Hulu Plus launches on Apple TV

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you're missing the point of the objections a bit.  People who have already (in some cases long ago), switched their cable off and moved to Internet delivery through iTunes, Netflix etc., are pissed that Hulu wants you to pay $8 a month and *also* give you commercials.  Netflix is $8 a month for instance and has no commercials of any kind.  iTunes rental subscriptions have no commercials either.  Most Internet TV and broadcast services use a paid model with no commercials.  

Hulu gives you less content than some *and* makes you pay, *and* gives you commercials.  This is because it's essentially just cable TV streamed onto the Internet rather than being a true "third service."  

Cable TV exists solely for the advertisers who run the entire show.  Hulu is the same as that. Instead of being a service intended for consumers, it's a way for advertisers to expand onto the Internet.  That's the whole point of Hulu and the reason for it's initial creation and continued existence; to retain that advertising revenue.  

Then those people are idiots. The Netflix model is unsustainable, and you're simply not going to get all the content something like Hulu offers with either 2 or 3 commercials per 30 mins, or for $8. There is a reason why iTunes charges $3 to $4 per show (some of those shows are barely 20 mins of content) and it isn't Apple tax, and there is a reason why TBS, AMC and others slap alost 20 mins of ads every hour, usually at a point in the show designed specifically to ruin it for you.

The same people bitching about this, also bitch about having to pay for quality journalism through newspapers and magazines and probably bitch about their taxes too and smoke in public places. Self-entitled morons.

• Reply 62 of 75
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

If you want to stream video in the UK, the X360 is infinitely superior, and only very slightly more expensive.

...and only very slightly bigger and only very slightly less reliable and only very slightly ancient and probably going to be replaced only very slightly earlier.

• Reply 63 of 75
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member

Awesome!

Now where's HBO GO?  (And when will Showtime get off their bums? I wanna watch Dexter!)

Fantastic to see Apple opening up the AppleTV to services that somewhat compete with iTunes TV Shows store.  (iTunes TV Shows are purchase only. While Hulu is rental/leased only)

• Reply 64 of 75
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

...and only very slightly bigger and only very slightly less reliable and only very slightly ancient and probably going to be replaced only very slightly earlier.

The Xbox is still relatively small when compared to the average TiVo etc. It's also very reliable now, the red ring issues are long gone, and it's even quiet now too.

As for it's age and the coming of the Xbox 3, they are both largely irrelevant if your only interest is streaming video. The only issue that could arise would be if MS stopped releasing new streaming apps for the 360 once the Xbox 3 arrives.

• Reply 65 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Who says it's Apple not allowing it.

That is the least likely out of any scenario I can think of. The BBC's mandate is to reach as many UK TV license payers as possible. The iPlayer is on practically everything, they are not the issue.

• Reply 66 of 75

Couldn't bring myself to part with money for an XBOX but I am being forced to look around to bring on demand services to my ailing CRT. Hoping that I won't have to with an ATV. But part of me knows that unless there is an app store it will have to be US centric to take off.

• Reply 67 of 75
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

Well I have to say the interface is much better than Roku. Now if Apple TV could get either Pandora or Spotify then I could lose my Roku.

• Reply 68 of 75

Ok, but what about REGULAR HULU?!  Like I can watch for FREE from my MAC?!  :(

Now, where is Crackle?!  Yes Pandora too please!

• Reply 69 of 75
    dbdukesdbdukes Posts: 12member

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Ok, but what about REGULAR HULU?!  Like I can watch for FREE from my MAC?!  :(

Now, where is Crackle?!  Yes Pandora too please!

Standard Hulu content (the free stuff) is not authorized for streaming to ANY set-top box or mobile device. Not on Xbox, PS3, Wii, Roku, Blu-ray player, smart TV, iPad, iPod, iPhone, Android, or any other device. And, that's an issue with the right-holder of that particular content, not Hulu or any particular device manufacturer.

• Reply 70 of 75

Same here in Belgium. Only about 60% of the US services are available (no TV-shows --local or otherwise-- at all; Hulu, even Hulu proper doesn't seem to be available outside the US, even though we live in a global world with US ex-pats and enthusiasts all over the place).

