Samsung exec says patent struggle with Apple is 'unreasonable'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an interview with Wired, Samsung's Chief Product Officer Kevin Packingham alludes to Apple's aggressive pursuit of patent litigation and finds it "unreasonable that we?re fighting over rectangles, that that?s being considered as an infringement."

The "rectangles" Packingham is referring to are Apple's design patents which are being asserted against certain Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets in a high-stakes California jury trial that started proceedings on Monday.

During the Wired interview, Packingham said Samsung is merely defending itself against claims that are "defying common sense."

"We?re all scratching our heads and saying, 'How is this possible that we?re actually having an industry-level debate and trying to stifle competition?'" Packingham said of the assertions being made against Samsung. "Consumers want rectangles and we?re fighting over whether you can deliver a product in the shape of a rectangle."

He goes on to say that a rectangle is not the product of research and development investments and while some of the South Korean company's products have such a shape, they aren't considered "to be an art or a science that [they've] created."

Packingham also calls on the technology industry as a whole to solve the allegedly broken U.S. patent system by not stifling competition with design patents that are not "particularly unique, and really don?t represent intellectual property."

Kevin Packingham
Samsung CPO Kevin Packingham. | Source: Wired


For its part, Samsung holds over 100,000 worldwide patents, some of which are design patents though the product chief is quick to point out that they are "not as simple as the rectangle," alluding to Apple's iPhone patent.

Apple is also described as being the lone aggressor among patent-holding tech companies.

"In the current environment, there?s just one company that?s firing the first shot consistently," Packingham said. "Most everybody else seems to be getting along really well. There are a few areas where there has been some contention recently, but if you look at those areas of contention, they were legitimate and people were able to come to terms, business terms, that were reasonable. That?s the way the system should work."

Apple first accused Samsung of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad and sued the Korean electronics giant in 2011, sparking what would becoome a worldwide patent struggle that now spans across 10 countries.

A California jury trial regarding the matter began on Monday and is seen as one of the most important patent cases in recent U.S. history.
«1345678

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 144
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    How stupid can someone possibly be? Even if he's being paid to play dumb, I wouldn't insult my own intelligence that much for the sake of the paper argument. I'd have my career after that company to think about. No one wants to hire someone so publicly stupid.

  • Reply 2 of 144
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,652member


    F#ck you Packingham.  Saying that same, tired, childish rant about rectangles just has you coming across like a slapping-b!tch for the those Korean Samsung boy-toys on the weekend.  Grow up. 

  • Reply 3 of 144
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    How stupid can someone possibly be? Even if he's being paid to play dumb, I wouldn't insult my own intelligence that much for the sake of the paper argument. I'd have my career after that company to think about. No one wants to hire someone so publicly stupid.



    image

  • Reply 3 of 144


    Must be the new battle cry ... "They're suing over rectangles!"


     


    Disingenuous.

  • Reply 5 of 144


    Samsung trying to get public opinion on their side now. They know they're are going to lose.

  • Reply 7 of 144
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member
    Where money is concerned anything is possible. If Google can be in perpetual state of denial, then why not this chump?
    How stupid can someone possibly be? Even if he's being paid to play dumb, I wouldn't insult my own intelligence that much for the sake of the paper argument. I'd have my career after that company to think about. No one wants to hire someone so publicly stupid.
  • Reply 8 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    700
    Idiot paid flack.

    He's standing next to rectangles made of glass edged in metal. I wonder if thinks Apple has a patent on those?
  • Reply 9 of 144
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post


    image



     


    Off-topic, but if you haven't seen the movie "Super" (2009?) with Dwight (above) in it, you are really missing something.  Fantastic, deep, and hilarious movie.  

  • Reply 10 of 144
    Really? Fighting over rectangles?

    Samsung, are you blind? How did tablets look like before the iPad came out? Some were so bulky and out of shape, they just look like 3D angled blobs!
    Well, once the iPad came out, "oh look!" all the tablets afterwards were rectangles with some kind of black border around the LCD screen!

    How did phones look like before the iPhone? Sure they might've been rectangles, but again, get had so many weird things sticking out, they were like blobs!
    Well look! Once the iPhone came out, "coincidentally" all the phones had rounded edges, flat front, black border around the screen. REALLY?

    Samsung, it's not rectangles we're talking about. It's about the overall design concept. Your galaxies look too much like the iPhone!
    Just think outside the box. Look what happend to your Galaxy s3. It has 2 different corners, and it just looks different than the iPhone! Your new galaxy iii isn't "rectangular" and they don't have black borders like all the iPhones.

    If you so strongly believed this argument is a stupid battle, well why did you change the overall design of Galaxy SIII??
  • Reply 11 of 144
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    How stupid can someone possibly be? Even if he's being paid to play dumb, I wouldn't insult my own intelligence that much for the sake of the paper argument. I'd have my career after that company to think about. No one wants to hire someone so publicly stupid.



     


    Well the whole "They want to patent rectangles!!!" argument is good in that it works to identify idiots and liars.  The second anyone trots it out you can immediately discount them as an idiot or someone being purposefully disingenuous.  

  • Reply 12 of 144
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member


    Of course Apple is suing aggressively. No one is copying Samsung or anyone else in smart phone or tablet markets. 

  • Reply 13 of 144


    It sounds like Peckerhand didn't read beyond the first line of the design patent. His statement regarding "rectangles" is nothing more then a straw man argument.


     


    While the U.S. patent law needs updating, and whether such updating even would effect this court case, current law is what it is, and Samsung has to live or die by what "is" and not what they wish it "is."


     


    Peckerhand needs to stop the verbal masturbation and deal with law as it currently is written.

  • Reply 14 of 144
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    How stupid can someone possibly be? Even if he's being paid to play dumb, I wouldn't insult my own intelligence that much for the sake of the paper argument. I'd have my career after that company to think about. No one wants to hire someone so publicly stupid.



     


    an employee backing their employer to the hilt is always classified as unemployable.

  • Reply 15 of 144
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 142member


    samsung didn't copy apple any more than that street vendor in downtown copied rolex.  how can you patent a circle?

  • Reply 16 of 144

    Quote:




    image


     


    Looks like someone installed some safety bars in front of Peckerhand's office window to keep him from "falling out."

  • Reply 17 of 144
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,652member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    he standing next to rectangles made of glass edged in metal. I wonder if thinks Apple has a patent on those?




    Shhh... I think Anderson's Windows has a patent on them... don't take the hot air out of Samsung's balloon... :)

  • Reply 18 of 144
    bcodebcode Posts: 138member


    image

  • Reply 19 of 144
    69ergoo69ergoo Posts: 42member


    Apple is going to win hands down in the US. The trial jury are no tech geeks, just ordinary people and they are not going to side with a foreign company period. I personally believe Samsung copied Apple's product designs in the first place and they should be punished for that. Samsung will be paying Apple some money once it's all over. Product sales ban is unlikely. 

  • Reply 20 of 144
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,980member
    You'd think the Chief Product Officer of Samsung could afford better fitting clothes plus not take a pic next to a dilapidated window.
Sign In or Register to comment.