Hulu Plus launches on Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday quietly updated the Apple TV set-top box, adding a new application for the Hulu Plus streaming video service.

The subscription service appeared on users' Apple TV home screens on Tuesday without the need for a software update. Those who subscribe to the Hulu Plus service can log in to access their account, while new users are offered a free one-week trial.

Hulu Plus joins Netflix, MLB.TV, the NBA, NHL, Vimeo, YouTube, and WSJ Live as third-party content providers available on the Apple TV. They join Apple's own iTunes content available for sale or rental.

The $7.99-per-month Hulu Plus service debuted in mid-2010, offering access to back episodes of popular shows like "Family Guy," "Modern Family" and "Glee." Users of the service have previously been able to access Hulu Plus on their iPhone or iPad.

Apple has steadily added new applications to the Apple TV even without the availability of a dedicated App Store, like exists on the iPhone, iPad and even Mac platforms. Streaming MLB and NBA games were added along with 5.1 sound support for Netflix in March of 2011, while NHL games, Wall Street Journal Live, Photo Stream, AirPlay Mirroring and iTunes Trailers were added with a software update last October.

Hulu Plus

This fall, the functionality of the Apple TV will grow with the launch of iOS 6. Developer previews of the forthcoming software update have the added ability to reorder icons on the Apple TV home screen, much like users can do on an iPhone or iPad. The third iOS 6 beta for Apple TV also added enhanced AirPlay control, allowing users to actively stream audio to external AirPlay-capable speakers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    My only issue is that if this is just like the iPad version you can't watch the stuff that is free on the computer. You can only see anything if you are paying and that irks me
  • Reply 2 of 75
    cmfilmscmfilms Posts: 20member

Wow. $10/month to sit through a s#!t-ton of advertisements? Where do I sign up?

• Reply 3 of 75

Please allow third party services...

The Apple TV is pretty much useless in the UK.

If they were to allow iPlayer, Demand 5, 4OD and iTV Player then they would have a very desirable box...

Still, even without these its a good box. It could be so much more though with a few software improvements.

• Reply 4 of 75
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

IPlayer to Apple TV is something I've being predicting for the past 2 years. Its a logical win win for both parties, once all the studio licenses, etc get resolved. A possible hint is the amount of Disney movies found in their film  library. Bob Iger prepping

• Reply 5 of 75
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

Well that's big.

• Reply 6 of 75

Same here. But its yet to happen. They could of ironed it out by now if they were really interested.

• Reply 7 of 75
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

If they were to allow iPlayer, Demand 5, 4OD and iTV Player then they would have a very desirable box...

Still, even without these its a good box. It could be so much more though with a few software improvements.

I'm sure that's something they're working on considering all of the 3rd party media they've already added in the US. But to make development of 3rd party apps happen faster they should just come out with an SDK. Even if initially they only allows video and media apps it would certainly hasten European Media outlets getting their apps out on the Apple TV platform.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmfilms View Post

Wow I didn't realize Hulu Plus still had ads.

I like the standard Hulu and it's a really great way to catch some of the latest episodes of shows you missed for free. I've always thought Apple should consider a similar model and maybe push iAds for video so they can offer shows for free and still make a profit. I'm sure far more people would download or stream shows from iTunes if they were free (even if they had to sit through a few iAds).

• Reply 8 of 75
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

I checked my AppleTV and it just shows up, I didn't need to upgrade any software. Hulu Plus gives you a month for free, then it's $8/mo after that. People say cableTV is expensive but if I start adding up all the streaming sites, I'm sure it will cost more than a simple package from Comcast (even though I don't watch 60% of the channels I pay for).

• Reply 9 of 75

I want to see pictures (and video) of the UI on Apple TV (I'll find out in a few minutes). It was horrid on my Roku, and very slow loading content. That's the main reason I cancelled, then sold the Roku.

How about Crackle? I'd like to see that added, too! I don't mind the commercials from a FREE app.

Oh, and Hulu Plus is still $7.99

I just signed up again through Best Buy Reward Zone Silver Member Program Partners Offers - 1st month free, and 100 points per month for 6 months. :) 

• Reply 10 of 75
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

Same here. But its yet to happen. They could of ironed it out by now if they were really interested.

