Microsoft still taking Apple on head-to-head in continued retail expansion

Comments

• Reply 41 of 134
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Christiana Mall is in Newark, DE; a short drive from the University of Delaware.

I went to the MS store in Mall of America and there was like 10 people in the store, half of them employees. The apple store across the hallway was packed. this was on a Monday.

• Reply 42 of 134
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Once again Jobs showed the clueless how to do it right. Ballmer does whatever Steve did, only years later after he had his knees whacked.
  • Reply 43 of 134
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Tagline: "Daytime soaps have never stooped so low."

Click for larger, since Huddler… 

Ballmer is modeling a new girdle in this picture.
  • Reply 44 of 134
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    steverance wrote: »
    Microsoft's new store at the Westchester Mall in White Plains, N.Y., is set to open soon ... With Zune!!!

Yeah, I chuckled when I saw that too.
  • Reply 45 of 134

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

LOL

By George, I think you've got it...

• Reply 46 of 134

The Microsoft store in Atlanta is twice the square footage as the Apple Store there, but always has less than half of the number of customers.

• Reply 47 of 134
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member

Walking from an Apple store into the Microsoft one "WTF?"

• Reply 48 of 134

Let's be honest here - Microsoft could build stores right next door if they want. They could have people outside, naked, encouraging you in. But anyone there to buy an Apple product, will simply smile as they walk on by.

• Reply 49 of 134
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That's my experience too. I was in Tampa last week for an Apple Care covered battery replacement from my 2010 MBP and it was literally packed. Yet in the hour I sat there everyone was happy, smiling and the atmosphere was amazing. I got into conversations with several folk around me while waiting for my turn and several were switchers who couldn't stop from gushing about how much they loved the whole Apple experience.

I would love to listen to the conversation in the Windows Store .... "You thinking of switching?" ... "Hell yes!" /smile

Ah, same area as myself, neighbor. :-)  The Apple store at International Mall is always packed, it's unreal.  The experience there is unreal, too.  

• Reply 50 of 134
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    genovelle wrote: »
    Agreed!  Lets see Microsoft had 13 million visitors over three years.  Apple had 813 million visitor last quarter.  Even if you just took 20 of Apples stores to compare.  17000 <span style="font-family:helvetica, arial, clean, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:20px;">visitors per store, per week times 20 stores for three years is 43 million visitors. Keep in mind Apple has 372 stores.  </span>

And Apple didn't have to bribe the customers with gifts to get them to come into the stores.
  • Reply 51 of 134
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

What kind of an idiot calls themselves "Flo Rida"????  

Big muscle dude with a bad pun on a girls name for his handle?  WTF?

• Reply 52 of 134
    bocboc Posts: 72member

MS stores are Ballmer's WAG dream...& will presage his exit from MS...damn it.

• Reply 53 of 134

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

like MS stores are derivative of Apples stores

Flo Rida << Will I. Am  

• Reply 54 of 134

I have 5 Apple Stores in my metro area.  Including the Mall of America which has the (at the time) largest Microsoft store across the hallway (literally).  I think the only thing that keeps the MS store somewhat filled is the LegoLand playground next to it, so one parent can come in while the others are out playing in the duplo pit. 

The apple store has a table for the kids, so no problems there;-)  The microsoft store... it has nice lightly used couches.

The reason why Apple has 5 stores in the Minneapolis/StPaul area is that the MOA is supposedly the highest value store in US in terms of $$/sqft/year.  You would swear that Apple gives away shopping bags at the MOA, as everyone seems to have one as they troll the stores (note, there are 3 Best Buy stores in the mall as well).  Microsoft,  I have to say I've never seen a MS bag in all my days in the Mall (not many, but at least 4 shopping days a year.)

• Reply 55 of 134
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

He's also from Florida. If he's an idiot, he's an idiot w/BAGS of money more than the rest of us in this thread heh.

• Reply 56 of 134
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I have 5 Apple Stores in my metro area.  Including the Mall of America which has the (at the time) largest Microsoft store across the hallway (literally).  I think the only thing that keeps the MS store somewhat filled is the LegoLand playground next to it, so one parent can come in while the others are out playing in the duplo pit. 

The apple store has a table for the kids, so no problems there;-)  The microsoft store... it has nice lightly used couches.

The reason why Apple has 5 stores in the Minneapolis/StPaul area is that the MOA is supposedly the highest value store in US in terms of $$/sqft/year.  You would swear that Apple gives away shopping bags at the MOA, as everyone seems to have one as they troll the stores (note, there are 3 Best Buy stores in the mall as well).  Microsoft,  I have to say I've never seen a MS bag in all my days in the Mall (not many, but at least 4 shopping days a year.)

