Apple expected to unveil next iPhone at September 12 event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple reportedly plans to announce its next-generation iPhone with a taller 4-inch display and a redesigned exterior at an as-yet-unannounced event on Sept. 12.

The well-connected Jim Dalrymple of The Loop issued a simple one-word "Yep" response to iMore's original Monday report which claimed Apple will hold a special event on Wednesday, Sept. 12 to launch the next-generation iPhone. He joins additional reports from iMore, All Things D, and others, all citing anonymous sources.

Apple's next iPhone is expected to feature a slightly taller 4-inch display, marking the first change to the iPhone's screen size since the handset debuted in 2007. As the company is believed to be ramping up production of its next iPhone ahead of a September debut, various parts claimed to be from Apple's next iPhone have leaked online, showing the taller screen, along with a smaller dock connector and a headphone jack moved to the bottom of the device.

Some of the leaked components also show a new space on the rear of the device next to the camera lens and flash. This has been interpreted by some to be a new rear-facing microphone that could improve sound quality for recorded videos.

The back panel of the device also sports a two-tone look, with black at the top and bottom of the device and a lighter shade in the middle where the Apple logo can be found. On the front, the parts show a centered FaceTime camera located above the earpiece, while the home button remains below the display.

prototype 1
Source: iLab Factory

Apple's next iPhone is also expected to add 4G LTE connectivity, which debuted in the new iPad earlier this year. Some reports have also claimed that Apple plans to add a new near-field communications chip that would allow for e-wallet transactions and other services through the new Passbook application in iOS 6.

If the leaks and rumors prove true, Apple is set to unveil on Sept. 12 the first major change to the iPhone design since mid-2010, when the iPhone 4 was launched. Last year's iPhone 4S features an external design largely similar to its predecessor.

In its report about Apple's component stock up for expected fall product launches, All Things D noted its sources have confirmed an earlier rumor from iMore that said Apple is planning on holding a special event on Wednesday, Sept. 12. Sources from The Verge concur, though they also don't know exactly what to expect from the event.

"Apple is currently planning an event for that week," the report said, "and while we haven?t yet confirmed its focus, history suggests it will indeed be the new iPhone. One thing?s for certain, though: Apple is ramping up for a big fall product cycle."

prototype 2

The first report from iMore claimed the Cupertino-based company would use the event as an opportunity to debut a next-generation iPhone, iPad mini and iPod nano, but nothing has been solidified and Apple has yet to issue an official statement.

All three reports come on the heels of pictures showing an alleged fully-assembled iPhone housing put together from "leaked" parts thought to be sourced from Chinese suppliers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    About Time... Now let's see if Apple can show us once again that it can still 'Think Different'.
  • Reply 2 of 53

FYI: there is a typo in the title:

'confrim' vs. confirm

• Reply 3 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ...Apple is planning on holding a special event next week on Sept. 12. [...] don't know what exactly is being planned for next Wednesday.

I'm fine with the typos and certain types of ambiguity but this is over the top and needs to be corrected.

daharder wrote: »
    About Time... Now let's see if Apple can show us once again that it can still 'Think Different'.

Enough with these lame talking points. For once how about listening to what Steve Jobs has actually said:

"I don't think it's good that Apple's perceived as different. I think it's important that Apple's perceived as much better. And, in fact, if being different is essential to doing that then we have to do that. But if we could be much better without being different then that would be fine with me.

I want to be much better. I don't care about being different. We'll have to be different in some ways to be much better, but that's the prize — wouldn't you agree?"
  • Reply 4 of 53
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member

"Apple is planning on holding a special event next week on Sept. 12."

Sept 12 doesn't happen until well into September. Next week would reach no further than Aug 4th.

• Reply 5 of 53
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member

Perhaps Apple has innovated a way to make Sept 12th occur next week?   image

• Reply 6 of 53
    11thindian11thindian Posts: 181member

Jim Dalrymple of THE LOOP just put the lock on this with usually curt, "Yep."

• Reply 7 of 53
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Enough with these lame talking points. For once how about listening to what Steve Jobs has actually said:

"I don't think it's good that Apple's perceived as different. I think it's important that Apple's perceived as much better. And, in fact, if being different is essential to doing that then we have to do that. But if we could be much better without being different then that would be fine with me.

I want to be much better. I don't care about being different. We'll have to be different in some ways to be much better, but that's the prize — wouldn't you agree?"

That pretty much captures the difference between being at the helm of a company at 25 and at 45.  At 25, you still see yourself as an outsider with something to prove.  You're so focused on being different from the generation before you and setting yourself apart that you lose sight of what really makes a company successful: being better.  Sometimes that comes via unique ideas, sometimes it comes via the refinement of existing ideas, sometimes it even comes from shaping the experience surrounding your products.  But it should always be the main motivation, not difference alone.

