The Olympics

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

The thread for the Olympics.

The opening cermony was pretty good.  I especially liked the Bond scenes.  Was wondering though, where was Elton John?  Too much hip hop for me, but the crowd seemed to go for it.

Saw a news program that showed a pub in London a couple of days ago.  It was named The Olympic and looked like it had been around for a while.  However, because of the games, it was forced to change its name, so they dropped the O and became The lympic.  What's up with the branding?

Are the Olympics getting too big?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Saw a news program that showed a pub in London a couple of days ago.  It was named The Olympic and looked like it had been around for a while.  However, because of the games, it was forced to change its name, so they dropped the O and became The lympic.

I'm stepping directly on land mines here, and I mean to start no debate on the matter, but isn't that what happens when the government's given too much power? This is abject nonsense right here. No one is stupid enough to think some hundred year old pub has anything to do with the Olympics.

Government and by extension the Olympic Committee, so that brings it back on topic and also answers your question, I think. Yes, they think they can do far more than should ever be legal for them to do.

• Reply 2 of 28
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

NBC is getting quite a bit of flak over this...  They even cut the tribute to fallen family members...  And claimed that they had to tailor the ceremony for the American audience.  

The press in the UK is not that happy.

- - -

I think the IOC does go out of bounds on a regular basis, but more than government, I see this as a business problem.  The IOC and the sponsors think they can control everything and have rights to everything.  This ties in to the NBC problem; they control access to live coverage or no coverage in the US, as well as editing.

Here in Japan, there have been some claims against the Olympic sponsors.  (Do I have a right to use the word?)  Many athletes have been forced to make many TV and media appearances and make commercials, etc., leading some to question whether they have had time to train properly.  The sponsors (and media) are using the players to their own advantage without regard to the athletes' performance. 

• Reply 3 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And claimed that they had to tailor the ceremony for the American audience.  

THEY DID. They absolutely did. We're too stupid to understand what is going on, so the commentators have to say crap every five seconds… 

The press in the UK is not that happy.

As well they shouldn't be. Not to mention we didn't get to see the entire thing. It was previously recorded, but they apparently kept the tape running during commercials. Inexcusable.

• Reply 4 of 28

Sorry to hear about the TV problem.  What needed to be explained and crafted for the American audience that the rest of the world could understand?  Here in Japan, NHK showed the entire event live, and for much of it the announcers actually were fairly quiet.  They provided background info and stuff that would be of interest to the Japanese audience, all live.  We will have the closing ceremony live, as well.  

As for the events, I'm not sure.  I am only following soccer (the Japanese women's team won the World Cup last year bringing a much needed boost to the country after the tsunami and the men's team upset Spain the other night) and the games are well announced for TV and are shown live, without any commercials except during half time.  Several Japanese stations seem to be covering different sports.

- - - - -

Seems a mystery girl snuck into the line of Indian athletes at the opening ceremony.  Just walked along with the group, right up in front.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/29/sport/olympics-india-mystery-woman/index.html

- - - - -

Lots of empty seats at various events, even 1000 seats.  I think more, actually, as the women's soccer matches I saw (Japan-Sweden, Japan-Canada) were pretty empty.

• Reply 5 of 28

On the news tonight was a story about french fries at the Olympics.  Fish and chips (a staple in the UK) are available at many outlets... as a set.  Fries are available only from MacDonald's, which purchased the rights.

One guy interviewed said he wasn't happy with the situation and said people should have a choice.

Again, this is big business and the Olympic business.

• Reply 6 of 28

The coach for Japan's women's volleyball team has an iPad at all times.  Has a strap to hold it to his hand.

• Reply 7 of 28

Soccer moved to Wembley Stadium... The video feed is horrible.  Lots of slow motion shots of both the crowd and players as well as long replays are both cutting over actual play; a major play was missed in tonight's game between Mexico and Japan, with the feed returning just as Mexico scored, missing the steal.  It is very irritating.

Last year, the Japan women's soccer team lifted the spirits of a nation suffering from the tsunami when they won the World Cup; yesterday, they made it to the final round and will bring home their first medal ever.  The final will be a rematch of the WC last year: Japan vs. USA.  

The Japanese men made it to the final four for the first time in 44 years, but fell to Mexico today, leaving them to fight for the bronze.

• Reply 8 of 28
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member

I do enjoy watching the best athletes in the world perform and compete. I've been up late most evenings watching the Olympics (albeit tape-delayed) because I like to see examples of human greatness and achievement.

That said, I could do without the shameless promotion of global government, corporatism, consumerism, political posturing, and all the other nonsense that goes along with the Olympics.

I've been reminded why I stopped watching cable and broadcast TV years ago.

• Reply 9 of 28
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I do enjoy watching the best athletes in the world perform and compete. I've been up late most evenings watching the Olympics (albeit tape-delayed) because I like to see examples of human greatness and achievement.

