Sharp announces it will ship screens for Apple's next iPhone this month

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

The people in Korea look at Samsung as an asset to generate pride, not profit.

South Koreans take pride in celebrating that they're wholly unable to come up with their own ideas and so just steal wholesale from Americans?

The only way they could end their contract with Apple is if they choose not to renew. If they cut it off prematurely, they'll be fined tens of billions of dollars at minimum, and then Apple would probably go to someone else anyway, just to hurt them more.

• Reply 42 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It always amazes me how fast Apple can ramp up production but it may be shown with limited availability and announced to ship in quantity soon thus giving some extra time.

Cash up front.  

• Reply 43 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

South Koreans take pride in celebrating that they're wholly unable to come up with their own ideas and so just steal wholesale from Americans?

Again you just don't understand Koreans.

These people, especially the highly educated ones, are ultra-competitive, meaning, they'd do whatever to beat their opponents (yes even immorale or botherline illegal). They take pride in winning, not 'playing by the rules' and lose. You probably don't agree with this, but a lot of people do, in fact, if you look at the the CEOs of the top 100 companies in US, honestly do they always play by the rules? Of course not! 99 of them will have done major 'rule-breaking' stuffs in the course of their lives. Let's not be naive here.

• Reply 44 of 86

Quote:

The only way they could end their contract with Apple is if they choose not to renew. If they cut it off prematurely, they'll be fined tens of billions of dollars at minimum, and then Apple would probably go to someone else anyway, just to hurt them more.

False. Every proper contract has an exit clause and terms for either party. Who knows what it is, but it's probably expensive. 

• Reply 45 of 86
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Quote:

uhhh, you talking about the same Samsung that is granted about EIGHT times as many patents as Apple PER YEAR? That Samsung?

The one that spent millions of dollars on R&D to create the backbone of how phones operate and communicate with each other? Those standards didn't create themselves. 

Not Samsung's fault they didn't invent the rectangle, they were maybe too busy on their other 4000 patents to bother about inventing the rectangle, something NEVER SEEN BEFORE. image

• Reply 46 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Not Samsung's fault they didn't invent the rectangle, they were maybe too busy on their other 4000 patents to bother about inventing the rectangle, something NEVER SEEN BEFORE. image

Well, maybe Samsung should spend a little less time developing the backbone elements of modern communication infrastructure and a little more time patenting the obvious.

Just a suggestion.

• Reply 47 of 86

uhhh, you talking about the same Samsung that is granted about EIGHT times as many patents as Apple PER YEAR? That Samsung?

What the frick does 'number of patents' have to do with anything here? I don't care if you own all possible patents on all possible objects for all possible uses. You have to actually do something with them.

And yet Samsung sees fit to take from Apple.

• Reply 48 of 86

Quote:

What the frick does 'number of patents' have to do with anything here? I don't care if you own all possible patents on all possible objects for all possible uses. You have to actually do something with them.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/samsung-starts-mass-producing-4x-faster-mobile-flash-memory/

I suppose that Samsung took this from Apple?

• Reply 49 of 86

Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/samsung-starts-mass-producing-4x-faster-mobile-flash-memory/

I suppose that Samsung took this from Apple?

The argument here is not about individual components. Don't get sidetracked.

• Reply 50 of 86

Quote:

The argument here is not about individual components. Don't get sidetracked.

Very true, but when Tim gets on stage next year announcing magic that the new new iPad is 4x as fast, you can bet big money he won't be thanking Samsung for the tech.

• Reply 51 of 86
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    sleepy3 wrote: »

The one that spent millions of dollars on R&D to create the backbone of how phones operate and communicate with each other? Those standards didn't create themselves. 

Not Samsung's fault they didn't invent the rectangle, they were maybe too busy on their other 4000 patents to bother about inventing the rectangle, something NEVER SEEN BEFORE. :lol:

Why do people such as your good self keep repeating a silly thing like that as if it will make it true! This inventing the rectangle is just fud piled on fud.

If Kia produced an identical looking car to a particular BMW model and BMW sued, those of the same mentality would start crying about four wheels on a box not being anything that can be patented and Kia were not doing anything wrong.

The awful designs for tablets and phones Samnsung and others had pre iPhone and iPad were also rectangles and no one is saying they are ripping off Apple's designs with those horrors.
  • Reply 52 of 86

Quote:

WAAHHHHHH WAAAHHHH

you mad bro?image

Whether you do something withem or not...its still innovation. And oh yeah, have you used any 3g today? Dumb question, you have an iphone (as usual Apple is years behind in tech so no 4G till decades later), well then yeah, you are using some good old Samsung innovation, which by the way, Apple has not paid for, they just stole. So yeah, your whole argument about Samsung not innovating is kinda weak. 

Not their fault they couldn't figure out the rectangleimage I just types that in to see you get mad again. 

• Reply 53 of 86
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

Sharp's President, speaking about his company's last contract ever with Apple, said that they'd start shipping.....

It's unlikely that he violated any contractual clause when he stated this. There is always someone who assumes the CEO is a moron and doesn't recognize what can be stated in public.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This seems very odd in many ways. I can't expect that shipping a component only this month would lead to quantities ready for sale next month. I can't imagine that Apple would allow Sharp to speak of this. Some might say Apple can't do anything about it but believe me when I say they have contracts that protect them from executives talking.

Did the original comment specifically state it was the iPhone or was that an assumption? If Sharp wants their IGZO displays to gain traction and their quality is less than displays Apple currently uses then this might be perfect for a small, cheap tablet.

