Apple strikes back at Samsung with 2005 iPhone prototype design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    nshowell14 wrote: »
    I'm an Apple fan mostly because of how much they emulate Sony. 

And after reading a review from either BGR or Gizmodo stating that the Playstation Vita takes design ques from the iphone 4 is a bunch of shit. Seriously people, i truly get being loyal to a company that charges you an arm and a leg for their hard work, but ignoring another companies design just to validate your choice of purchase is insanely pathetic. Granted, that's just how people are nowdays, dumb as all get out. Just look at a PSP and the iphone and try to tell yourself that their not reminiscent of each other.

http://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/images/images_extra/PSP_1000_Chrome_2.jpg

considering Apple is getting away with enough of slamming the other OEMs of design choice, really they should slow down and take a look in the mirror. Dont try and shoot this down either. To everyone i know, the Galaxy Nexus looks absolutely nothing like my 4S yet somehow it was banned and it looks the least like an iphone!!!!
    . Nexus was not banned over a design patent. There is a lot going on, I know it is hard to keep up.
  • Reply 22 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by nshowell14 View Post

I'm an Apple fan mostly because of how much they emulate Sony. 

And after reading a review from either BGR or Gizmodo stating that the Playstation Vita takes design ques from the iphone 4 is a bunch of shit. Seriously people, i truly get being loyal to a company that charges you an arm and a leg for their hard work, but ignoring another companies design just to validate your choice of purchase is insanely pathetic. Granted, that's just how people are nowdays, dumb as all get out. Just look at a PSP and the iphone and try to tell yourself that their not reminiscent of each other.

http://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/images/images_extra/PSP_1000_Chrome_2.jpg

considering Apple is getting away with enough of slamming the other OEMs of design choice, really they should slow down and take a look in the mirror. Dont try and shoot this down either. To everyone i know, the Galaxy Nexus looks absolutely nothing like my 4S yet somehow it was banned and it looks the least like an iphone!!!!

Galaxy nexus was banned because of Apple's patent of universal search. I know right, Apple has a patent on universal search. I want to smack the idiot in the patent office that decided that was a good idea. Hopefully the patent office is seen as a joke and the validity of a patent is not challenged until someone gets sued over it. Another problem with our patent office. This is not just about Apple samsung has some horrible patents on smile faces the list goes on. 

• Reply 23 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But it'll make others think twice.  

No, it won't. Not if there's no punishment. Why else do people still run red lights and speed? Because the punishment is insignificant.

Originally Posted by Dapple2099 View Post

Looks like a single screen DS system.

Which was released in 2004 with wifi.

didn't Ngage have a touchscreen as well?

It looks like no version of the DS whatsoever. I also fail to see what 'having Wi-Fi' has to do with anything. Also, if you're implying that Apple stole the design for the iPhone from THIS THING:

you should probably get your eyes checked.

• Reply 24 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Judging from how f'ed up the patent system is, and if that idiot judge from UK is any indication, there may be little to zero consequence to Samsung.

2 billion is a traffic light ticket even if it sticks. They'll simply copy something else.

If they find Samsung wilfully infringed, damages would be tripled. And $2 billion is not a traffic ticket - it represents the entire single quarter profits of the GSIII (for example). Not to mention it would make Samsung (and others) think twice before "borrowing" in the future.

• Reply 25 of 80
    jookboxjookbox Posts: 3member

It's funny, over the years my opinions of Microsoft and Apple are reversed.

• Reply 26 of 80
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Isn't it obvious what Apple is doing. Apple is running scared of Sony. Period. Anything that ties them "directly" to copying Sony had to be eliminated. Nishibori should be thankful that Apple is not hiring a hitman for his head. The only story that has to be perpetuated here and everywhere is that Apple was being "inspired by" Sony. Sure, fanb4is and Ish33ps are buying it. The rest of us, we know better, don't we?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

As if things could get any stranger, the designer who supposedly created the Sony-inspired mock-up for Apple, Shin Nishibori. resigned from Apple in the past couple of weeks and says he won't testify since he's no longer an Apple employee and wasn't properly served.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Key-witness-in-Apple-Samsung-trial-leaves-Apple-doesnt-want-to-testify_id32795

• Reply 27 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

If they find Samsung wilfully infringed, damages would be tripled. And $2 billion is not a traffic ticket - it represents the entire single quarter profits of the GSIII (for example). Not to mention it would make Samsung (and others) think twice before "borrowing" in the future.

