Rumor: Apple readying 'at least two' new iPhone cases

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Along with an anticipated redesigned iPhone, Apple is also rumored to be planning to release two new cases for its next-generation handset, with one of the designs said to have a "major impact on the accessory market."

While one of the rumored cases is expected to be a larger "Bumper" case to accommodate a taller iPhone screen, the second case will feature a new, different design, according to iLounge. Citing a "highly reliable source," the site reported on Monday that though the new case will affect third-party case makers, the design will be "not hugely surprising," which led author Jeremy Horowitz to speculate the case could include a stand.

Apple stepped into the iPhone case accessory business with the launch of the iPhone 4 in 2010. Its first-party "Bumpers" wrap around the outside edges of both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S, which feature the same external design.

Monday's report follows up on an earlier rumor that claimed Apple will launch its next-generation iPhone at a media event on September 12. Corroborating some of those details, Horowitz said the new iPhone will be ready to ship in mid-September.

Also rumored to arrive in September is a new iPod touch, which will presumably also feature a larger 4-inch display to bring it in line with the new iPhone. iLounge, however, disagreed with an earlier rumor that suggested a new iPod nano will also be unveiled at an alleged September event.

iPhone

As for the so-called iPad mini, Horowitz was told that it will not be ready to ship at the same time as Apple's next-generation iPhone. He speculated that the device could have its own, separate media event ahead of a November launch, while the 7.85-inch device is also expected to have its own Smart Case and Smart Cover accessories.

Rumors of Apple's next-generation products have picked up steam, as both photos and a video of parts claimed to be from Apple's sixth-generation iPhone have also appeared online.

Earlier this month, pictures of alleged "iPad mini" engineering samples also surfaced, showing a smaller iPad with a 7.85-inch display and a shrunken dock connector also expected to appear in the next iPhone. Numerous reports from mainstream media outlets have indicated that Apple plans to expand the iPad lineup with a new, smaller, less expensive model this fall.

As for Apple's full-size iPad, iLounge was told that Apple currently plans for its fourth-generation model to have a "relatively modest body tweak." The device is expected to keep largely the same shape while adopting a smaller 19-pin dock connector, a new rear-facing microphone, and design tweaks to reduce heat.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    kfury77kfury77 Posts: 47member

A cover that's also a stand? Hmm... Surely not an iPad-like smartcover for the iPhone?

• Reply 2 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Of course they won't release an iPad at the same time as a new iPhone. Only so many resources, so many factories to build them. Still I don't think there will be a smaller iPad, but that is very opinionated.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Of course they won't release an iPad at the same time as a new iPhone. Only so many resources, so many factories to build them. Still I don't think there will be a smaller iPad, but that is very opinionated.

It does seem unlikely but assuming they will release a smaller tablet then when will they do it? At the same time as the large tablet? I can see a smaller, much cheaper tablet not affecting the sales of the current iPad but I wonder if that's the same for the iPhone and a small tablet, even though they are in different categories.

There is the need to get products ready for holiday quarter and it's been a fairly slow year so far with HW. I already expect more Macs, new iPods and a new iPhone. Another tablet just seems like even more excess but it stopping the 7" tablet push from taking market share that important to the future of their tablet monopoly?

Those are my rambling thoughts but I can't see a best path solution in there.
  • Reply 4 of 29

--As for Apple's full-size iPad, iLounge was told that Apple currently plans for its fourth-generation model to have a "relatively modest body tweak."--

I believe there is absolutely no chance that apple will just "stretch" the iphone4 design. It would be a shame for Apple's legendary design; bedides the form factor is maintained only on the "S" models, and completely changed in new product lines. If these mock-ups come from Apple, they may be a kind of bluff to fool the competition.

My guess is for an iPad-like back, all alluminium, rounded borders, sharing the same overall thickness and radii of the corners (right now, that radii is the same on ipad and iPhone). Perhaps an optional smart-cover also?

• Reply 5 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mieswall View Post

bedides the form factor is maintained only on the "S" models, and completely changed in new product lines.

Your implication is that there is any sort of pattern that can be said to be followed. That's wrong.

My guess is for an iPad-like back, all alluminium, rounded borders

So… like the "iPhone 5" that never happened last year and was never going to happen and isn't happening this year since we've seen nothing about it whatsoever. 

Keep the dream alive, I guess.

Perhaps an optional smart-cover also?

Why? It's a phone.

• Reply 6 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is the need to get products ready for holiday quarter and it's been a fairly slow year so far with HW. I already expect more Macs, new iPods and a new iPhone. Another tablet just seems like even more excess but it stopping the 7" tablet push from taking market share that important to the future of their tablet monopoly?

iPad mini would be huge for the holiday quarter. I am definitely a buyer. I also need a new iMac. Our 2007 home iMac is starting to go south. The video component is leaving all kinds of artifacts and blinking lines when you scroll in the browser. It has only been running 24x7 for 5+ years which is pretty good for an all-in-one since heat is usually the thing that causes hardware failure.

Anyway I'll be buying pretty much one or more of everything this year. iPhone, iPad mini, iMac, Mac Pro, maybe a Mac Air. Not sure bout that last one, or the iPad mini obviously.

• Reply 7 of 29
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

Why November?  If the iPhone and iPods launch in September then October is the perfect time for the iPad mini.

• Reply 8 of 29

I wish the iPod Touch would just be absorbed into the iPad branded family already.