That said, I could do without the shameless promotion of global government, corporatism, consumerism, political posturing, and all the other nonsense that goes along with the Olympics.

I've been reminded why I stopped watching cable and broadcast TV years ago.

as a Londoner, I really don't understand what you are taking umbrage with. I do agree that it is is very odd that the IOC allows junk food firms to promote themselves on the back of what is supposed to  be the pinnacle in sporting endeavors.

Global government/politics??? The only thing I can think of is the error surrounding the posting of the Taiwanese flag which was later changed to the official IOC recognised Taiwan flag.

Perhaps the coverage in the USA has become subdued since the realisation that from now on the Chinese will probably be the strongest nation. Where-as once the USA had the specture of the USSR to compete against, they are not in a postilion to vilify the Chinese.

• Reply 10 of 28
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Soccer moved to Wembley Stadium... The video feed is horrible.  Lots of slow motion shots of both the crowd and players as well as long replays are both cutting over actual play; a major play was missed in tonight's game between Mexico and Japan, with the feed returning just as Mexico scored, missing the steal.  It is very irritating.

Last year, the Japan women's soccer team lifted the spirits of a nation suffering from the tsunami when they won the World Cup; yesterday, they made it to the final round and will bring home their first medal ever.  The final will be a rematch of the WC last year: Japan vs. USA.  

The Japanese men made it to the final four for the first time in 44 years, but fell to Mexico today, leaving them to fight for the bronze.

Have you tried using a proxy/VPN to access the content directly via the BBC site? I haven't experienced the  problems you report but then I have fewer hops. Hope that you enjoy the remainder of the games

• Reply 11 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Have you tried using a proxy/VPN to access the content directly via the BBC site? I haven't experienced the  problems you report but then I have fewer hops. Hope that you enjoy the remainder of the games

We're watching the games on TV in Japan and they get a feed from wherever (I guess or they are getting several feeds and splicing them themselves, but it is very unusual style for a Japanese program to do so live).  I should be clear that the feed is great; the video is very clear.   The editing is the problem.

It's just that somebody is trying to make a video montage during the game and in so doing manage to miss quite a bit of action.  For example, in the last men's game, the goal keeper got the ball and immediately there was a cut to I think some fans in the stands.  The camera zoomed in and we saw somebody dancing in slow motion for a few seconds, during which play had restarted.  The play feed returned just as Mexico got the ball and then scored; we couldn't see  the GK's pass which was the error (he admitted later).

If they would just show the action and less of the fluff it would be awesome.

Again, I don't know where the video is being edited.  It has only happened at the one stadium, sadly where the final will take place in a few hours.

• Reply 12 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

as a Londoner, I really don't understand what you are taking umbrage with. I do agree that it is is very odd that the IOC allows junk food firms to promote themselves on the back of what is supposed to  be the pinnacle in sporting endeavors.

Global government/politics??? The only thing I can think of is the error surrounding the posting of the Taiwanese flag which was later changed to the official IOC recognised Taiwan flag.

Perhaps the coverage in the USA has become subdued since the realisation that from now on the Chinese will probably be the strongest nation. Where-as once the USA had the specture of the USSR to compete against, they are not in a postilion to vilify the Chinese.

I think the concern is coming from the utter commercialization of the Games that started back when Peter Ueberroth changed the Olympics forever in 1984, not the London Games per se.  Big companies and IOC, Inc., control everything. Why can't a London fish and chips shop sell just fries at the Games?  McDonald's has the rights to that.  Why did a pub in downtown London, that existed long before the Games came to the city, have to change its name from Olympic to lympic?  Nobody in their right mind would think there was a connection between the pub and the Games, except for big business people.   

Here in Japan, many athletes were requested to make commercials and TV appearances before the Games.  Some sports commentators wondered whether their performance would be impeded because the companies were striving to improve their own images without consideration for the athletes.

I dunno.  It's just what is out there.  

• Reply 13 of 28
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member

Quote:

I think the concern is coming from the utter commercialization of the Games that started back when Peter Ueberroth changed the Olympics forever in 1984, not the London Games per se.  Big companies and IOC, Inc., control everything. Why can't a London fish and chips shop sell just fries at the Games?  McDonald's has the rights to that.  Why did a pub in downtown London, that existed long before the Games came to the city, have to change its name from Olympic to lympic?  Nobody in their right mind would think there was a connection between the pub and the Games, except for big business people.   

Here in Japan, many athletes were requested to make commercials and TV appearances before the Games.  Some sports commentators wondered whether their performance would be impeded because the companies were striving to improve their own images without consideration for the athletes.

I dunno.  It's just what is out there.  

Yes, those are some good examples of what I am referring to. I just think it's ridiculous to see a world-class athlete on a McDonald's or Coke commercial. I guarantee you they don't eat or drink that junk - at least not on any regular basis - but they are giving the appearance that they do.

