Samsung exec says patent struggle with Apple is 'unreasonable'

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 140
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why? What's it got to do with you? Let Apple and Samsung figure it out. That's what the courts are there for. 

This happens every day in other industries. Tech is no exception. You just read about it a lot because tech is an area of interest. 

Worrying about litigation in tech doesn't make my Mac run any faster. And I must say, it does run nicely with Mountain Lion. 

It has to do with everyone. The money (10% of the total R&D in the U.S.) goes to lawyers instead of innovation. Also, people are less than willing to quickly invest in technologies when they fear such a tech will simply create another lawyer-fest. This has a negative effect on growth, so it does bother me, and it should bother you. 

• Reply 122 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

If people are actually going to Best Buy and leaving with what they think is an iPad when really they went home with a Galaxy Tab...that's a problem.

BS and hearsay. If a person ACTUALLY spends several hundred dollars on a tablet and cannot deduce that it is or is not an Apple iPad versus a Samsung Tablet (or other tablet) then the problem doesn't have anything to do with whether the products look similar or not. This would be due to a lack of mental capability or a lack of literacy. Sorry. Not. Going. To. Believe. This. BS. The box clearly states what company makes the product, whether it be Apple or Samsung (or Sony, Toshiba, etc).  Now if someone is told by a saleperson that the Android tablet will do the same thing that an iPad will do and the customer isn't happy with the Android experience, then that is a totally different story than completely confusing the two products. Again...total BS.

• Reply 123 of 140

and if xerox didn't create the first visual OS, you'd never have your mac.

Apple never magically rose with all the tech in there pocket, they strategically stole it, borrowed it or paid for it. Cue Microsoft, and probably ever other tech firm in the worlds market.

• Reply 124 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimys1022 View Post

Oh yeah? Well, when did the Android OS come out? Didn't it kind of look like Apple's iOS? 

Google used Apple's open-source mobile Safari's infrastructure... now that's strange. Google should be glad Apple made such a great mobile web browser's infrastructure open-sourced, or Google will get sued fast.

Multitouch technology? Steve said Apple patented it. Well look what happened. Android OS started supporting it, and that's why Steve hates Androids. Multitouch is a true innovation. Apple invented it. They deserve to own it.

Sure, Apple copied the Android's Notification Bar. But believe me, if Apple never made iOS, Android wouldn't exist either. That's how much Android copied the iOS.

I thought Apple didn't copy, but instead innovated? Uh, Steve doesn't hate Androids, he hated (past tense - he is dead) the Android OS. Big difference.

• Reply 125 of 140
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

Quote:

Originally Posted by truthbetold View Post

Apple never magically rose with all the tech in there pocket, they strategically stole it, borrowed it or paid for it. Cue Microsoft, and probably ever other tech firm in the worlds market.

Key word here, strategically.  No one is saying that Apple doesn't steal or borrow or outright buy up innovation.  I'd say that's par for the technology course.

The difference is that Apple does its best to steal great ideas that are not yet patented.  Samsung is trying to pass off patented ideas that pre-date everyones products as "standards essential".

Is Apple any more "morally" right?  Of course not, but are they more legally right?  You'd better believe it.

• Reply 126 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimys1022 View Post

So Samsung copies instead of innovating? Just what I thought.

And no need to be a grammar-freak. That's what happens when one doesn't have any points to argue about.

Samsung spent over $3.5 billion on R&D last year. Don't tell me that Samsung doesn't innovate. Actually, I just have a problem with people who are too lazy to correct their errors. Perhaps these are the people supposedly spent hundreds of dollars on tablets and didn't realize they were not iPads?

• Reply 127 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Key word here, strategically.  No one is saying that Apple doesn't steal or borrow or outright buy up innovation.  I'd say that's par for the technology course.

The difference is that Apple does its best to steal great ideas that are not yet patented.  Samsung is trying to pass off patented ideas that pre-date everyones products as "standards essential".

Is Apple any more "morally" right?  Of course not, but are they more legally right?  You'd better believe it.

And this is where the nonsense comes in. It is okay for Apple to steal, as along as they do it before the idea is patented. Sounds like much of these things shouldn't be awarded patents in the first place. 

• Reply 128 of 140
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lamewing wrote: »
    Samsung spent over $3.5 billion on R&D last year. Don't tell me that Samsung doesn't innovate. Actually, I just have a problem with people who are too lazy to correct their errors. Perhaps these are the people supposedly spent hundreds of dollars on tablets and didn't realize they were not iPads?

