Apple's next iPhone rumored with 8-pin dock connector, enhanced Bluetooth

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new rumor claims the expected smaller dock connector in Apple's next iPhone will be an 8-pin design, while iOS 6 will have a new Bluetooth 4.0 linking feature that will greatly share functionality between Apple's devices.

The details come from a report published Wednesday by iLounge, which cited two sources for the 8-pin dock connector. That contradicts earlier reports that the new dock on Apple's next iPhone will be a 19-pin design.

With the launch of the next iPhone, Apple is expected to retire the 30-pin dock connector that has been found on its iPod lineup and iOS devices for years. Because of the large number of accessories on the market compatible with the current 30-pin design, Apple is expected to provide an adapter to help ease the transition to the smaller design.

Wednesday's report said the new dock connector will potentially allow devices to be connected to docks and cables in two orientations, similar to the MagSafe charger design found on Apple's MacBook lineup.

Author Jeremy Horwitz was also reportedly told by one source that Apple is working on an unannounced iOS 6 feature that will greatly enhance Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity between devices.

prototype 3

"The feature would enable, say, a future iPod nano to display iMessages received by an iPhone, record voice memos that could be shared via the iPhone, and even initiate phone calls through its own headphones," he wrote. "It could also conceivably let you make iPhone calls from your iPad (or possibly even recent Macs), assuming the iPhone was paired with the computer over Bluetooth."

Apple began adding Bluetooth 4.0 support to its devices in mid-2011 with the MacBook Air and Mac mini, while the launch of the iPhone 4S late last year marked the debut of Bluetooth 4.0 on handset from the company, along with "Bluetooth Smart Ready" support.

Apple joined the Bluetooth Special Interest Group board of directors last year, and now takes part in overseeing the development of standards and licensing for the short-range wireless technology. When Apple joined, the special interest group said the iPhone maker would provide insight on platform development, as the company understands that technology is now driven by "hub devices" that capture data, utilize data at the application layer, and even upload it to the cloud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 163
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

We never really knew how many pins, anyway. "19" was pulled out of the freaking air.

• Reply 2 of 163
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Why are iPhone to iPhone Bluetooth file transfers so much slower than over wi-fi?
  • Reply 3 of 163
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    To make an adapter that will support most existing accessories, they need two pins for power, two for USB data, two for serial, and four for analog audio in/out, plus ground and the accessory resistor. There are a couple others that might still be necessary. I guess the analog audio signals could be connected via the jack, but that would be a very un-Apple adapter.

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml has the current pinout, making it look pretty hard to go below about 16 pins.
  • Reply 4 of 163
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The feature would enable, say, a future iPod nano to display iMessages received by an iPhone, record voice memos that could be shared via the iPhone, and even initiate phone calls through its own headphones," he wrote. "It could also conceivably let you make iPhone calls from your iPad (or possibly even recent Macs), assuming the iPhone was paired with the computer over Bluetooth."

This sounds like an Apple fanboy's wet dream.

Yeah I wish Apple would do it, but there's is no proof this is gonna happen.

• Reply 5 of 163
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

A new rumor claims the expected smaller dock connector in Apple's next iPhone will be an 8-pin design ...

If it's only going to have 8 pins ...

1) why not just use USB3?

2) where are the other ports going to be located that take over all the missing functions?

• Reply 6 of 163
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

I hope they make the adapter in such a way where it's not that much bigger or intrusive than the current legacy version.  

• Reply 7 of 163
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    gazoobee wrote: »

If it's only going to have 8 pins ...

1) why not just use USB3?

2) where are the other ports going to be located that take over all the missing functions?

If you are down to 8 pins, you could still have serial communications for accessories where USB isn't viable. Pure USB would kill the current dock/accessory market.
  • Reply 8 of 163
    waverunnrwaverunnr Posts: 120member

I wish they'd move the dock connector to the side.  That way docking would be horizontal by default.  Makes it better for watching video and using your phone as an alarm clock.

• Reply 9 of 163
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member

It would be great if the dock connector ran at Thunderbolt speeds in the future

• Reply 10 of 163
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I wish it was a mag-safe+data connector. In other words: magnetic. Sadly.

