iOS chief Scott Forstall to testify at Apple v. Samsung trial

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to a court document filed on Tuesday, Apple Senior Vice President of iOS Software Scott Forstall will testify on behalf of the Cupertino company perhaps as soon as Friday, depending on the length of worldwide marketing exec Phil Schiller's testimony.

Update: Forstall describes iOS development, challenges in Samsung trial

Apple's updated rolling witness list notes the iOS guru will take the stand immediately after Schiller whose testimony was cut short on Tuesday as the court session wrapped up. Samsung was previously informed that Forstall would be testifying sometime this week but the South Korean company didn't know the exact schedule.

The news comes two days after Apple filed its last witness list on July 29 which ended with: "In addition, Apple has notified Samsung that Scott Forstall will testify on Friday, and may testify before one or more of the above witnesses depending on schedule."

Schiller testified today, albeit for a short time before court adjourned, and said Apple doesn't rely on market research to rollout products. His testimony will kick off proceedings when the court meets again on Friday.

The Apple v. Samsung suit also brought a number of iPhone prototypes to light as Apple's first witness, industrial designer Chris Stringer, presented nearly 40 designs in pictures and physical models.

Forstall Testimony
Source: Apple v. Samsung court filings

Also reshuffled on the most recent list are graphic designer Susan Kare, who worked on Macintosh interface elements and served as Creative Director at NeXT, and Ravin Balakrishnan, a professor of computer science at the University of Toronto who previously served in the case as an expert witness in support of Apple's motion for a preliminary injunction in 2011.

Judging by the testimonies given thus far, Forstall may speak as soon as Friday depending on when Apple attorneys finish with Schiller.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    [CODE][/CODE]This should be cool. I really do think he's the next Steve. He's the ONLY one who seems to get excited about the products. Mildly, but at least he does.

EDIT: thank god he doesn't run around the stage like Mr. Ballmer. I've showed that clip to sooooo many friends in college it's not even funny! None of them can believe he's the guy running (ruining) M$. Still funny, but you know what I mean.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So Schiller and Forstall are testifying but not Ive? What is Forstall testifying on?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    vadania wrote: »
    This should be cool. I really do think he's the next Steve. He's the ONLY one who seems to get excited about the products. Mildly, but at least he does.
    I dunno, he freaks me out with his crazy eyes. :lol:

crazyeyes.png
  • Reply 4 of 26
    rogifan wrote: »
    crazyeyes.png

Bad pic. It happens even if you're a 12.

Yea, he's gone and done a good job of keeping himself off of the Internet. You can not find a sexy pic of him anywhere.

/southern tic intended.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I dunno, he freaks me out with his crazy eyes. image

crazyeyes.png

Son of Serlet.

Forstall and Serlet were very early models of the T1000's.

Cyborg technology has improved vastly since then. 

Give them a break.

• Reply 6 of 26
    So Schiller and Forstall are testifying but not Ive? What is Forstall testifying on?

Probably the fact that he MADE iOS, along with his employees. At the expense of another employee due to competition. You get that genuine feel when you watch him announce it also.

Samsung... Well I think we can all say they didn't make iOS, but it looks like it! Some might say a lot like it.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Bad pic. It happens even if you're a 12.

Even Barney Stinson can have a bad pic...

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 8 of 26
    gtr wrote: »
    Son of Serlet.

Forstall and Serlet were very early models of the T1000's.

Cyborg technology has improved vastly since then. 

Give them a break.

Very bad! Honestly when I Googled him there was more than one Leinardo Decaprio "probably spelled wrong" results on the first, second and third page. Maybe he's not at that level, but that just shows you what Google thinks of him.
  • Reply 9 of 26

Kids, obviously he had an eye problem. That doesn't matter, he's talented and got a great job.

As for him becoming the next Steve. I hope not. Though for sure he got better taste on things than Tim so I want him to be just an advisor to the CEO or maybe another layer above CEO for approving things. Why? I don't want him to do non-programming work like managing their suppliers, talking with carriers, etc. Tim is good on that and let Scott's time solely focus on software.

• Reply 10 of 26
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Even Barney Stinson can have a bad pic...
    [VIDEO]

I don't know who he is, and yes that is a bad pic.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    makingdots wrote: »
    Kids, obviously he had an eye problem. That doesn't matter, he's talented and got a great job.

As for him becoming the next Steve. I hope not. Though for sure he got better taste on things than Tim so I want him to be just an advisor to the CEO or maybe another layer above CEO for approving things. Why? I don't want him to do non-programming work like managing their suppliers, talking with carriers, etc. Tim is good on that and let Scott's time solely focus on software.

I agree, Tim is not the best candidate. So what are you saying? Exactly what I've been thinking for a while. Your post is that the current CEO is handling supply chain management. Should he be? Probably not. Is he? He's probably the best at it. Is that indicative of a leading role, visionary? Not in my very humble opinion. I'm also not leading the worlds biggest company, so take that with a grain of salt.. To us younger folks it will be a study case further on down the road.

