Rumor: Next-gen iPhone, 'iPad mini,' new iPod nano to debut on Sept. 12

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

The sooner the better... 2+ years of the same exterior design is more than enough for any gadget (as slowing sales indicate).

This one had better show some reall effort/progress - We'll See.

Funny stuff, from a tiresome poster.

Whatever the design, I'm sure that, following his standard practice, he'll be buying 3 each for his entire family.

• Reply 22 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

…deal with the whole price umbrella issue without looking like a reaction…

They're already doing that. It's called "iPad 2 for $399." And next spring it will be "iPad 2 for $299". The iPad 2 was a great product. People pretend to love it more than the 3rd iPad, for heaven's sake! When the 4th one comes out, the iPad 2 will still see huge sales. And after that they'll be pushing models, not prices, down the line.

• Reply 23 of 58

If they come out with a 7.85" iPad, I'm in.

• Reply 24 of 58
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    So much for doubling down on security.
  • Reply 25 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They're already doing that. It's called "iPad 2 for $399." And next spring it will be "iPad 2 for $299". The iPad 2 was a great product. People pretend to love it more than the 3rd iPad, for heaven's sake! When the 4th one comes out, the iPad 2 will still see huge sales. And after that they'll be pushing models, not prices, down the line.

I don't think we'll see a $299 iPad 2 but I could see an update to the iPad 2, retaining the lower-resolution screen, sticking around at the $399 price point. Upgrade the processor, that sort of thing. 

By the way, I bought the 2 when the 3 came out and have not regretted it. It doesn't feel like that much of a compromise considering the $100 you save. Eventually I'll upgrade to the top-of-the-line iPad but by then I expect the device to be lighter and run cooler. 

• Reply 26 of 58
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

Quote:

Ive closed by reiterating the Apple mantra that "we don't do market research".

In the infamous words of Henry Ford: "If I had asked people what they wanted, they'd have said 'a faster horse'."

• Reply 27 of 58

Quote:

[Ive] explained how, in the 90s, Apple was very close to bankruptcy and that "you learn a lot about vital corporations through non-vital corporations". When Steve Jobs returned to the company in 1997, his focus was not on making money -- "His observation was that the products weren't good enough. His resolve was to make better products." This was a different approach from other attempts to turn the company around, which had focused first and foremost on cost savings and revenue generation.

If only all those companies laying off everyone realized this concept and put it to use.

On topic: I hope the next iPhone comes out in September. That would be earlier than I expected and I'd be able to replace my 4 sooner. I'm not really the target for the iPad market so I could careless about if/when a smaller iPad comes out (I truly hope Apple doesn't name it iPad mini like so many websites have taken to calling this mythical device).

• Reply 28 of 58

Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

…an update to the iPad 2, retaining the lower-resolution screen, sticking around at the $399 price point. Upgrade the processor, that sort of thing. 

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no…

"Apple is going to give the iPhone 3GS an A4 chip and drop the iPhone 4!" 

What absolute nonsense is that. How does that make any sense?

• Reply 29 of 58

Quote:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no…

"Apple is going to give the iPhone 3GS an A4 chip and drop the iPhone 4!" 

What absolute nonsense is that. How does that make any sense?

Well I guess early next year we'll see what direction Apple chooses to go in. I think we'll see a continuation of the two price points and as such there will be an update to the lower price point product, as well as the top-of-the-line model. 

• Reply 30 of 58

Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I think we'll see a continuation of the two price points…

I said the same thing last year. Boy was I wrong. Some fizzle-bang f-thoom wrong action there.

….an update to the lower price point product, as well as the top-of-the-line model. 

Yes, by virtue of this year's model becoming last year's model at this year's last year's model's price point. Not through the iPad 2 magically getting new hardware and still being called "iPad 2".

• Reply 31 of 58
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Slowing sales which are still higher than the the top selling Galaxy S III and are not due to the design but historically have happened before a new product launch, announced by Apple as happening in "fall". (Spring down here), it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it will coincide with iOS 6.0.