I don't doubt that Samsung spent billions on R&D. However, that's a totally irrelevant figure for 3 reasons:
    1. Expenditures != innovation. Innovation is measured by OUTPUT, not INPUT. And it's clear from the fact that everyone is copying Apple, that Apple is the leader in innovation
    2. Samsung makes a lot more than cell phones. They never announced how much of that was spent on mobile devices.
    3. Even if we knew how much was spent on mobile devices, much of Samsung's 'innovation' was released as FRAND and is accessible to everyone by Samsung's choice. That is not true for Apple.

You should probably get an education before further embarrassing yourself. Your version is very far from the truth.
    If people are actually going to Best Buy and leaving with what they think is an iPad when really they went home with a Galaxy Tab...that's a problem.

No need for the 'if'. Samsung's own documents state that it happened. In fact, it was one of the largest reasons for returns.

Not to mention, of course, that their own attorneys couldn't tell the difference.

Anyone saying that Samsung didn't copy the iPad is either lying or blind.
  • Reply 129 of 140

This whole "someone got a galaxy instead of an ipad thing," is simply human stupidity. First off, you would have to be legally blind and not able to look at the box of the tablet to screw that up, secondly if you're legally blind why are you buying a tablet in the first place.

Human stupidity or lack of looking at what you're buying should not be a reason or even a point of argument.

What really gets me with the thread is the how many ignorant people are here. By ignorant I mean "lack of knowledge" seeing as how so many people use it as a dig as someone when it doesn't really apply to the situation.

This is the first time I've seen this site, and it's absolutely amazing how many users here are so hardcore apple yet it's as if they don't even read news articles, or research what they use when they have the internet literally at there fingertips. I can't even begin to understand how people can be so loyal to a company that goes against the evolution of technology.

I can already hear it "WHATTTTT!!! Apple is an innovator!!! They are the evolution"

Let's outline a few things:

First off, Apple is notorious for not sharing, while Microsoft and now Android continue with open source to revolutionize the computer and tech world. Apple runs closed systems and architecture without sharing anything to benefit the private sectors unless its specifically benefits Apple.

They have always been about the profit and not moving forward, UNLESS of course its there product specifically that moves it forward.

GUI - Graphical User Interface was developed by xerox first, so nope, they didn't invent that.......They didnt invent the touchscreen....or the cell phone....Smartphone??? Nope, blackberry takes that one....hmmmmm so what did they invent? Nope, not the mouse.....Apple didnt even build from scratch there OS...Nope, its a UNIX based system originally designed by AT&T in the 60's. Your Dock, with all your pretty icons? Nope they didnt invent that...omg...THEY totally invented multi-gestures......Nope, Fingerworks developed it, and guess who bought out Fingerworks...You guessed it...Apple.

Your app store? Brainchild of ubuntu software.

The first true tablet was built in 1989, and your "Face time" marketing scheme is a joke as Motorola made Face calling a reality since 1993 over 3G. Yes....1993...and 3G. And Apple has the audacity to go after Motorola?

I love the fact, Apple can recklessly claim so many things with marketing, yet never get called out on it. They blatantly go around using other companies patented designs and when they get caught go "oops, we'll pay the minimal licensing fee, my bad!"

So, why, if Apple can do all this, why can't other tech firms produce there own product that are a rectangle with corners and glass? We're not even going after software or the guts or anything else.

Here are your patents:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=bRvVAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=-AbHAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=LWzVAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=D604,305&source=bl&ots=6fLxhjKnid&sig=ktG3hxWhU6HCnSs7_ZZU6tCoyag&hl=en&sa=X&ei=W1sOULmgDaPW2gWAsIH4AQ&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=D604,305&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=6BsWAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

For those of you who don't want to read them, (ooooooooo pictures) The solid lines are the patent, the dotted lines simply show the rest of the phone.

After reviewing these patents. Apple is most DEFINITELY going after samsung over a rectangle. Although "just a rectangle" is a simplified explanation. That is technically what it is about.

They even went as far to patent an "uncluttered front face"

Please someone explain to me how with evolution of touchscreen devices with or without Apple trending touchscreens (something Apple never invented in the first place) how exactly you can have a touchscreen phone that isn't uncluttered. The whole phone is MEANT to be a screen in the first place, it HAS to be uncluttered....ITS A SCREEN!

