Firmware update brings 'Power Nap' to Retina MacBook Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Friday rolled out a firmware update for the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display enabling Mountain Lion's new Power Nap feature two days following the new operating system's release.

The update, titled "MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update," comes on the heels of a Thursday firmware release which brought the same functionality to mid-2011 MacBook Airs.

As MacRumors reports, the system management controller (SMC) update enables the new Power Nap feature that comes with Mountain Lion.

Limited to newer MacBook Air models and the MacBook Pro with Retina display, Power Nap keeps Macs up to date and allows for the automatic backup of data while the machine is sleeping. The automatic data-refreshing service, which handles Time Machine and iCloud syncing, is both silent and power-efficient.

Retina MBP Update

From the release notes:
This update fixes several sleep/wake issues to improve the stability of MacBook Pro with Retina display (Mid 2012) computers and is recommended for all users running OS X v10.7.4. It also enables Power Nap support for users running OS X v10.8 or later.
The update can be found in the Mac App Strore while settings for Power Nap reside in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Off topic: I don't know why Apple is so against showing the size of the update. For something like firmware it's trivial but they don't show it for anything until after you hit Update.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member

PowerNap is definitely one of the biggest features I've been waiting for in Mountain Lion. Backing up at night while the mac's lid is close is a big deal.

• Reply 3 of 10
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bryanl wrote: »
    PowerNap is definitely one of the biggest features I've been waiting for in Mountain Lion. Backing up at night while the mac's lid is close is a big deal.

Now you've done it. Just wait for the haters to claim that this is nothing new and that all other OSes would allow you to close the lid and still work in the background.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member

Glad to see this in my updates list!

• Reply 5 of 10
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Now you've done it. Just wait for the haters to claim that this is nothing new and that all other OSes would allow you to close the lid and still work in the background.

ihate
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

ihate

This site and the content on which it reports? That's evident.

• Reply 7 of 10
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Intel Smart Connect will likely work for most OSs no?

Doesn't the Dell XPS 13 already do this? And that's probably on Windows I'd imagine.
  • Reply 8 of 10

I think that this is an awesome update. I cannot wait to just plug my computer in and get emails and other updates. I'm confused as to why it isn't done when on battery though. Hmmm. Maybe they could update to do that sometime?

• Reply 9 of 10
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    just_a_guy wrote: »
    I think that this is an awesome update. I cannot wait to just plug my computer in and get emails and other updates. I'm confused as to why it isn't done when on battery though. Hmmm. Maybe they could update to do that sometime?

I'm not sure I understand your question. The only thing Power Nap doesn't do on battery is the Time Machine Backups. Could they enable this later? Sure, but it isn't likely they will. If they haven't enabled it this time around it is probably because their tests revealed it would consume too much power. Imagine if you just did a huge update spanning several GBs, Time Machine could take hours (depending on your Wifi connection) and so you would wake up with a pretty dead battery. Best to just leave that one out and give everything else, as they did. Or are you asking why Power Nap isn't enabled on battery power by default? My guess there is they would want people to realize this uses of a little bit of extra battery power. But no big deal, you simply enable it once and it's good.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I think the difference between power nap and "closing the lid and updating" is that power nap will actually put the computer to sleep and still update/backup. Practically every laptop can update with the lid closed (as long as you set it to 'do nothing' instead of sleep or hibernate). The computer just stays on all night and can update or backup. Power nap seems to be able to do more