2/3 of Apple's iOS App Store populated by 'zombie' apps, estimate finds

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

The classification system is horribly coarse grained.  "Games"  Okay... but what about "first-person shooter" that doesn't ask for in-app purchase suitable for children 6-12?

They need to show you things like intended audience, app style (eg. game that makes you collect and buy things).  I think what would be most useful is for users to classify the games directly on the app store. 

• Reply 42 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Echoing some other posters, one would expect that most apps, in either the iOS App Store or the Android Market aren't going to gain a lot of traction. (Interesting that they had nothing to say about the Android Market) And, it's pretty stupid to quote these guys saying it's because the App Store is "closed", when clearly "open" or "closed" have absolutely nothing to do with it.

I'm not so sure about that. It might actually be worse in an 'open' store. With a 'closed' store, the apps have to meet at least some minimal standards, so it's less likely that you'll have total garbage (apps that won't run, for example). So the Android market could be even worse (although since they didn't provide any data, it's impossible to know one way or the other).
  • Reply 43 of 78

Apple must be paying to be their rock star App Store spokesperson.  Well get to work, you have a lot of convincing to do considering almost all of these posts are complaining how CRAPPY it is.  When I know what I want, I search for it otherwise it's almost impossible to have the patience to discover something new while browsing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Because even "crap" apps have a right to be there. There are certain minimum standards that apps should meet, and as long as they do, they can be there. 

It's an app store. You'll get all kinds of apps.

If you want to find good ones, there's the Search function, the ratings, the Top Apps, and so on. It's not that hard.

• Reply 44 of 78
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member

non issue. Cream rises to the top.

• Reply 45 of 78
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

While the article is actually an add for the 'Adeven' firm, however, they're right in saying that the App Store search function is bad. It's so bad I believe it doesn't deserve to be called "search". I don't know if the cause is faulty design, or if there's an interest in Apple (ie: show people the "best" apps rather than allowing them to search for specific categories or specific features).

If you want to look for some app/game, you have no remedy but to use Google. From Google find the app website, and from there the link to the App Store. There couldn't be any better symptom than this showing the App Store "just doesn't work" (TM).

I really hope it's actually faulty design rather than commercial interest. Because if it's the former, we'll see it fixed, while if it's the later it will remain as is.

• Reply 46 of 78
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Maybe Apple could randomly feature them on the main page. 

Or maybe randomly give away apps for free if they have not been downloaded for 30 days - not to everyone - just enough to see set off any potential word of mouth type advertising. 

• Reply 47 of 78
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member

The discovery in App Store sucks.

After I have downloaded over 600 Apps over the years, I am sick to see only those apps which I already have in their top listing. I wish I could filter those which I already have out.

Better sorting features. E.g. when you sort by rating on iPad (on iPhone it is not possible), the store 'forgets' your sorting very soon.

There are other filter and sorting options I wish they had...

• Reply 48 of 78
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'd like to see a blacklist option like Netflix's 'not interested' button. I hate seeing the same apps I don't want over and over. I want to be able to tell the iTunes Store that I never want to see the apps again. Same deal for apps I own. Apps I own should be held in a separate area so I can review them but not appear in the store again - it's not as if I can buy them again.

This way I can sift through apps and discover new ones. Without a blacklist, I just rely on the top charts too because I just don't have time to flip through hundreds of apps one day only to go through the same list the next day.

Apple can use the number of 'not interested' tags to push really poor or low utility apps further down in searches based on iTunes profile.

I don't see why they persist with global top listings. In the top chart, they have Peppa Pig's Sports Day, which is clearly a children's game. If my profile says no kid's games, the top listing shouldn't have it because I'm not going to be buying it. All it's doing is taking up the spot of a game I might buy if I could see it. Similarly I don't need apps about menopause or periods.

Two simple things:

- blacklist (including entire genres)

- personalised top listings

That should sort the problem of discoverability.

u mean like the genius feature that already exists?  You can not just arbitrarily remove items from the top 1..n list as that would mean the top 1..n is meaningless as it is really not a top 1..n list.

• Reply 49 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

The classification system is horribly coarse grained.  "Games"  Okay... but what about "first-person shooter" that doesn't ask for in-app purchase suitable for children 6-12?

They need to show you things like intended audience, app style (eg. game that makes you collect and buy things).  I think what would be most useful is for users to classify the games directly on the app store. 

Yeah, that sounds usable. Do you by chance work for Microsoft or Google?