That's almost as bad as saying you want to patent a monitor because you have no buttons on the front of it and it has sharp edges. RIDICULOUS

When the hybrid craze hit the world, did Toyota with over 2500 hybrid patents lock and load and blow away the competition to secure the market? HELL NO! why? Because its BAD BUSINESS. Period. You can achieve far more by working together or by sharing technology

Through licensing fee's they've helped to evolve technology and have other companies develop there own which in the end has only bettered mpg fuel economy substantially in the past 5 years. Which is good for everyone.

Unfortunately this can only be negative for Apple no matter what the outcome. Apple fanboy's of the world should be shaking in there boots...why? Because they're pissing off all the big boys...Google, Motorola, HTC, Samsung, etc.

Samsung produces all of Apples chipsets, and at first only Samsung could actually provide the retina displays Apple was so strictly seeking. They ended up going with LG to produce them which begs the question if something happened behind closed doors as LG and Sharp couldn't produce them to Apples strict standards in the beginning....

That's right, your Apple product has Samsung guts, an LG screen, and its made by Foxconn in China, the same company that produces Dell computers and Microsofts Xbox 360.

To say Samsung's under Apple is hilarious. Apple is only as strong as there supply and demand if they're #1 (which they are not anymore) Guess who has an iron grip on the supply chain? Samsung. Apple cant simply walk away from Samsung and be like "OH heyyyyyyyy can someone else produce millions of chipsets for us tomorrow mmmmmk"

Instead of trying to go after all these different companies they should be trying to regain there #1 position. It's almost as if the Iphone has already played all its cards as it's technically the exact same since the 3G came out so this is the only shot they have left to attempt to secure the market.

It's disappointing to see this is the road Apple has taken, there fate is sealed. The release of the Iphone 5 may be the push over the edge as it will probably be the same as my 4S...with a bigger screen.

I am dissapoint :(

• Reply 130 of 140

Wow. One line in an entire rant. I should have just condensed it down to the "if people are going into Best Buy..." line and called it a night. Apparently thats the only line anyone read. 

Ok, first of all, yes, this is actually happening. What does it mean? The average consumer is not always that bright. Thats easy enough to state, but it is also easy to state that no matter what, Samsung's way of selling you a certain set of products and the products themselves are easily trying to ape Apple's methods and products. No matter what anyone says, that evidence is clear. The images tell the story. The unhappy Galaxy Tab owners tell the story. The Samsung lawyers who couldn't tell the difference tell the story. Whether you are a rabid Anti-Apple person or a fanboy. Doesn't matter. Look at the evidence and you'll notice that Samsung pretty much followed Apple right down to the USB adaptor and to the way the packaging is designed. Nobody else really went nearly as far as Samsung. 

People can go on saying that Apple stole this and Apple stole that...and Apple didn't do this first and didn't do that first...and that Apple doesn't innovate blah blah blah. The point is, those concepts might be true or have some truth to them, but ultimately, Apple took ideas and technologies and made something with them...something lots of people wanted and bought...and are still buying. Something that actually did change the industry. Companies might have eventually all gone the way of slab style with a capacitive touch-screen and minimal buttons, but it was Apple that truly led that charge. It probably would have been years from now that that form factor would come to see the level of popularity it had in 2007 had Apple not entered the ring. RIM probably wouldn't be going out of business. Nokia would probably still be making Symbian phones and not closing facilities with credit labeled as "junk". Microsoft would probably have never sunk as far as they have today and would probably still be making Windows Mobile rather than Windows Phone 7 & 8. Android might have shown up to give RIM's BB a kick in the pants. Finally, Samsung probably would have continued to build the styles of phones it made before the iPhone. 

Tablets would probably remain a curiosity.

• Reply 131 of 140
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kevin Packingham

Samsung CPO Kevin Packingham. | Source: Wired

"How do you like my new office?  It's got such a GREAT VIEW!"

• Reply 132 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Note to self, Edison was a "sissy" whose products wouldn't have otherwise taken off…  

And he'll go on to say he's fine with trademarks and copyrights.

Or that "everyone should share everything and then it'll be a magical land where innovation and free markets reign! We would have cured cancer if it hadn't been for patents!"

Can we just agree that your position is wrong and leave it at that? 