• Reply 8 of 53
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

That would be a nice surprise. As I just said in another post in a different thread, I think the delay for the 4S released mucked things up a bit. Releasing the next iPhone in 11 months instead of 12 would help right the ship a bit. I would love to see a permanent 11 month release schedule in fact since that would be more in line with the 20 month full upgrade credit most carriers offer. It sucks to have your upgrade credit ready but needing to wait 4 more months for Apple to release the next model. They wouldn't need to do 11 months every year because sometimes they are waiting for key components to become available, but certainly between 11 and 12 months between releases at a maximum is a good goal. 

• Reply 9 of 53
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

... I would love to see a permanent 11 month release schedule in fact since that would be more in line with the 20 month full upgrade credit most carriers offer. ...

This makes no sense.  If they did an 11 month cycle then in no time at all they would be releasing the iPhone in the summer instead of the Fall.  

• Reply 10 of 53
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't done their usual legal pull-down of the "leak" images yet… 

I do have one question regarding the images at iLab Factory though… 

Look at the large photo used in this AI article. It shows a closeup of the +/- volume buttons… Note the direction/alignment of the minus button. The minus line clearly runs front to back right?

Now, look at the next gallery photo here:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/29/3200086/ilab-factory-iphone-5-pictures#3605886

It shows the iPhone lying flat. Look again at the direction/alignment of the minus button… the line clearly runs top to bottom, not front to back. Review the previous two photos in the gallery and the minus button is front to back in both of those.

I'm not saying this is faked, but… can someone explain the discrepancy here?

• Reply 11 of 53

What about the iPod Touch?

• Reply 12 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I'm surprised that Apple hasn't done their usual legal pull-down of the "leak" images yet… 

They haven't done that for over three years. It proves that the images were real. They've learned not to be so overt.

• Reply 13 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This makes no sense.  If they did an 11 month cycle then in no time at all they would be releasing the iPhone in the summer instead of the Fall.  

And? They had a summer release for several years. What is wrong with a summer release. I also think 11 months every year is unrealistic and some years they might slip to 12, 13 or even 15 months like last year due to many factors. Ideally, they would release it on the same date every year at exactly 12 month intervals. I simply said it would be a nice goal given the upgrade credit people get on carriers at 20 months. 

• Reply 14 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »

And then it would be on top of the iPad and then in December and November when no products are typically launched.

I said last year that the Autumn release seems likely because the iPod demand is waning and they need a product for the holiday season. On top of that, Summer isn't a great time to launch most products. That said, if this rumoured $199 iPad Mini was on the table back then — which i don't think will happen at that price — then I would have stated that is an ideal wedge to prop up the drop in iPod sales for the holiday quarter as its cost is low enough.

Every 12 months around the Autumn or switch the iPad and iPhone so that the iPhone is in the Spring, but that would mean two Christmas seasons with the same iPhone unless they brought out a new model that could counter that view in the market. Still, I think that's unlikely.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

That should be reserved for Scamsung and everyone else that can't seem to innovate on their own without using Apple as their R&D department... 

• Reply 16 of 53

iPod touch sales have steadily declined and although a 4" touch with a faster CPU may revive sales to a degree, they really don'y impact iPhone buyers. iPod touch customers tend to own either dumb phones or Android phone but they want an easy way to test the iOS ecosystem or maybe their Android phone is not a good music/media player. I can't imagine too may iPhone owners also wanting an iPod touch. I agree that is makes sense to stagger product releases throughout the year and always stay in the news with some new product release. The iPad is more of a competitor since most people that just plunked down $500 or more for a new iPad might be more hesitant to buy an iPhone at the same time. Spacing them 6 months apart makes a lot of sense. Also since the iPad is so much larger and heat dissipation isn't as important as it is on the iPhone so they can test out the new CPU/GPU on the iPad first.  That leaves the Apple TV, Macs, and other products to keep Apple in the news in the remaining two quarters.

Since iPhone sales are tied to contracts it is not that easy to buy someone a new iPhone for Christmas. Unless you plan on buying one at full price (unlikely) you would need to know their upgrade date and hope that it falls in early December. Those upgrades are scattered throughout the year. 

• Reply 17 of 53
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Two or three events per year. So 3 days of the facts and 362 we get to hear wild speculation and rumors. New 7" iPad will actually be the new iPod Touch. If it isn't why would anyone pay $179 for the current Touch design?
  • Reply 18 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Stop insulting our intelligence, and pretending you haven't already made up your mind about what you're going to say about what they will show, regardless of what it is. Pretending you plan to look at it with an open mind is a pathetic lie, based on your posting history. And Apple isn't in a position to prove anything to anyone, the latest things we've seen from them (Retina iPad, Retina MBP, iOS6 preview) have shown that they're still at the very top of their game, with the best tablet on the planet, and the best laptop on the planet, technically and otherwise, both in a league of their own. Apple doesn't need to 'show' you, specifically, anything. It just needs to continue to make awesome, well designed and well thought out products. 

• Reply 19 of 53
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    What about the iPod Touch?

Replaced by the iPad 'Mini'?

We'll See...
  • Reply 20 of 53
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm fine with the typos and certain types of ambiguity but this is over the top and needs to be corrected.

You know what DaHarder meant. When exactly did Apple stop using the phrase "Think Different" as their corporate moto or did you forget about that part of their corporate history.