Samsung's tablets returned after buyers realized they weren't iPads

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Samsung has responded by arguing that it had phones and prototypes with a prominent display prior to the iPhone, and dismissed Apple's iPhone design as having nothing more an a series of features that were in "widespread use" prior to its launch.

This explains why, when the iPhone first came out, so many people said that it was just a copy of the… of the… ummm… Come to think of it, No one suggested that the iPhone was like anything that had come before..
  • Reply 42 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Every member of Samsung's legal team went to BB to buy iPads?

That was my first thought!

• Reply 43 of 131
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    For those suggesting that no one would confuse the two products, that is exactly what Samsung's own documents reveal. It happened so many times, Best Buy had to report it to Samsung, and Samsung had to write it down. And it was written down so many times that they couldn't shred all of the documents containing the information. Now it is a matter of public record. To deny it happened is to accuse Samsung of falsifying evidence. They would do that.
  • Reply 44 of 131
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

C'mon I can understand mistaking it in the store but when one is handed a box that says Samsung on it instead of Apple should tip them that they bought the wrong device.

I think some consumers mistaken "iPad" for "Tablet".

I once walked into a Bestbuy when the the new iPhones came out.  I had a few minutes to burn so I decided to look at them, and the Android phones that were next to it.  A low-20's sales rep came up to me to ask if I wanted to buy a phone.  I was (still) happy with my iPhone4 but I decided to play clueless and pretended to not know anything.  The sales-rep completely focused me on the Android phones and completely ignored Apple's offerings.  When I asked "What about that Apple iPhone?" he immediately said I would not like that, as Android phones let you do more things on it.  To which I asked "So you used these Apple phones too right?" and he admitted that he is an Android user.

After which, I took my iPhone out and told him I was quite happy with mine and left it as that.  He proved my theory.

So it would not surprise at the least if iHating Bestbuy employees were pushing Android tablets to clueless consumers.  It's not like they hate Apple right?

• Reply 45 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Now watch... trollers and iHaters had said that no one would be stupid-enough to mistaken a Samsung for an iPad.  Well, here you go.  How are you going to spin this one from your basement kids???

Trolls are beasts that are smarter than they look (sound). This news could easily spin off into the Apple trolls classic argument that people that buy Apple products are generally stupid and/or aren't tech-savvy. People trying to buy Apple products but ending up buying whatever is given to them thinking they are Apple products is pretty convincing evidence for a troll.

• Reply 46 of 131
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sflocal wrote: »
    So it would not surprise at the least if iHating Bestbuy employees were pushing Android tablets to clueless consumers.  It's not like they hate Apple right?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0s1V7-TSh0
    To be fair, they are not necessarily "ihating". Samsung as well as other manufactures offer huge incentives to the minimum wage earners to sell their products. Best buy like radio shack and all the others offer contests and promotions to encourge their employees to move whatever they are being incentivized to push.

And to be fair, the iPhone is expensive. If I worked at one of these big box stores, I'd probably be using Android as well.
  • Reply 47 of 131
    Samsung should demand that Apple produce every single Best Buy customer who allegedly thought they were buying an iPad. Otherwise it's all hearsay.

"Did you intend to buy an IPad?"
    "Yes, but I was told by the BB employee that the Samsung was just like an iPad, only cheaper."

Case closed.

When I bought my partner her Samsung tablet, the BB clerk told me they were the same. I left and bought it online.
  • Reply 48 of 131
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Just to clear this up for all the idiots out there, I think he is being sarcastic.

Nice to see you have to explain when the Mod decides to act like a 5 year old.

• Reply 49 of 131
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Of course AI wouldn't post this part though

http://gizmodo.com/5929630/proof-that-the-iphone-4-could-have-perfectly-been-a-sony-product-back-in-the-80s

That’s a hilarious story—especially the side-by-side comparison, which compares Apple to Apple.

It shows NO Sony product that Apple copied (because Apple didn’t).

It shows an APPLE design that Apple ultimately used... one which Apple felt was worthy of Sony. Just like many companies admittedly work to create designs worthy of Apple, yet don’t get sued. Apple doesn’t sue for "Apple-esque" but for blatant lazy theft. There’s nothing lazy about Apple’s iPhone 4 design.

Was Apple’s design a copy of Sony? I think we’d need to see the photo of that Sony phone that doesn’t exist :) Or another Sony product that looked just like an iPhone.

Some Android fans will lap up any story without the requirement for logic or facts.

• Reply 50 of 131
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

That was my first thought!

I thought they were AIers..