I'll agree that they are needed and retract my sentiments, but after looking into this case further, I have to say... apple really is going out on a limb here. I dont see how they can compare the UI or the physicality of the phones. For one, the iPhone is much more polished and snappy. Note: I can't stand the iPhone and am an android user. I just dont see why apple is singling out samsung since nearly all the manufactures do similar practices. There is no way anyone on earth can "prove" the Droid Charge is ANYTHING like the iPhone. To say that is simply reducing the quality of the iphone. In fact, to compare these phones is really more damning of the iphone than anything. They are basically insulting themselves!

• Reply 133 of 140
    hc6815hc6815 Posts: 4member

these discussions are pointless. all we're doing is trying to argue, counter-argue, provide evidence/intellectual remarks and piss each-other off lol. jus wait till the verdict next month, and then feel free to say, in your face, told you so, shove it... to whomever lost. -_-

• Reply 134 of 140
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

This whole "someone got a galaxy instead of an ipad thing," is simply human stupidity. First off, you would have to be legally blind and not able to look at the box of the tablet to screw that up, secondly if you're legally blind why are you buying a tablet in the first place.

Human stupidity or lack of looking at what you're buying should not be a reason or even a point of argument.

What really gets me with the thread is the how many ignorant people are here. By ignorant I mean "lack of knowledge" seeing as how so many people use it as a dig as someone when it doesn't really apply to the situation.

This is the first time I've seen this site, and it's absolutely amazing how many users here are so hardcore apple yet it's as if they don't even read news articles, or research what they use when they have the internet literally at there fingertips. I can't even begin to understand how people can be so loyal to a company that goes against the evolution of technology.

I can already hear it "WHATTTTT!!! Apple is an innovator!!! They are the evolution"

First off, Apple is notorious for not sharing, while Microsoft and now Android continue with open source to revolutionize the computer and tech world. Apple runs closed systems and architecture without sharing anything to benefit the private sectors unless its specifically benefits Apple.

They have always been about the profit and not moving forward, UNLESS of course its there product specifically that moves it forward.

GUI - Graphical User Interface was developed by xerox first, so nope, they didn't invent that.......They didnt invent the touchscreen....or the cell phone....Smartphone??? Nope, blackberry takes that one....hmmmmm so what did they invent? Nope, not the mouse.....Apple didnt even build from scratch there OS...Nope, its a UNIX based system originally designed by AT&T in the 60's. Your Dock, with all your pretty icons? Nope they didnt invent that...omg...THEY totally invented multi-gestures......Nope, Fingerworks developed it, and guess who bought out Fingerworks...You guessed it...Apple.

The first true tablet was built in 1989, and your "Face time" marketing scheme is a joke as Motorola made Face calling a reality since 1993 over 3G. Yes....1993...and 3G. And Apple has the audacity to go after Motorola?

I love the fact, Apple can recklessly claim so many things with marketing, yet never get called out on it. They blatantly go around using other companies patented designs and when they get caught go "oops, we'll pay the minimal licensing fee, my bad!"

So, why, if Apple can do all this, why can't other tech firms produce there own product that are a rectangle with corners and glass? We're not even going after software or the guts or anything else.

Here are your patents:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=bRvVAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=-AbHAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=LWzVAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=D604,305&source=bl&ots=6fLxhjKnid&sig=ktG3hxWhU6HCnSs7_ZZU6tCoyag&hl=en&sa=X&ei=W1sOULmgDaPW2gWAsIH4AQ&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=D604,305&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=6BsWAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

For those of you who don't want to read them, (ooooooooo pictures) The solid lines are the patent, the dotted lines simply show the rest of the phone.

After reviewing these patents. Apple is most DEFINITELY going after samsung over a rectangle. Although "just a rectangle" is a simplified explanation. That is technically what it is about.

Please someone explain to me how with evolution of touchscreen devices with or without Apple trending touchscreens (something Apple never invented in the first place) how exactly you can have a touchscreen phone that isn't uncluttered. The whole phone is MEANT to be a screen in the first place, it HAS to be uncluttered....ITS A SCREEN!

That's almost as bad as saying you want to patent a monitor because you have no buttons on the front of it and it has sharp edges. RIDICULOUS

When the hybrid craze hit the world, did Toyota with over 2500 hybrid patents lock and load and blow away the competition to secure the market? HELL NO! why? Because its BAD BUSINESS. Period. You can achieve far more by working together or by sharing technology

Through licensing fee's they've helped to evolve technology and have other companies develop there own which in the end has only bettered mpg fuel economy substantially in the past 5 years. Which is good for everyone.

