Apple wants to wipe Google off the map with iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 41 of 150
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

They'll release their own app so you won't have to miss it.

Except there are some of us that are morally opposed to using Google's products.  

I'm okay with using their stuff licensed through a third party to strip out all the offending material but I won't use Google anything, "straight."  

• Reply 42 of 150
    pooch wrote: »
    two words: street view. walking directions.

Ummm, that's 4 words.... Awkward.
    freshmaker wrote: »
    Agreed, although I don't see them having traffic camera or speed limit info.  That might be a bit much to ask.  Looks like I just might be staying on iOS 5.  Apple makes wonderful operating systems, but a lot of their apps are subpar (Mail, Siri).  Keeping my expectations pretty low for this.

How can you say Siri is subpar? I also don't agree mail is subpar.
  • Reply 43 of 150
    macosxp wrote: »
    Why is it that on the Google Map, you can see a small island above the Lands End pin, but it's not displayed on the Apple map? And why is it that the small islands east of Point Lobos Avenue are simply displayed as a large triangle on the Apple maps? And why is it that the Presido Golf Course and Clubhouse text is almost unreadable on the Apple maps?
    Also ask why Google maps labels the equestrian stadium as the Golden Gate Park golf course, and doesn't even label the Lincoln Park golf course at all. People talk about Google maps like they are perfect, but I've been misdirected by them on several occasions, sometimes the things they mislabeled were off by miles. I'm not saying Apple will be perfect, but stop talking about Google maps as if they always get it right.
  • Reply 44 of 150

What will stop Google from adopting the Apple API if Apple lets others do it for free? Now Google needs to make its map operation even better in order to entice people on iOS devices to continue using Google Maps.

For Apple this is really just one step away from having its own search engine. If iOS 7 comes out with its own search engine then that would be a gigantic revenue boost for Apple. What percentage of web searches are now done on mobile devices? A year or so ago it was at 39%. That must be higher now. If Apple went into the search engine business on iOS devices and had a good search engine, they could severely ding the income stream of Google. One quarter of Google's income could be taken in one fell swoop if the default search engine were from Apple. With all of the data centers Apple is creating is it just a matter of time before it happens?

• Reply 45 of 150
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 140member

I will just add Google Maps and toss the iOS maps app into my "Maps" folder along the other GPS apps I keep on my iDevices.  Bottom line is I use what works best and IF the native app does great, but I don't see it happening.  Now if Apple blocks all 3rd party developers from using any other mapping app within their apps other than iOS maps Google could very well sue Apple over it.  I know its Apples OS and they can do what they want, but they can't if they are creating a monopoly within their OS just like MS was accused of doing within their OS for IE.

Again its what app works best, and not an Apple App only argument.

• Reply 46 of 150
    ronm88ronm88 Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

No street view and far less detailed maps make Apple's effort a massive downgrade. If google release a dedicated maps app, I can see it being the no.1 downloaded free app until the end of time. This is apple arrogance at it's very worst, degrading the user experience purely out of hatred for a competitor. Once word gets out just how bad Apple's maps are, it may also drive android sales even further ahead.

I'm willing to give Apple the benefit of the doubt for a little while (assuming they at least let Google Maps into the App store). I expect that this is Apple's first cut at mapping, and I expect them to put massive effort into catching up with / leapfrogging Google. There is also another benefit for iOS users (and maybe even Android users). Giving Google some competition in the mapping area is going to cause both Apple and Google to work hard at one-upping each other. This will benefit everyone (but especially iOS users where for whatever reason, Google's mapping offering has been pretty stale for a long time). For example, I bet that Google's stand-alone iOS app (assuming Apple lets it in the App store) will be much improved over what has been shipping with iOS (for example, I'm sure it will have turn by turn directions and maybe even the ability to store offline maps ... both of which have been on Android for a while).

• Reply 47 of 150
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No but Google made alternatives to Twitter, Facebook, web browsers and anything else that gets in their way of total domination of how people access anything web based which may bypass them.

Yeah but I'm talking about forcing out the competition.  I'm still unclear, because nobody knows for certain, whether the google maps app will be forced out in favor of the Apple app, and force customers to switch even if they don't want to.

For instance, Google comes with a default browser, but you can set any browser as the default browser.  If Apple makes ios6 come with their maps app by default, can someone make google maps default again?  If not, I don't see this as very smart on Apple's part at all.

• Reply 48 of 150
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Why is it that on the Google Map, you can see a small island above the Lands End pin, but it's not displayed on the Apple map? And why is it that the small islands east of Point Lobos Avenue are simply displayed as a large triangle on the Apple maps? And why is it that the Presido Golf Course and Clubhouse text is almost unreadable on the Apple maps?

>.<

Why do the Google map search results litter the screen with their spammy Sponsored Links?

