Photos of alleged fully-assembled next-gen iPhone surface

Comments

• Reply 61 of 318
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Anyone notice that in one pic the volume down button is horizontal and in another it's vertical? Why would it be different from one pic to the next?
  • Reply 62 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm pretty sure the current model only uses two antenna bands at the top and bottom.  One is for cell, the other is for WiFi, bluetooth, and GPS.  This would be the same.  

As far as I understand (all educated guesswork only), the pieces that make the "unibody" back are assembled together before the final milling is done.  So that's why some people are calling it "unibody" and why I put it in quotes because like you, I don't really see that as being "unibody."  

The way I see it however, the "unibody" construction makes it easier to manufacture in that the "unibody" back part arrives at the assembly factory and all the various inside bits are securely screwed into it.  Then the front plate is attached in the same manner as the back plate was attached on previous models (annular steel ring), and secured with the two little screws at the bottom of the device. 

The chief wins of this design over the previous one would be faster, more efficient and more accurate assembly and greater resistance to breakage.  It's going to be almost impossible to break the glass on the back now for instance.  It should give them more volume inside the phone as well.  

I could be completely wrong of course, but I have been following very closely and this seems like the most reasonable explanation of why they are using this design if they in fact do end up using it.  

You are mostly correct. Just the "the chief wins of..." is mostly an educated guess. But since the pics are fake, that educated guess does not really comes in to play, for now at least. 

• Reply 63 of 318
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

It doesn't really amaze me any more like it did the number of people who expect Apple to come up with something miraculous every year! What these people don't understand is that the iPhone was groundbreaking when it first came out. It can not  really be made any much better, What we are seeing now is a mature product with increment improvements.

I have one simple question for you. what can apple possibly come out with that would "wow"  you?

• Reply 64 of 318
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Skimming through the comments I see that the typical posters think innovation means being radically different when it comes to rudimentary elements. The Home Button is on the front toward the bottom or exists at all... so Apple must be complacent. I don't know if they are just trolling or really don't understand how innovation works.

2) I love the design and [S]feel[/S] hope that it's real. It has all the elements of a building off the current design's pros while eschewing the cons. For instance, the two screws at the bottom release the front glass which will make it much easier for the user to replace if they break it. The headphone jack at the bottom is something I've wanted since it appeared on the iPod Touch.

3) It appears that the antennas are still external as noted by the tone-tone and breaks in the side. There are more pics on the original site showing the internal casing that support this.

4) I do wonder what most of the back is made of. Is that liquid which is why there is an odd unfinished milling effect to the inside backing? What is it for? Structure? Air flow? A inductive charging plate?

edit: oops, typo
  • Reply 65 of 318
    paul94544 wrote: »
    It doesn't really amaze me any more like it did the number of people who expect Apple to come up with something miraculous every year! What these people don't understand is that the iPhone was groundbreaking when it first came out. It can not  really be made any much better, What we are seeing now is a mature product with increment improvements.

I have one simple question for you. what can apple possibly come out with that would "wow"  you?

If Apple had only used, say, that iPhone 4 design for one year the same posters would just say that Apple changed it up so radically because it was a failure. IOW, Apple can't win with people, like DaHarder, because it's either proof that the previous version was a failure (despite Apple's market profits) or proof that Apple has gotten complacent. Now they'll argue that Steve Jobs would have never done this or that regardless of what Apple does. They claim now, after the fact, that Apple had all the answers under Jobs despite then claiming Apple was ready to fail at every turn under Jobs, but now that Jobs is gone you best buy from another company because there is no way Apple function as of October 5th, 2011.
  • Reply 66 of 318
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Don't be such an ass it is an iPhone what do you expect some sort of mirical in that form factor? Seriously by definition iPhone needs a touch screen as it is integral to the operation of the device. Given that, their design options are extremely limited.
    daharder wrote: »
    This 'alleged' new iPhone simply looks like a slightly elongated version of the now 2-year-old iPhone 4/4S with a few tweaks here and there - Which is hardly anyhting remotely ground-breaking/innovative and it's beginning to appear that there's a certain degree of complacency in the Apple design deparment lately.
    That is total bull crap very few people are so shallow as to buy the iPhone for its external appearance. The fact that just about every iPhone sold ends up in a crummy case highlights this fact. People buy iPhones for what is inside.
    Time for Apple to start to 'Think Different' again.
    Anyway... It'll likely sell well enough (merely because it's an Apple product),
    Given previous history it will sell well because it is the best option on the market. Do you seriously think the iPhone has sold as well as it has simply because of its appearance?
    but it's becoming pretty obvious that the once creative arm of Apple is (seemingly) coming up very short on interesting ideas as of late (to include iOS 6), while competitors are truly advancing the state of mobile device technology/design.
    More garbage, iOS will be a huge update for what is now a mature OS. As to the phone itself; consider this, it will sell for what is inside not outside.
    Come on Cook, Ivy and Company... Surely there are still a few great (design) ideas left in you.

