Apple injunction against Galaxy S III would give Samsung 'big problems'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137
    gravagegravage Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Trolling on a website about products you hate made by a company you hate: Because taking the time to have an actual argument or being intelligent enough to not visit these sites is just too hard.

I currently own:

1) iPad 3
    2) iPhone 4s
    3) 2 iPod touches
    4) Macbook Pro
    5) 27" Apple Cinema display.

I consider the iPad to be the best tablet you can buy and the Cinema display is hooked up to my PC for gaming because I don't think there's a better monitor out there.

Wow, don't you have egg on your face? Making assumptions: Because knowing facts is just too hard.

I'm just sick of these patent disputes. They're endless and ridiculous. My phone of choice is the Samsung Galaxy S III right now. Apple hasn't been bringing their "A" game to the software table for some time now. They have been playing catch-up and just adding features that other platforms already have. And the thing is, I don't believe they would even do that if the competition didn't do it first. This is why we need competition. If Apple had their way, we would still be on iOS 3.0. There would literally be no reason for them to add half the features that they have if not for Android doing what it has been doing.

Most major companies, when they see a competing product that has better features threatening to take away from their sales, step up their game and innovate or cut prices. Apple just sues. And the really funny part is, they're still selling plenty of iPhones and iPads. They don't even need to kill Android. They could make a minimal effort to add features that other manufacturers don't and they'd keep on winning. Instead, they're spending millions on lawsuits that are doing nothing other than delay the inevitable and hurting consumers by removing choice.

This is my issue. I don't hate Apple. I deplore their approach to competition.
  • Reply 102 of 137
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    gravage wrote: »
    I currently own:1) iPad 32) iPhone 4s3) 2 iPod touches4) Macbook Pro5) 27" Apple Cinema display.

Yes, and now you're just reading down the list of the 'how to troll' handbook.
    Wow, don't you have egg on your face?

Can't imagine why.
    I'm just sick of these patent disputes. They're endless and ridiculous.

Then you ought to either ignore them or read more about them, because they're neither. Well, endless, sure.
    They have been playing catch-up and just adding features that other platforms already have. And the thing is, I don't believe they would even do that if the competition didn't do it first.

Of course they are.
    If Apple had their way, we would still be on iOS 3.0.

Of course they would.
    There would literally be no reason for them to add half the features that they have if not for Android doing what it has been doing.

So there was no reason for them to have created the iPhone in the first place, then. Oops! Just ruined your logic.
    Most major companies, when they see a competing product that has better features threatening to take away from their sales, step up their game and innovate or cut prices. Apple just sues.

*snort* ????
    …hurting consumers by removing choice.This is my issue. I don't hate Apple. I deplore their approach to competition.

And I deplore your inability to deal in fact instead of fabrication. We done here?
  • Reply 103 of 137
    [quote name="Tallest Skil" url="/t/151035/apple-injunction-against-galaxy-s-iii-would-give-samsung-big-problems/80#post_2140156"][/QUOTE]

You're trying really hard to be clever, but failing miserably.

And FYI: Apple didn't have a product in this category until they created the iPhone, so I suppose that would be their reason.

Claiming that the stiff competition from Google isn't forcing Apple to improve their product is a perfect demonstration of ignorance.
  • Reply 104 of 137
    You're trying really hard to be clever, but failing miserably.

And you're trying really hard to quote, but failing miserably as well. What were you trying to quote there?
    And FYI: Apple didn't have a product in this category until they created the iPhone, so I suppose that would be their reason.

No, you're implying that Apple made the iPhone in response to what others in the market were doing. Since no other company in the market was doing anything like the iPhone, your implication is false.
    Claiming that the stiff competition from Google isn't forcing Apple to improve their product is a perfect demonstration of ignorance.

Of course it is.
  • Reply 105 of 137

Quote:

Of course it is.

Actually, I was just making it clear that I was responding to you directly, without quoting all of the useless drivel you post. I think it's cute the way you quote each and every line in my post and post a rebuttal, though. It's clear that you're passionate about this issue. Or maybe you just think that you're never wrong and that everything you post is solid gold. Internet tough guys are hilarious.