However this is like clambering for politics. There are many people behind each person anyone can name at Apple. My only point was that Scott seems to have that Apple "fire" built into him.

Tim's numbers. Phil will say what he has to. shhh he's a highly paid sales person. Johnny makes great stuff (or his employees do), and Scott gets excited about what he's pushing.

There's probably another dozen or so people who are very key to what's going on there and we still haven't heard their name.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    crazyeyes.png

That pic doesn't matter. It literally lasted a fraction if a second. What matters is how he comes across on the witness stand.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Something tells me Samsung doesn't have 40 designs slowly progressing closer to the final iPhone.

• Reply 14 of 26
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Forstall will probably tell Sammy to go "f" themseleves and just walk out.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    I agree, Tim is not the best candidate. So what are you saying? Exactly what I've been thinking for a while. Your post is that the current CEO is handling supply chain management. Should he be? Probably not. Is he? He's probably the best at it. Is that indicative of a leading role, visionary? Not in my very humble opinion. I'm also not leading the worlds biggest company, so take that with a grain of salt.. To us younger folks it will be a study case further on down the road.
    However this is like clambering for politics. There are many people behind each person anyone can name at Apple. My only point was that Scott seems to have that Apple "fire" built into him.
    Tim's numbers. Phil will say what he has to. shhh he's a highly paid sales person. Johnny makes great stuff (or his employees do), and Scott gets excited about what he's pushing.
    There's probably another dozen or so people who are very key to what's going on there and we still haven't heard their name.

well, it is a chicken or egg problem... Tim Cook knows how to "make the eggs", but Scott Forstall designs the insides of the egg. thus, is it more important to have eggs to sell, or have the egg that people want. at Apple, they have both. Tim Cook is the Chicken, and Scott Forstall. is the egg. but out in the world of "money", the chicken is more important and therefore is CEO.
    (apologies to the Design Team... they design the look of the chicken, the most important part...which is why the Late Steve Jobs, bestowed amount of power that Jon Ivie has)

the problem is Scott forstall is a "support guy" OS development... and Tim Cook is an "action guy". and in the world of executives, "action persons" become the 3-letter executives... (CEO,CFO,COO etc)... not to mention Tim Cooks part in the 117 Billion in cash on hand. IMO Apple does not operate on the "peter principle".

perhaps Scott Forstall would be a good CEO, but it won't happen at apple... he knows the iOS cold, thus that is his lot in life... be good at what you do, and enjoy life...
  • Reply 16 of 26
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Here's an interesting review of what has gone on so far.
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/apple-to-jury-iphone-changed-everythingthen-samsung-built-knockoffs

It's not looking good for Samsung.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    haar wrote: »
    well, it is a chicken or egg problem... Tim Cook knows how to "make the eggs", but Scott Forstall designs the insides of the egg. thus, is it more important to have eggs to sell, or have the egg that people want. at Apple, they have both. Tim Cook is the Chicken, and Scott Forstall. is the egg. but out in the world of "money", the chicken is more important and therefore is CEO.
    (apologies to the Design Team... they design the look of the chicken, the most important part...which is why the Late Steve Jobs, bestowed amount of power that Jon Ivie has)
    the problem is Scott forstall is a "support guy" OS development... and Tim Cook is an "action guy". and in the world of executives, "action persons" become the 3-letter executives... (CEO,CFO,COO etc)... not to mention Tim Cooks part in the 117 Billion in cash on hand. IMO Apple does not operate on the "peter principle".
    perhaps Scott Forstall would be a good CEO, but it won't happen at apple... he knows the iOS cold, thus that is his lot in life... be good at what you do, and enjoy life...

That's not how a CEO is chosen.

The CEO is generally chosen for their leadership abilities rather than any specific skill set. Cook was presumably chosen because he's best able to build and lead a team rather than his operational skills.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    woodlink wrote: »
    Forstall will probably tell Sammy to go "f" themseleves and just walk out.

That would actually be pretty funny. I'm waiting for a detailed article on what he said.

Ive would probably just say "your phones suck, hard" and leave.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That pic doesn't matter. It literally lasted a fraction if a second. What matters is how he comes across on the witness stand.

This is what worries more about Forestall though.  Yeah, he's an over-intense googly-eyed kind of guy, but he's also a bit of an asshole and has a medium sized chip on his shoulder over not being picked to be CEO from what I've heard.

This trial is probably one of the most important moments in Apple history so you will probably see all of them close ranks and pull together but, if there is one person in the entire group that *might* stab everyone in the back, it's Forestall IMO.  

• Reply 20 of 26
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This is what worries more about Forestall though.  Yeah, he's an over-intense googly-eyed kind of guy, but he's also a bit of an asshole and has a medium sized chip on his shoulder over not being picked to be CEO from what I've heard.

This trial is probably one of the most important moments in Apple history so you will probably see all of them close ranks and pull together but, if there is one person in the entire group that *might* stab everyone in the back, it's Forestall IMO.  

Not going to happen.

First, he'd never get another tech job.

Second, all of his coworkers and friends would hate him.

Finally, his millions of dollars in Apple stock would drop significantly in value.