Apple's iPhone twice as profitable per unit as iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And since we're on this subject, JerrySwitched26 is ConradJoe, I am a Zither Zather Zuzz, and Hyram Gestan.

As all three previous accounts were banned for trolling, you can imagine what the fourth one will be banned for.

Jaywalking.

• Reply 22 of 38
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    muppetry wrote: »
    the phone manufacturers would likely have to drop their prices to compete and the results would be closer.
    And then the Telcos would have to lower their rates since they are no longer subsidising phones... not very likely that one.

I wasn't trying to say it was likely - just making the observation that the carrier subsidies enable the high manufacturer smartphone profits.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

The implication I  get is that Apple's margins are in a precarious position.

The high margin iPhone business is not growing like it once did.  There are storm clouds on the horizon regarding carrier subsidies.  And competitors are producing better and better alternatives for consumers.

The iPad is growing quickly in sales, but the margins don't make the cut for Apple's average.  To the extent that they continue to form a larger portion of Apple's revenue, the margins will shrink, as will the ROI, as will the PE ratio as will the stock's value.

I think you are over-reacting:

Margins in a precarious position... really?

High margin iPhone business not growing like it once did... really?

Storm clouds on the horizon regarding carrier subsidies... really?

Competitors are producing better and better alternatives... really?

First, Apple's last quarter was its best June quarter ever -- and it beat all of Apple's forecasts. YOY iPhone, iPad, and Mac sales increased.  

Second, Apple is aware of all the items you mentioned (and quite a few that you and I don't know about).  Apple continues to address these and mentions any that are of concern in its quarterly and annual filings with the SEC.

So, any opinion that you or I post, (anonymously) to a tech blog, can be assumed to have as much value as professional financial analysts' forecasts -- which value "is worth less than a bucket of warm spit!"

• Reply 24 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And since we're on this subject, JerrySwitched26 is ConradJoe, I am a Zither Zather Zuzz, and Hyram Gestan.

As all three previous accounts were banned for trolling, you can imagine what the fourth one will be banned for.

Jaywalking.

What about Tekstud? Just how far down the troll hole do we want to follow? :D

Could AI simply block this person's IP address, or just for safety's sake block the entire portion of the country he/she/it posts from?

• Reply 25 of 38

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Huddler didn't port up our records from vBulletin, but if I remember right, unless TS was… Ugh, we share the same abbreviation… unless that guy was using a completely different set of IPs, he's not him. Though I could be wrong and ConradZitherGestan26 could be laughing it up right now. Until we ban him for good, of course.

Could AI simply block this person's IP address…

Yes, but for convenience's sake, we like to keep troll IPs unbanned. If they move to a different one, repeat offenders are harder to find.

…or just for safety's sake block the entire portion of the country he/she/it posts from?

Huddler can't blanket ban IPs. So if we wanted to do the 111.111.111.xxx block, we'd have to do all 256 individually. 

Yep, we're collectively shaking our heads at that one. Hopefully that'll get fixed posthaste. 

And the problem with some trolls in some countries/places is that they share all of their IPs with a ton of legitimate users. 

• Reply 26 of 38
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Huddler didn't port up our records from vBulletin, but if I remember right, unless TS was… Ugh, we share the same abbreviation… unless that guy was using a completely different set of IPs, he's not him. Though I could be wrong and ConradZitherGestan26 could be laughing it up right now. Until we ban him for good, of course.
    Could AI simply block this person's IP address…

Yes, but for convenience's sake, we like to keep troll IPs unbanned. If they move to a different one, repeat offenders are harder to find.
    …or just for safety's sake block the entire portion of the country he/she/it posts from?

Huddler can't blanket ban IPs. So if we wanted to do the 111.111.111.xxx block, we'd have to do all 256 individually. 

Yep, we're collectively shaking our heads at that one. Hopefully that'll get fixed posthaste. 

And the problem with some trolls in some countries/places is that they share all of their IPs with a ton of legitimate users. 

On the other hand he's not doing that much harm - not abusive or anything like that. Occasionally even makes a reasonable point. Certainly provides amusement.
  • Reply 27 of 38

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

On the other hand he's not doing that much harm…

It's more 'on the other hand, we don't yet have an official policy that specifically disallows banned users the ability to make a new account'.

• Reply 28 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's more 'on the other hand, we don't yet have an official policy that specifically disallows banned users the ability to make a new account'.

That would be a fine addition to the AI site 'EULA'.

• Reply 29 of 38

I cannot wait until Apple has no competition and the fanboys can no longer pay for the latest iPAD priced at $4,000 and the latest iPhone priced at $5,000. What choice will you have? You should hope that Apple has a LOT of competition.

• Reply 30 of 38

Originally Posted by Apfeltosh View Post

I cannot wait until Apple has no competition and the fanboys can no longer pay for the latest iPAD priced at $4,000 and the latest iPhone priced at $5,000. What choice will you have? You should hope that Apple has a LOT of competition.

Nothing new to say, so you just copy/paste, huh? 

Getting lazy, man. If you want to keep trolling, you'll have to put effort into it.

• Reply 31 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    apfeltosh wrote: »

Did you miss the part about their most recent new product, the iPad, having a LOWER margin than the next most recent, the iPhone?

But at least you're an honest troll, not pretending to be intelligently in the discussion. JerrySwitched, on the other hand . . .
  • Reply 32 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    And then the Telcos would have to lower their rates since they are no longer subsidising phones... not very likely that one.

Tmobile has cheaper plans for unsubsidized phones, so it isn't not very likely, it already is.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Tmobile has cheaper plans for unsubsidized phones, so it isn't not very likely, it already is.

Yet there's no sign of AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint following suit. I'd love to see everyone offer an unsubsidized plan (or, at least, reduce your monthly bill after you complete the contract period), but I don't expect it to happen any time soon.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member

Carriers will continue to support iPhone because THEY make money off of it. It has the lowest churn rate of any phone and churn costs them big time. Besides, every time a customer puts off upping his phone when the 2 year time is up for even a few months, the carrier wins big time.

• Reply 35 of 38
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The carriers are already in the loop here.

About the margins? How can you be sure? I am sure they were aware the margins were high but this gives them more concrete data to use at the negotiating table.

• Reply 36 of 38

I got a great source concerning iPhone sales statistics, it's called statista. they got a special iPhone page here: http://www.statista.com/topics/870/iphone/

• Reply 37 of 38
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Much as I hate to agree with you, that should be the emphasis, but not for the reason you give.

The implication is that Apple is taking longer to get back their R&D on the iPad, so it hurts more that Samsung is raking off a percentage of sales by their copying of the iPad.

Their R&D?  You mean their marketing spending?

• Reply 38 of 38

The top notch iPhone application development companies always support apple for their work and output.