Apple to acquire fingerprint sensor maker AuthenTec for $356M

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

We speak better English up here than the UK or the USA in that we pronounce and spell everything the correct way but don't have the wacky unintelligible accents that the Brits enjoy.  

Well, that's not entirely true. My step dad is from Newfoundland and I care barely make out a single word his newfy mates say!

More garbled than even the strongest scottish accent.

• Reply 42 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Oh it's not the way I'm speaking! The little microphone VU doesn't show input. However, I have mic input on all other audio apps working fine.

I am developing a bunch of core audio apps at the mo, so might be something I have done which has broken it.

What kind of apps?   Do they have iDevice counterparts?

I suspect that Siri & Dictation are really going to get popular within the next 2-3 years.  And, that almost everything will be done locally (on the Mac or iDevice) -- only going to the Internet for services/data not available locally,

• Reply 43 of 55

Quote:

I probably should have said "in Canada" (what I know for a fact) instead of "outside of the USA" (a likely assumption given the facts).  

I am getting pretty sick and tired of Apple's spotty support for anything outside of the USA though.  For most of the time Apple has been in existence, Canada got the products and software at the same time as the USA.  Now they are international, some things show up in the UK before they show up here, some don't.  Some things don't show up here for years and years after their official release.  

It's not like Canada is f*cking Afghanistan or some other mysogynist backwater of a country.  It's not like we speak another language or have some extremely cryptic regional dialect like Scotland, Wales and England.  We speak better English up here than the UK or the USA in that we pronounce and spell everything the correct way but don't have the wacky unintelligible accents that the Brits enjoy.  

In a few months we will get iOS 6 but in Canada, but Siri (an iOS 5 feature), still doesn't work on any iOS devices, and dictation doesn't work or works poorly on all iOS devices and all Macs because there is no Canadian "voice."  

Help me understand why the US English setting doesn't work.  I've spoken with a lot of Canadians -- and most speak excellent English (and French)...

I was born in Minnesota, dontcha' know, and am quite familiar with Canuck accents.

On second thought, if you travel a few miles North of Windsor... you get to a place where I can't understand anything anyone says :)

• Reply 44 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What kind of apps?   Do they have iDevice counterparts?

OSC (higher res networkable MIDI alternative) controller, music sequencer and drum machine. All for iPad.

• Reply 45 of 55

Quote:

OSC (higher res networkable MIDI alternative) controller, music sequencer and drum machine. All for iPad.

Oooohhhh.... so, some will connect to instruments...

Can you interface these apps to Logic or FCP X?

'Course you realize that they'll ever sell... content consumption only...

Edit: Like this:

• Reply 46 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Can you interface these to Logic or FCP X?

The plan is to interface to Logic, though they are a long way off completion. It is a huge project, and probably won't be completed for a year. It's something I have wanted to create for a long time, as I used to be a musician and always thought "why doesn't music software work how I want!" I feel many of the mainstream sequencers stifle creativity, and that there are 'better' ways. My AAPL trading has recently allowed me to give up programming professionally and work on long term projects for fun rather than profit.

• Reply 47 of 55
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intel View Post

Samsung and Motorola are in trouble now, they are infringing on APPLEs patents. Remember folks the Android camp has been buying up patents just to sue APPLE. What is good for the Goose, is also good for the Gander.

You don't sound very intelligent.

Samsung and Motorola are legitimate licensees. 

Well, now Apple's marketing department can claim they invented fingerprinting security.

• Reply 48 of 55
    Lol! Too true! If the goal was to limit posting, then they've succeeded.
    The people that created this blog should be forced to only use it on an iPad or iPhone for a month.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

The plan is to interface to Logic, though they are a long way off completion. It is a huge project, and probably won't be completed for a year. It's something I have wanted to create for a long time, as I used to be a musician and always thought "why doesn't music software work how I want!" I feel many of the mainstream sequencers stifle creativity, and that there are 'better' ways. My AAPL trading has recently allowed me to give up programming professionally and work on long term projects for fun rather than profit.