Unfortunately this can only be negative for Apple no matter what the outcome. Apple fanboy's of the world should be shaking in there boots...why? Because they're pissing off all the big boys...Google, Motorola, HTC, Samsung, etc.

Samsung produces all of Apples chipsets, and at first only Samsung could actually provide the retina displays Apple was so strictly seeking. They ended up going with LG to produce them which begs the question if something happened behind closed doors as LG and Sharp couldn't produce them to Apples strict standards in the beginning....

That's right, your Apple product has Samsung guts, an LG screen, and its made by Foxconn in China, the same company that produces Dell computers and Microsofts Xbox 360.

To say Samsung's under Apple is hilarious. Apple is only as strong as there supply and demand if they're #1 (which they are not anymore) Guess who has an iron grip on the supply chain? Samsung. Apple cant simply walk away from Samsung and be like "OH heyyyyyyyy can someone else produce millions of chipsets for us tomorrow mmmmmk"

Instead of trying to go after all these different companies they should be trying to regain there #1 position. It's almost as if the Iphone has already played all its cards as it's technically the exact same since the 3G came out so this is the only shot they have left to attempt to secure the market.

It's disappointing to see this is the road Apple has taken, there fate is sealed. The release of the Iphone 5 may be the push over the edge as it will probably be the same as my 4S...with a bigger screen.

You must be a Samsung iFone user.

Cheers

• Reply 135 of 140
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Of course not, however Apple do own some remarkably detailed design patents, going well beyond a two dimensional front view, which Samsung are likely to have infringed, enough to have several injunctions placed against their products in other jurisdictions.

The "OMG, Apple has patented the rectangle!!!" is a diversionary battle cry of the lowest of the low Internet trolls.

You are saying Apple case is not about rectangular shape with rounded corners?  The following is one of the Apple patents in this case.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=6BsWAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

What else do you see there?  Please also explain me what are the remarkably detailed design patents with this.

It has been precisely this rectangular with rounded corners all the time since more than a year ago, but suddenly you are now saying that it is not about rectangular with rounded corners.  Noticed bad publicity?

Who is trolling here?

• Reply 136 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

You must be a Samsung iFone user.

Cheers

If you read the 2nd last sentence I'm a 4S user. Have had an Iphone since the 3G.

• Reply 137 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

And this is where the nonsense comes in. It is okay for Apple to steal, as along as they do it before the idea is patented.

Apple is shameless about stealing great ideas.

• Reply 138 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by hc6815 View Post

jus wait till the verdict next month, and then feel free to say, in your face, told you so, shove it... to whomever lost. -_-

There are two likely responses when the verdict comes out:

If Apple wins, then anybody who disagrees with the verdict will be villified.

If Apple loses, then anybody who agrees with the verdict will be villified.

• Reply 139 of 140

I'm impressed with how many factual errors are packed into a single post accusing others of ignorance.  Though the general motif of a mouse-controlled GUI came from Xerox PARC, Apple 1) Specifically negotiated for access 2)spent a long time turning it from a not-very-useful proof-of-concept into an intuitive and easy-to-use *product*.  No one is arguing that Apple invented the touchscreen, of course, nor that they made the first smartphone, nor that they invented Unix.  The Fingerworks item isn't wrong so much as beside the point, since Fingerworks is a part of Apple at this time.  I hardly know what to say about Ubuntu and the App Store, because the Ubuntu Software Center wasn't even started as a project until 2009, after the iOS App Store had been out for almost a year.  Other smartphone software stores would be much better examples of prior art or whatever it was you were going for.  I'm also not sure what to say about Motorola's "Face" calling over "3G".  Various kinds of video calls have been around for longer than we've had packet-based networks, so that can't be the 1993 invention in question.  If the claim is that Motorola invented performing video calls over 3g, then I have to point out that in 1993 2G voice had just barely been finalized, and CDPD was the fastest over the air cellular digital technology available, topping out at less than 20Kbps.  The GPRS standard only arrived in '97, and that could rarely do any better than ~56Kbps.  3G rolled around in 2000 at the very earliest.  And in any case, the main innovations involved in Face Time are the methods used to establish and transfer call events, a key feature of which is network agnosticism.

So basically you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:

Here are your patents: