Apple Genius ads debut during Olympic opening ceremonies

Comments

• Reply 161 of 322
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's what the Santa Siri ad was. That was very well done. This is cheesy, big-box crap that could've been done by Best Buy.

Have you considered, that the "Genius" and other proven Apple retail concepts, could be extended into the big-box "[Apple] Store within a store"?

These ads appear to be "selling" service and support for Apple products.  It is just possible that Apple could cut deals with BB, Target to train and monitor the performance of these "[Apple] Stores within a store".  

I can envision a joint arrangement where BB or Target provides the facilities and Apple provides the staff/inventory/look of an Apple store.  It could be a mutually-beneficial arrangement for both parties.

Every store need not be a palace -- it just needs to offer the Apple experience.

Anything would be an improvement -- and who but Apple could do this?  Dell?  HP?  Amazon?  B&N?  Starbucks?  MicroSoft?  Target alone?  BestBuy alone?

Edit:  Hehe... Microsoft would immediately jump into action and open a "Microsoft Store without a store" * next to every BB and Target... "Après moi, le déluge"

* "Microsoft Tienda sin una tienda"

Edit 2:  Yeesus Marta... can you imagine the effect if Apple opened, say, 200-400 US "Apple Stores Within A Store" in the next 12 months?  On Apple sales?  On jobs?  On the economy?

Edit 3: Dios mio... then Apple comes out with an HDTV... where oh where could they sell it?  Well, I'll tell you where -- in the store outside the "Apple Store within a Store"!

Calling all Wal-Marts...

Edit 4:  Mein Got... change that to a commitment to open 1,000-2,000 US "Apple Stores Within A Store" by November 2014... Apple would need a few $ Billion of that overseas stash -- I wonder if the politicians could see any advantage [to themselves] in exchange for fast-tracking regulatory approval  and repatriation of cash for Apple and like-minded companies...

Or, maybe some other countries might be interested in that kind of investment...

• Reply 162 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I did say by noon PT which is nearly 3 hours past. ~Apple is doomed!~

Nah!  We just saved  the best for last -- to see who was really serious about those ads!

• Reply 163 of 322
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

The reason these ads are good is they highlight the differences.

Dedicated high quality customer service which for a lot of other brands just doesn't exist.

What's someone like Samsung going to show?

Some slob at a best buy hard selling with "It's almost as good as an iPhone", then rushing the customer out the door so he can register the points to get a washing machine.

• Reply 164 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Dedicated high quality customer service which for a lot of other brands just doesn't exist.

Some slob at a best buy hard selling with "It's almost as good as an iPhone", then rushing the customer out the door so he can register the points to get a washing machine.

Exactly!

I know that BB reps don't get commissions... but from your comments, you're suggesting they get SPIFFs from the manufacturers -- a real disservice to the customer (and the rep), IMO

• Reply 165 of 322
    I like the new approach. Instead of focusing on a comparison war on who's product is better, this takes a direct approach on showcasing solutions for the vast majority of consumers instead of making ads for a smaller base of users who want to see a boxing match of competitors. Most importantly, they are emphasizing the value of service in addition to the product by making these ads more about trusting your local genius for anything you need.
  • Reply 166 of 322
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

SJ would've canned any ad agency that cast Marty Scorcese and John Malkovitch in those unbelievably sappy vignettes... Awful! Even worse are the iPad hero spots with banal copy like "there's never been a display that display text so sharp" platitudes. At least these new Genius spots have something to do with a product, a fact lost the creators of the other campaigns I mentioned.

• Reply 167 of 322
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    maxpilot wrote: »
    Very Lame! Apple should pull these ads immediately. This is something Microsoft would do.
    Yes, these lame spots indeed remind me of some ad Microsoft did a while ago:
    The SongSmith commercial!
    I really hope this is a one time fauxpas and Apple will not continue with this kind of BS.
  • Reply 168 of 322
    I know I should be adding to this discussion about the adverts ... but, does anyone else think that guy is super cute?