I also think it's ridiculous that in an age where over 400,000 GB of information is transmitted around the world via the Internet in a single minute and we can watch live events from anywhere in the world, we here in the States have to pay to "legally" watch live Olympic coverage online, or settle for tape-delayed coverage.

I've noticed the sports commentators themselves occasionally inject politics or personal opinion into things. And some of the features they do on the athletes to build up to their Olympic performances seem overly dramatized and contrived.

I really just want to watch the athletes. Is that too much to ask?

• Reply 14 of 28

Amazing final in women's soccer... almost ruined by the video editing, again.  Not as bad as the last game, but bloody annoying.  Just the same, we had it live (started 3:45am).

Congrats to the US for winning, but, as an American living overseas, the t-shirts were bad style.

The ref also missed two serious fouls (warranting PKs for Japan)... that's FIFA.  An interesting stat that was on Japanese TV just before the game is that the US team gets the most fouls whereas the Japanese team gets the fewest (this game: USA 16 not counting the 2 missed fouls, Japan 8).  Of course, sports fans would say it doesn't matter as long as you win, but personally I think cleaner play is better.  That Japan was in this match (or last year's world cup) shows that clean play can win.  

Amazing game.  

• Reply 15 of 28

Reading around I discovered a couple of tidbits.

(1)

The US Olympic Committee pays gold medal winners $25,000.  

The US Soccer corp or whatever will give the women's soccer team $1.5 million to split as they wish.

- - - 

(2)

South Korea has mandatory military service for males.  But, if they win a gold or silver in the Games, males are exempt from that service.

• Reply 16 of 28

Keeping it classy....

Supposedly, after the US women's team defeated Japan, Twitter saw some messages saying that it was payback... for Pearl Harbor.  Yep. 

Also, and this is still a developing story, a Korean newspaper posted a photo of one of their men celebrating on the pitch right after the game with Japan holding a flag that carried a political message against Japan, a violation of Olympic policy.  (The message said that several islands claimed by both countries actually belong to Korea; the Korea president just visited the islands before the game).

• Reply 17 of 28

Brilliant opening ceremony. One of the great thing about the Brits is they're not afraid to push the boundaries and do something in a completely new way. 

Watched a fair bit of it since and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great camera work too. Apparently it's being filmed in super high definition and 3D too.

• Reply 18 of 28

Quote:

Amazing final in women's soccer... almost ruined by the video editing, again.  Not as bad as the last game, but bloody annoying.  Just the same, we had it live (started 3:45am).

Congrats to the US for winning, but, as an American living overseas, the t-shirts were bad style.

The ref also missed two serious fouls (warranting PKs for Japan)... that's FIFA.  An interesting stat that was on Japanese TV just before the game is that the US team gets the most fouls whereas the Japanese team gets the fewest (this game: USA 16 not counting the 2 missed fouls, Japan 8).  Of course, sports fans would say it doesn't matter as long as you win, but personally I think cleaner play is better.  That Japan was in this match (or last year's world cup) shows that clean play can win.  

Amazing game.  

I would have liked to have seen the final, but just caught small bits of it. The US team was playing way too dirty. Shame they'd sink that low, especially in the Olympics. I'm sorry to hear they got away with it. The refs really need to deal with this better by using the cameras more to enforce the rules. 

• Reply 19 of 28

NBC will stream the closing ceremony live online, but the TV broadcast will be tape delayed. 

• Reply 20 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I would have liked to have seen the final, but just caught small bits of it. The US team was playing way too dirty. Shame they'd sink that low, especially in the Olympics. I'm sorry to hear they got away with it. The refs really need to deal with this better by using the cameras more to enforce the rules. 

As I said earlier, the US team gets the most fouls.  The Japanese women get the fewest, and they gave the US a run for their money.  Just goes to show that clean play can produce good results, something that I wish more people would realize, including many here in Japan.  It is also something that I think all Olympians should strive for.  

I really wish you could have seen the medal ceremony.  The way the Japanese squad came onto the pitch playfully dancing, the way they stepped onto the podium and bowed to the audience one at a time (A Chorus Line?) ... it was wonderful to watch.  I can guarantee you that they didn't have T-shirts blabbing how great they are tucked away just in case they had won.

The US women got to the final round thanks to a ref making two back-to-back odd calls (even the US coach said she had never seen the first one actually called), so they are essentially being rewarded for playing the way they do.  In the comments somewhere online I saw several people mention that the two refs (the semis and finals) should have been on the medal stand with the US team as they were just as an important part of the success as the players.Saw a comment somewhere asking if the tournament was being fixed.

Soccer has lots of bad calls (the Japanese men missed a goal when the other keeper grabbed the ball and placed it inside his goal, but it wasn't called).  I wish they would institute an instant replay system, but it is doubtful.