• Reply 11 of 163
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I hope they make the adapter in such a way where it's not that much bigger or intrusive than the current legacy version.  

Well, it's really poorly worded in the article above, but it kinda sounds like they are making the port and the cable very shallow (so it can "potentially allow devices to be connected to docks and cables in two orientations ...").  This would indicate that any potential adapters would be very slim and thin.  Presumably iPhones sitting in equipment with docks would only be sitting a quarter inch or so higher. Probably a lot less. 

If this is true, it would also mean that we can finally get alarm clock docks that will accept the iPhone in a landscape orientation which is pretty much the only orientation that makes sense for alarm clocks.  

Still, I doubt the whole rumour because I can't see how they can possibly get the functions of the 30 pin connector onto 8 pins, and I don't see them dropping all that functionality.  

• Reply 12 of 163
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I'd love a headphone jack as their syncing jack; it'll go right in without looking. The current 30 pin connector is great, as to its (for some mod. lol) 10 year existence. But if Apple is all for simplicity, then why not design a round plug instead of a rectangular one; so it'll fit in any which way you plug it in/any way you hold it. Right now, I am sometimes holding it wrong.

With that request, they'll have a difficult time in getting high syncing speeds as well, sure. But what if it was optical? I believe a redesigned SPDIF plug could pull it off. Erhm, plug in.
  • Reply 13 of 163
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Why are iPhone to iPhone Bluetooth file transfers so much slower than over wi-fi?

Maybe because Bluetooth itself is slower than WiFi?

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Bluetooth_vs_Wifi
  • Reply 14 of 163
    Quote:

HP & Palm were doing some stuff like that (or at least were planning to) with WebOS. I saw a demo of it; It seemed pretty cool, but it wasn't enough to make me buy into their ecosystem. Of course a few months later they dropped the whole thing.
  • Reply 15 of 163
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I wish it was a mag-safe+data connector. In other words: magnetic. Sadly.

Which can disrupt audio signals.  Not too likely.  I wonder if moving the headphone jack to the bottom is to allow them to remove the audio pins and the new connector will be whatever the pin count is in the connector plus a jack that slots into the headphone jack.  It wouldn't be elegant at all tho.  8 pins seems ridiculously low.  I'd much rather see TB than USB if they are looking at other standards

• Reply 16 of 163

Originally Posted by NodNarb012 View Post

HP & Palm were doing some stuff like that (or at least were planning to) with WebOS. I saw a demo of it; It seemed pretty cool, but it wasn't enough to make me buy into their ecosystem. Of course a few months later they dropped the whole thing.

Sony has something almost exactly like what an iPod nano doing that would be.

So you can imagine what this place will look like when Apple does it.

• Reply 17 of 163
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Yeah, I'm not understanding why a proprietary 8-pin connector would be any better for iPhone users than one of the already-standard mini-USB/micro-USB connectors.  At least the 10-year old 30-pin connectors are ubiquitous.

<shakes head>

• Reply 18 of 163

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Yeah, I'm not understanding why a proprietary 8-pin connector would be any better for iPhone users than one of the already-standard mini-USB/micro-USB connectors. 

Because USB can't do what the Dock Connector can? How many times does this need to be said?

• Reply 19 of 163

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

This sounds like an Apple fanboy's wet dream.

Yeah I wish Apple would do it, but there's is no proof this is gonna happen.

http://www.getpebble.com/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android?ref=users

Quote:

Author Jeremy Horwitz was also reportedly told by one source that Apple is working on an unannounced iOS 6 feature that will greatly enhance Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity between devices.

Apple began adding Bluetooth 4.0 support to its devices in mid-2011 with the MacBook Air and Mac mini, while the launch of the iPhone 4S late last year marked the debut of Bluetooth 4.0 on handset from the company, along with "Bluetooth Smart Ready" support.

I've been waiting to get a Nano for this functionality.

• Reply 20 of 163
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Because USB can't do what the Dock Connector can? How many times does this need to be said?

Could you explain what exactly, please? With wifi becoming more and more the most elegant and natural way of synching, what's left is mainly charging, and mini USB would be perfect for that, the hole size seems compatible with it.