Android loses ground, Apple's iPhone takes 33% of US smartphone market

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

"We are not sheep," said the crApple fanboy.

"The fact that the iPhone is more popular is proof that you should buy one without trying Android," added AF.

How the hell are people like this allowed to post, and not banned? What value can this blatant troll possibly contribute to any discussion?

• Reply 42 of 62
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm more interested in why the YoY adoption of smartphone are down about 6%.

Saturation maybe?
  • Reply 43 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Wow, the difference between the US and the rest of the world is very stark. 

I suspect it largely comes down to a combination of (1) price related issues and (2) completeness of Apple's ecosystem in the US. 

Regarding the first, the issue is that in the US, the perceived difference in price between Android phones and iPhones isn't as large, since the carriers absorb a big chunk of the difference. Internationally, end-users feel the full difference in phone prices. 

Regarding the second, Apple's whole "ecosystem" is just a lot better developed in the US (completeness of the iTunes and App stores, and just as importantly, the pervasiveness of the retail stores). 

If Apple can get out lower cost iPhone models internationally and build up the ecosystem, then perhaps Apple can replicate their success in the US globally. 

Some of the "smart phones" in parts of the world are barely more than a "feature phone," running an early version of Android. Those users have little need for an ecosystem. It's not to say that many of these present users will never become an iPhone user, but, for now their simple needs are being met.

• Reply 44 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm more interested in why the YoY adoption of smartphone are down about 6%.

The story gives the major reasons:

Quote:

Strategy Analytics said the primary reason for slowdown in the smartphone market is a volatile economy, as well as maturing penetration of smartphones among mobile subscribers. In addition, the firm said major operators are tightening their upgrade policies to improve profits.

• Reply 45 of 62
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"APPLE. IS. DOOMED."

"But Android is outshippingselling Apple!"

No, seriously, where are all those Android phones going?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Andy Rubin's address, to be counted by the Google activation counting machine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You registered, just to post that comment?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

How the hell are people like this allowed to post, and not banned? What value can this blatant troll possibly contribute to any discussion?

Lots of trolling indeed.

• Reply 46 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

great now not only will we celebrate when OSX finds itself at 11% to windows 89% - now we will also rejoice in a 56% to 33% difference as validation to greatness.

the underlined stupidity in both celebration is mind bending. 

I, personally, don't plan to celebrate until OSX breaks 12%, and maybe not even then as 15% would be more meaningful.

• Reply 47 of 62
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I, personally, don't plan to celebrate until OSX breaks 12%, and maybe not even then as 15% would be more meaningful.

Why do you even need to celebrate. Find what you want to use and use it. Be happy

• Reply 48 of 62

What exactly will you be celebrating?
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Some of the "smart phones" in parts of the world are barely more than a "feature phone," running an early version of Android. Those users have little need for an ecosystem. It's not to say that many of these present users will never become an iPhone user, but, for now their simple needs are being met.

Trust me there are a great many iPhones being used as glorified feature phones as well. I know several people with iPhones with very little or zero additional apps, they talk, text, take pics, and go on Facebook and that's it.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So most Android phones sold are cheaper, low end models?

PS remember this?

If you bothered to actually read both OPs you would see there is no contradiction. In the UK Android devices range from cheap 50 quid phones on PAYG to 500 quid phones on contract. The iPhone does not have the same price range with just 3 models and is still basically targeted at contract users. I wan't trying to make an anti Apple or pro Android point, just stating a fact.

• Reply 51 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No, he's on a "mission". He'll likely be back in a few months according to his posts.

Shame. It's better without his moronic posts. I was hoping he wouldn't come back.

• Reply 52 of 62

• Reply 53 of 62
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Not quite as impressive when you look at this chart. Samsung went from 20.2 to 50.5 YOY while Apple went from 20.3 to 26 million. It also went from 18.3% to 34.6% global market share while Apple actually lost ground. 

• Reply 54 of 62
    mieswallmieswall Posts: 84member

The China syndrome, it has been talked a lot. I believe one of the misleads of estimates of Q3 was about the mythical sales of Q2 in China, that, truly, were caused by their New Year. This phenomena is probably hard to understand for us.

Which means nothing assures that Q4, even with the new Ipad, will have good sales in China. Can't  understand why Apple is so loose about other markets, leaving the field clear for Scamsung to gain marketshare. Previously I thought it was a kind of demand-contention policy, given the limited production capacity, delaying some markets until the demand on developed ones begins to slowdown. But last Q numbers seems not to back up this theory anymore, since countries like India are still abandoned, with childish excuses, btw.

• Reply 55 of 62

Nationalism as well. South Koreans like to buy Samsung. Japanese like to buy Sony, etc etc.

• Reply 56 of 62
    jwdavjwdav Posts: 36member

They're dumb phones.

