Apple's next iPhone rumored with 8-pin dock connector, enhanced Bluetooth

Comments

• Reply 101 of 163
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Still no answer, I love the support you guys are giving me... way to treat one commenter.

I know, right? You still haven't answered my question about why "iPhone 5" makes any sense whatsoever! Weird.

• Reply 102 of 163

Quote:

Seeing that some iPhones 4S already display 4G on the top bar, I don't think it will be the case. AT&T wouldn't be very please about this and lots of people would wonder why the 4S was marketed as 4G already. 

I don't think it will be 4Something either since it seems that a redesign is going to take place, so it's not part of the 4 series (as someone else said).

The new iPhone 4G could be the iPhone that brings 4G to the rest of the world.  Not an ATT exclusive anymore.

This is all MarketingSpeak.  Whatever gets the damn things out the door fastest is what will be deemed the best name.

And besides, Apple has done things in the past that may have pissed off ATT.  But they did them anyways.  

• Reply 103 of 163

Quote:

I'm still waiting for an answer from a moderator.

Is the language that was used against me accepted on this forum? Not banning him is like a "yes" to me.

You need to learn that the language which is acceptable here is defined by its context. 

Given certain speakers and certain subject matter, anything goes.

• Reply 104 of 163
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I know, right? You still haven't answered my question about why "iPhone 5" makes any sense whatsoever! Weird.

Is that supposed to be a joke? You are really mistaking your role here. I suggest you give me an answer or I'll make everything to take down your website in France. I'm not kidding, I fell insulted by that post and I want you to do something about it.

If not, I want you to remove ALL my posts on this forum. No compliance to do so would go against French law that says that I'm the owner of my posts and I don't care if you are in the US, I WILL take down your website here. And yes, that's a menace.

Don't play with me. You can ban me, but I'll still ask for the removal of all my posts. Not just my name, all my posts have to have all their content erased. If you don't believe me look that up, ok?

EU sucks, I know... :P
  • Reply 105 of 163
    msqueenmsqueen Posts: 17member

I'll just wait til Apple announces the damn phone. 19 pins, 16...8?

• Reply 106 of 163
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It certainly gets tricky but they are doing it now with the iPad. With the Macs it wasn't too much of an issue because the old Macs stopped being sold except on their Refurbished Store. Still, they kept the same casing for so long with Macs that you do have to do some digging to find out when it was released.

I think the year qualifier will probably be adopted even if unofficially. It does make it easier and clearly their current naming scheme isn't working if people think the iPhone 4 was named not because it was the 4th gen iPhone but because 4 comes after 3+G+S.

Note the 3rd gen iPad isn't called The New iPad for all time. They aren't going to name the 4th gen iPad The Newer iPad. It's like Yesterday and Tomorrow, they are relative term, and we seem to do well with those. The problem comes when trying to get an idea of what model is being used which is more an issue for tech support than anything else.

Yes, that was my point exactly that it would only work to not name the iteration as long as there is only one model of each product for sale at a given time.  

Perhaps they will call it "the new iPhone" (like "the new iPad"), and then rename it in an unofficial way as "iPad 2012" when next years' "the new iPad" comes out?  We'll find out soon enough I suppose.  They could even create "budget" models of the iPad and iPhone and thus stop selling last year's models as they do now. 

• Reply 107 of 163
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

The new iPhone [with] 4G [LTE] could be the iPhone that brings 4G to the rest of the world.  Not an ATT exclusive anymore.

1) How has 4G been exclusive to AT&T so far?

2) How to figure that 4G LTE will be available for the rest of the world when the iPad released this year (note it has a lot more internal space) could only support 3 LTE operating bands? Hopefully we see the 3rd gen 28nm LTE chips from Qualcomm in the next iPhone and hopefully they support more bands but I don't think it's possible to support all the world's operating bands that are currently in use. With GSM there were just 4 main bands, with W-CDMA there are more but most of it served with 4 bands (also, we didn't get 5 band chips for W-CDMA until 2010), but with LTE the spectrums were all over the place and while the air interface and other technologies have lined up the spectrum allocations have not. By my count they'll need 8 bands to support the majority of their market and that just seems unrealistic for a single device as svelte and compact as the iPhone. We may see the iPhone regionalized in HW for the first time despite using the world-mode baseband.
  • Reply 108 of 163

Is that supposed to be a joke? 

Nope. "How can you not see it" is not an explanation.

I suggest you give me an answer… 

The last thing you said that was anywhere near a question was, "What do you think? That I wrote it and it doesn't make sense to me?"

To which I gave no reply, as I have none until I get more information. Hence why I asked you a question in turn, specifically asking how you could possibly see it as making sense.

