Rumor: Next-gen iPhone, 'iPad mini,' new iPod nano to debut on Sept. 12

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no…

"Apple is going to give the iPhone 3GS an A4 chip and drop the iPhone 4!" 

What absolute nonsense is that. How does that make any sense?

Cheaper to manufacture?
  • Reply 42 of 58
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    carmissimo wrote: »
    I don't think we'll see a $299 iPad 2 but I could see an update to the iPad 2, retaining the lower-resolution screen, sticking around at the $399 price point. Upgrade the processor, that sort of thing. 

By the way, I bought the 2 when the 3 came out and have not regretted it. It doesn't feel like that much of a compromise considering the $100 you save. Eventually I'll upgrade to the top-of-the-line iPad but by then I expect the device to be lighter and run cooler. 

The only disappointment I have with the iPad 3 compared to the iPad 2 is that the iPad 3 is an all workday machine. The kids ipad2 is an all day and most of the evening device.

My first iPad 3 did get hot but I had to exchange it because of screen issues. The new one really doesn't warm up much even when being pushed hard.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Cheaper to manufacture?

7-bar number readouts are still being made. The TI-83 has the same hardware as it did in 1996. Stuff in this industry stays cheap as long as it's still being made. RAM prices only skyrocket on older models because the supply of old sticks is cut off. As long as Apple wants to keep making the A5, et. al., the iPad 2 will stay cheap.

• Reply 44 of 58
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If they release a 7" iPad mini the press will report it as Apple being forced to respond to Amazon and Google. I'd love for them to do something that would deal with the whole price umbrella issue without looking like a reaction to the Nexus 7. A bigger iPod touch could be such a product. The Touch will have to be bigger (or be phased out) if the iPhone gets bigger.

I don't think this will happen (iPod touch iPad lines merging), as they are two different products with different intended uses, filling two different niches.  I don't know anyone who currently uses an iPad who would substitute even a 5-7" iPod touch for it. I know I wouldn't.  I think this idea is mostly floated by current users of iPod touch who wouldn't mind a much bigger screen as iPod touch users tend to be gamers, young males etc., who are heavily influenced by the Android marketing (bigger screens are better and so forth).  

It makes much more sense that the new iPod touch will have the elongated 16:9 screen of the new iPhone and the new iPad mini will have the same 4:3 screen of the iPad "regular."  The iPad mini will no doubt be aimed at the same market as the regular iPad, not the iPod touch market which is much smaller and much more "niche."  Making it just a larger iPod touch will limit it's available market, cutting it off at the knees for no good reason.  

I don't think the press will be able to downplay the iPad mini or position it as simply a response to the Nexus 7 as it will be a quite different device from every other 7"-8" tablet.  It won't be 16:9.  It won't be just for watching movies and playing games.  It will have the bigger bezels and the square shape.  It won't fit in even a large pocket.  It will be an iPad for kids.  Lighter, smaller, cheaper etc. but still an iPad.  

• Reply 45 of 58
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member

They aren't making an iPad Mini.. Tim Cook said they only do the best products they can at the Q3 Report. I'm also laughing at the rumor about this iPhone prototype... it has 2 types of materials, which means this is not a final. As for the new iPod nano... with a single home button??? don't you guys get it? it's the new iPhone. The new iPhone looks like an iPod nano. The sides will be similar to those of an iPod Nano (latest gen) and it'll maintain the curved round edges. That or they are finally intergrating iTunes and iTunes wireless syncing into the rest of their iPod lineup... which is not a bad idea. I'd put ping (the music social network) on it as well on the music app on my ipod touch.

• Reply 46 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

The only disappointment I have with the iPad 3 compared to the iPad 2 is that the iPad 3 is an all workday machine. The kids ipad2 is an all day and most of the evening device.

My first iPad 3 did get hot but I had to exchange it because of screen issues. The new one really doesn't warm up much even when being pushed hard.

That'll probably be fixed with the newer iPad... Supposedly Apple is going to use new single cell screens with built in multi sensors that it's suppliers have been manufacturing (makes the screen thinner and not heat up) inside their iPad next year. I just hope they do the same for their iPods and well probably see it in the new iPhone coming out this fall.

• Reply 47 of 58
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Not much is known about a new iPod nano, but some sources have claimed the device will eschew its current square-shaped design for something closer to a shrunken iPhone and add a home button.

Interesting.  Maybe the current square iPod nano will be branched off into an Apple "watch" line.

And maybe Apple will start a "wearable device" line in general.

And maybe the current square iPad nano could be used as 'prior art' in the inevitable law suits.

I hope that not too many of you loyal AppleInsider contributors have bought in to those "smart watch" Kickstarter projects.

They are all at risk of getting 'Sherlocked' soon.

• Reply 48 of 58

I think the new iPod lineup will get the A5 processor and 512mb of ram in their 5th gen update, as well as the new thinner screen multitouch technology when it's ready for mass production. Since the A5 can be now made in 28 nm techology ( found already in the iPad 2 Revision A, it'll get a battery boost, and most likely use a larger screen, (the same size an iPhone right now, or the new iPhone's screen size, if they changed it, (which they probably did)

I predict that the newest iPods (not the touch) [the nano and ipod classic] will have iTunes and Ping built into them, so we can download music, podcasts, and movies, and have the ability to share our photostreams to other devices with nfc. And the new standard 19 pin connector will have thunderbolt tech built in. I also predict that apple is working on making an all glass ipod model in the next 5 years, being the next generation ipod classic with a larger sized retina display than the current ipod classics size. ( and i predict this because they already use glass trackpads on their macbooks, which means the click wheel will get glass shortly)

• Reply 49 of 58
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Interesting.  Maybe the current square iPod nano will be branched off into an Apple "watch" line.

And maybe Apple will start a "wearable device" line in general.

And maybe the current square iPad nano could be used as 'prior art' in the inevitable law suits.

I hope that not too many of you loyal AppleInsider contributors have bought in to those "smart watch" Kickstarter projects.

They are all at risk of getting 'Sherlocked' soon.

Of all the potential Apple products being touted the iWatch is probably the one that I find most exciting.

If millions of people are willing to pay for a device that doesn't exist yet then clearly there is a demand for a smart watch. I think it raised more money than any other product or something like that. Given that we've seen absolutely no parts leaks to suggest an iWatch exists it leads me to think it won't happen this year if it ever happens, which is a shame as I'm certain it would prove very popular. So maybe the Kickstarter investors have nothing to worry about.

• Reply 50 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    strat09 wrote: »
    I think the new iPod lineup will get the A5 processor and 512mb of ram in their 5th gen update, as well as the new thinner screen multitouch technology when it's ready for mass production. Since the A5 can be now made in 28 nm techology ( found already in the iPad 2 Revision A, it'll get a battery boost, and most likely use a larger screen, (the same size an iPhone right now, or the new iPhone's screen size, if they changed it, (which they probably did)

I predict that the newest iPods (not the touch) [the nano and ipod classic] will have iTunes and Ping built into them, so we can download music, podcasts, and movies, and have the ability to share our photostreams to other devices with nfc. And the new standard 19 pin connector will have thunderbolt tech built in. I also predict that apple is working on making an all glass ipod model in the next 5 years, being the next generation ipod classic with a larger sized retina display than the current ipod classics size. ( and i predict this because they already use glass trackpads on their macbooks, which means the click wheel will get glass shortly)

If they do keep the internals a year behind the iPhone that does allow them to lower the price even more. Right now it's very close to the presumed iPad Mini price and while there are distinct differences in costs that make such a compact tech device so much cheaper than a larger tech device I think psychologically people aren't going to see it that way. I'd expect at least a $50 difference between the iPod Touch and iPad Mini of the same capacity.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

That much is quite obvious.

Well, actually, I'm a mock iSheep.

• Reply 52 of 58

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

I'm also laughing at the rumor about this iPhone prototype... it has 2 types of materials, which means this is not a final.

Why?

As for the new iPod nano... with a single home button??? don't you guys get it? it's the new iPhone. The new iPhone looks like an iPod nano.

The new iPhone is a 1" square?

The sides will be similar to those of an iPod Nano (latest gen) and it'll maintain the curved round edges.

So like that iPhone prototype from 2006, then. Like a taller version of the current nano, but with inverted curved/flat sides.

That or they are finally intergrating iTunes and iTunes wireless syncing into the rest of their iPod lineup... which is not a bad idea.

Other than the waste of power and otherwise uselessness that Wi-Fi inclusion would bring. I'm not saying that ultra-low power Wi-Fi chips won't ever exist, I'm saying they don't really now.

I'd put ping (the music social network) on it as well on the music app on my ipod touch.

Why does everyone keep talking about Ping? They're discontinuing Ping.

• Reply 53 of 58
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I also think Apple design improvement are very ordinary with the iphone. Leaks point an "OK" upgrade, but certainly nothing with a "WoW" factor. But until the event happens, we dont know what they are going to release.

I wish they keep the square ipod nano, its being used like a watch by a lot of people. I would rather have a bigger ipod touch, something with a screen between 4.5" to 5".    

I like the MBP improvements and the ipad new rumor 7" ipad with the same resolution of the ipad1&2.

Wow, they will probably have a Quad core processor just like the latest generation of high end Android phones, the screen resolution improvements were done two years ago along with improvements to camera optics, just a few of the things high end Android phones have been playing catch up on.

Wow.

• Reply 54 of 58

I still have yet to see any notion of a 2009 repeat in carrier remorse for lack of facilities supporting new phones. Back in 2009, there were what..roughly 40 markets with 3G at the time that Apple released the 3G iPhone? And how many locations are still lacking standard 3G service? I expect a lot of buyers remorse over a new iphone, because carriers aren't supporting the connections. If anything, AT&T should be running scared of an LTE based iPhone, since they currently only have 40+ markets today with LTE. Question remains though, will consumers balk at a new iphone without cellular connectivity to the LTE network? 