.... I am human after all  :lol:

Totally!
  • Reply 169 of 322
    Personally, I find these ads incredibly cute and entertaining. Even though I consider myself a tech enthusiast, I'm rather naive when it comes to how to use many of the iLife applications. I've used the Genius Bar for many of my Mac-related questions, so I can relate to the characters. In my opinion, these ads are clearly targeted towards both potetial switchers and novice users alike. I stock Apple blog sites such as this one, Gruber and Dilger, so I wouldn't identify myself as a total novice. So it says something that they appeal to me.

Good job Apple :-)
  • Reply 170 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

And my second fav was this from the Jul 1978 Playboy:

No, They didn't make the foldout but they were close -- and Regis McKenna (himself) had an article about the Apple ][ placed in the same issue.

I always thought vintage Playboys were smothered in tobacco and liquor ads.

• Reply 171 of 322
    solipsismx wrote: »
    How do you jump from "It just works" to assuming any user can do anything on a complete new OS with new apps? It does refer to the user, it refers to the Mac. One could argue that the Mac just works so the user can spend more time learning and using productively apps instead of fiddling with settings. There is still a learning curve with a new OS and new apps. Mac OS isn't self aware nor clairvoyant.

I don't, but I'm making the point that these ads open the door for those who want to draw such a long bow do so.
  • Reply 172 of 322

Quote:

But it's a Samsung washing machine. image

• Reply 173 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'd be happy if they could just stop the automatic downloading of those two or three cryptic text files every time you click on a new page here.  Sooo rude, and so annoying!

Ever since they changed the forum I intermittently get files with names like "5X5IzObjSt4&showsearch=0" downloading to my downloads folder with every page click.  Not cool at all.  

Probably some kind of f*cked up tracking cookies that they slipping onto everyone's computers so they can make money off of us.  

AppleInsider is completely sucky now, and it was the last semi-good, semi-rational place left on the web to discuss Apple stuff.  

Where are you seeing that? What browser? I'm not seeing that in my downloads or activity console in Safari 5. Of course, I also have ad blocking.

• Reply 174 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aengland818 View Post

Personally, I find these ads incredibly cute and entertaining. Even though I consider myself a tech enthusiast, I'm rather naive when it comes to how to use many of the iLife applications. I've used the Genius Bar for many of my Mac-related questions, so I can relate to the characters. In my opinion, these ads are clearly targeted towards both potetial switchers and novice users alike. I stock Apple blog sites such as this one, Gruber and Dilger, so I wouldn't identify myself as a total novice. So it says something that they appeal to me.

Good job Apple :-)

I think that you are in the target audience... even a techie-to-be has to start somewhere.  How would you rate the floor sales reps answering your questions, etc... as opposed  to needing to involve a Genius?

• Reply 175 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I always thought vintage Playboys were smothered in tobacco and liquor ads.

They were... including all the other acoutrements of success. *  It was a very, very big deal (and took very, very big $) to have a personal computer in a full-page ad in Playboy... then the article in the same issue... Playboy often did non-tech (more style/class) reviews of the latest electronic gear like Stereos, Tape Decks, Speakers, TVs, etc.  

* Barbi Benton, Patti McGuire, Brigitte Bardot, Sophia Lauren...  Sigh!

It is odd, but back then, as now, no competitor had the chutzpa, $ and eyeballs to do an ad like this.

• Reply 176 of 322
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It was a very, very big deal (and took very, very big $) to have a personal computer in a full-page ad in Playboy...

And now, we have Playboy in computers.

• Reply 177 of 322
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Did anyone else notice this:-

Is that a Next Cube Tim Berners-Lee is tweeting from?

Which was beamed live to an estimated audience of a billion people.

• Reply 178 of 322
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Not as polished as past Ads. Looks like everybody else's ads.

• Reply 179 of 322
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Quote:

Did anyone else notice this:-

Is that a Next Cube Tim Berners-Lee is tweeting from?

Which was beamed live to an estimated audience of a billion people.

It looked like it didn't it! I actually noticed and wondered the same thing! To notice that, we must need to get away from the TV and computers for a while LOL.

• Reply 180 of 322
    mdcraggmdcragg Posts: 73member

I do NOT like these ads.  The kid reminds me of those in the stupid "Dell Interns" commercials from a few years ago.  Apple products are the elite.  They should not be represented by some snot-nosed punk who seems like the kind of kid you want to just shut up because he has had about 5 minutes of life's experience but runs his mouth all the time because he thinks he knows it all.