Apple to acquire fingerprint sensor maker AuthenTec for $356M

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has reportedly reached a deal to purchase AuthenTec, a security company best known for creating fingerprint sensors, for $356 million.

The asking price of $8-per-share represents a 58 percent premium over AuthenTec Inc.'s closing price of $5.07 on Thursday, according to Reuters. Among other products, AuthenTec creates chips that drive secure fingerprint sensors in personal computers.

In addition, the company also makes software, hardware and applications that work with fingerprint sensors. AuthenTec also offers security toolkits and VPN client solutions.

One service that the company provides is security for a near-field communication based mobile e-wallet. Rumors have persisted that Apple is interested in adding an NFC chip and e-wallet functionality to a future iPhone, perhaps as soon as this fall with the launch of iOS 6 and its new Passbook application.

The acquisition agreement was approved with unanimous consent by AuthenTec's board this week, according to Bezinga. The deal is not yet finalized because it requires approval from the majority of outstanding shares of the company's common stock, among other final steps.

Authentec

Based in Melbourne, Fla., AuthenTec announced earlier this month that its QuickSec VPN security product was chosen by Apple's rival, Samsung, for use in new Android-based smartphones and tablet models. The company's QuickSec Mobile VPN Client for Android allows secure communication through an Internet Protocol Security-based VPN client.

AuthenTec has shipped more than 100 million fingerprint sensors for integration in a wide range of portable electronics, including more than 20 million mobile phones. Some of its clients include Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, Fujitsu, HBO, HP, Lenovo, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Orange, Samsung, Sky and Texas Instruments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

Great way to get security on NFC chips: placing a finger on a fingerprint sensor on your iPhone when making a transaction. Would proof it against people who take your phone and not allow "drive-by" hacking.

• Reply 2 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Apple so rarely buy a company but when they do it usually means in a few years or less something big pops up. Just get those patents locked down well Apple!

If approved I wonder what happens to Sammy's contract?

The people that created this blog should be forced to only use it on an iPad or iPhone for a month.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    intelintel Posts: 7member

Samsung and Motorola are in trouble now, they are infringing on APPLEs patents. Remember folks the Android camp has been buying up patents just to sue APPLE. What is good for the Goose, is also good for the Gander.

• Reply 4 of 55
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

As said above, this is probably about patents. 

But regarding fingerprint security, I have never quite understood why anybody uses it. You are effectively leaving your password on everything you touch!

• Reply 5 of 55
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

ok so now we will see Google, Microsoft, and Samesung rush to introduce finger print recognition....and i am sure they already had it, probably for years.

• Reply 6 of 55

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Interesting news......

in the meantime who the hell thought this forum was fit for purpose - seriously AI just try using it on your mobile device, it absolutely sucks.

• Reply 7 of 55
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Interesting news......

in the meantime who the hell thought this forum was fit for purpose - seriously AI just try using it on your mobile device, it absolutely sucks.

I agree. I hate it. I can't even right click on a word to check spellings.

• Reply 8 of 55
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Great way to get security on NFC chips: placing a finger on a fingerprint sensor on your iPhone when making a transaction. Would proof it against people who take your phone and not allow "drive-by" hacking.

Agreed.

Not just on phones.  It'd be awesome to just add this to all computers.  Fingerprint sign on.

• Reply 9 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Agreed.

Not just on phones.  It'd be awesome to just add this to all computers.  Fingerprint sign on.

You know that exists, right?

• Reply 10 of 55
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Interesting news......

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I agree. I hate it. I can't even right click on a word to check spellings.

Very true. It's miserable on an iPhone. Yes, we come here more for the community than the site design, but good site owners should ensure the site helps users interact and not obstruct a good (read usable) user experience.

Meanwhile, while it interests me why they bought AuthenTec, it's not certain they'll be used in the near future. Look at the LiquidMetal purchase/license which we've been waiting to be used for years now.

• Reply 11 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    You know that exists, right?

How would he know? Apple doesn't use it yet, meanwhile it's been on laptops for years.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    Part of the deal is that AuthenTec will become a [B]WHOLLY OWNED SUBSIDIARY OF APPLE[/B].. So no it won't get shutdown just to keep it away from rivals Samsung, Motorola or HP, among others.

Apparently Apple is paying another $7M to a team in AuthenTec to do something just for Apple. Apple is paying $20 million for rights to certain patents and then has an option to pay as much as $115 million for other patents it chooses.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

ok so now we will see Google, Microsoft, and Samesung rush to introduce finger print recognition....and i am sure they already had it, probably for years.

Considering the article mentions they were already doing this (prior to Apple buying this company) I think it's a given.

• Reply 14 of 55
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    intel wrote: »
    Samsung and Motorola are in trouble now, they are infringing on APPLEs patents.

1. It's not a done del so they are APPLE'S patents just yet
    2. For all we know, they have a proper license which Apple will honor at least until it runs out, so no infringement
  • Reply 15 of 55
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Apple so rarely buy a company but when they do it usually means in a few years or less something big pops up. Just get those patents locked down well Apple!
    If approved I wonder what happens to Sammy's contract?
    The people that created this blog should be forced to only use it on an iPad or iPhone for a month.

It really helps if you have Siri.

Dictated on my iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    wurm5150 wrote: »
    Part of the deal is that AuthenTec will become a WHOLLY OWNED SUBSIDIARY OF APPLE.. So no it won't get shutdown just to keep it away from rivals Samsung, Motorola or HP, among others.
    Apparently Apple is paying another $7M to a team in AuthenTec to do something just for Apple. Apple is paying $20 million for rights to certain patents and then has an option to pay as much as $115 million for other patents it chooses.

Can you provide a link?

Dictated on my iPad.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Dictated on my iPad.

Sorry folks off topic ... (although it's kind of on topic for every post if you use iOS!)

My wife got the iPad 3 I have to struggle with my mk 2 /sigh. However, AI really need to address the limitations / difficulties of this blog on iOS you can't always dictate.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Dictated on my iPad.

It also helps to use dictation on Mountain lion.

Dictated on my MacBook pro.

;-)

• Reply 19 of 55
    It also helps to use dictation on Mountain lion.
    Dictated on my MacBook pro.

;-)

Except that can lead to burned knees in the loo!

dictated on Mountain Lion and corrected manually.