Apple wants to wipe Google off the map with iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 61 of 150
    felipurfelipur Posts: 42member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Thank you! I'm baffled by all these comments about "losing" Street View. When did we ever have it??!

Touch a pin. On the left is a little man in an orange circle.  Touch there and if street view is available, you get it.

• Reply 62 of 150

Quote:

Now, transit and walking directions, on the other hand... grrr

Exactly.  That has saved my butt more than once.

• Reply 63 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by felipur View Post

Touch a pin. On the left is a little man in an orange circle.  Touch there and if street view is available, you get it.

Well slap me sideways and call me Marsha!  Who knew.  Guess I am going to miss it now I know its there...

• Reply 64 of 150
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Really, people missing walking directions, come on are people that lame you can not figure out how to walk down the street to get from point A to B. Honestly, I can not believe how lazy people have gotten. It is so bad that people no longer know how to read a map and find there own way. Of better yet know now house numbers work and our most large cities are laid out in a grid street numbers increase on one direct and decrease in the other. I hope those who use walking direction always have a full battery because you will be lost when it runs out.

• Reply 65 of 150
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member

One this is clear: Apple maps will not be as good as Google maps at first. This is a huge new project for them, and apart from just the obvious missing features like walking directions and street view, there's the quality issue. Google has been tweaking this for years, you can't expect Apple to step in and get it right immediately.

I also agree with some of the other comments here that mapping is not necessarily a passion for Apple, and things that aren't passions tend to rot, or get spotty support.

• Reply 66 of 150

Its a map.

Give two weeks after release and no one will care in the slightest.

• Reply 67 of 150
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Thank you! I'm baffled by all these comments about "losing" Street View. When did we ever have it??!

Now, transit and walking directions, on the other hand... grrr

Click on the street view button on any pin, on any map.

On iOS devices it's even aware of the compass, and the street view will swivel around as you move your device around.  

• Reply 68 of 150
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member

Wish they could provide a choice like for the search..Google Maps or Apple Maps
  • Reply 69 of 150
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I understand losing walking directions and transit directions is a problem, probably because I use them myself, but I don't get the appeal of Street View. What am I missing here? What do people use it for?

- house hunting...
    - checking what a road junction I need to turn off looks like...
    - checking out the look of the area when booking a holiday let...
    - looking to see what a location truly looks like..
    - knowing what a friends house looks like before I start travelling
    - etc etc

Street View is what we as humans see, aerial view doesn't show the same level of detail and requires extra mental processing to turn into from the plan view to what we'll see. 'Id wager that as you aren't using it, that you're not a person who travels much or if you do it's the same locations.

I shalln't be upgrading to iOS 6 until there's a good reliable alternative to Apple's maps which offers Street View.
  • Reply 70 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronm88 View Post

Hopefully Apple continues to work on making their maps look better. Apple's maps in the US are decent, but in my opinion Google's maps are far better (in terms of readability and information provided). However, I was in Japan, and Apple's maps in Japan need a LOT of work. I'm not sure how other regions fare (being a European company, Tom-Tom maps are probably pretty good for Europe).

Hold on there, Buster.  Everything Apple does is to make the User Experience better.

Apple went to their own maps NOT to make money, but instead, to please their users.  Apple would NEVER do ANYTHING for profits - profits are a mere accidental by-product of producing the BEST USER EXPERIENCE.

So it simply CANNOT be true that Apple's maps are not as good as Google's.  Apple uses the BEST mapping available, because it loves each and every one of its users.

/s

• Reply 71 of 150
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Wish they could provide a choice like for the search..Google Maps or Apple Maps

That is not the Apple way. They do extensive research to know what you will like. No need to complicate things with choices.

• Reply 72 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

I also agree with some of the other comments here that mapping is not necessarily a passion for Apple, 

That cannot possibly be correct.  Apple focuses like a laser on its core strengths.  Mapping is a core product for Apple.  always has been.  They would never stray away from their core, and go into uncharted, unnecessary directions for any reason.  Never happens./s

• Reply 73 of 150
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member

I don't see the point of mentioning that Apple provides updates OS and android phone makers don't always update to the latest version OS with regards to maps.

the Maps application on android can be updated independently of OS. The oldest supported is 2.2. You don't need to be on ICS or Jellybean to get the maps update they put out few weeks ago.

The only caveat is that is has to be device that is officially licensed. 

• Reply 74 of 150
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What will stop Google from adopting the Apple API if Apple lets others do it for free? Now Google needs to make its map operation even better in order to entice people on iOS devices to continue using Google Maps.

For Apple this is really just one step away from having its own search engine. If iOS 7 comes out with its own search engine then that would be a gigantic revenue boost for Apple. What percentage of web searches are now done on mobile devices? A year or so ago it was at 39%. That must be higher now. If Apple went into the search engine business on iOS devices and had a good search engine, they could severely ding the income stream of Google. One quarter of Google's income could be taken in one fell swoop if the default search engine were from Apple. With all of the data centers Apple is creating is it just a matter of time before it happens?