In a previous post, you claimed that I invalidated my entire argument by saying that Apple would never have had cause to build an iPhone in the first place because there was no Android OS to compete with. Now you're trying to bend my own words back on me, completely disregarding your own ridiculous replies, and claiming that I'm contradicting myself and that I'm claiming that Apple made the iPhone in response to what others were doing.

I'll try to lay this out as clearly as I can so that there's no mistake about what I'm saying.

• Before the iPhone, there were other touchscreen phones. They were resistive, not incredibly user-friendly, and fairly limited, but they existed.

• Apple created the iPhone, utilizing capacitive technology (no more stylus...yay!) and later, created an app store. In these ways, they kind of reinvented smartphones as we know them. 

• As with everything, the competition rose to the challenge and started releasing competing devices/platforms. This is the nature of a free market. Some didn't even bother to hide the fact that they were basically cloning the iPhone.

• Steve Jobs seemed to take this personally and vowed to destroy Android. Apple seems to be following through with this the best they can, using the various vague patents that they have to attack every feature and even the design of phones from various manufacturers.

Over the years, Apple has been adding features and improvements to the iPhone and iOS. It's naive to think they would have done it at the pace they have without the market being as competitive as it is. We probably literally would be on a much more immature version of iOS and using a phone with an inferior camera or screen if other manufacturers hadn't raised the bar to try and beat iPhone. This is the essence of what I'm saying. Many of Apple's most recent updates to iOS are pretty obvious rip-offs (or dedications, if you will) to other Operating systems: Lockscreen to Camera - Windows Phone 7, Notification Bar - Android (clear back in 2008), Twitter integration and finally Facebook integration, etc., etc.

Without the pressure of the break-neck pace that Android has been evolving and rising in popularity, iOS would not be what it is today. It may have gotten there eventually, but not this quickly. Competition is good for this reason and suing your competitors for every little thing to stifle this competition is bad. Protecting your intellectual property is one thing. What Apple is doing is another thing entirely.

• Reply 106 of 137
    [quote name="gravage" url="/t/151035/apple-injunction-against-galaxy-s-iii-would-give-samsung-big-problems/80#post_2141240"]Without the pressure of the break-neck pace that Android has been evolving and rising in popularity, iOS would not be what it is today. It may have gotten there eventually, but not this quickly.[/QUOTE]

And as you have no proof of this and can never do so, your words will fall upon deaf ears. Notice, however, that there was never any actual competition for the iPod, and yet Apple continued to improve it and its other three models over the seven years before the introduction of the iPhone when it reigned supreme. And even since, with the iPod touch. I can only think of one other touchscreen PMP since its introduction, and I'm not sure it's even sold anymore.
  • Reply 107 of 137

Quote:

And as you have no proof of this and can never do so, your words will fall upon deaf ears. 

I don't know why, but this reminds me of a child putting his hands over his ears and saying "nah nah nah" while you try to explain something to him.

You're right. I don't have any hardcore proof, because I can't view multiple futures. However, I am willing to bet that I'm closer to the industry than you are, given my profession. Either way, believe what you want. Ignorance is bliss for some.

• Reply 108 of 137
    [quote name="gravage" url="/t/151035/apple-injunction-against-galaxy-s-iii-would-give-samsung-big-problems/80#post_2142420"]You're right. I don't have any hardcore proof, because I can't view multiple futures.[/QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with the future. You cannot claim that Apple would not have done what they did with iOS because you do not live on nor have you visited a probability branch in which they did not have Android with which to contend. You cannot say this also because you do not know what their plans and projections were in 2007.

[QUOTE]However, I am willing to bet that I'm closer to the industry than you are, given my profession.[/QUOTE]

The only closeness anyone cares about is close enough to provide concrete proof. Since you cannot, your position is nothing more than an opinion.
  • Reply 109 of 137
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

This has been making the rounds in social networks:

Sam.Apple_.001-620x465.jpg

Already debunked. 

And iOS is based on OSX. It's got a dock, and icons. The OSX layout was patented in 1999.