The only thing samsung borrowed from Apple was touchwiz and they should be punished for that. 

The funny thing is that if samsung stuck to android how google built and designed it they wouldn't be in trouble design wise. 

Their products would still be banned for "amazing" patents like universal search and an evolved form of hyperlink tapping though.

• Reply 28 of 80

My sense is that there is a fine, and then a requirement for an ongoing license (I think I read that Apple is requesting $20 a phone). So, I think that's the potential consequence.

• Reply 29 of 80

Originally Posted by Jookbox View Post

It's funny, over the years my opinions of Microsoft and Apple are reversed.

You used to think of Microsoft as an innovator?

• Reply 30 of 80
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

http://www.neowin.net/news/judge-blocks-samsungs-sony-iphone-design-evidence

Priceless.

Judge disagrees with Samsung, thinks Apple's claims have more merit = Judge MUST be corrupt/paid off, and should be thrown in jail.

LMAO

• Reply 31 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's genius: in 2005 they were *already* thinking like that. A design way ahead of its time. 

Exactly. Not only that, design that is timeless.

This is what the fandroid trolls that pollute this forum will never get.

• Reply 32 of 80
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You used to think of Microsoft as an innovator?

They innovated $$$ from Universal Licensing. 

And as a result, plunged the tech industry into the Dark Ages for nearly two decades, if not more. 

That's about it, LOL

• Reply 33 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

The only thing samsung borrowed from Apple was touchwiz and they should be punished for that. 

The funny thing is that if samsung stuck to android how google built and designed it they wouldn't be in trouble design wise. 

Their products would still be banned for "amazing" patents like universal search and an evolved form of hyperlink tapping though.

Only touchwiz? Are you blind as well?

The funny thing is if Google had stuck to their original idea for Android we'd have RIM suing Samsung for copying the Blackberry instead of Apple suing for copying the iPhone.

• Reply 34 of 80

Samsung's argument regarding Sony is pointless. It's like saying "That guy is stealing and getting away with it, so I should be allowed to steal as well".

This trial is about whether Samsung copied Apple, not whether Apple may have copied someone else. If Sony has an issue with Apple, then let Sony sue Apple for it. The judge was right not to allow Samsung to bring Sony into the case as it has no bearing whatsoever on Samsung's actions.

• Reply 35 of 80
    The fact this came to trial is just ridiculous. Its beyond stupid. So a month of discussing different versions of squares and corners and FRAND 3G patents.

What happens after this trial. 

NOTHING.

Apple will sell a bunch of Iphone 5 (iphones)
    Samsung will sell a Bunch of SGS III (galaxy phones)

If these companies were not so petty. This money that is being wasted could of been used for I dont know, innovation. 

Where are all of the Samsung design prototypes?
  • Reply 36 of 80
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

There is a large chasm between being inspired by and outright plagiarism.  Nothing revealed to date suggests that, despite Jobs's own quote of "great artists steal", Apple has ever produced a product that can be easily confused as something from a competitor. That cannot be said of some Samsung products. It's easy to plug 10 people from the streets and ask them to identify Apple products from a box of gadgets, all with brand and model names removed.

• Reply 37 of 80

Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

Where are all of the Samsung design prototypes?

You've seen the release models of the iPhone, right?

Right there.

• Reply 38 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

His lawyer says he won't testify because the subpoena was not properly served.  I noticed on some of the latest patent filings that he was no longer listed as being from San Fran.  Sounds like he left over health issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

As if things could get any stranger, the designer who supposedly created the Sony-inspired mock-up for Apple, Shin Nishibori. resigned from Apple in the past couple of weeks and says he won't testify since he's no longer an Apple employee and wasn't properly served.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Key-witness-in-Apple-Samsung-trial-leaves-Apple-doesnt-want-to-testify_id32795

• Reply 39 of 80
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

The fact this came to trial is just ridiculous. Its beyond stupid. So a month of discussing different versions of squares and corners and FRAND 3G patents.

What happens after this trial. 

NOTHING.

Apple will sell a bunch of Iphone 5 (iphones)

Samsung will sell a Bunch of SGS III (galaxy phones)

If these companies were not so petty. This money that is being wasted could of been used for I dont know, innovation. 

Yeah these stupid "Laws" and "rules" just slow everything down.  What the heck do we need those for?  People should just be allowed to do whatever they want as long as they are making money.  That's the main thing, right?  :-/ 

• Reply 40 of 80

Selfish, I know, but I am really enjoying getting to see all of these prototype designs.