• Reply 51 of 131
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I think some consumers mistaken "iPad" for "Tablet".

I once walked into a Bestbuy when the the new iPhones came out.  I had a few minutes to burn so I decided to look at them, and the Android phones that were next to it.  A low-20's sales rep came up to me to ask if I wanted to buy a phone.  I was (still) happy with my iPhone4 but I decided to play clueless and pretended to not know anything.  The sales-rep completely focused me on the Android phones and completely ignored Apple's offerings.  When I asked "What about that Apple iPhone?" he immediately said I would not like that, as Android phones let you do more things on it.  To which I asked "So you used these Apple phones too right?" and he admitted that he is an Android user.

After which, I took my iPhone out and told him I was quite happy with mine and left it as that.  He proved my theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0s1V7-TSh0

That's not proof that they hate Apple. It's not even a bb employee doing plus I can show videos of PS3s, Xbox 360s and other CE being destroyed. As for what device gets pushed by a salesperson I'm sure there are a few determining factors of which hatred isn't one, like the salesperson's personal taste and the current overstock of other devices to name a few.
  • Reply 52 of 131

actually, the boxes looked just like iPad boxes, too. the samsung part was on the back, quite small. look up stories from the time of release. 

• Reply 53 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    applezilla wrote: »
    This reminds me of the footage of someone showing random people in a mall the Retina iPhone next to the non-Retina iPhone. Over half could not see the difference.

Samsung clearly ripped off Apple, but never doubt the sheer stupidity of people.

Let's see.

Samsung's lawyers can't tell the difference.
    Several judges around the world say it's too close a copy.
    And numerous people at Best Buy are confused by the appearance.

Sure - must be stupid people. No one could ever confuse the products. /s
    Now watch... trollers and iHaters had said that no one would be stupid-enough to mistaken a Samsung for an iPad.  Well, here you go.  How are you going to spin this one from your basement kids???

The "iPad" name I think is becoming more synonymous with a group (like "Tablets") than a specific brand.  This is what I think the Android players are hoping for too but don't have the balls to come right out and admit it.  A person will just as likely believe from a pimple-faced fandroid rep that the Samsung tablet is "Just like an iPad, only better", only to get it home, try it out for a day and realize it's not the same thing.

I remember a conversation I had with someone at a table at a bar when he said "Check out my new iPod" and it was some no-name, music player.  I told him "That's not an iPod, it's a music player".  He looks at me curiously and asked me "What's the difference?".

That's why Apple is taking out the big guns.  Shame on Samsung, shame on fandroids for defending theft of IP.  Buzz off.

Exactly. It's really amazing how many people don't get it (although a lot of them appear to be Samsung shills). Apple is defending their product differentiation - which is everything to them. And it has nothing to do with all the little legal battles. If all the competition quits making slavish copies, Apple will be happy, regardless of the outcome of the legal cases. Samsung's Galaxy SIII suggests that this might be what's happening - Samsung finally stopped trying to duplicate the iPhone exactly.
  • Reply 54 of 131
    srangersranger Posts: 473member

Lets just call these people "Statistically Insignificant"....

• Reply 55 of 131
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I'll post these again, as they're relevant (click for bigger because Huddler decided to become a whore).

No one could possibly confuse a Samsung tablet for an iPad.

• Reply 56 of 131
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Dont think buying an iPad will help those people

I guess this is Apple's version of insanity defense?

• Reply 57 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Samsung should demand that Apple produce every single Best Buy customer who allegedly thought they were buying an iPad. Otherwise it's all hearsay.

While it's hearsay, it is probably admissible hearsay.

It's a Samsung document submitted by Samsung and which Samsung executives believed enough to use it in the course of business. That would probably allow the document to fall under one of the hearsay exemptions.
  • Reply 58 of 131
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I haven't heard anyone use iPad as a generic term. Such as, "Have you seen this? I'll iPad it to you...".

I hear it used a generic noun all the time, I just haven't heard it used as verb. Just like iPod now refers to any PMP (but Apple has adequately defended their branding so it's still protected) I've never anyone say they are going to iPod something.
  • Reply 59 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

And Apple even hired Sony to make products for them.

No, they hired a designer who had done work for Sony. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

• Reply 60 of 131
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Perhaps someone should sleep with the wives of Samsung executives. If any one of them complains, just say no one has patented adultery. Then show them pictures of Bonobos having orgies as prior art.
    I'll post these again, as they're relevant (click for bigger because Huddler decided to become a whore).

No one could possibly confuse a Samsung tablet for an iPad.