You could have the iPad nano (iPod touch), iPad mini (7" screen) and iPad.

Then I could call the iPod nano, just iPod.

• Reply 9 of 29

Good. I liked the Bumper. I am convinced that little strip of rubber along the front and back edges saved me from breakage. I only dropped my iPhone 4 twice in two+ years. 

My only complaint is that they wear out too quickly. I've had two, the first one was replaced under warranty. The current one is falling apart, but I'm going to hold out until iPhone '5.'

• Reply 10 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It does seem unlikely but assuming they will release a smaller tablet then when will they do it? At the same time as the large tablet? I can see a smaller, much cheaper tablet not affecting the sales of the current iPad but I wonder if that's the same for the iPhone and a small tablet, even though they are in different categories.

Those are my rambling thoughts but I can't see a best path solution in there.

Ok, to both previous post about this... here's my 2 cents.. DON'T UNDERESTIMATE the APPLE BEHEMOTH that it has become- they are now manufacturing products in Brazil and even here in the US, as for the smaller form factor iPad-Mini; YES they will def be releasing it prob in October more likely right before the Thanksgiving Holiday to catch the XMAS rush so as not to take away any thunder from the new and IMPROVED WORLD iPhone 5 (of which I will be spending the night outside the store to get my hands on and YES these things will SELL LIKE HOTCAKES and FLY, FLY, FLY off the shelves much faster than the regular iPad model because many, many people have a price break point (that would be around the $250-$300.) that they could justify spending and the kids will FREAK OUT when they get their hands on this little device (Nintendo, Wi and Sony you guys better get back to the drawing board) they will NEVER PUT it DOWN and the KINDLE FIRE will ... well just go up in SMOKE and they will have to have that final FIRE SALE like they intended from the beginning.

BitzandBitez

• Reply 11 of 29
    Maybe the second cover will be like an extended length bumper that will be long enough to allow for a 19 to 30 pin dock connector adaptor.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I wish the iPod Touch would just be absorbed into the iPad branded family already.

You could have the iPad nano (iPod touch), iPad mini (7" screen) and iPad.

Then I could call the iPod nano, just iPod.

This would make no sense in that they are different devices intended for different uses with different form factors.  

The touch and the iPhone are mobile communication devices with attached media players and gaming.  

The iPad is a full fledged computer.

• Reply 13 of 29
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

One case will be like the iPad Smart Cases, with little magnets to automatically connect and position it, and the other one will have a flip-out bluetooth keyboard to satisfy the Blackberry crowd.

Or they could have a bunch of colorful cases with Disney characters on them like Mickey, Goofy, and Daffy.  For the corporate executive crowd.

Don't you just love rumors?

• Reply 14 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ok, to both previous post about this... here's my 2 cents.. DON'T UNDERESTIMATE the APPLE BEHEMOTH that it has become- they are now manufacturing products in Brazil and even here in the US, as for the smaller form factor iPad-Mini; YES they will def be releasing it prob in October more likely right before the Thanksgiving Holiday to catch the XMAS rush so as not to take away any thunder from the new and IMPROVED WORLD iPhone 5 (of which I will be spending the night outside the store to get my hands on and YES these things will SELL LIKE HOTCAKES and FLY, FLY, FLY off the shelves much faster than the regular iPad model because many, many people have a price break point (that would be around the $250-$300.) that they could justify spending and the kids will FREAK OUT when they get their hands on this little device (Nintendo, Wi and Sony you guys better get back to the drawing board) they will NEVER PUT it DOWN and the KINDLE FIRE will ... well just go up in SMOKE and they will have to have that final FIRE SALE like they intended from the beginning.

BitzandBitez

I can see that. The only correction I'd make is that they'd try to ship it no later than the 3rd week of October. You need to be in stores by Thanksgiving weekend but you also need to have the product known to buyers for several weeks so they can plan for that purchase.

At $199-$299, I think $249 is probably an ideal balance but i think Apple could get away with $299 and have it be fairly limited, like the Nexus 7 Google is pushing as a consumption device. One reason it can be higher price is that it's an Apple product which means support in ways others can't begin to offer. It would also have a much larger screen if we are to believe a 7.85" 4:3 display.

What countries would they sell it in? North America sans Central America, Western Europe, Australia and Japan? It seems to me that if they were readying such a product there would be component leaks just like we're seeing with the 6th gen iPhone (which I think are legit).

As for the Brasil and US production the reason for Brasil has to do with their import tariffs and the only US production is for highly automated components like an ASIC and display. If there are to be tens of millions of iPad minis sold this year the highest likelihood is that they will be assembled in China.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

Slow news day when the top story is a rumored iPhone 5 case. Meh!

You have got to be kidding me.

• Reply 16 of 29
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

I think this is way off track.  If Apple is creating a phone case, wouldn't it be some kind of inductive charging case?  A case with a stand is old news.

My opinion, of course.

• Reply 17 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

If Apple is creating a phone case, wouldn't it be some kind of inductive charging case?

Uh… no. That's nothing but a gimmick.

• Reply 18 of 29
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This would make no sense in that they are different devices intended for different uses with different form factors.  

The touch and the iPhone are mobile communication devices with attached media players and gaming.  

The iPad is a full fledged computer.

The iPad is a full fledged compter????

I will compile my next C# project on it then ;-)

• Reply 19 of 29
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

The iPad is a full fledged compter????

I will compile my next C# project on it then ;-)

You should be able to

• Reply 20 of 29
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

delete please.