• Reply 110 of 137

Quote:

The only closeness anyone cares about is close enough to provide concrete proof. Since you cannot, your position is nothing more than an opinion.

As is your position. Well, opinion and hard-core fanboy, apparently.

• Reply 111 of 137
    As is your position. Well, opinion and hard-core fanboy, apparently.

Except my position is supported by what Apple has done historically, whereas yours is blatant lies created to fit the "innovate, don't litigate" bill that is being passed around from troll to troll.

Also, we don't use the word fanboy here. You're new, you get a single pass.
  • Reply 112 of 137
    krakajapkrakajap Posts: 29member

Quote:

Except my position is supported by what Apple has done historically, whereas yours is blatant lies created to fit the "innovate, don't litigate" bill that is being passed around from troll to troll.

I don't think anyone is saying Apple is this horrible company that everyone should stay away from or that they are "not" being innovative.  However, Apple themselves have claimed on multiple occasions that they do not necessarily invent but rather improve upon technology that already exists which in itself is a very thin line to travel in regards to patents.  They buy up the smaller companies for technology they haven't created themselves.  The patent laws need changed and many people/legislators agree with this (not excluding the courts themselves).  To simply think that Apple doesn't steal from other companies is asinine as it is for damn near every other company out there.  

• Reply 113 of 137
    [quote name="KrakaJap" url="/t/151035/apple-injunction-against-galaxy-s-iii-would-give-samsung-big-problems/80#post_2142713"]I don't think anyone is saying Apple is this horrible company that everyone should stay away from or that they are "not" being innovative.[/QUOTE]

Really? You're sure? :lol:
  • Reply 114 of 137

Quote:

Really? A free pass? Must be my lucky day!

Now I'm telling lies? Seriously? Someone needs to check their ego at the door. The only one trolling here is you. You reply to every single post with the most condescending reply possible, making sure to quote each line you wish to make a point about. No one on this board is as worked up about this subject as you are and you're clearly incapable of being impartial.

• Reply 115 of 137
    You reply to every single post with the most condescending reply possible, making sure to quote each line you wish to make a point about.

I'd much rather make sense than blob it all together. When you're wrong, you're wrong, but not everything is wrong in the same way. If you're bothered by the fact that I have to address every sentence individually, maybe don't get every sentence wrong, then.
    No one on this board is as worked up about this subject as you are…

Obviously not.
    …and you're clearly incapable of being impartial.

And of course that's right.

And yes, those were on purpose.
  • Reply 116 of 137

Quote:

Yes, we know. We're all wrong and you're right. I'm just sorry I can't pat you on the head while I tell you that.

Enjoy living in ignorance. I'm through arguing with an insolent child. It's pretty much impossible to have an intelligent discussion with someone so narrow-minded and frankly, it's not worth my time. This type of response wasn't exactly unexpected in an Apple-biased board, but you're taking it to the next level. This exact discussion would be going a much different way in an Android forum. In the absence of neutral ground, there's really no point.

And yes, you are most certainly a fanboy. 

• Reply 117 of 137

Quote:

Yes, yes. We know. You're right and everyone else is wrong. Got it.

• Reply 118 of 137

Forget the Apple injunction on quick search box for Samsung Nexus and Galaxy S III.  This new app on GooglePlay does most of what was removed because of the injunction http://bit.ly/NG8y7b

• Reply 119 of 137
    krakajapkrakajap Posts: 29member

http://goo.gl/WJEBO

Go on, let's hear it... all a fabrication right? :)  I think people seem to forget that the analogy of putting 2 scientists in separate closets and having them come up with the simplest solution to a single problem fits quite well (and often) in the world of technology.  

• Reply 120 of 137

Originally Posted by KrakaJap View Post

Go on, let's hear it... all a fabrication right? :)  I think people seem to forget that the analogy of putting 2 scientists in separate closets and having them come up with the simplest solution to a single problem fits quite well (and often) in the world of technology.  

You couldn't have posted this partially-debunked image in a more modern thread where it's actively being discussed?