The graph is labeled "United States Smartphone Operating System Shipments" … which is a misleading way to measure all phones, smart, dumb or otherwise, that shipped with Android vs all phones, smart, dumb or otherwise that shipped with iOS.

Given that 70% of AT&T's smartphone sales were iPhone, 51% of Verizon's smartphone sales were iPhone and over 50% of Sprint's sales were iPhones, then T-Mobile must be kicking ass and taking names. These stats jive with the 65% iOS share seen by online analytics companies.

"The research firm found that the iPhone accounted for 33.2 percent of all smartphones shipped in America in the second quarter of 2012."

Now they've dropped "Smartphone Operating Systems" and compare "all smartphones", while measuring operating systems. 

Yet … the number don't add up to the quarterly sales reported by the carriers:

From AT&T:

Apple's iPhone continues to lead the way at AT&T. Of the 5.1 million smartphone sales during the quarter, the iPhone accounted for 3.7 million--or 73%--of all smartphones sold between April and June. Android and Windows Phone smartphones combined sold 1.4 million, with approximately 1.1 million for Android and 0.3 million for Windows Phone.

From Verizon:

Verizon Wireless noted that it sold 3.2 million Apple iPhones in the quarter, about 51% of the smartphones the carrier sold.

From Sprint:

Sprint, however, stayed consistent at 1.5 million units, though 44 percent of its first-quarter iPhones went to new subscribers.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    "We are not sheep," said the crApple fanboy.
    "The fact that the iPhone is more popular is proof that you should buy one without trying Android," added AF.
    To say people get Android phones because they are talked into it or don't know better (or think they are getting an iPhone) is BS.
    I HAD a 3GS as my first phone. When my contract ended I jailbroke it to get additional features. Then, when the battery faded I tried a Galaxy 2 as i liked a larger screen for nearly all my smart phone tasks- most involve typing. I also liked the options it provided that iPhone did not.
    I could have returned my phone for an IPhone 4 or 4s. I did not. I paid about $50 less but it's worth much more to me than that. Really,$ is a nonissue.  

Opinions and saying $ is a nonissue- coming from the person who is on the 2nd phone of their life... Hah!
  • Reply 58 of 62
    longfanglongfang Posts: 456member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Hm..., If Apple is GAINING market share in the declining US smartphone marketplace [the excuse was the economy according to the survey]  then Apple must be seriously LOSING market share overseas. The oversea's share of Apple sales is 26 million minus 7.9 million or about 18 million phones. Do you remember Apple's CEO mantra? Apple's growth is in China. Without China, Apple goes bye...bye..., kaputski. People mostly buy Iphone at cost overseas, and this is also why most Apple buyers over there are affluent people. People who can buy 10 Iphones for their families with cash. This is the place where Apple gets the real cold hard cash, and unfortunately, it is also where Apple hide most of its cash to avoid paying taxes. The current estimate of Apple's cash and investment "hidden" oversea is between US 70 billion to 90 Billion. It's a very tax-responsible company, isn't it? I am sure the Fed is very happy about that.

Almost everywhere else outside of North America, including  China [with its 1.5 Billion people], India [with its 1 Billion People], Indonesia [with 250 million people], and so on, Apple market share is quite negligible compare to Android's. Strangely enough, in Indonesia, RIM's Blackberry hold the number 1 position for smartphone's market share. Apple is indeed DOOMED outside the US and Canada, and you don't even have to go far to look at failing Apple growth strategy. You just have a look at the southern neighbor. Mexico's Iphone sales number is so tiny, it is actually a carbon copy of Apple's performance in most places around the world. Apple is mostly a dud outside its home turf. That will spell trouble with Apple's growth strategy coined by Cook.

Apple has already paid tax on those phones sold in China, just that its to the Chinese treasury and not the US one cause the profit from those phones was "earned" in China.

• Reply 59 of 62
    mocsegmocseg Posts: 86member

• Reply 60 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    longfang wrote: »
    Apple has already paid tax on those phones sold in China, just that its to the Chinese treasury and not the US one cause the profit from those phones was "earned" in China.

Not correct.

In international business, a useful starting point is to treat the entities as being completely unconnected. That is, Apple (China) manufactures phones and sells them to Apple (USA). Apple (China) makes a profit on the phones (i.e., selling price to Apple(USA) minus cost of production) and pays tax on that profit. Apple (USA) makes a profit on the phones (i.e., selling price to distributor or consumer minus amount paid to Apple(China) and other expenses) and pays taxes in the USA on that profit. Similarly, if Apple (China) sells a phone to a consumer in China, they have a profit (selling price minus cost of production and any amounts that they must pay to Apple(USA)).

So, both Apple(China) and Apple(USA) are earning a profit on iPhones.