There are many possible explanations, although I don't really care to speculate. The main thing was regarding quality, it's not a one dimensional issue. They may have been very specific concerns regarding manufacturing tolerance/yields. The hardware may have possessed an undesirable color temperature in its white values requiring some amount of emulation for the desired effect but cutting yields due to the number that can actually hit the desired specs without banding issues. I'm making up hypothetical problems. The point is that even if the outcome is presented as simple boolean logic, the underlying factors may have far greater complexity. Displays are a strange issue anyway. It's not totally possible to describe color accuracy without some kind of reference model and a set of theoretically perfect values. Given the limited number of values that can be addressed, it has to be balanced around something rather than all that someone with (theoretically) perfect vision can see.

• Reply 54 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why do people such as your good self keep repeating a silly thing like that as if it will make it true! This inventing the rectangle is just fud piled on fud.

If Kia produced an identical looking car to a particular BMW model and BMW sued, those of the same mentality would start crying about four wheels on a box not being anything that can be patented and Kia were not doing anything wrong.

The awful designs for tablets and phones Samnsung and others had pre iPhone and iPad were also rectangles and no one is saying they are ripping off Apple's designs with those horrors.

Oh sorry, i meant rectangles with rounded edges. 

Just rectangles would be ridiculous, lol. Those rounded edges however, now THATS innovation. 

• Reply 55 of 86

you mad bro?image

Whether you do something withem or not...its still innovation. And oh yeah, have you used any 3g today? Dumb question, you have an iphone (as usual Apple is years behind in tech so no 4G till decades later), well then yeah, you are using some good old Samsung innovation, which by the way, Apple has not paid for, they just stole. So yeah, your whole argument about Samsung not innovating is kinda weak. 

Not their fault they couldn't figure out the rectangleimage I just types that in to see you get mad again. 

Would someone please let me know when this thing gets back to something even remotely resembling a coherent, intelligent argument?

• Reply 56 of 86

Quote:

Would someone please let me know when this thing gets back to something even remotely resembling a coherent, intelligent argument?

ooohhh, good way to run away. 

Bring up the patents you say it doesn't matter,

bring up the Samsung innovation as shown by their memory technology, you say its not a whole device so it doesn't matter

Bring up the fact that the iphone is dependent on Samsung innovation, you say it doesn't matter. 

Hmmm, i'll play your game by your rules. 

Samsung sucks, all they do is copy, Apple rules, they invented everything. Samsung never invented anything. Go Apple. 

See, we are on the same side now, where's my turtle neck?

• Reply 57 of 86
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

When you're the largest component consumer in the world, you have few options for large scale fabs.   They are moving that way, but even if you do, you need someone the size of Samsung to take over key fabs (CPU).   Ideally, you want a BIG Fab with the ability to move mountains to hit deadlines and maintain quality for your primary source.   Yet they can't be too large so that they don't care about you as a customer... say like to be held up by an Intel who says, "Whoops, we're late with SandyBridge... sorry about that"

To fund say 3-4 competitive fabs up front to develop processes to build your chips/components is a lot of duplicative effort.   It's always better to fund one primary, and retain 'exclusive rights' to their work output (process and product), and once they scale it, you then take their process and present it to other people and say 'this is the process, now you pay for the implementation (we've got Samsung to work out the details) and getting your quality levels up to our needs.'   In other words, in terms of risk, you need a 'partner' that has the capacity to absorb some of the risk.  4 small partners is not the same as 1 big one.

Nice post. Well written and educational. 

• Reply 58 of 86
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

you mad bro?image

I wish I could un-read the idiocy I just read, I think I just fried a few braincells. Wow.

Here's a tip: Go learn the english language, learn how to compose a legible, coherent, rational argument, (that's also not full of lies, ignorance, and half-truths) then come back here. In the meantime, try to do something useful with your life that actually benefits you, instead of trolling. What are you doing on an Apple rumors site if you despise the company so much? Why would you waste your time constantly visiting, posting in, and refreshing forums about a company you believe to be 'decades' behind? There's a million other forums that might actually discuss things you like, yet you choose to come here and try to mock others with your pointless blathering?

Another example of a thread ruined and side-tracked by utter garbage.  

• Reply 59 of 86
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    ooohhh, good way to run away. 

Bring up the patents you say it doesn't matter,
    bring up the Samsung innovation as shown by their memory technology, you say its not a whole device so it doesn't matter
    Bring up the fact that the iphone is dependent on Samsung innovation, you say it doesn't matter. 

Hmmm, i'll play your game by your rules. 

Samsung sucks, all they do is copy, Apple rules, they invented everything. Samsung never invented anything. Go Apple. 

See, we are on the same side now, where's my turtle neck?

No, you're still spewing irrelevancies.

Samsung is being accused of stealing Apple's technology. Whether or not Samsung has created some of their own technologies is irrelevant to that question.

It's like saying that a billionaire should be able to steal anything he wants because he already has lots of money.
  • Reply 60 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, you're still spewing irrelevancies.

Samsung is being accused of stealing Apple's technology. Whether or not Samsung has created some of their own technologies is irrelevant to that question.

It's like saying that a billionaire should be able to steal anything he wants because he already has lots of money.

Actually I was responding to, and I Quote

"South Koreans take pride in celebrating that they're wholly unable to come up with their own ideas and so just steal wholesale from Americans

So, in that case, I simply showed how that statement is a complete lie. They are able to come up with their own ideas. And i gave evidence of them wholly coming up with their own ideas

What's wrong with that? Surely you can't let a blatant lie like "Koreans are wholly unable to come up with their own ideas" pass?