Apple wants to wipe Google off the map with iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 21 of 150
    ronm88ronm88 Posts: 11member

Hopefully Apple continues to work on making their maps look better. Apple's maps in the US are decent, but in my opinion Google's maps are far better (in terms of readability and information provided). However, I was in Japan, and Apple's maps in Japan need a LOT of work. I'm not sure how other regions fare (being a European company, Tom-Tom maps are probably pretty good for Europe).

• Reply 22 of 150
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

So long as what they are replacing it with is something equal or better (probably better) then there should be nobody upset with this decision.

Although, I wonder for those people who don't want the change, if they can retain Google Maps as default.  What would be great about that is Google can then step THEIR game up, and everyone else wins.

Good for Apple.  WTG

• Reply 23 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Why is it that on the Google Map, you can see a small island above the Lands End pin, but it's not displayed on the Apple map? And why is it that the small islands east of Point Lobos Avenue are simply displayed as a large triangle on the Apple maps?

Perhaps something still under development?  Google has had time to refine their maps after all...

• Reply 24 of 150
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Seems to pretty clearly violate the app store rule about doing the same thing 1st party apps do. 

Like, say Kindle App and iBooks for instance and countless other examples?

Oh, hang on, they don't.

Take your lie and shove it.

• Reply 25 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solowalker View Post

Though I will give you Street View. Apple has the technology for that so it could definitely be added later. Flyover has the potential to be more useful but having it available in so few cities at the moment significantly weakens its position.

Is there still a way to retain google maps as the default map app?

• Reply 26 of 150
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I'm just happy to deprive Google of my location data on a daily basis.

• Reply 27 of 150
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So long as what they are replacing it with is something equal or better (probably better) then there should be nobody upset with this decision.

Although, I wonder for those people who don't want the change, if they can retain Google Maps as default.  What would be great about that is Google can then step THEIR game up, and everyone else wins.

Good for Apple.  WTG

Unless Apple plans to dramatically change colors, make green text on green parks more readable, make details like small islands actually show up on the maps, add something equivalent to nationwide Street View, and enable walking directions within the next two months, then they are NOT replacing it with something better.

I pray that they do improve it before the final release or at least allow Google Maps as an alternative app.

• Reply 28 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Like, say Kindle App and iBooks for instance and countless other examples?

Oh, hang on, they don't.

Take your lie and shove it.

Does iBooks replace Kindle  completely?  I'm still a but unclear if Apple intends to reduce the customer's choice or simply add to it and make their own the default.  If someone doesn't want Apple's solution and is prevented from retaining how things are now, I don't see how what the guy said is false.

Also, is it good policy to simply view which apps are most successful and drive them out of the app store with their own version of things?  I wonder, if Google made a fart app that was the #1 sold app in the store, would Apple create one too?

• Reply 29 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I'm just happy to deprive Google of my location data on a daily basis.

You're singlehandedly undermining their entire business operation.  You keep at it, because the day google starts logging "John B"'s location is the day they become a global monopoly super power

;)

• Reply 30 of 150
    msqueenmsqueen Posts: 17member

I'm not liking the sound of this. I really like Google maps. I'm too sure in detail what Apple's maps app will include but I feel as tho they won't have as many views and options as Google

• Reply 31 of 150
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Apple has the money, power, influence, size and talent to go their own way. 

And they will, more and more, as much as possible. It's best to get comfy with that idea *now*.

• Reply 32 of 150
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Although, I wonder for those people who don't want the change, if they can retain Google Maps as default. 

Quote:

Is there still a way to retain google maps as the default map app?

I sincerely doubt it.

• Reply 33 of 150
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

It's a big deal in terms of iOS integration, but I think the moment that it's introduced, Google will simply have an app ready for the users.  They probably already have one developed and just waiting for put it on the App store.

Not really a big moment, but I think as Apple's offerings improve over time.. Google's will become irrelevant.  Of course, this means Google will really have to continue developing something substantial to entice mobile users to use its offerings.  So in the end, I suppose that's good, but Apple won't simply hand Google its users like it did in the past.

• Reply 34 of 150
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Does iBooks replace Kindle  completely?  I'm still a but unclear if Apple intends to reduce the customer's choice or simply add to it and make their own the default.  If someone doesn't want Apple's solution and is prevented from retaining how things are now, I don't see how what the guy said is false.

Also, is it good policy to simply view which apps are most successful and drive them out of the app store with their own version of things?  I wonder, if Google made a fart app that was the #1 sold app in the store, would Apple create one too?

No but Google made alternatives to Twitter, Facebook, web browsers and anything else that gets in their way of total domination of how people access anything web based which may bypass them.

• Reply 35 of 150
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    No street view and far less detailed maps make Apple's effort a massive downgrade. If google release a dedicated maps app, I can see it being the no.1 downloaded free app until the end of time. This is apple arrogance at it's very worst, degrading the user experience purely out of hatred for a competitor. Once word gets out just how bad Apple's maps are, it may also drive android sales even further ahead.
  • Reply 36 of 150
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Apple maps are certainly better looking than Google's are and I'm sure it's a great product, but I really think Apple is headed for a fall here.

No streetview is a problem.  A big problem.  No Transit information is another.  

Whether or not anyone here agrees, there are huge numbers of people that rely on streetview and they don't read the tech blogs.  When this thing launches without street view, I think there will be a lot of complaints, a lot of articles written about it, and therefore a lot of bad publicity. 

• Reply 37 of 150
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

There is more Yahoo than Google in iOS 6. I will miss Google Street View though.

As much as they have the stupidest name on the planet (it's actually spelled "Yahoo!"), I kind of like the services they are offering.  

I switched over one of my computers to Yahoo! for the default search engine and with the exception of the image search it's as good as or better than Google IMO.  If they spruced it up a bit, offered some options on search like showing image sizes and more sorting options it would be a no brainer to switch away from Google forever, and for everything.  

• Reply 38 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrr View Post

Google Street View !

I understand losing walking directions and transit directions is a problem, probably because I use them myself, but I don't get the appeal of Street View. What am I missing here? What do people use it for?

• Reply 39 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

No street view and far less detailed maps make Apple's effort a massive downgrade. If google release a dedicated maps app, I can see it being the no.1 downloaded free app until the end of time. This is apple arrogance at it's very worst, degrading the user experience purely out of hatred for a competitor. Once word gets out just how bad Apple's maps are, it may also drive android sales even further ahead.

I agree with you. I remember how Google Chrome was the #1 app for a while too, but this is even more extreme. I don't feel like Apple will let the old app stay on in the app store though... But there is a possibility (depending on how much control Apple has over actual map detail and how much control they give to Tom Tom and the like) that in iOS 7 Apple will improve map features and detail.

• Reply 40 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSwordBearer View Post

I understand losing walking directions and transit directions is a problem, probably because I use them myself, but I don't get the appeal of Street View. What am I missing here? What do people use it for?

To see what places look like...