Google wouldn't adopt Apple's map API as it would drive traffic away from their properties.  I also don't think Apple will ever create their own search engine as the only real upside to it is revenue and Apple doesn't care about revenue in and of itself.  

An interesting thought occurs to me (and I hope it occurs to Marissa Meyer as well), that it would certainly be in Apple's interest to form a close partnership with a "second line" search provider like Yahoo!. With a bit of sprucing and rebranding, and a lot of solid hooks into the rising iOS juggernaut, Yahoo! could topple Google from their top spot in search.  

Apple also has what Yahoo! needs. The only thing Yahoo! is sorely missing is any idea of taste, beauty, usability etc. which are all the things that Apple excels at.  Personally I'd love to see Marissa stick it to her old bosses.  

• Reply 75 of 150
    misamisa Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniMoe View Post

Now if they'll block *doubleclick* *admob* *adword* *adsense* and *invitemedia* in the new iOS6 privacy feature, I'll be happier. Let me add Adblock and/or Ghostery and I'll be very happy.

Won't happen. If you want an ad-free experience, please continue to deprive revenue of the services you use on your the desktop. The iPhone and iPad are content devices first.

This change came about because of Google's conflict with Apple. Had Google simply kept Android as the RIM knockoff it was, this probably would have happened later.

For example. Which mapping product do I use on my Nokia phone that's as old as the first generation iPhone? Google... Google's the only one still making apps that work on Nokia's. Nokia's own mapping product ties to upsell you to do navigation where the google one does not. However, if I'm in the middle of nowhere, with no data service, I use the Nokia maps, because they're actually saved to the phone as they're downloaded.

On the iPad, the existing maps are not useable if there is no internet, and Siri likewise isn't useable. Last time I checked, the earth is mostly covered with water and mountains, not flat land. If you're out at sea, in an airplane, or mountain climibing, you're not going to get anything useful out of these services, and you're not going to pay 8 cents per 15 seconds to download using globalstar. But these are the minority of people, and the few that would care are seniors on a cruise.

• Reply 76 of 150
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    The Apple imagery is certainly not as clear and instantly readable as that shown for Google.

Some will argue "that's detail" and I'll agree - the devil is in these details.

Personally I think that Apple should not preclude a Maps application from Google on iOS 6. although TOS might allow then to do so. Have both there and see how they do.
  • Reply 77 of 150
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Harumff. The "seniors on a cruise" does not go down well.

Before traveling in Germany last Fall, I deliberately downloaded off-line maps to my iPad so I could navigate without needing a cell connection.

I guess we seniors have more foresight than the young'uns
  • Reply 78 of 150

I thought Apple's only really choice for a native turn-by-turn navigation maps app was to create their own. Google doesn't allow anyone else to my knowledge to create turn-by-turn nav using their proprietary maps and Google certainly wasn't going to allow the maps app on the iPhone to get nav. This was Apple's only choice to get native, free maps with nav on the iPhone.

Maybe if Google releases a Google Maps app in the App Store (which they'd be stupid not to), they'll put nav in it as well.

Navigation has been an embarrassing missing feature for the iPhone and it was about time Apple did something about it. Just because it happens to coincide with the iOS vs. Android competition (which it really doesn't because this battle has been going on since 2009 or earlier), doesn't mean Apple is trying to be anticompetitive.

What I think it truly interesting is the way Apple is approaching Maps. They are turning it into it's own mini app store essentially. Public APIs that can tie into custom third-party apps (read: personal map upgrades), that's what's really exciting and it encourages and promotes new markets, competition, and features! I don't think people really understand what protential this has. This could be the next big "App Store" revolution, and Apple is getting in on the ground floor (again!).

• Reply 79 of 150
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

- house hunting...

- checking what a road junction I need to turn off looks like...

- checking out the look of the area when booking a holiday let...

- looking to see what a location truly looks like..

- knowing what a friends house looks like before I start travelling

- etc etc

Street View is what we as humans see, aerial view doesn't show the same level of detail and requires extra mental processing to turn into from the plan view to what we'll see. 'Id wager that as you aren't using it, that you're not a person who travels much or if you do it's the same locations.

I shalln't be upgrading to iOS 6 until there's a good reliable alternative to Apple's maps which offers Street View.

Think of how people managed in the thousands of years before we had these things.

If you were in 16th century Spain you would have been one of the one's calling Columbus crazy for wanting to go where there were no maps.

Here's to the crazy ones and boo to the lazy ones.

• Reply 80 of 150
    hawnzhawnz Posts: 7member
    I find Google Street View to be creepy. It just says stalker.