If not, I want you to remove ALL my posts on this forum. No compliance to do so would go against French law that says that I'm the owner of my posts and I don't care if you are in the US, I WILL take down your website here. And yes, that's a menace.

Don't play with me. You can ban me, but I'll still ask for the removal of all my posts. Not just my name, all my posts have to have all their content erased. If you don't believe me look that up, ok?

Yes, that's certainly happening.

• Reply 109 of 163

Quote:

1) How has 4G been exclusive to AT&T so far?

Somebody said that the ATT version of the current iPhone says "4G" in the display.  If other versions of the iPhone also display 4G then I would be wrong.  I don't know the answer, but I assumed that only the ATT model says "4G". n Frankly, I was surprised to learn that.

Even if it does, Apple could still call the next one the iPhone  4G without the name being a problem on account of ATT.  That was the point.  Sorry you missed it.  

2) How to figure that 4G LTE will be available for the rest of the world

It is a figure of speech.  Much like if one used the term "everyone else" in its place.  Neither are to be taken literally.  Chalk it up to being a "social convention".  Hope this helps.

(And no, I am not suggesting any actual use of chalk or even writing at any great height.)

• Reply 110 of 163
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Me too.  If I'm walking with my iPhone in my pocket, rocking out to tunes w/ the headphones, my iPhone is sitting upright in my pocket.  If I then take it out, it's still upright.

I know it sounds like such a little thing, but the headphone jack on the bottom makes no sense to me at all.

If they move the jack to the bottom, it will be facing bottom up toward you.  When you remove the phone from your pocket, you will be holding the same part of the phone you always hold.  how does the orientation in your pocket matter?  During the NCAA tournament this year I couldn't find the games I wanted on a local radio station, so I used the NCAA app and turned the phone upside down in my left breast pocket of my shirt.  Speaker was facing my head and I could listen to the games while I drove, like a very expensive transistor radio heh.  If you unplug the headphones the speaker is now also facing toward you so it won't sound ridiculously mufffled and you would need to flip the phone around.  I fail to see the issue here.  All the ins and outs are together, only the power button still on top.

• Reply 111 of 163
    Somebody said that the ATT version of the current iPhone says "4G" in the display.  If other versions of the iPhone also display 4G then I would be wrong.  I don't know the answer, but I assumed that only the ATT model says "4G". n Frankly, I was surprised to learn that.

Even if it does, Apple could still call the next one the iPhone  4G without the name being a problem on account of ATT.  That was the point.  Sorry you missed it.  

Seriously? You aren't aware that it's 4G in name to refer to HSPA+? It's a designation started by T-Mobile USA that AT&T railed against and thhen adopted because there is no legal definition of a cardinal number followed by a letter for cellular tech. To restate, the tech in the iPhone 4S does not have any additional HW that is exclusive to AT&T. It's just a bit of code that says 4G whenever it's connected to an HSPA+ network.
    It is a figure of speech.  Much like if one used the term "everyone else" in its place.  Neither are to be taken literally.  Chalk it up to being a "social convention".  Hope this helps.

I was very, very clear about what the number of bands needed and my concerns about the potential limitations of the baseband HW so I have no idea what you're getting on about.
  • Reply 112 of 163
    ssquirrel wrote: »
    aaronj wrote:
    I know it sounds like such a little thing, but the headphone jack on the bottom makes no sense to me at all.
    If they move the jack to the bottom, it will be facing bottom up toward you.  When you remove the phone from your pocket, you will be holding the same part of the phone you always hold.  how does the orientation in your pocket matter?  During the NCAA tournament this year I couldn't find the games I wanted on a local radio station, so I used the NCAA app and turned the phone upside down in my left breast pocket of my shirt.  Speaker was facing my head and I could listen to the games while I drove, like a very expensive transistor radio heh.  If you unplug the headphones the speaker is now also facing toward you so it won't sound ridiculously mufffled and you would need to flip the phone around.  I fail to see the issue here.  All the ins and outs are together, only the power button still on top.

Adding to that, you won't get the headphone cable in the way of the screen or the camera if it's on the bottom. This is a feature I've been wanting since it was introduced with the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 113 of 163
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that has nothing to do with it. We're talking about how the device is sold at launch. The iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone, has an A4 chip and shipped with iOS 4. His "iPhone 5" will be the 6th iPhone, ship with iOS 6, have 4G telephony, and we don't know what the chip's going to be. There's nothing "5" about it.

Dude- you're a fool.  I made you look like an idiot the last time you said this- here, let me do it again.

The 4th generation iPhone had an A4 chip and shipped with iOS4.  Called iPhone 4

The 5th Generation iPhone had an A5 chip and shipped with iOS5.  Called iPhone 4S

Your argument doesnt hold water.  Guessing what the new iPhone will be called is as futile as you learning how to be a moderator and not a tool.

