NHL Trade Deadline Thread.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Who's going to be shipped out? What teams are going to make big deals? I expect the Rangers to try to buy their way into the playoffs. Kovalev won't be enough for them. My dreams of Iginla in the Blue and White obviously won't come true but hopefully the Leafs will land either Owen Nolan or another good defenseman.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The worst thing the leafs could do to their buisness model is build a dynasty that would get them a few cups. After that fan support would surely drop off in response to poor performances. The way it is now, they have enough to win a cup if they get lucky and that's as good as they should ever want to be if they want to stay out of financial trouble. Stavro was right on and Quinn is the perfect man for the dual role he inhabits. You don't want to build a winner, that's stupid management. You want to build a contender, keep expectations low and hopes high. The leafs have masterfully balanced that formula over the last 35 years, even when they were a bottom feeding joke. Winning a cup would be fine, but winning a few over a few years would be utterly disasterous to them in the long run.

No Ignla, no big trades, mebbe a signing, but that's it, for all the reasons that matter (MONEY MONEY MONEY) the leafs are a perfect team as they are.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The Penguins are going to trade Martin Straka and Jan Hrdina to the Kings for an autographed poster of Ziggy Palffy and at least 3 bags of pucks. Oh and 2 million dollars. Just remember: it's NOT a salary dump. The Pens will actually *improve* their chances of making the playoffs by doing this.

Just ask Craig. It will almost be like having Palffy on the bench....

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 30
    The Rangers will trade for yet another offenseman with no defensive skills. They will not make the playoffs because they have no real defense.

The Flyers will trade for an offenseman because they need an offensive player that can actually score with fair regularity. That player will then have a scoring drought, but some other palyers ike Roenick will start to pick up a bit. They will go for Iginla, and will land Nolan.

The Avs will make some trade for some reason that is unclear to me. Status quo will be maintained anyway.

Rumors wil swirl around trading Scott Gomez, but he will go nowhere, and Lou Lamorillo will not make a trade. Pat Burns will continue to play Gomez at center where he will continue to excel despite everyone else screaming that he doesn't fit in the Devils' system.

The Islanders will land Iginla and make the second round of the playoffs.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs:

<strong>The Penguins are going to trade Martin Straka and Jan Hrdina to the Kings for an autographed poster of Ziggy Palffy and at least 3 bags of pucks. Oh and 2 million dollars. Just remember: it's NOT a salary dump. The Pens will actually *improve* their chances of making the playoffs by doing this.

Just ask Craig. It will almost be like having Palffy on the bench....

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: Moogs ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't worry. Anyone leaving the Penguins for the Kings is just going to get injured like the rest of the damn team. Someone gave my poor Kings the injury bug this year and its pissing me off.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Rotto: that's the only saving grace of the Kovalev trade - he rarely plays both sides of the ice, and someone who plays both sides of the ice is exactly what the Rangers don't have.

BR: I will be very sad to see Adam Deadmarsh go if he's forced to retire because of his concussion problems. He is probably my favorite player. I'm still pissed Colorado dealt him instead of say Yelle or someone else of equal point production. He was a cornerstone there, though they have admittedly done very well to get Reinprecht.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>The worst thing the leafs could do to their buisness model is build a dynasty that would get them a few cups. After that fan support would surely drop off in response to poor performances. The way it is now, they have enough to win a cup if they get lucky and that's as good as they should ever want to be if they want to stay out of financial trouble. Stavro was right on and Quinn is the perfect man for the dual role he inhabits. You don't want to build a winner, that's stupid management. You want to build a contender, keep expectations low and hopes high. The leafs have masterfully balanced that formula over the last 35 years, even when they were a bottom feeding joke. Winning a cup would be fine, but winning a few over a few years would be utterly disasterous to them in the long run.

No Ignla, no big trades, mebbe a signing, but that's it, for all the reasons that matter (MONEY MONEY MONEY) the leafs are a perfect team as they are.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd like to disagree with you, but I can't. I might get pissed off that Quinn will never make that big trade at the deadline or the Jonas Hoglund is still alive and still playing in the NHL but as long as the Leafs make the playoffs I'll be happy. But if there was ever a year the Leafs had enough trade bait it would be this year. Plenty of good prospects to go around and half the forwards are useless.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    I'm thinking the Devils make a move, but what I don't know. I love the Kovalev trade, I'd sure be pissed if I was a Penguins fan. I'm just glad I get to watch him play on a regular basis again. The Rangers should've never traded him.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    How can you people care about hockey now that Spring Training has started?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If the Devils make a trade, it will be for an offenseman. They could use one big center, and they might be looking for a quick fix for Brylin too. Lamorillo could victimize the Sens, Pens or Sabres. Maybe Satan from Buffalo? Who else would be trade-bait for those teams?

PS: If you think the NHL season is too long (it is), baseball must take the cake. "Spring" training in February?!