> I cut my Cablevision Cable last year, I can survive happily with the Iplayer (with a VPN) & Netflix. Access to the iPlayer in the US would be a content game changer, plus it would be handy for Jony.

• Reply 11 of 75
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member

Welcome to post-Jobs, disorganized & confused Apple.

Where Hulu Plus makes an announcement about this on their blog, but Apple's website doesn't list it anywhere.

• Reply 12 of 75
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    HBO Go next please!
  • Reply 13 of 75
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Excellent. Hulu+ may be eight bucks a month, but for that you get many more episodes of current shows and some full seasons.

I almost never watch live TV.

• Reply 14 of 75
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member

now we just need the SlingBox app and the ATV would be perfect!

• Reply 15 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmfilms View Post

Yeah, it's a pretty shit deal.  I don't know why people don't call this stuff out more.  

I'm guessing that despite the article not indicating such that this is another US only thing too.  I don't know what else they have on Hulu plus, but Family Guy and Modern Family are both currently available on Netflix and have been for some time and Glee is ... well, only a very limited audience even likes that show.  

If it didn't have commercials, and had a lot of stuff to offer I might be tempted but their offerings are weak.

The commercials are pretty outrageous also.  Pretty much the whole point and the chief bonus of switching from cable to Internet TV is the complete lack of commercial interruption.  If I'm paying $8 a month, why the f*ck should I have to or want to watch commercials?

• Reply 16 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

Probably no consolation but it's the same in Canada.  

Pretty much all of the add-ons and services you hear about in the tech press for Apple TV are only available in the USA.  

In Canada, you can't even buy stuff on the AppleTV even though the programs are available to buy in iTunes on your computer in the next room.  The prices are shite of course, but even so, if I can buy something in one room of my house, not being able to buy it in another on a similar device connected to the same network is just ridiculous. Even worse is that you *used* to be able to do this, but then they took it away, and It's been that way for almost two years now.  

I seriously don't see how they expect AppleTV to catch on with all this nonsense and unreliability built into the model.  

• Reply 17 of 75
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

An Apple-sanctioned PLEX AppleTV app would be awesome, but Hulu+ is cool too.

• Reply 18 of 75
    basilbasil Posts: 6member

Hulu Plus is a great addition to Apple TV. I've enjoyed Hulu Plus on my Roku devices for some time. I'm glad to see it's now available on my Apple TV devices.

Yes, it's $8/month. Like it's always been.

And, yes, there are commercials, like there have always been. But, I consider that I used to pay $60/month for cable TV that included commercials, and now I pay $8/month for TV that includes fewer commercials.

And, no, Hulu Plus isn't a complete replacement for cable or satellite. At least, not for everybody. But, it was good enough for me. Hulu Plus, along with iTunes TV show purchases (used to be rentals, before that option went away), means that for the last year-and-a-half, I'm paying a heckuva lot less for TV.

And, no, you can't watch standard (free) Hulu content on it. Just like always. And just like on every other device. That's not Apple's fault, and it's not Hulu's fault. That's the content rights owners that are preventing the content from being streamed to a mobile or set-top box. No, I don't like it. But, I don't blame Chevrolet is there's not a road going where I want to go.

This is a plus for Apple TV.

• Reply 19 of 75
    basilbasil Posts: 6member

Hulu Plus is a great addition to Apple TV. I've enjoyed Hulu Plus on my Roku devices for some time. I'm glad to see it's now available on my Apple TV devices.

Yes, it's $8/month. Like it's always been.

And, yes, there are commercials, like there have always been. But, I consider that I used to pay $60/month for cable TV that included commercials, and now I pay $8/month for TV that includes fewer commercials.

And, no, Hulu Plus isn't a complete replacement for cable or satellite. At least, not for everybody. But, it was good enough for me. Hulu Plus, along with iTunes TV show purchases (used to be rentals, before that option went away), means that for the last year-and-a-half, I'm paying a heckuva lot less for TV.

And, no, you can't watch standard (free) Hulu content on it. Just like always. And just like on every other device. That's not Apple's fault, and it's not Hulu's fault. That's the content rights owners that are preventing the content from being streamed to a mobile or set-top box. No, I don't like it. But, I don't blame Chevrolet is there's not a road going where I want to go.

This is a plus for Apple TV.

• Reply 20 of 75
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Who says it's Apple not allowing it.