Tim Cook is not the man to lead Apple longterm

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

So it hurts your feelings when people criticize Apple's products, is that it?  

Stick to the argument or don't bother bringing things up.

A scant handful of people keep screaming for an xMac. For nearly two decades they've done this. Apple couldn't care less. And these people couldn't care less to try something that isn't exactly what they think they want. It's time they look elsewhere.

• Reply 22 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A scant handful of people keep screaming for an xMac. For nearly two decades they've done this. Apple couldn't care less. And these people couldn't care less to try something that isn't exactly what they think they want. It's time they look elsewhere.

THIS.

• Reply 23 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

He's a tool because he focuses on their most profitable products by far?

http://www.wingsofreason.com/2012/07/26/apple-revenue-breakdown-july-quarters-2012-edition/

He's a tool because he axed a laptop model very few people were buying to make a model that is inundated with orders?

He could have improved the 17" MacBook Pro to improve sales, but that's a lot harder than just axing it.  

It makes sense in one way, since having the 17" MBP next to the Retina MBPs would lead to confusion between wanting the biggest screen or the highest resolution, so I'll give him that one.

Mainly though, Cook's specialty is managing production and distribution.  He's exceptionally good at that, but those skills aren't what's needed to lead in innovation.

• Reply 24 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I have looked elsewhere, I own a Mac Pro!  The issue is that it's overkill for my needs.  

Apparently you're feelings are hurt when people don't fluff Apple's product lines.  You think Apple's product matrix is perfect as it is.  You berate and marginalize anyone who doesn't agree with you're uncritical assesment of Apple products.  

You know what says it all?  You telling me to go buy a PC.  I've been using Macs since 1987, and currently own a Mac Pro, two Minis, an iMac and a 17" MBP.  It's difficult to overestimate my love for the Macintosh platform.  Yet you would have me dump Macs because I'm critical of Apple's product lineup.  

Again, why are you here?  There are better forums for Apple Kool Aid drinkers.

• Reply 25 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Yet you would have me dump Macs because I'm critical of Apple's product lineup.  

Every single sentence in that post is wrong, but I'll address this one specifically.

I'd have you dump Macs because after sixteen years of them not doing what you want, you still whine on forums about how you want them to change. This isn't how you get things to actually happen. You stop buying Apple products and go buy what you actually want. If enough people do it, then Apple changes.

• Reply 26 of 27
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    I am slightly hesitant about Apple at this stage. They seem to be completing the story arc of Steve, which is great, and I still love Apple stuff (there aren't any real alternatives, honestly, for the spaces that Apple focuses on).

But 2013 will see the next wave under Cook. So the jury is still out, and I'm not placing my bets just yet.

I have been very keen to develop iBooks2 but something feels a bit funny about iPad 7".
  • Reply 27 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Cook is a tool, all he's good for is managing the status quo.  

His epic fail on the Mac Pro non-update was a joke.  And axing the 17" MacBook Pro?  Apple aren't serious about computing anymore, all they seem to care about are shiny baubles and gadgets.  

I'd like to see a CEO who would just up and set his balls on the table and introduce a headless iMac.  

So then Jobs, who showed little interest in big heavy desktops and clearly saw the future of computing as being mobile and ubiquitous, and who certainly never bothered with the often clamored for xMac, lacked "balls"?  Was a "tool" who was only good at "managing the status quo"? 

So I guess the idea is you wait till Jobs is gone so you can claim the fact that Apple (still) doesn't make the machines you personally want is an obvious sign of decline.  And if anyone doesn't buy it it must be because they're Apple sycophants, rather than your argument is incoherent or self-absorbed.  Because you'll notice that in all the years that Jobs presided over Apple's renaissance, many of those years featured "managing the status quo", i.e. incremental upgrades to existing products.  He didn't bring out world changing new categories every year, or even every other year.  And he certainly didn't worry much about freaking out Apple's customers by dropping products or changing focus.

So how about you give Cook's Apple a little time to see what's in the pipeline, before you dismiss Apple as being a bauble company with no balls.  An attitude which doesn't require Apple apologetics to see is merely cranky and clueless.