Apple portrays itself as smartphone underdog in Samsung suit opening remarks

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112

I know this isn't anything serious like a murder trial, but leaking evidence for release to the press? I popped two bags of corn to watch through this one.

• Reply 102 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So according to The Verge, Phil Schiller is taking the witness stand tomorrow. Scott Forstall and Greg Joswiak (who I think works for Schiller) are also expected to take the stand. But no Jony Ive or Tim Cook. The Verge speculates putting Ive on the stand would make Apple more appealing to the jurors. :lol:
  • Reply 103 of 112
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    rogifan wrote: »
    If anyone is going nuclear it's Samsung. Haven't most, if not all of the leaks come from Samsung?

This really bothers me... When anyone thinks they are above the law and rules that govern the rest of us...

That's behind my biggest issues, over time, with MS, Google and now Sammy.

I have been observing Apple since 1978... Apple sometimes acts goofy, stupid, arrogant and as a bully... But they do play by the rules... Close to the line, sometimes, but not over the line.
  • Reply 104 of 112
    I know this isn't anything serious like a murder trial, but leaking evidence for release to the press? I popped two bags of corn to watch through this one.

Yes! The closest thing we have to royalty in this country is a judge sitting on her throne in the courtroom... This will cost Sammy!
  • Reply 105 of 112
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    <h1 class="title" style="margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:7px;padding-top:5px;padding-bottom:10px;border-width:0px 0px 1px;border-bottom-style:solid;border-bottom-color:rgb(202,206,209);font:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;font-weight:bold;color:rgb(2,2,2);font-family:'grad-1', 'grad-2', Times, serif;line-height:1.2;">Shit, meet Fan</h1>

<h1 class="title" style="margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:7px;padding-top:5px;padding-bottom:10px;border-width:0px 0px 1px;border-bottom-style:solid;border-bottom-color:rgb(202,206,209);font:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;font-weight:bold;color:rgb(2,2,2);font-family:'grad-1', 'grad-2', Times, serif;line-height:1.2;">Samsung Goes Public With Excluded Evidence to Undercut Apple’s Design Claims</h1>

http://allthingsd.com/20120731/samsung-goes-public-with-excluded-evidence-to-undercut-apples-design-claims/

I don't know if it's possible -- but it would be interesting if the Judge declared a mistrial and banned the sale on any Samsung devices under challenge until after s new trial.  

It appears that Sammy and some other large Korean companies regulatly run roughshod over Korean regulations and laws... apparently they assume the same tactics will work here...

Yep. This isn't the first time in their Apple cases. They destroyed evidence even after a severe warning from another judge against destroying evidence. And now they're releasing evidence to the public even after being told that the evidence is excluded.

They must think they're above the law. Who do they think they are? Google?
  • Reply 106 of 112
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yep. This isn't the first time in their Apple cases. They destroyed evidence even after a severe warning from another judge against destroying evidence. And now they're releasing evidence to the public even after being told that the evidence is excluded.

I never got a chance to read that warning from "another judge". Since you're already familiar with it, would you mind a link?

• Reply 107 of 112
    jragosta wrote: »

Sammy better be careful... Lest O'Reilly calls for a boycot.
  • Reply 108 of 112
    The more I think about this... Apple needs to start distancing itself from Sammy as a supplier... I know there are contracts... But Apple could enlist Intel to start making its CPUs...

At least it would send a warning shot across Sammy's bow
  • Reply 109 of 112

I'm so sick of this being taken seriously. Somebody invents,or thinks they invented the wheel, do we sue VMW or BENZ technically? The good manufactures don't need to sweat unless they forecast themselves sucking any time soon. 

Both parties will be better recognizing this the sooner the better

• Reply 110 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What I never understood is how Android got away with pinch to zoom. I thought Apple had a patent on that plus all the other multitouch gestures. Without those you really don't have much of a smartphone.

Apple didn't invent pitch to zoom. Digital Disk did. Then palm had their version, then somebody else. ETC.

• Reply 111 of 112
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gwmac wrote: »
    I really thought the Oracle suit against Google was the one to watch and would have had a tremendous impact on Android. But in the end, Google won. Most of Apple's lawsuits to date have also been largely unsuccessful.

I disagree. Apple has won quite a bit - scroll bounce removed from phones, some of the most blatant copies banned, and so on. Most importantly, the newest phone designs are not such obvious copies of Apple's products. Heck, Samsung has even changed the packaging so it doesn't look so much like Apple's. If you look at Apple's real goals (to end copying), they've gone a long way.
    mac.world wrote: »
    We have never dropped Nuclear bombs on another country. What we dropped in Japan were fission bombs, not nuclear, fusion bombs.
    mac.world wrote: »
    Nuclear and thermonuclear is the same thing. Fusion detonation. Atomic aka fission bombs are not nuclear and are no longer used because they aren't as efficient

Wrong. "Nuclear weapons" include both fission and fusion:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapon
    "A nuclear weapon is an explosive device that derives its destructive force from nuclear reactions, either fission or a combination of fission and fusion."
    Hiroshima and Nagasaki are specifically cited in this article.

What in the world makes you think that only fusion weapons are nuclear? A nuclear weapon is one that derives its power from nuclear reactions. So what do you think powered the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombs? Millions of hamsters on millions of wheels?

gatorguy wrote: »
    I never got a chance to read that warning from "another judge". Since you're already familiar with it, would you mind a link?

Look it up yourself. It was cited in the 'evidence destroying' thread here.
  • Reply 112 of 112
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 140member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple's case against Samsung centers on the belief that the smartphone and tablet markets have changed dramatically thanks to Apple.

Absolutely, 100% correct. Apple started all of this. 

Actually it has already been shown that a lot of companies were going in that direction before the iPhone arrived.  Say what you will but design is not the biggest impact the iPhone had. Exclusivity was one (Verizon should have wised up, they could have added millions upon millions of additional subscribers), iPhone also changed how software updates were done, approved and delivered.  App store, not so much since Jobs didn't want an App Store until users complained about it.  Yes it had a big impact just not everywhere you say it did.