Front & back panel purportedly from Apple's next iPhone captured on video

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
On the heels of photos claiming to show the front and back of Apple's next-generation iPhone, a new video shows a close hands-on look at the parts, giving an idea of how such a device might look and feel.

The video, posted on Monday by Japanese blog Macotakara, shows what are alleged to be the front glass panel and the back panel of Apple's next iPhone, expected to launch later this year. It feature the slightly taller 4-inch display that Apple is expected to adopt, as well as a headphone jack moved to the bottom of the device, and a smaller dock connector port.

The front of the pictured handset retains the home button that has been on every Apple smartphone since the first iPhone launched in 2007. In the video, the user can be seen stretching their thumb from the top to the bottom of the screen, demonstrating how the larger 4-inch display can still be operated using one hand.

The video purportedly showing Apple's next iPhone also includes a SIM card port on the right side of the device, while volume and mute buttons remain on the left side, and the lock button remains in the top right corner. The back of the handset also has the two-toned look that has been featured in previous component leaks.

Also included in the video are a number of internal parts alleged to be from Apple's next iPhone. Among them is a flexible power cable that includes connectors for the volume buttons, mute switch, sleep button, and a new unknown feature, all located in the top left of the device.

Author Danbo said he has "no idea" if the power cable's new mystery feature will connect to a near-field communications chip. Rumors have suggested that Apple plans to add NFC functionality to its next iPhone, making the new Passbook application in iOS 6 more full-featured with e-wallet functionality.

Over the weekend, a front and back panel claimed to be from Apple's next iPhone also surfaced in still pictures online. They showed identical features from previous component leaks, including a centered FaceTime camera above the earpiece.

The back of the handset features a two-tone aluminum design with a unibody casing that has a slight beleveled edge. The back panel was said by those who had hands-on time with it to have a high-quality milled aluminum feel consistent with Apple products while remaining remarkably thin.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Another BS rumor.

• Reply 2 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I disagree Realistic. IMO it's likely spot-on. I personally believe some of these very recent "leaks" aren't leaks at all but carefully-crafted teasers with Apple's approval.

• Reply 3 of 49
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    This design is starting to look real.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I disagree Realistic. IMO it's likely spot-on. I personally believe some of these very recent "leaks" aren't leaks at all but carefully-crafted teasers with Apple's approval.
    For what purpose would Apple want to tease us with an unfinished product? Especially when Tim Cook says they're doubling down on secrecy.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    tomnryantomnryan Posts: 22member

Yep, Tim Cook is definitely doubling down on secrecy alright... Nice work Tim!

• Reply 6 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

For what purpose would Apple want to tease us with an unfinished product? Especially when Tim Cook says they're doubling down on secrecy.

I would think some of the reasons are pretty obvious. Build excitement, get some press attention to distract from other players's product announcements/releases, generally get people talking and spreading the word about the "new iPhone" that's worth waiting for.

• Reply 7 of 49
    jumejume Posts: 209member

I also think this was a carefully planed leak... but I doubt this is the new iPhone we are looking at... or at list I hope so! because if it is, it is simply lot uglier then current version!

• Reply 8 of 49
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I like it but wont be able to upgrade this year, my 4S is tied to a 2-year plan.

Does anyone have any idea what the internals might be? I'd like to see Apple go for 32GB in the entry model with up to 128GB on the high end, all with the A5X but on a 32nm fabrication process. I'm just waiting for Apple to dump ARM and go Intel, very soon the process technology lead (2 years) Intel has over all other competitors will make the ARM vs x86 argument moot when it comes to battery life and heat dissipation.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    tomnryan wrote: »
    Yep, Tim Cook is definitely doubling down on secrecy alright... Nice work Tim!

By going public about future plans for the Mac Pro?
  • Reply 10 of 49

that's the next iphone 5...mark my words...

• Reply 11 of 49
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Going to be tough to make the claim this is photoshop'd.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Why didn't they make the back more minimal?

(yes, I think this is real)

• Reply 13 of 49
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

The design is not good. It doesn't look like a 4" screen at all. I was hoping for a 16:9 4" screen... Apple really isn't interested in giving people what they want. Sometimes you have to bend to the will of the consumer. It sure woud've been nice to have a big screen iPhone.

• Reply 14 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

if there's a version with a silver metal back, oh baby, I'm all over that. It'll look great next to my first gen.

• Reply 15 of 49
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    That's OBVIOUSLY fake. Like a daltonian monkey did it. :P
    I remember the day I saw the iPhone 4 in the hands of gizmodo, I knew that was the real thing because it looked perfect and very well built.

I think this is the real thing, someone with the right machines could maybe fake it but I doubt it. Anyway all past 6 months clues point to an iPhone like this so that reinforces my feeling.

A few of my girl friends told me they thought the iPhone 4 was too masculine. I think this one is even more. For sure they'll keep a white version, and I'm still dreaming about colored iPhones!
  • Reply 16 of 49
    ryukryuk Posts: 29member
    After looking at this video I think It's real the other post I could say it was photo shop but this my dude I really think it's the real deal .. The question i have is the back panel made out of Liquidmetal or just aluminum ? If its the metallic glass this would make this phone the best ever ... I know some of you think it looks ugly but I love the new look I can't Wait to see what the hardware is like I guessing NFC and a huge upgrade in ram
  • Reply 17 of 49
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    ryuk wrote: »
    After looking at this video I think It's real the other post I could say it was photo shop but this my dude I really think it's the real deal .. The question i have is the back panel made out of Liquidmetal or just aluminum ? If its the metallic glass this would make this phone the best ever ... I know some of you think it looks ugly but I love the new look I can't Wait to see what the hardware is like I guessing NFC and a huge upgrade in ram

You too? A photoshop? You know that PS isn't a magical program, it can't create realistic looking images from nothing like that. There are 3D programs like 3DS Max for that.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    The design is not good. It doesn't look like a 4" screen at all. I was hoping for a 16:9 4" screen... Apple really isn't interested in giving people what they want. Sometimes you have to bend to the will of the consumer. It sure woud've been nice to have a big screen iPhone.

The rumours are that it's 1 pixel off from being exactly 16:9 which means it's still 16:9 by all other measures. How is that 1 pixel difference an issue?
  • Reply 19 of 49
    11thindian11thindian Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

But if everything we've heard is true that's exactly what this is.  same screen width as current version, lengthened to 16:9 aspect ratio, making it a 4" screen.  You're only talking about a half-inch diagonal different between this and the current version.  It's not going to appear much larger.

• Reply 20 of 49
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

IMO the present 3.5 is just right if you focus more on phone then web/apps etc.

If it is 4"...  they may have had no choice in order to fit the LTE chips and keep the battery life they wanted. Are there any small form factor phones out there that have LTE and have decent battery life?

However, IMO they are leaving money on the table by not having a 4.5 inch size to compete with the SGIII and for those that have more focus on web and apps. Simple expand the present screen ratio up to 4.5(retina screen be damned!). Time will tell.