Amazon Cloud Player adds iTunes Match-like scan and match

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerMacBandit View Post

Actually a lot of the songs I have from iTunes are no longer available from iTunes. Also in fact Amazon does match your iTunes song secure or not. They don't unencrypt of course. It's just a simple song match not a conversion.

You know that for sure? Does it mean they match based on tags, not on actual data content? That would make the matching less computer intensive, but it would also open the door to a lot of abuse.

• Reply 22 of 24
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Why I don't see any of the literally hundred's of MP3s I bought through the Amazon MP3 store?  Why aren't those automatically available to my Amazon Cloud Player?

• Reply 23 of 24
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Why I don't see any of the literally hundred's of MP3s I bought through the Amazon MP3 store?  Why aren't those automatically available to my Amazon Cloud Player?

As it turns out, when I logged on to the Amazon Cloud Player from my Mac last night, I was prompted to accept their Terms of Usage before it would import past Amazon MP3 purchases or upgrade any songs already on the Cloud Drive to 256k.  At that point many (but not all) of my past MP3 purchases showed up on the Cloud Player for OSX and -- after a refresh -- on the iCloud Player on my iPhone.

FYI, some artists (Pink Floyd) don't import at all, some artists have certain albums but not others that will import, and most songs in the Christmas/Holiday genre didn't get imported.  Some of the stuff that didn't import is still available from the Amazon MP3 store, some isn't.

This may or may not be an issue, I won't really know until this weekend when I run the Cloud Player match against songs in my iTunes library.

• Reply 24 of 24
    You know that for sure? Does it mean they match based on tags, not on actual data content? That would make the matching less computer intensive, but it would also open the door to a lot of abuse.

Turns out what I read was misleading. What I read said it matched and would import all iTunes files. I just read the details at Amazon and it will not work with .m4p files. This sucks. Several hundred of my songs are no longer available from iTunes so I can't upgrade to unencrypted and they are at the old low bit rate format Apple was using so burning and refilling just gets me a bunch of crappy sounding files not to mention wasting dozens of CDs.