iPad gives Apple market-leading 19% share of PC shipments

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Combined Mac and iPad sales reached more than 21 million in the second quarter of 2012, giving Apple a 19.4 percent share of all PC shipments.

Apple's sales made it the No. 1 worldwide vendor of PCs, easily besting second-place HP, which held 12.5 percent of the market with shipments of 13.5 million PCs, according to Canalys. Apple also saw the most year-over-year growth among the top vendors, increasing sales of Macs and iPads by 59.6 percent from the second quarter of 2011, while HP's total sales slid 11.3 percent.

A year ago, Apple finished in second place behind HP, with 13.6 percent of the market on sales of 13.2 million iPads and Macs. But this year, Apple was the clear-cut winner, selling nearly 8 million more total PCs than HP.

"There is now a large base of replacement buyers that simply must have the latest Apple product, and the decision to continue shipping the iPad 2 at lower price points has opened up new customers, for example in education,"said Tom Evans, Canalys Research Analyst. "One drawback of the stand-out retina display in the new iPad, however, is the increased storage demanded by HD content. An upgrade, without a big price increase, is a must for the next generation of product."

Behind Apple in first and HP in second was third-place Lenovo, which shipped 13.2 million PCs and took 12.1 percent of the market. Lenovo's shipments were up 27 percent year over year, giving it the second-fastest growth in the PC market among the top five vendors.

Canalys

In fourth was Acer, which shipped 10.7 million units, good for a 9.8 percent share and 4.3 percent year over year growth. Dell took fifth on shipments of 9.7 million PCs, giving it 8.9 percent of the market and a loss of 10.9 percent in unit sales year over year.

Overall, the PC market grew 11.7 percent year over year, with the top five driven by Apple and Lenovo, offsetting losses by HP and Dell.

"Reports that poor economic conditions and the wait for Windows 8 hurt the PC industry this quarter do not tell the whole story," Evans said. "The PC industry is performing well and 2012 is shaping up to be a record year. Vendors with innovative products will reap the rewards."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    In before... "[I]iPads aren't PCs!!![/I]"
  • Reply 2 of 44
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

In before... "iPads aren't PCs!!!"

damn beat me to it

shouldnt amazon and google be pc makers now too?

• Reply 3 of 44

I dug this gem of a quote from the Canalys article : "We expect the Surface pads to have a similar impact on the PC industry as the Zune did in portable music players,’ commented Canalys Analyst Tim Coulling."

• Reply 4 of 44

I wouldn't classify tablets with computers. Keeping them separate makes more sense. Although I'm sure Apple couldn't care less either way.

• Reply 5 of 44
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

We keep seeing this. The iPad being lumped in with the rest. 

Eventually (and sooner, I should think) it will just become a fact of life, and everyone will be reporting it this way. 

Inevitability. 

• Reply 6 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

In before... "iPads aren't PCs!!!"

How many people do you suppose were in the market for a new Windows notebook but ended up buying an iPad instead?

• Reply 7 of 44
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I wouldn't classify tablets with computers. Keeping them separate makes more sense. Although I'm sure Apple couldn't care less either way.

I would - many people are buying them to do the same tasks as they do with PCs.

If your goal is to see how many tablets are sold vs. traditional PCs, keep them separate. If your goal is to see how many computing devices companies are selling, include tablets.

• Reply 8 of 44
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Since the iPad 2, I've personally replaced over 40 dying, dead, or just plain old Windows PCs. I haven't had one... not "1" complaint yet!

Is the iPad a PC? No... and Thank Dawg it isn't one.

Does it replace a PC for the "average", tech-averse, web-surfing, FB-ing, emailing, YouTube-watching, PDF-viewing, game-once-in-awhile, etc., etc., etc.... WinPC user? [B]*100% YES![/B]

*My personal experience only as a tech consultant, and not to be confused or misconstrued as an official Apple iPad endorsement. That would cost some serious $$$$ :)
  • Reply 9 of 44
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Since the iPad 2, I've personally replaced over 40 dying, dead, or just plain old Windows PCs. I haven't had one... not "1" complaint yet!
    Is the iPad a PC? No... and Thank Dawg it isn't one.
    Does it replace a PC for the "average", tech-averse, web-surfing, FB-ing, emailing, YouTube-watching, PDF-viewing, game-once-in-awhile, etc., etc., etc.... WinPC user? *100% YES!
    *My personal experience only as a tech consultant, and not to be confused or misconstrued as an official Apple iPad endorsement. That would cost some serious $$$$ :)

Coulsnt agree more. Not a true replacement but can fill in for a computer for most people.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    How many people do you suppose were in the market for a new Windows notebook but ended up buying an iPad instead?

