Apple OS X Mountain Lion hits 3.2% penetration in two days

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
After being on the market for just 48 hours, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is already accounting for 3.2 percent of all Mac web traffic and is on track to become one of the most quickly adopted operating systems in history.

The positive results were revealed in a Friday report from Chitika Insights (via All Things D), the research arm of ad company Chitika, which monitors and analyzes web traffic across its network.

"[B]ased on Apple?s June 2012 announcement that there are currently 66 million Mac users in the wild, we can infer that 2.11 million Mac users downloaded OS X Mountain Lion in the past 48 hours,? Chitika said. ?Using this figure, if we assume that 90 percent of these users paid to upgrade, OS X Mountain Lion generated $38 million in revenue for Apple in the past 48 hours."

Mountain Lion Share
Source: Chitika Insights

As noted by the publication, the exact number of paid downloads can't be verified as Apple is allowing users to update all their Macs for the one-time $19.99 charge.

Breaking down the numbers, Chitika said Mountain Lion's usage rate after 48 hours neared that of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. Most Mac users are still working on machines running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard which accounted for 45 percent of web traffic.

Mountain Lion Rolling Average
Source: Chitika Insights

"It is rather impressive for an operating system to capture 3.2% of market web usage after just 48 hours on the market. Such figures are likely supported by a relatively low price point for the operating system as well as an expansive list of desired feature improvements," Chitika writes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Not bad for some small penetration.  

• Reply 2 of 63
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

This one was the easiest Mac OS upgrade I ever made.  The only annoyance was the slowdown while Spotlight was indexing indexing indexing.

• Reply 3 of 63
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ... Or it proves how bloody bad Lion was ...
  • Reply 4 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I am surprised by both the marketshare for a $20 item that can be bought and installed from your Mac only having 3% and by SL having the majority when Lion is only $29, better than SL and just as easy to buy and install as ML. I hypothesis that people still aren't completely comfortable with not using their optical drive.
  • Reply 5 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Or how small the Mac community really is... Or how accessible and easy to upgrade to ML really is...

There's no historical data presented in the article to judge how successful this launch is compared to previous OS launches. Maybe Apple will release numbers to the press after this weekend on # of downloads.

• Reply 6 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Yeah… except it wasn't. *shrug*

• Reply 7 of 63
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I am surprised by both the marketshare for a $20 item that can be bought and installed from your Mac only having 3% and by SL having the majority when Lion is only $29, better than SL and just as easy to buy and install as ML. I hypothesis that people still aren't completely comfortable with not using their optical drive.

Maybe many people don't even realize that there is an update. If I were to ask my wife what Mountain Lion was, she'd grasp straws and go back to surfing on her Macbook Air.

• Reply 8 of 63
    kakmankakman Posts: 14member

Quote:

I agree - Lion was horrible. We tested Lion and reverted to SL after 3 weeks. I tried Mountain Lion yesterday on a test machine and am now willing to install it as my main system. We have around 75 Macs and will consider a full roll out once I have a few weeks under our belt with testing.

• Reply 9 of 63
    sticknicksticknick Posts: 123member
    Yeah… except it wasn't. *shrug*

This.
  • Reply 10 of 63

I think it would have hit MUCH better if AirPlay was supported in some fashion for all machines. The major feature of this release only works with a few machines, and Lion is a brilliant release. $20 might not be a lot of paper, but what do I get for my $20?

• Reply 11 of 63
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Are you forgetting the significant number of users that cannot upgrade past SL because of the age of their computer? That's the only reason I haven't upgraded.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    unotherunother Posts: 40member
    Three words:

iCloud iOS INTEGRATION

made this a no-brainer for me with iMac 08, iPad 2 and iPhone 4!
  • Reply 13 of 63
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

Apple deciding to exclude pretty much the headline Mountain Lion feature (Airplay mirroring) to 2011 only Mac's has annoyed many people. Apple's forums are flooded with complaints over this.

• Reply 14 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Apple deciding to exclude pretty much the headline Mountain Lion feature (Airplay mirroring) to 2011 only Mac's has annoyed many people. Apple's forums are flooded with complaints over this.

What more can be said? Their implementation requires the use of a newer computer.

• Reply 15 of 63
    ron1701ron1701 Posts: 24member

This does not surprise me. Nor am I surprised that Snow Leopard still has more penetration than Lion. Lion was Apple's Vista.

• Reply 16 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What more can be said? Their implementation requires the use of a newer computer.

"Their implementation requires"?  Ha ha ha ha ha. More like "Their business model requires."  

I said Ef to their business model and installed it on my 2006 MacPro1,1.

And I'll bet of that 3.2% adoption rate that 99.9% of those ML installs came from a Lion upgrade.  Legacy SL users know better than to jump on a x.0 release.

• Reply 17 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ron1701 View Post

Lion was Apple's Vista.

And FUD is the troll's bread and butter.

Originally Posted by audioinside View Post

And I'll bet of that 3.2% adoption rate that 99.9% of those ML installs came from a Lion upgrade.  Legacy SL users know better than to jump on a x.0 release.

I'm sorry, I find hilarious your assertion that all current users of Snow Leopard, a three year old OS, are geniuses.

• Reply 18 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    newbee wrote: »
    Are you forgetting the significant number of users that cannot upgrade past SL because of the age of their computer? That's the only reason I haven't upgraded.

That's common with with new OS.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    newbee wrote: »

So what?

Few people with 3+ year old computers ever upgrade, anyway. And it's not as if your old computer is going to stop working.

One of the reasons Macs work so well and upgrades are so painless is that Apple limits the scope of their OS. They have no desire to support every Mac ever built because the complexity increases exponentially for only very modest gain.

If you want to be able to install your OS on 10 year old computers, stick with Windows. Just don't complain if it doesn't work well because you're part of the reason it doesn't work well.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    optikoptik Posts: 25member

I jumped on as soon as it was available by the way I'm using dictation to write this message on my 2008 MacPro love how things are working out so far just wish I had AirPlay no worries other than that.

By the way I really hated typing before dictation was Integrated.