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quinn will probably be forced into a coaching only role after the summer. If the leafs do badly for a strectch next season or after, he'll be out, and that'll leave Dryden to start all over. Stavro was the best thing for the leafs, I don't understand why the media is so happy to see him go. Also don't forget that management now wants the Raptors to do better and may suck money out the leafs to do it, they've already paid a worthless lot way too much money and too top it all of they're making a pretense of competition when their chances of making the playoffs, much less advancing past the first round are slim to none. Can anyone say draft lottery position? Geeze. The seasons over, lets lose some games and start thinking about next year already.

I'd have never moved the leafs out of the Gardens. Profitability was guaranteed there, maybe a reno and bring the Raptors in too, but the gardens were golden. Ah well, things can turn around in a hurry. The Jays bought too much success too soon and look where it got them, they're about a decade away from being contracted out of the league or moved. I guess it's all OK when tax payers pay for your arenas, stadiums, property tax etc etc... In 15 years time there's going to be a big empty fancy retractable roof stadium and nothing to put into it. Better start courting an NFL franchise.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath:

<strong>How can you people care about hockey now that Spring Training has started?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Spring Training? Sorry, is that for a sport or something?

Anybody want a goalie? Went to the Stanley Cup finals last year, slightly used, recently sent to the minors... Call 1-800-GET-IRBE
  • Reply 12 of 30
    The Devils have to make a deal for someone that can deliver some offense. The deal they made with Dallas really went to shit for them. Niewuandyk(sp) couldn't be a bigger dissapointment. They need to find someone to replace Mogilny beside Gomez, either that or ship Gomez out. I imagine the Sharks, Flames, Hurricanes to be dumping payroll soon. The Canes could get some mighty fine prospects for someone like Jeff O'Neil. And they will end Paul Maurice's reign of terror shortly. The Pens would make more trades if they had anyone left to trade. Apparently Patrick had to make the Kovalev deal to cover the teams payroll for the next month. Maybe it's time for Lemieux to trade himself to a contender for $$$$$. My new dream for the Leafs, trade for O'Neil and Toddzilla(bertuzzi) and put them on a line with Tucker. Those three won a Memorial Cup together and it would surely bring the Cup back where it belongs.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>If the Devils make a trade, it will be for an offenseman. They could use one big center, and they might be looking for a quick fix for Brylin too. Lamorillo could victimize the Sens, Pens or Sabres. Maybe Satan from Buffalo? Who else would be trade-bait for those teams?

PS: If you think the NHL season is too long (it is), baseball must take the cake. "Spring" training in February?!

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Although I despise the Sens, they have one helluve team and won't be dumping salary this year (their money woes are irrelevant) I'd forgotten about the Sabres, they're horrid. Satan would be a perfect fit on the Devils. (Same line as Gomez) I wouldn't want that to happen though, the Leafs already have a hard enough time beating Jersey in playoffs.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    mwmw Posts: 31member
    [quote]Originally posted by InactionMan:

<strong>Who's going to be shipped out? What teams are going to make big deals? I expect the Rangers to try to buy their way into the playoffs. Kovalev won't be enough for them. My dreams of Iginla in the Blue and White obviously won't come true but hopefully the Leafs will land either Owen Nolan or another good defenseman.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, Kovalev won't shoot the Rangers into the playoffs. They played here in Buffalo last night, and the $30 mil payroll team at the bottom of the league beat the $80 mil payroll team 5:4.

Look for Buffalo trying to unload D Alex Zhitnik - too expensive, no production.

Buffalo, NY: City of "wide right" (Bills) and "no goal" (Sabres). Not many things have gone well for the "Queen City of the Lakes" since President McKinley was assasinated here in 1901.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    The sens will be out by the second round, mebbe even the first. Bunch of Nancy-boys.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Not only did the Leafs literally wail the piss out of the Sens on Tuesday, today they just added a bit more grump to line up. Owen Nolan for McCauly, Boyes, Draft Pick. Woo-Hoo. Can't wait for a Tucker/Neil rematch at the end of the year-Next time Neil won't have the rest of pussy Sens on the bench to back him up. Jaques Martin is a pee-pee toucher.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    At least Neil has some frickin' brains - Tucker is such a retard he can't even wait until later to get him ON THE ICE. He runs the bench to fight him, and will now lose over $80,000 in salary while he sits on his ass for a 5 game suspension. Now THERE is a smart hockey player. Duh.

Too bad the Leafs didn't get Nolan a few years ago, when he wasn't so banged up. The old boy has slowed down a ton since last year.

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 30
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Too bad the Leafs didn't get Nolan a few years ago, when he wasn't so banged up. The old boy has slowed down a ton since last year.</strong><hr></blockquote>

As seen by how shitty the sharks are doing now

Maybe, at least, San Jose management will realize that playing contract hardball with one of your cornerstone defensemen and your goalie does not lend itself to playing good coherent hockey.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Let's face it, Tucker's a bit of a hot head. It's okay to have an agitator on your club but you gotta know where to cross the line.

All they did was to give Ottawa more incentive to beat them in the playoffs (but they won't).

My question is why Ottawa had Arvidsen on the ice with just 3 minutes left with the game well in hand.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Someone should check Arvedson for testicles. I can't see someone who lays down like that in front of 20,000 people actually having balls. What an embarassment.

I mean he didn't have to slug it out with Domi, but jesus that looks pathetic.... I feel sorry for his wife.