I think that's a valid argument for how the iPad has effected the PC market and how the iPad fits into the consumer electronic market as a whole, but for a standard classification I just see the iPad being called a "PC" despite how it is, by pedant definition a personal computer.

I wonder where the Surface and other Win8 devices are going to fit it in. I can see people now saying how Win8 is a "real" OS despite pretty much the same limitations and control for Win8 on ARM-based systems.
  • Reply 11 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

We keep seeing this. The iPad being lumped in with the rest. 

Eventually (and sooner, I should think) it will just become a fact of life, and everyone will be reporting it this way. 

Inevitability. 

Agreed....I try to do as much on my iPad as I can. My original white intel 20" iMac reminds me of a "sad" but still "dedicated" Wall-Eee sitting on my desk. I hardly go into my den anymore! :(

I'm pretty sure I won't be purchasing anymore desktops....and may be able to avoid purchasing an MBA as well. An iPad 7" an iP5 and a new Apple Television and I'll be good to go! :)

• Reply 12 of 44
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If that were my choice, I'd sure pick the iPad.

• Reply 13 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    bobdylan wrote: »
    I dug this gem of a quote from the Canalys article : "<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;line-height:18px;">We expect the Surface pads to have a similar impact on the PC industry as the Zune did in portable music players,’ commented Canalys Analyst Tim Coulling."</span>

My only quibble with that quote is the use of the word impact! LOL
  • Reply 14 of 44
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think that's a valid argument for how the iPad has effected the PC market and how the iPad fits into the consumer electronic market as a whole, but for a standard classification I just see the iPad being called a "PC" despite how it is, by pedant definition a personal computer.

I wonder where the Surface and other Win8 devices are going to fit it in. I can see people now saying how Win8 is a "real" OS despite pretty much the same limitations and control for Win8 on ARM-based systems.

Dig deeply enough, and you'll discover that the definition of "PC" ends up being "the box that does precisely and only what I've been doing with it for the past 20 years."

Mention the myriad of things an iPad does that the old-school PC doesn't, and the cricket-chirping is deafening.

Sorry, but the ability write code and create humungous spreadsheets is FAR from the full definition of a PC.

• Reply 15 of 44

So, how long before Dell gets grouped in with the "Others" category?

• Reply 16 of 44

Chromebooks Aren't PCs!

heh.

• Reply 17 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Bu-bu-bu-but! Wasn't that when they were supposed to want a little crippled Netbook? 

/s

• Reply 18 of 44
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Dig deeply enough, and you'll discover that the definition of "PC" ends up being "the box that does precisely and only what I've been doing with it for the past 20 years."

Mention the myriad of things an iPad does that the old-school PC doesn't, and the cricket-chirping is deafening.

Sorry, but the ability write code and create humungous spreadsheets is FAR from the full definition of a PC.

Direct hit! You sank the Luddite battleship. image

I'm continually amused at the parallels between these early days of the iPad and the original Macintosh. I remember back in the 80s when all those grumpy command line geeks were laughing off these new toy machines with their mouse and GUI and declaring them anything but "true computers." And yeah, maybe in the very early days, those guys sounded pretty logical and almost right in their point of view, but they--like the people dismissing the iPad--lacked foresight. It's not what this thing is today, but what it's becoming. Nobody would argue nowadays that the toy box with the mouse and GUI aren't real computers. In 5-10 years, nobody will be denying the same about the iPad and its descendants.

• Reply 19 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I really don't think your first sentence will fly. I suspect that for many consumers "PC" will be relegated to "the thing that collected dust bunnies under my desk that was connected with wires to a bunch of other things that sat on my desk that sits in a room I hardly go to anymore."

Enterprise users will have a more varied definition of "PC," but I think they associate the term with the device that defines where they are anchored at work. 

Most people today define iPad as the device that allows them to easily accomplish incredible things where ever they are. 

"PC" dredges up feelings of "paying the bills, being at work, sitting uncomfortably, frustration while trying to get things done." The iPad is free of those associations. 

• Reply 20 of 44
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Coulsnt agree more. Not a true replacement but can fill in for a computer for most people.

My sister's father in law was visiting from France and wantedto buy an iPad 2.  I pointed out that iOS 5 was due out soon and he would be able to sync over wi-fi.  I told her to have him wait till he went back to France the following week so if he was buying one w/3G he could make sure he was getting set up with the network he preferred.  He had them set it up in the store and doesn't have a normal computer at home.  He's still completely thrilled w/his "new computer" almost a year later. 

My wife had to use her original iPad as her computer for about 4 months last year after her hard drive in her desktop died.  The occasional website she would have to steal my computer, but generally she was just fine.

As soon as Surface comes out everyone will report tablets and PCs together.