• Reply 49 of 150
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

I'm actually far more excited about what 3rd party developers will do with the API than I am about the Maps app itself.  I see losing transit times etc. as a big deal, but I hold out some hope that by making this more accessible to smart people to develop their own apps, we could end up with some really cool options that exceed what the current Maps offer in terms of transit directions.

I don't think Street View will make that much difference to me - I rarely use it these days, now the novelty has worn off.

What I am looking forwards to is the tight Yelp integration.  If they could integrate OpenTable nicely as well, that would blow the current option out of the water for my use.

• Reply 50 of 150
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Any chance of Apple Maps as an app on the Mac?  Because plenty of people, myself included, use Google Maps on PC.  Pretty redundant to look at Google Maps on PC, then have to look again on the iPhone. 

• Reply 51 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Hmm, 

Apple has a majority of mobile devices? 

http://www.canalys.com/newsroom/stellar-growth-sees-china-take-27-global-smart-phone-shipments-powered-domestic-vendors

Isn't that Android has a majority of mobile devices?

I believe the article is including tablets in that statement.

The iPad,iPod, & iPhone combined puts Apple ahead for "Mobile devices" I believe.

• Reply 52 of 150
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Now if Apple blocks all 3rd party developers from using any other mapping app within their apps other than iOS maps Google could very well sue Apple over it.

Not really, no.

• Reply 53 of 150
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Yeah but I'm talking about forcing out the competition.  I'm still unclear, because nobody knows for certain, whether the google maps app will be forced out in favor of the Apple app, and force customers to switch even if they don't want to.

For instance, Google comes with a default browser, but you can set any browser as the default browser.  If Apple makes ios6 come with their maps app by default, can someone make google maps default again?  If not, I don't see this as very smart on Apple's part at all.

If Google Maps are that important to you, don't upgrade to iOS 6.  Easy peasy.

• Reply 54 of 150
    felipurfelipur Posts: 42member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

I have trepidations about this.  Apple's track record in software only projects (outside of OS) is spotty.  If the goal is to displace Google, the outcome will not be great.  This is a fundamental utility of a mobile device and Apple needs to be dedicated and passionate about delivering a great experience, and not just a means to oust Google Maps.

I doubt ousting Google is a goal at all, just a nice side effect. Mobile devices are inherently concerned with location and mapping is one of our primary ways of understanding location. I suspect Apple's move to replace Google maps isn't about a competitor, it's about Apple's ability to enhance and better integrate the use of location inside IOS and in apps. Relying on Google maps leaves Apple dependent on what Google wants to do with mapping and when Google wants to do it.  Apple is very, very much concerned with controlling anything it considers core to its business and location and maps is definitely one of those things.

• Reply 55 of 150

Sorry, a little OT, but I have an iphone 4, and I can't see how to get Google streetview in the standard Maps app.  Is there a secret gesture or something?

• Reply 56 of 150
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member

GREAT news! I don't  want that EVIL BIG BROTHER Google in anything on my iPhone! Screw that evil company. They can go and steal other people's info for all I care.

• Reply 57 of 150
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I understand losing walking directions and transit directions is a problem, probably because I use them myself, but I don't get the appeal of Street View. What am I missing here? What do people use it for?

I'm currently away from home and have used street view at least 25 times today to see what restaurants look like so I know what to look for. (and to gauge if they are in a good area). I'll also use it for many other locations too.

I do this a lot. Several times a month. Losing street view on my phone is cutting me off from about 50% of mapping functionality. To say it's a critical feature would be an understatement.
  • Reply 58 of 150
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Does iBooks replace Kindle  completely?  I'm still a but unclear if Apple intends to reduce the customer's choice or simply add to it and make their own the default.  If someone doesn't want Apple's solution and is prevented from retaining how things are now, I don't see how what the guy said is false.

Also, is it good policy to simply view which apps are most successful and drive them out of the app store with their own version of things?  I wonder, if Google made a fart app that was the #1 sold app in the store, would Apple create one too?

Here is the statement I was replying to:-

'Seems to pretty clearly violate the app store rule about doing the same thing 1st party apps do. "

So the relevance of your reply is???

• Reply 59 of 150
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    jimbo435 wrote: »
    Sorry, a little OT, but I have an iphone 4, and I can't see how to get Google streetview in the standard Maps app.  Is there a secret gesture or something?

Thank you! I'm baffled by all these comments about "losing" Street View. When did we ever have it??!

Now, transit and walking directions, on the other hand... grrr
  • Reply 60 of 150
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'm currently away from home and have used street view at least 25 times today to see what restaurants look like so I know what to look for. (and to gauge if they are in a good area). I'll also use it for many other locations too.

I do this a lot. Several times a month. Losing street view on my phone is cutting me off from about 50% of mapping functionality. To say it's a critical feature would be an understatement.

God, life is becoming boring.

Whatever happened to discovering things as you go along?