Apple Genius ads debut during Olympic opening ceremonies

Comments

• Reply 101 of 322
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

The Genius guys looks more PC like then Apple. And would Steve approve such ads? Properly Not.

And i am starting to worry about the future Apple.

• Reply 102 of 322
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ksec wrote: »
    The Genius guys looks more PC like then Apple. And would Steve approve such ads? Properly Not.

Another post invoking with Steve would or wouldn't do and fearing for Aplle's future. Yawn.
  • Reply 103 of 322
    amoradalaamoradala Posts: 146member

I think these ad's are excellent.

If I put myself in the shoes of the target audience. . .

I would like to get one of those apple computers I've heard so much about. I've heard they are very good, but don't know where to start.

I know there is an Apple store by me.

Advert says. . .

All Apple stores are  full apple genius' that are eager to help you with friendship and good humour.

Not a bad message to put across really ! ;)

• Reply 104 of 322
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

......  the only people I can see these ads remotely working for are older people with little to no computer knowledge who enjoy campy humor (not that there's anything wrong with that .....

btw ....by most accounts, that is the fastest growing demographic ... on the planet. (baby boomers)  Remember, unlike most of us, Apple skates to where the puck is going to be .... not where the puck is.

• Reply 105 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

LOL...

I think that maybe... just maybe... you may have scripted the clincher genius ad.

We really need the old "sarcasm" icons back, don'tcha think, Dick?

• Reply 106 of 322
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

After the benefit of a good night's sleep, I unfortunately don't feel any better about the ads; they're wrong in so many ways (although I agree that doing Mac focused ads is a good idea). I assume that as a 30yo professional I'm pretty close to Apple's target demographic. However, the only people I can see these ads remotely working for are older people with little to no computer knowledge who enjoy campy humor (not that there's anything wrong with that :) ).

But that's the point, these ads are not for you. You are an Apple user. You are on this forum so you are at least somewhat familiar with Apple and are somewhat technical. The demographics are for those who might consider switching from Windows but are afraid for valid and invalid reasons.

Assuming this is a proper campaign this is the new switcher campaign. 4th generation for this campaign. First we had 'Think Different', then 'Apple Switch', followed by 'Get A Mac', a now 'Apple Genius'. What makes these increasing better over the first generation is the continued focus on why a Mac is better than your typical Win OEM PC.

mstone wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they follow up explaining the Genius Bar is free in another ad. At least the theme is consistent with their plans to expand the Genius Bar in the stores.
    Does Apple have any similar service online for people who don't live near an Apple Store?

I didn't explicitly state it but i'll be more surprised if they don't eventually address that in their ads. It's better to ease into that than to have that be the first message so I don't begrudge them for being that clear in their first ads, assuming it's a campaign and not just these three ads for the next 16 days.

ksec wrote: »

:sigh:
  • Reply 107 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't know any adult who is naive enough to believe that any corporation (or government, for that matter) "was formed and is operating with the sole goal of making people happy."

Well, if you replace "goal" with "focus" .... and "people" with "customer" ..... you'd have the secret to Apple's "sauce", no?

• Reply 108 of 322
    I agree. These ads are boring.
  • Reply 109 of 322
    Apple is right to focus new ads on the USE of its products rather than encouraging the obsession with the next new product or trashing the competition.

People don't appreciate the huge unused potential of the Apple products they already have. Although you may hate these ads, they are pointing in the right direction.
  • Reply 110 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But that's the point, these ads are not for you. You are an Apple user. You are on this forum so you are at least somewhat familiar with Apple and are somewhat technical. The demographics are for those who might consider switching from Windows but are afraid for valid and invalid reasons.

Assuming this is a proper campaign this is the new switcher campaign. 4th generation for this campaign. First we had 'Think Different', then 'Apple Switch', followed by 'Get A Mac', a now 'Apple Genius'. What makes these increasing better over the first generation is the continued focus on why a Mac is better than your typical Win OEM PC.

I see what you're saying, but I just don't think the points the commercials were trying to make were effectively conveyed. The only positive takeaway I can see from these commercials is what amoradala said, that people may be left with an impression of the 'eager and friendly' Apple Genius that will make people more inclined to visit an Apple store. 

• Reply 111 of 322
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ4Ev3r View Post

Tim Berners-Lee used Job's NeXT Cube computer in sending a message @ the Olympics --a silent tribute to Steve Jobs!  

Very apropos since Sir Tim actually used Steve Job's NeXT cube on designing the original world wide web more than 3 decades ago!

https://twitter.com/nikcub/status/229127613971591168/photo/1/large

Nice catch!

• Reply 112 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

We really need the old "sarcasm" icons back, don'tcha think, Dick?

LOL... You caught me!

• Reply 113 of 322
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Yeah, it was really sad to wake up this Saturday to these commercials. I couldn't even get through the entire "labor" commercial. Just too painful to watch (no pun). I've never seen an Apple commercial that didn't make me smile, and didn't make me feel great about Apple; until now.