• Reply 114 of 163
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member

I wish the connector was fluffy and smelled like lavender.

• Reply 115 of 163

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Your argument doesnt hold water.

My argument that the next iPhone is going to be called "the new iPhone" holds no water?

Ooooooookay!

• Reply 116 of 163
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Dude- you're a fool.  I made you look like an idiot the last time you said this- here, let me do it again.

The 4th generation iPhone had an A4 chip and shipped with iOS4.  Called iPhone 4

The 5th Generation iPhone had an A5 chip and shipped with iOS5.  Called iPhone 4S

Your argument doesnt hold water.  Guessing what the new iPhone will be called is as futile as you learning how to be a moderator and not a tool.

Now now, no need to behave like a child, you would only lower yourself to the level of Tallest Skil.

• Reply 117 of 163
    andysol wrote: »

1) Calling someone a fool is a violation. Stating their comment is foolish is not.

2) The 4S had the same design as the 4, which got its name from being the 4th gen iPhone, and followed the 'S' addition to the name like the 3GS over the 3G, the 2nd gen iPhone. The only 2 common factors have been that the 2nd model based off the same casing gets the 'S' appellation and that they have used a number for the first model in the series that subscribe to a distinct HW generation. Where is the 5th HW generation? I see everything but the number 5.
  • Reply 118 of 163
    dacloo wrote: »
    I wish the connector was fluffy and smelled like lavender.

I just hope it comes with matching nail polish. (A link is probably needed for relevance but I'm going to pass this time)
  • Reply 119 of 163
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member

Quote:

But at least it made sense when you removed the FW, iPod Photo, and other unused or obsolesced pins from the current line up. Unless you have some very advanced HW inside to switch pins at will, which seems like overkill, 8 just isn't cutting it.

Even iff they add USB3 support you still won't get those speeds. Even now the transfers are still bottlenecked by the NAND.

One thing I'd like to see, but don't know if it's possible, is using the TB connector for data transfer and charging. I'm still talking about the USB protocol over TB but having 2x the wattage for charging. This would be especially great for the iPad. That said, it's still only 5W with the wall unit and it does mean a hotter unit and parts that wear faster so I'm guessing that simply isn't feasible.

No way! I don't want my keys or other items to start sticking to my iPhone in my pocket or bag. The whole reason for MagSafe is to protect against accidentally tripping the cord and having the machine go flying off and get damaged. I just don't see how that is an issue with a smartphone. If anything they need a reverse MagSafe for the headphone jack, but that's for another discussion.

You bring up a good point about keys and other items sticking to your phone however this may not be a problem if the magnet is only on the plug and not on the phone itself.

• Reply 120 of 163
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Umm, why not just a thunderbolt?

No PCI-e 3.0 on ARM chips.  There are some with PCI-e 2.0, but I haven't been abel to find any advertised w/3.0.  Have to have PCI-e and DisplayPort for TB to function.  If those are not built into the iPhone, they would not be able to have TB.

Quote:

Is that supposed to be a joke? You are really mistaking your role here. I suggest you give me an answer or I'll make everything to take down your website in France. I'm not kidding, I fell insulted by that post and I want you to do something about it.

EU sucks, I know... :P

Good job on threatening a DDoS (or whatever) on a website.  That's sure to win you lots of points and friends as well as prove what a avst intellect is behind that keyboard. /s  BTW, it isn't an EU site, it's US based.  Not sure it falls under the EU laws for that, but keep things up and I'm sure they are more than happy to wipe your existence from these boards.  You are free to feel insulted by his post.  It's a free country.  Moderators are people too and they will post on trheads if they want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yes, that was my point exactly that it would only work to not name the iteration as long as there is only one model of each product for sale at a given time.  

Perhaps they will call it "the new iPhone" (like "the new iPad"), and then rename it in an unofficial way as "iPad 2012" when next years' "the new iPad" comes out?  We'll find out soon enough I suppose.  They could even create "budget" models of the iPad and iPhone and thus stop selling last year's models as they do now. 

I wouldn't be surprised by this at all.  Release the new iPad in 2013 and retroactively change the 2012 one to the iPad 2012.  Why create budget models when they have already done the design work on the old models and producing them is likely cheaper than separate design and production of a cut down model of the current version? 

Oh and as for the tripping over an iPhone cord, no never.  My cable is plugged into my Mini at home and I keep one in my backpack so I can plug into my desktop at work.  When they moved my desk I made sure to request they put the tower on teh corner of my desk instead of down below so I could keep things plugged in more easily.  It's very rare that I am somewhere I can't just plug in w/the USB cable, but I have the adapter in my bag too.  Almost always ends up plugged in by a bed or something in those rare cases