• Reply 50 of 78
    axual wrote: »
    "Gigaom that he believes its "really tough" for smaller, independent application developers to be discovered in the current App Store structure"

Really?  Thank you Captain Obvious for that penetrating research and analysis. 

There is only so much physical screen space to display apps in the store, and it's hardly effective to cycle through 600,000 apps in some sort of rotation. 

The App store is not only method to promote one's app.

True. Any developer who relies solely on the App Store front page is missing the ball entirely.
  • Reply 51 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

Apple must be paying to be their rock star App Store spokesperson.  Well get to work, you have a lot of convincing to do considering almost all of these posts are complaining how CRAPPY it is.  When I know what I want, I search for it otherwise it's almost impossible to have the patience to discover something new while browsing.

they already have this...it is called Genius. And they do featured apps where they highlight different cool apps.  Not sure what you people want. it is like you want apple to magically know exactly what you want when you do not even know what you want and even when the Genius feature does this you complain that you do not want it.

• Reply 52 of 78
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

they already have this...it is called Genius. And they do featured apps where they highlight different cool apps.  Not sure what you people want. it is like you want apple to magically know exactly what you want when you do not even know what you want and even when the Genius feature does this you complain that you do not want it.

"You people"  Apparently it is "all people" because 2 out of 3 apps have never been downloaded or discovered.  Apparently something is broken.

• Reply 53 of 78
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy View Post

Take AI complaints and pundit observations with a grain of salt. They don't necessarily reflect the sentiments of the bulk of the market. 

If your app is good, it'll get noticed. Same as anywhere else. 

• Reply 54 of 78
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I don't expect Apple to know exactly what I want, but there should be a way to define what I definitely don't want.  I don't play games on my phone, so I don't really want to see games anywhere whilst using the app store.  As someone mentioned earlier, displaying those is just wasted space for me.  Same as apps I already have installed, why do I need to see them if I already have them?  Again, wasted space that could be better used to display other apps I may be interested in.  I have both a 4S and a SGS2 and whilst the App Store is marginally better than Android Market, both of them really need somewhat of an overhaul with regards to how apps are presented.

• Reply 55 of 78
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Echoing some other posters, one would expect that most apps, in either the iOS App Store or the Android Market aren't going to gain a lot of traction. (Interesting that they had nothing to say about the Android Market) And, it's pretty stupid to quote these guys saying it's because the App Store is "closed", when clearly "open" or "closed" have absolutely nothing to do with it.

What there are, in fact, are a lot of popular apps that get most of the downloads because a) they are better and/or b) their publishers were better at promoting them. Other apps, that don't make that cut, aren't going to see a lot of action. There's no difference between the App Store and any other marketplace in that regard.

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    I knew an app developer who used to complain mightily that it was Apple's fault his app was never popular because he never landed on the front page of the App Store, but that was finger-pointing. His app was useful, but not especially noteworthy, pretty, or even original. Just one of several utilities, some of which were better made or had better features.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Agree. Very misleading.

"Orphan" would be a better word than "zombie"

• Reply 57 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

"You people"  Apparently it is "all people" because 2 out of 3 apps have never been downloaded or discovered.  Apparently something is broken.

Surely every app on the App Store should sell millions and millions of copies.  Just like every band which released music should be a triple platinum artist. Or every  web site should get hundreds of millions of hits.  Where do you people come up with this stuff?

• Reply 58 of 78

I agree that categories should be more specific. Sometimes, you just want to browse, but sadly, even through 5 min of browsing any store, you only see the most popular, well advertised ones. You really have to dig deep to find some good gems lying around at the bottom of the pile.

• Reply 59 of 78
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

Quote:

Originally Posted by imbrucewayne View Post

I agree that categories should be more specific. Sometimes, you just want to browse, but sadly, even through 5 min of browsing any store, you only see the most popular, well advertised ones. You really have to dig deep to find some good gems lying around at the bottom of the pile.

And another serious problem is when you want to compare all apps which perform some task. Let's suppose I want to compare all vector design apps for choosing the one that fits my needs best. There's no way of knowing if you saw all the possible apps or if you left any possible candidates.

The only way is to use Google instead. 

• Reply 60 of 78
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

App (short for application, also known as software) is the generally accepted term by the common user today and is why the term "app" should not be trade marked or patented, like the word window.

Had to slip that in there, eh? First, what's with the (definition of app)... combined with the quasi-legal opinion as though you were representing Amazon?