Samsung exec says patent struggle with Apple is 'unreasonable'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 140
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

I totally feel sorry for Samsung after reading this article.

I mean, do they really deserve to be treated this way after revolutionising the music player and music industry in 2001, the mobile phone industry in 2007, the laptop market in 2008, and tablet market in 2010?

Apple should leave these poor innocent, innovative bastards the hell alone, and let them get back to work making the world a better place...

• Reply 22 of 140
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bcode wrote: »

Recently all the retorts to those images have been something along the lines of those were prototypes or Samsung was only foolin' or something.
  • Reply 23 of 140
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Wow, could there be any more piracy watermarks on that?

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He's standing next to rectangles made of glass edged in metal. I wonder if thinks Apple has a patent on those?

Gosh dang it, you beat me to it!

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

an employee backing their employer to the hilt is always classified as unemployable.

You're right. Why, Himmler found successful employment as a bootblack when Nazi Germany fell. OOPS I LOST THE ARGUMENT.

Originally Posted by 69ergoo View Post

The trial jury are no tech geeks, just ordinary people and they are not going to side with a foreign company period.

What about the Apple employees, the woman without a cell phone, and the Google UI designers that snuck in?

• Reply 24 of 140
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wow, could there be any more piracy watermarks on that?

• Reply 25 of 140
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

If it's just rectangles, then Apple is also suing Swanson for the design of their TV dinner boxes. 

• Reply 26 of 140

I agree it's disingenuous.

They're not arguing over rectangles, but something called 'trade dress'.  A C-level should (and undoubtedly does) understand this.  But he's trying to sway opinion, clearly.  Unfortunately, it's transparent to those who also know what the issue being discussed is.

• Reply 27 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimys1022 View Post

Really? Fighting over rectangles?

Samsung, are you blind? How did tablets look like before the iPad came out? Some were so bulky and out of shape, they just look like 3D angled blobs!

Well, once the iPad came out, "oh look!" all the tablets afterwards were rectangles with some kind of black border around the LCD screen!

How did phones look like before the iPhone? Sure they might've been rectangles, but again, get had so many weird things sticking out, they were like blobs!

Well look! Once the iPhone came out, "coincidentally" all the phones had rounded edges, flat front, black border around the screen. REALLY?

• Reply 28 of 140
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member

Prior to his gig at Samsung (he's been there 11 months), he was a VP at Sprint Nextel  

His LinkedIn profile:  www.linkedin.com/pub/kevin-packingham/0/17/7

That situation turned out very well 

• Reply 29 of 140
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

Unfortunately, it's transparent to those who also know what the issue being discussed is.

I was going to make a 'rectangular panes of glass' joke, but decided against it.

• Reply 30 of 140
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member

I just want to point out that his title on LinkedIn is "SVP of Product Development and Marketing" and not "Chief Product Officer".   FYI.  There is a big difference   

• Reply 31 of 140
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    When this is over it would be nice to see Samsung fined a couple of extra million for stupid excutive speak. The ripoff nature of Samsungs hardware is obvious to anybody with a reasonable mind. So unless Samsung can pay someone off it really don't see them winning.
  • Reply 32 of 140
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

When this is over it would be nice to see Samsung fined a couple of extra million for stupid excutive speak. The ripoff nature of Samsungs hardware is obvious to anybody with a reasonable mind. So unless Samsung can pay someone off it really don't see them winning.

maybe google can point to who they paid to win the oracle case.

• Reply 33 of 140
    hc6815hc6815 Posts: 4member

the before and after iphone/ipad picture doesn't prove samsung copied apple. if you read samsung's trial brief, you'll see samsung's internal design plans document dated 2006, before the iphone came out, that shows that Samsung had been planning rectangular, curved corner designs for their phones before the iphone came out, and thus didn't change their designs completely in response to Apple's iphone release in 2007

• Reply 34 of 140
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I think he may be right though!

Why can't Apple just relax, allow Samsung et al to steal ideas and IP, and sit back and watch them make billions doing so??!??!?

After all, Ive has just said that Apple isn't doing what they do to make money,

so why can't they simply celebrate others doing so...with Apple's ideas?

And before you say he's wrong about fighting over "rectangles",

remember the shape most currency comes in...

• Reply 35 of 140
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcallows View Post

samsung didn't copy apple any more than that street vendor in downtown copied rolex.  how can you patent a circle?

Sure they did and anyone who thinks they didn't is either blind, trolling, or retarded. Envy is a deadly sin! Patent infringement is illegal. If rectangles were the only reason they got a patent, I'd be amazed, but I'm not retarded enough to believe that Samsung didn't copy the iPhone & iPad.

• Reply 36 of 140
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Recently all the retorts to those images have been something along the lines of those were prototypes or Samsung was only foolin' or something.

Apple's lawyers should show those images to the jury. They tell it all.

• Reply 37 of 140
    sipsip Posts: 210member

This guy is unbelievable. Some of Samsung's product look almost like Apple's products, and we now learn that people have been returning their Samsung products simply because they are not iDevices like they thought.

And what about Samsung wanting more from Apple than other device manufacturers, in licensing fees for FRAND patents?

This whole lawsuit goes well beyond rectangles and Samsung knows it -- I think the set backs they've suffered so far has led to a PR-assault on Apple, trying to make ? look bad.

• Reply 38 of 140
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member

Wow, first it was the ads that mocked people for lining up for iPhones....

Samsung just keep on pressing the right buttons I have to say.

They must take ordinary people for retards to come up with such dumb statements. Have you seen a Samsung phone prior to the iPhone??? Yeah, it's all just a rectangle...what about multitouch?

I just had enough with this retarded company and will never buy a Samesung product again.

By the way, who cares what Kevin Packingham has to say. This douche was behind the launch of the Palm Pre when he was at Sprint. He has a record of bullshitting and as with the Pre, time will prove that he is on the wrong side of history.

• Reply 39 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant View Post

I just had enough with this retarded company and will never buy a Samesung product again.

Yeah you will.  The next time you buy an Apple product, you will be buying several Samsung products.  

You might not want to be a Samsung customer. You might think that it would be scummy to be a Samsung customer.

But one of Samsung's biggest customers is our own, dearly beloved Apple.

Ironic, ain't it?

• Reply 40 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an interview with Wired, Samsung's Chief Product Officer Kevin Packingham alludes to Apple's aggressive pursuit of patent litigation and finds it "unreasonable that we?re fighting over rectangles, that that?s being considered as an infringement."

"We're all scratching our heads and saying, 'How is this possible...?"

I'm scratching my head too, Kevin. Just not about the same thing, ya doofus.