Not to the same extent. iPhone 4S sales have started to slow down 6 months before the anticipated new version. In the past it's only hit sales for a few weeks before the new model. No matter how Apple try to spin it it's clear a lot of people are switching to other brands instead of buying the iPhone 4S. It will be interesting to see whether or not that trend will be reversed with the iPhone 5. Not in the first few months, but 6 months out when the initial post launch sales rush has worn off.

• Reply 32 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

So, you're not a troll. Your signature is not a troll signature. That comment is honestly felt from the heart. The slowing sales of iPhone 4S are not due to the Next iPhone's anticipation.

/sarcasm

Comments like this really piss me off. Not everyone who expresses a different opinion is a troll. Grow up or shut up. 

• Reply 33 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Funny stuff, from a tiresome poster.

Whatever the design, I'm sure that, following his standard practice, he'll be buying 3 each for his entire family.

Do have any opinions of your own or is that beyond your intellectual capability?

It's so much easier to constantly criticise others rather than put your head above the parapet and express an opinion.

• Reply 34 of 58

Quote:

The iPad 2 will probably get discontinued next March when the iPad 4 comes out. The iPad Mini will fill that price point.

• Reply 35 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

As a longtime (25+ year) owner/supporter of Apple products, I (along with many others) would like to so more forward progress in their designs/efforts.

Definitely agree with you there. A change in the design would be great and they've had plenty of time to think about it. Let's wait and see.

• Reply 36 of 58
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Do have any opinions of your own or is that beyond your intellectual capability?

It's so much easier to constantly criticise others rather than put your head above the parapet and express an opinion.

No, like the rest of the iSheep, I only have the opinions that Apple tells me to have.

• Reply 37 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

If only all those companies laying off everyone realized this concept and put it to use.

To be fair there have been a lot of companies who have had great products but have still gone out of business because their competitors had better marketing, distribution, pricing, etc. Great products don't guarantee success, it's about the whole package, or the 5 P's as the marketing people would say: Product, Price, Promotion, Place (Distribution Channel) and People (Building Relationships). Great products priced competitively, imaginative promotions, the AppleStore and building a loyal fan base of customers have all contributed to the mix.

• Reply 38 of 58

Quote:

The iPad 2 was a great product. People pretend to love it more than the 3rd iPad, for heaven's sake!

My missus prized my iPad 2 out of my fingers when my 3 first arrived and i had to use it on Saturday night when the 3's battery went flat. I thought my glasses had steamed up lol

When comparing models you tend to think the retina is a luxury you perhaps don't need. A bit like when my first gen iPad arrived i thought do i really need this. Now i just can't use the 2 at all. The retina display is just that good.

• Reply 39 of 58

Ok, to both previous post about this... here's my 2 cents.. DON'T UNDERESTIMATE the APPLE BEHEMOTH that it has become- they are now manufacturing products in Brazil and even here in the US, as for the smaller form factor iPad-Mini; YES they will def be releasing it prob in October more likely right before the Thanksgiving Holiday to catch the XMAS rush so as not to take away any thunder from the new and IMPROVED WORLD iPhone 5 (of which I will be spending the night outside the store to get my hands on and YES these things will SELL LIKE HOTCAKES and FLY, FLY, FLY off the shelves much faster than the regular iPad model because many, many people have a price break point (that would be around the $250-$300.) that they could justify spending and the kids will FREAK OUT when they get their hands on this little device (Nintendo, Wi and Sony you guys better get back to the drawing board) they will NEVER PUT it DOWN and the KINDLE FIRE will ... well just go up in SMOKE and they will have to have that final FIRE SALE like they intended from the beginning.

BitzandBitez

• Reply 40 of 58
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    No, like the rest of the iSheep, I only have the opinions that Apple tells me to have.

That much is quite obvious.