Even if this is not the next iPhone it certainly is a great design.
  • Reply 67 of 318
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member

I have a strong feeling that this iPhone will be named just "The new iPhone"

• Reply 68 of 318
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

The beginning of the end is never evident until the end is near and everyone asks, "what happened?". I'll tell you, innovation died with Steve Jobs and if the iPhone 5 does look like this than that will be a true statement. This phone is ho-hum at best. Zero innovation. You can and cut and paste so long. You can only buy up so much tech and call it your own. There statements may not mean anything today but a few years from now they will. If you are wondering, de-Nile is a river in Egypt.

Your comment just reeks of a troll.  Sure, Apple will surely go downhill.. assuming that Apple stops all innovation now and doesn't do anything else.

Fortunately, Apple is in competition not with Android, or RIM, but with itself.  They want to continue to make what they believe is to be the best devices for the Joe Consumer.  Thank goodness that Apple doesn't listen to people like you.  You have a false-sense of self-importance that you think you know what's best for the market, even when being proven wrong each and every time.

If Apple listened to whiners like you, we'd have a Homer Phone.

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20071011/funky-homer-simpson-phone/

• Reply 69 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

I have a strong feeling that this iPhone will be named just "The new iPhone"

That makes two of us :-D

• Reply 70 of 318
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I don't like the 2 tone back. Looks stupid. I hope the new phone is a little more advanced than what is listed here
  • Reply 71 of 318
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

iPhone (possible) vs. iPhone (early prototype from court documentation)

• Reply 72 of 318
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Even if this is not the next iPhone it certainly is a great design.

very few people are so shallow as to buy the iPhone for its external appearance.

• Reply 73 of 318
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I still call bullshyt on several reasons:

1)  How many pictures did we see of the aboslutely-guaranteed-to-be-it-because-Jesus-himself-said-so iPhone5 prototype.. and we only got the 4S.  It was supposed to have a curved body & wider 4" screen.  Every blog/techsite/leak swore up & down the iPhone5 was coming in for sure in October 2011.  So much so, I watched the whole announcement and was absolutely sure the 5 was still going to show up after the 4S and look like this:

That is one obese looking phone.  Is this the iMcPhone?

• Reply 74 of 318
    ivinceivince Posts: 74member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I still call bullshyt on several reasons:

1)  How many pictures did we see of the aboslutely-guaranteed-to-be-it-because-Jesus-himself-said-so iPhone5 prototype.. and we only got the 4S.  It was supposed to have a curved body & wider 4" screen.  Every blog/techsite/leak swore up & down the iPhone5 was coming in for sure in October 2011.  So much so, I watched the whole announcement and was absolutely sure the 5 was still going to show up after the 4S and look like this:

Now that is one obese looking phone.  Is this the iMcPhone?

• Reply 75 of 318
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    cycomiko wrote: »
    very few people are so shallow as to buy the iPhone for its external appearance.

Lol
  • Reply 76 of 318
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

It is very sad that the screen does not have dimensions of the center back panel. Only if Apple managed to do that, the screen would've been measured as at least 4.5" or maybe close to 5". (Yes, you know I hate the Home button, wish it is gone for good, or at least got squeezed at the bottom).

From the design point of view, do not like the asymmetry between the screen and the center back panel either.

I think it would look amazing with a screen that matched the back aluminum panel. A massive crystal clear retina edge to edge display overtaking the front of the device would be gorgeous.

But this design has grown on me. It's a great evolution to the iPhone form factor and it pretty much addresses everyones wants and concerns, so I don't know what all the complaining is about.

• Reply 77 of 318
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

I don't think it's solely the appearance per se but also the quality of materials which is evident just when you pick it up. An all glass and metal phone feels far more luxurious in the hand than an all plastic Android phone.

This new phone follows the iPhones before it with the obvious use of metal and glass over plastic. That is a major selling point for the iPhone and all Apple products (and also why they've eliminated all of their white plastic products in favor of aluminum and glass)

• Reply 78 of 318
    [quote name="Gazoobee" url="/t/151599/photos-alleged-show-fully-assembled-next-gen-iphone/40#post_2156841"]
    I'm pretty sure the current model only uses two antenna bands at the top and bottom.  One is for cell, the other is for WiFi, bluetooth, and GPS.  This would be the same. [/QUOTE]

The original iPhone 4 GSM had the WiFi/BT antenna externally, but the iPhone 4 CDMA and iPhone 4S moved the WiFi/T antenna internally, like other phones. It's funny how the external antenna was deemed such a failure by [I]certain[/I] posters and then when they moved it inside it wasn't the one those [I]certain[/I] posters ever claimed was a problem.
  • Reply 79 of 318
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    More first post non sense too. People like this one seldom stay around for the long haul.
    rogifan wrote: »
    Wow another fandroid pretending to be concerned about Apple. How original.
  • Reply 80 of 318
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I think it would look amazing with a screen that matched the back aluminum panel. A massive crystal clear retina edge to edge display overtaking the front of the device would be gorgeous.

But this design has grown on me. It's a great evolution to the iPhone form factor and it pretty much addresses everyones wants and concerns, so I don't know what all the complaining is about.

Nor do I. The current iPhone design is iconic, instantly recognizable.Why change more than is necessary to accommodate the larger display? As for the possibility of a two-toned back, I like it. myself.