The advantage of having TV-channels is of course one is no longer dependent on the transmission times. One just chooses whatever is available on some service ("channel").

My suggestion for a software improvement is to add a global search on e.g., "genre".

Indeed, having too many service ("channel") icons to investigate puts the aTV in the same league as the "smart TV" functionality already built-in into newer TV-sets.

aTV needs to excel in the way we find our programs.

(Similarly, the various iStores need to excel in the way we find apps and other content).

aTV needs to be able to control the TV over HDMI (such that I can take over the TV with my aTV remote). It is in the HDMI standard (my cable settop box does: it forces the TV to switch on and to use the proper HDMI input when I switch on the cable tuner). Apple could go further and offer menu driven control of all the TV inputs. Just hoping that this can be done with the aTV2. But I am willing to buy any aTV3 that is no longer a hobby. I'll keep the aTV2 for the bedroom.

• Reply 71 of 75
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

My suggestion for a software improvement is to add a global search on e.g., "genre".

Indeed, having too many service ("channel") icons to investigate puts the aTV in the same league as the "smart TV" functionality already built-in into newer TV-sets.

aTV needs to excel in the way we find our programs.

What you are suggesting was implemented in the Xbox dashboard almost a year ago. You get a single search field (voice or text input) which will search all providers available in your territory, then return unified results showing where to watch the content. Some results of course are available through multiple providers. You then choose the provider you want, and the Xbox loads up the appropriate app and streams the content. It works remarkably well.

The Xbox really is the best streamer around at present. It's not perfect (but then again, what is), but it's the best so far.

• Reply 72 of 75
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you're missing the point of the objections a bit.  People who have already (in some cases long ago), switched their cable off and moved to Internet delivery through iTunes, Netflix etc., are pissed that Hulu wants you to pay $8 a month and *also* give you commercials.  Netflix is $8 a month for instance and has no commercials of any kind.  iTunes rental subscriptions have no commercials either.  Most Internet TV and broadcast services use a paid model with no commercials.  

Hulu gives you less content than some *and* makes you pay, *and* gives you commercials.  This is because it's essentially just cable TV streamed onto the Internet rather than being a true "third service."  

Cable TV exists solely for the advertisers who run the entire show.  Hulu is the same as that. Instead of being a service intended for consumers, it's a way for advertisers to expand onto the Internet.  That's the whole point of Hulu and the reason for it's initial creation and continued existence; to retain that advertising revenue.  

Hulu has current content, as opposed to Netflix, which only mirrors what's been released on DVD.  And popular content on Netflix is delayed for months.  Broadcasters are hesitant to give current content away for free.  $8 a month is a pittance, and the commercials are by far less intrusive than broadcast.  

• Reply 73 of 75
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I think this has to co-incide with Mountain Lion. Now you can just airplay the web version of Hulu directly to your TV so Hulu knows the only way to combat people just doing that is to offer it up directly on Apple TV.  I'll still probably go the freebie web version unless it doesn't convert very well but Hulu really only had one choice with the advent of Airplay from the Mac.

That is a good point. 

• Reply 74 of 75
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

This is all warm-up for the full-blown TV from Apple. I am holding off on a TV purchase until then!

imo we need to see an app store on the Apple TV before we move to an Apple TV set or cable box.  They could announce it together but that would be a lot of changes in one shot.

• Reply 75 of 75
    My issue isn't with their premium fee it's that they charge on some devices for what they offer free on others. I think if they are going to offer something free on my Mac then they are stupid to charge for accessing the same thing on my iPad or apple tv.

Companies who do stuff like that don't get my business.

As much as Netflix sucks it offers tv out on iPhone/iPad. So I pay for that.

I also pay for full premium services on cable too so I'm paying extra for these streams. I only keep Netflix because it's About the only streaming app I can watch on a bigger screen, through video glasses or through a pico projector. When I travel it's the only way I can see stuff bigger than my iPad screen at friends' homes, some of whom don't have a tv in the guest bedroom.