When you look for MS bags, above is what you'll be looking for. :-)

• Reply 57 of 134

Quote:

This seems to be the strategy MS used in the Xbox release... release a product, market the product, market the marketing, absorb huge losses until it's making money, and ignore the sunk costs, and claim victory.

All in all, the MS store is like the 'Surface'  It's a 'reference platform' for MS to shove in front of it's partners, and say "This is how we want our stuff marketed... if you can't do this, we'll take over your spot in the MS food chain."  Problem is... MS working the ends (delivery to consumer/ OS and requirements engineering), and ignoring the middle (UX engineering [apple would hate that term], HW/SW integration, end to end experience, HW/SW support, online store, integration of retail to user experience (my appleID and my storeID are the same), etc etc.

MS is selling product by maximizing expertise in experience.   

MS selling Dell or Samsung hardware no better than BestBuy.   Once you get to a problem, MS doesn't own it.  Dell, HP, Nvidia, Sony own the problem.

Hence, the MS store is a walk in experience marketing campaign.   The problem is, MS only controls about 20% of the experience.

Apple is selling experience, by maximizing expertise in the product.   Any problem with your Mac or iPhone, is pretty much Apple's (or yours) to solve, because they are the ones who specced every piece and shipped it to you.

MS' key mistake, is that they think people want a product.    No.  People want experience, preferably one that is enjoyable, and 'gets the job done'.   The concept of "Windows Ready" or "Intel Inside" have been replaced with a single silver Apple logo, like a Mercedes or BMW logo...  MS thinks people wants Windows (Windows EVERYWHERE), no people want a device that solves a problem for them... it's the difference between a hammer, a nail and some wood, and a finished picture frame.  

the MS store is antithetical to how MS's DNA runs... They supply SW to others and others do stuff with it (OEM's, corporations)  The store is to sell solutions.  but as I said, in MS's business model, they don't own the solution, therefore in the end, they can't sell solutions... they sell product.  And like BestBuy, they will fail.

This is extremely well articulated.  Remind me to follow your posts Geoff :)

It will be interesting to see if Samsung, Amazon, or Google/Motorola manage to become product experts selling experiences like Apple today.  It seems that of the three, Samsung has gained the strongest foothold in the market by becoming hardware experts (admittedly by stealing hardware designs from Apple), and paying just enough attention to software to make it all work well enough for the average consumer.  Any thoughts on what strategy Apple should use to ultimately win against these competitors?

• Reply 58 of 134
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I'd like to point out what an epic fail the M$ store is in WA. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

Well, it will be interesting to see the discrepancies between The Apple Store and a Microsoft store.  My local Apple Store is in the Village in Corte Madera.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The Apple store in Kenwood Town Centre in Cincy is being remodeled so they are in a smaller temporary location currently. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by steverance View Post

Microsoft's new store at the Westchester Mall in White Plains, N.Y., is set to open soon ... With Zune!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

The Microsoft Store in the mall closest to me is always dead. The Apple Store in the same mall is packed as hell at all hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Christiana Mall is in Newark, DE; a short drive from the University of Delaware.

I went to the MS store in Mall of America and there was like 10 people in the store, half of them employees. The apple store across the hallway was packed. this was on a Monday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yeah, I chuckled when I saw that too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

The Microsoft store in Atlanta is twice the square footage as the Apple Store there, but always has less than half of the number of customers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I have 5 Apple Stores in my metro area.  Including the Mall of America which has the (at the time) largest Microsoft store across the hallway (literally). 

Would be nice to see some comparative photos. Certainly somebody has a camera. An iPhone?

P.S., NOT asking to get a full-blown account as was done in Matt Rosoff's article in Business Insider, HEAD TO HEAD BATTLE: Microsoft Store Vs. Apple Store — Which Is Better?

• Reply 59 of 134
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member

MS makes an OS and software.  Other guys make the ugly cases.  Why do they care what hardware it's on? Do they actually make more money on an Acer/Vaio etc. system than if their stuff was installed on a macbook?  Maybe customers just don't understand, because I still don't know what their selling point is.  The only thing I can imagine they would make sense if they said:

"We run software that you can on a macbook but don't require bootcamp or other 3rd party apps.  We sell systems cheaper than the other guys because our parts are crappier.  We don't require you to get a skin for you laptop because we provide an ugly one for you.  We guarantee that your win 3.1 software will still work so you don't have to code it all over again.  We still let you plug in your serial mouse, and parallel port printer so you might not have to buy a new one.  Your floppy disks will keep spinning.  Sitting beside your friend's macbook, theft will not be an issue."

• Reply 60 of 134

Huh...they need to update that list.  There's been a Microsoft store open at Lenox Mall in Atlanta for some time now.  Gets pretty decent traffic too - although about 1/2 or 1/3 of the Apple store there.