• Reply 55 of 58
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

The iPad 2 will probably get discontinued next March when the iPad 4 comes out. The iPad Mini will fill that price point.

A $399 7-inch iPad Mini would be DOA. 

• Reply 56 of 58
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't think this will happen (iPod touch iPad lines merging), as they are two different products with different intended uses, filling two different niches.  I don't know anyone who currently uses an iPad who would substitute even a 5-7" iPod touch for it. I know I wouldn't.  I think this idea is mostly floated by current users of iPod touch who wouldn't mind a much bigger screen as iPod touch users tend to be gamers, young males etc., who are heavily influenced by the Android marketing (bigger screens are better and so forth).  

It makes much more sense that the new iPod touch will have the elongated 16:9 screen of the new iPhone and the new iPad mini will have the same 4:3 screen of the iPad "regular."  The iPad mini will no doubt be aimed at the same market as the regular iPad, not the iPod touch market which is much smaller and much more "niche."  Making it just a larger iPod touch will limit it's available market, cutting it off at the knees for no good reason.  

I don't think the press will be able to downplay the iPad mini or position it as simply a response to the Nexus 7 as it will be a quite different device from every other 7"-8" tablet.  It won't be 16:9.  It won't be just for watching movies and playing games.  It will have the bigger bezels and the square shape.  It won't fit in even a large pocket.  It will be an iPad for kids.  Lighter, smaller, cheaper etc. but still an iPad.  

What's the point of the iPad Mini? The Touch, especially if made a little larger, would be a fine portable device that one could easily slip into a pocket and the iPad is ideal as a substitute for laptops that had been put to less strenuous use. The iPad Mini would lose the portability advantages of the Touch and the ideal screen real estate of the iPad. In other words, the worst of both combined in one device. This is why Apple hasn't made a 7-inch tablet to this point. What has changed that would make a 7-inch tablet suddenly a good idea? 

Some people think they want a 7-inch tablet but Apple has never been about catering to what people think they want. At least under Jobs' watch, it wasn't about that. Keep in mind the key to Apple's success. It's not by focusing on making products that on paper would convince people to buy them but rather about making them happy they did, hence building up the brand. By making a great device that is enjoyable to use over the long haul, one ensures brand loyalty. While initially some would think the 7-inch form factor suited to their needs, once in daily use, what would linger would be the disappointment caused by less screen real estate. You live with a smaller screen's limitations with an iPhone or a Touch because you know that the device is intended to be pocketable. Good luck pocketing a tablet with a 7.85-inch screen. Peering into the future, by the way, it is inevitable that future generations of iPads will be lighter and as the iPad sheds weight, the biggest advantage one could claim for a smaller iPad is diminished. 

In regards to an iPad for kids, the children I have in my life have been thrilled with my iPad 2 whenever they've had a chance to get their hands on it. Children don't seem to have a problem with the current iPad form factor. Quite the opposite. 

• Reply 57 of 58

It can't be made of two materials on one side... That was ruled out by the 3GS... and alllllll of apple's designs now only use a unibody enclosure.

http://i.imgur.com/AVJHh.jpg

The design shown is what is thought to be an iPhone that looks like an iPod Nano. I'm thinking that the new iPhone looks like this, but it still has cruved round edges like the ones found in the 4S and 4th iPhone, making the device much more appealing and robust... It is made of only two pieces. The front glass and the rear encloser. Much like the latest gen iPod nano, saving time in manufacturing and allowing to package everything.

In the picture the device has a rear glass panel, that won't be there. And there will be a small glass piece that looks like this

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O                                     O

O                                       O

O                                       O

O                                     O

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   

( Change the color to black. to cover the wifi antena, one 8mp camera, and a rear microphone, along with the apple logo and manufactured in china designed in cupertino text.

The latest Nano Pin Connector was black, so the phone will come in black. 

Also it's not a waste of electricity... an iPod nano has a smaller screen and can use iTunes to help apple make more money, they can stream videos or tv shows as well, and NFC would allow users to send photos across all iDevices with a simple pass code Number combination. 

• Reply 58 of 58

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

It can't be made of two materials on one side... 

Mmm… physically it can.

That was ruled out by the 3GS... and alllllll of apple's designs now only use a unibody enclosure.

Mmm… nope. iPhone 4S sure doesn't. Nor does 2/3 of the AirPort family (I so want a LiquidMetal version of them).

The design shown is what is thought to be an iPhone that looks like an iPod Nano.

The Nokia Lumia 900 does a better job of that, I think.

The latest Nano Pin Connector was black, so the phone will come in black. 

That Apple would release a black device is a given, regardless of any other factors.