I tried to PM you and include a YT vid...  AI's magical UI went poof -- and it was gone into the ether... will try again later.

• Reply 50 of 55
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member

Quote:

We speak better English up here than the UK or the USA in that we pronounce and spell everything the correct way but don't have the wacky unintelligible accents that the Brits enjoy.  

Would you mind saying that again? I can't understand a word you're saying. It must be your funny accent.

• Reply 51 of 55
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The people that created this blog should be forced to only use it on an iPad or iPhone for a month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Lol! Too true! If the goal was to limit posting, then they've succeeded.

At first, I thought it was my fault -- because I've been running prerelease ML and iOS 6...

But, I had so many problems that I began composing my posts in Mail (which is always open).  The only difficulty is posting image or videos...  but I just include the URLs in the mail text, then copy them for the AI functions (Of course you can't copy them by selecting them in the body of the AI reply window... no, you must go back and forth between the mail message and the AI reply.   

The benefits of working in Mail -- nothing disappears, and things like copy/paste, spelling/grammar, define (lookup), Google Search, etc. -- all work like they do (and are supposed to) in every other app or web browser.

C'mon AI... it really needs to be fixed -- NOW!

Edit:  The only thing AI could do to to make this worse is to bolt on  a Metro layer...

• Reply 52 of 55
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

You don't sound very intelligent.

Samsung and Motorola are legitimate licensees. 

Well, now Apple's marketing department can claim they invented fingerprinting security.

He has 7 posts. It's likely that you responded to a trolling account.

• Reply 53 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

It's likely that you responded to a trolling account.

You should pay attention to that sentence, too.

• Reply 54 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I probably should have said "in Canada" (what I know for a fact) instead of "outside of the USA" (a likely assumption given the facts).  

I am getting pretty sick and tired of Apple's spotty support for anything outside of the USA though.  For most of the time Apple has been in existence, Canada got the products and software at the same time as the USA.  Now they are international, some things show up in the UK before they show up here, some don't.  Some things don't show up here for years and years after their official release.  

It's not like Canada is f*cking Afghanistan or some other mysogynist backwater of a country.  It's not like we speak another language or have some extremely cryptic regional dialect like Scotland, Wales and England.  We speak better English up here than the UK or the USA in that we pronounce and spell everything the correct way but don't have the wacky unintelligible accents that the Brits enjoy.  

In a few months we will get iOS 6 but in Canada, but Siri (an iOS 5 feature), still doesn't work on any iOS devices, and dictation doesn't work or works poorly on all iOS devices and all Macs because there is no Canadian "voice."  

What an incredible stupid comment. Do you have a single digit IQ? Scotland doesn't have a dialect, that is actually the place where the English language comes from. Better to spend your time reading somewhere else instead of making an utter fool of yourself here.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member

Can you interface these apps to Logic or FCP X?

Edit: Like this:

<object width="640" height="390" data=""><param name="movie" value="">
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
    <!--[if IE]><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="390" /><![endif]--></object>

TouchOSC is really cool. I tried it with Traktor. In 10 years most DJ equipment could be pure-touch, instead of buttons and simulated turntably-things. But the key is if in 10 years they can get tactile feedback as well based on touch (I always think this could be done by stimulating fingertip nerves).

As for ?, iPad is the future. It will be the spearhead of Apple 2012-2022. iPhone 5, while good, may not keep up with the Android onslaught. iPad, though, no significant competitors to come for a few years at least. AppleTV HDTV 2012/2013/2014 will establish a foothold in the home market, thought not be seen as a massive driver as Steve mentioned the "go-to-market-problem" with "set-top boxes". Apple will probably enter more public Search including Siri by 2015. Their cloud infrastructure, Siri and search algorithms can easily be targeted for Google-like search functionality. In fact, they might even use the word "Siri" for all Apple-search-technologies. Mac OS X can hold the grain for a few years but by 2015 75% of all "computing" activity will be done on tablet and mobile.