all the hate. It is Microsoft that deserves our wrath.
  • Reply 50 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Street view and transit information are two of the most important pieces of the whole mobile maps solution for a very large group of people.  The fact that Apple's maps solution doesn't have either (so far) is definitely a big problem.  

Nonsense.  The GPS shows exactly where you are on the map as well as your target location.  Nobody needs to see a street view to verify their location!

• Reply 51 of 82
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

Nonsense.  The GPS shows exactly where you are on the map as well as your target location.  Nobody needs to see a street view to verify their location!

The case for Street View is a bit overblown, but some people do have a lot of trouble using maps, even when it shows them exactly where they are and which direction they are facing.

On the other hand, at least a few of the posters saying they couldn't live without it appear to simply use it simply for virtual tours, which may not be an essential feature on a phone.

Google's transit information is ok in terms of schedules, but sucks for any but the most trivial directions. There's nothing there that third party apps don't already provide much better information for. Frankly, I think more than a few of you just think stuff must be good because it's from Google, and don't make any critical evaluations of the software you use. Thus your dismay, and sometimes disbelief (and grasping at straws to explain it away), that Google's 3D maps suck, which really shoudn't be much of a surprise, since most of what Google does is at best mediocre.

• Reply 52 of 82
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

These new flyover modes will really come into their own once I get a jet pack.

As a land dweller however, I use street view very often, and so any mapping app without it is virtually useless to me.

• Reply 53 of 82
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Street View is incredibly useful when choosing a restaurant in an area you don't know well or at all. A quick scan of the neighbourhood in street view is infinitely more useful than a birds eye view, and of course, Street View covers most of the planet now. How long until jet pack mode covers as much?  (hint - it never will)

• Reply 54 of 82
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

You should read the Google support pages. 1000's of people complain about it. It really is the worst UI ever conceived of for the click wheel.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

I wish Apple would do Streetview.  3D is a gimmick.

When I drive or walk or take transit, I want to know what the building will look like when it's in front of me.  Not from an angle and a thousand feet up.

It was stupid of Google to buy into the gimmick too.  Waste of resources.

• Reply 56 of 82

Quote:

I'll bet when Apple offers Streetview, your opinion will change completely right?

And tell me....have you never wanted to see a place before you went there or had more than one building in your field of view?  One of the most useful features on the Android Maps Navigation app is that the app switches to Streetview and pops up the photo of the address just as you arrive, so you know exactly where you are heading.

Is it essential? No.  Is it useful?  You betcha.  A lot more useful to me, personally, than 3D maps.  Heck, on the desktop, I often find using Satellite view annoying and distracting.

• Reply 57 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Of the main street through the town. That's it. Whereas you can just fly over anywhere and get the 3D maps instead of driving down every road.

I'm willing to bet that in a year from now Google will still have more cities covered with Streetview than Apple has with 3D maps.

I just can't see Apple throwing resources at covering secondary cities.

• Reply 58 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Mapquest gives better directions than Google.

1) Nonsense.  Only fanboys believe that.

2) Only road directions.  No transit.  No bike directions.  Only in America do people drive everywhere.  The rest of the world isn't 300lbs using a Chevy Suburban to get somewhere.

3) Interface still sucks after all these years.

• Reply 59 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

OK everyone listen!  I have a perfect solution to all this maps bickering!

Google just leaves maps alone and FOCUSES ON GOOGLE FIBER AND PUTTING IT EVERYWHERE!

Apple- release your maps, then focus on making the new iPhone!

Solved!

Then people would be on here bitching about how Google is trying to get their info.

Google Fiber is a simple effort at protecting net neutrality.  That's it.  It's a knife to Comcast and TWC throats.  If they start insisting on prioritizing traffic, Google can expand Fiber to multi-year nationwide roll-out and crush them.  That said, it's not easy for Google to commit to a national roll-out costing hundreds of billions of dollars.

• Reply 60 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Transit information?

The only "transit information" I need is when I feel like putting my key in the ignition and pulling out onto the road.

For those poor unfortunates who dont have a car, transit information is available through a quick Bing of transit company's website for the timetables.

You can't be serious.

Your solution to a lack of easily accessible transit information is to drive everywhere?  No concerns about global warming?  No concerns about traffic congestion in your community?  No concerns about cost of gasoline?  No concerns about weight gain (driving and weight gain have proven and direct correlations)?

I'm starting to feel more grateful for being Canadian when I read crap like this.  Even Members of Parliament and ministers take the bus or walk, here in Ottawa.  No public servant with less than 17 years of service gets a parking pass in the city centre.  I'm sure Europe is even stricter.

And Bing still sucks outside the USA.  And looking up and navigating a transit systems website is no way near as intuitive or convenient as a native solution on a maps app built into the phone.  Are you so brainwashed that you actually support a horrendous user experience if it's not Apple?