Long way from masterpieces like this: 

• Reply 114 of 322
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Ugh, each year their ads get blander and cheesier. These are the worst yet. It's like they went out of their way to make them as generic and uninteresting as possible. Apple is going to lose its status as hip and cool if they continue with this crap.

They're getting blander and cheesier because Apple is going after the mass market. You don't make gains in the mass market with erudite ads.

You may be right... but somewhere they need to "set the hook" so the potential customer gets the message:   Mac + Genius Support == computer solution for me.

I wonder if there is a simple/fun messge like a few geniuses saying:  "We pride ourselves in offering the best products and support -- why not come in and let us prove (alternately put us to the test) that Apple is the solution to your computing needs." followed by a smile, wink, bow, curtsey, applause, cheer... whatever  -- to end on an upbeat.

Yes, as several people have stated, it was odd that they didn't specifically state that Apple had geniuses available for free. My guess is that they'll get that message out either in another ad or via another medium.

Genius says:  Do you have an appointment?

Nonsense. Every Genius I've seen is very polite and helpful. If the customer comes in expressing an interest in buying a Mac and approaches a Genius, the response is almost certainly going to be "let me introduce you to Bill who can help you with your selection".

Of course, that's not likely because the Geniuses are at the back of the store and there are several dozen sales people between the door and the Genius. It's unlikely that the customer's first contact would be a Genius, anyway.
  • Reply 115 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Well, if you replace "goal" with "focus" .... and "people" with "customer" ..... you'd have the secret to Apple's "sauce", no?

Yes!  The goal of business is to make a profit at the risk of a loss.  The way that Apple chooses to attain that goal is to focus on providing the best possible products and services to their customers... ergo happy customers!

I would add one more -- what we had as our corporate objectives when we created the computer stores:

1. return a fair profit to the investors (us)

2. provide the best possible products and customer services

3. have fun

That, IMO, is the exact priority and concise purpose of being in business.

• Reply 116 of 322
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I see what you're saying, but I just don't think the points the commercials were trying to make were effectively conveyed. The only positive takeaway I can see from these commercials is what amoradala said, that people may be left with an impression of the 'eager and friendly' Apple Genius that will make people more inclined to visit an Apple store. 

Why will it make people more likely to visit an Apple Store?
  • Reply 117 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I didn't explicitly state it but i'll be more surprised if they don't eventually address that in their ads. It's better to ease into that than to have that be the first message so I don't begrudge them for being that clear in their first ads, assuming it's a campaign and not just these three ads for the next 16 days.

:sigh:

I agree the target isn't current Mac users -- but someone who is considering a Mac.  Like you, I think that these ads aren't unrelated singletons -- rather they are cameos with a common theme: Apple == Satisfied Customer.  

If the ads are really well done, they'll get the message across without really saying it -- a "lean forward moment".

• Reply 118 of 322
    eroslwseroslws Posts: 21member

I really liked "Basically." There's nothing that's basically a Mac and I think other companies have suggested they are basically Mac implicitly for a long time. They need to do this for the iPhone. The others were neat, but I'm concerned they might send the wrong message. It seemed counter-intuitive to what we were told at Apple about providing service outside of work.

• Reply 119 of 322
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

They're getting blander and cheesier because Apple is going after the mass market. You don't make gains in the mass market with erudite ads.

You could say the same thing about their products then.

Steve always wanted to make the best commercial possible. They were art in their own right. Same attitude he had about their products. (who actually doesn't know this??) The gains Apple made by not pandering to lowest common denominator turned out ok, I'd say.

Again; from a purely artistic standpoint, Apple has made more award winning artistic commercials than anybody that I'm aware of. (maybe VW?)  This latest bunch won't be up for any awards. From the Money / Madison Ave. standpoint, I don't think it will garner them anymore customers than their previous, higher quality ad campaigns. That's something I would definitely bet money on.

• Reply 120 of 322
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Pretty much everyone that uses a PC will be attracted by this. It's unbelievable to me is that you assume if one doesn't possess the same knowledge about a Mac that you do that they must be idiot. I don't know Final Cut or Photoshop. I'm sure I could learn if I had the need but I don't. If that need ever arises I am sure I'd have people assisting me in learning, even if that meant googling answering, reading books or taking course.
    All these ads show is that Macs aren't an island PC. They show that when you buy a Mac you are pushed out the door with your purchase and forgotten. This is a key factor that makes Macs a better option over WinPCs. This is something other vendors and retailers can't compete with Apple because they don't have the resources for it. You're not an idiot for not knowing everything about computers, you're just like everyone else.

Soli... your right about the basic message, and it is most definitely a very appropriate one for Apple to highlight and send at this time.

However... come on now... ya gotta agree it could be better, and the aesthetics are just not right.

Too much "intention", but not really a lot of "attention" to detail.

Someone at the beginning of the thread had a far better and conceivable outline to an ad that would convey the message of the Genius, GB, and Apple Store.

These IMHO, just don't do it for me.