Apple wants to wipe Google off the map with iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 81 of 150
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    No street view? I won't be using Apple maps...when is that Google map app out?
  • Reply 82 of 150
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member

One nice thing on the Apple example above is that almost every street/avenue is labeled, whereas most aren't in the analogous Google screenshot. Maybe this changes as you zoom in, but generally speaking, I always want to see street names if it's possible without being so cluttered that it's unreadable. I'd gladly trade StreetView for street names--I use StreetView, but almost never on my phone. Also, if it loads faster, as some claim, that would also be a big plus.

• Reply 83 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

There is more Yahoo than Google in iOS 6. I will miss Google Street View though.

I'll miss it too, but I have to say that I more commonly use that feature on my iMac not when I'm portable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniMoe View Post

Now if they'll block *doubleclick* *admob* *adword* *adsense* and *invitemedia* in the new iOS6 privacy feature, I'll be happier. Let me add Adblock and/or Ghostery and I'll be very happy.

Wouldn't that be NICE!!  Remember, with Apple YOU are the CUSTOMER. With google YOU are the PRODUCT, the customer is the advertiser.

• Reply 84 of 150
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    sleepy3 wrote: »
    Well that remains to be seen. Seems to pretty clearly violate the app store rule about doing the same thing 1st party apps do. 

And besides, what's Apple's motivation to keep it in the store? They want to crush Google, not give them a lifeline. 

Apple wants to be in control of the technologies it relies on, but if a Google App adds non-critical functionality that helps them sell more iOS devices, they won't hesitate to allow it. I actually wish Apple would license Google street view for some period, until they have their own version.
  • Reply 85 of 150
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Why is it that on the Google Map, you can see a small island above the Lands End pin, but it's not displayed on the Apple map? And why is it that the small islands east of Point Lobos Avenue are simply displayed as a large triangle on the Apple maps? And why is it that the Presido Golf Course and Clubhouse text is almost unreadable on the Apple maps?

>.<

Interesting observations. The 'small island' is actually some man made feature (see the satellite map), resembling an oil platform...

The small islands west of Cliff House are the "Seal Rocks"… not islands really, and a rather triangular feature, in fact...

I tried a few map services, just to see who does what… on both Bing maps and Mapquest the Seal Rocks are missing completely… 

In Mapmaking there is a very clear 'stylistic' and design approach that is typical and normal. Mapmakers traditionally develop their own 'style' for their maps… I think it'll take a bit of time for Apple to settle into their groove. I look forward to it, since what I'm seeing as iteration 1.0 looks pretty solid for a starting point.

This style is in addition to maintaining accuracy and clarity. They can take some liberties in how they represent features… what to include in the details, etc.

Frankly, I'm really used to the Google maps style (and I intensely dislike Bing maps for some reason)… mapquest has certainly improved over the years, but is still not my favorite. I'm sure it'll take some adjustment period to get used to the new maps… I want to give them some due before deciding what I prefer...

In any case, here's hoping Apple can do a bang up job with the new mapping services…! 

• Reply 86 of 150
    sipsip Posts: 210member

What I want is an Apple Maps app for Mac OS X all tied up in iCloud and appearing on all my devices -- just like Safari Tabs in iOS6 & Mountain Lion will work.

• Reply 87 of 150
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I tried a few map services, just to see who does what… on both Bing maps and Mapquest the Seal Rocks are missing completely… 

In Mapmaking there is a very clear 'stylistic' and design approach that is typical and normal. Mapmakers traditionally develop their own 'style' for their maps… I think it'll take a bit of time for Apple to settle into their groove. I look forward to it, since what I'm seeing as iteration 1.0 looks pretty solid for a starting point.

This style is in addition to maintaining accuracy and clarity. They can take some liberties in how they represent features… what to include in the details, etc

Is Apple creating these maps or using them as supplied by TeleAtlas (Tomtom) or DMTI or whoever they're sourcing for particular regions? Perhaps someone with the Tomtom app and access to the beta Apple Maps could check a couple of US or Canada areas to see if they match.

• Reply 88 of 150

For the last time, people. WALKING DIRECTIONS ARE NOT GONE!!!!!! Where is this garbage information coming from??

EDIT: Here's another one. Apple's map servers were struggling for a bit, throwing errors so I couldn't actually route at the time.

• Reply 89 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Think of how people managed in the thousands of years before we had these things.

If you were in 16th century Spain you would have been one of the one's calling Columbus crazy for wanting to go where there were no maps.

Here's to the crazy ones and boo to the lazy ones.

This might be the stupidest thing I've read on AI, and that's saying a lot. You could apply your same argument to literally every single feature of iOS. We got by fine before smartphones, so who needs them?

• Reply 90 of 150

"Additionally, Microsoft just skates to where the puck is."

I stopped reading there. No chance of mistaking this infantile bilge for actual tech journalism, is there?

• Reply 91 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Is Apple creating these maps or using them as supplied by TeleAtlas (Tomtom) or DMTI or whoever they're sourcing for particular regions? Perhaps someone with the Tomtom app and access to the beta Apple Maps could check a couple of US or Canada areas to see if they match.

Apple's map data is being drawn from a very wide range of sources, including TomTom and OpenStreetMap. Check this out:

http://gspsa21.ls.apple.com/html/attribution.html

Their map skin is their own, though. They have control over how it looks, though they may not own the data.

• Reply 92 of 150

Quote:

They're using OpenStreeMaps http://www.openstreetmap.org/, an "open source" map. It's a combination of public records, donated maps, and user submitted info (think wikipedia). Pretty cool concept, actually.

I'm torn. I'm a fan of Open Source projects, but Google Maps has a lot of great features.

• Reply 93 of 150
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solowalker View Post

Apple's map data is being drawn from a very wide range of sources, including TomTom and OpenStreetMap. Check this out:

http://gspsa21.ls.apple.com/html/attribution.html

Their map skin is their own, though. They have control over how it looks, though they may not own the data.

I was aware of all the sources, but they're not being combined for a specific region AFAIK. In other words I didn't think they were taking aTeleAtlas mapset for New York and overlaying OSM on top. That sounds problematic with the possibility of conflicting road geometries and classifications which could severely affect proper routing. I could be wrong but I don't believe so. 

• Reply 94 of 150
    timusca wrote: »
    They'll release their own app so you won't have to miss it.

not sure if you're following, Tim. as far as we know, iOS 6 maps don't have a replacement for street view at all. the new flyover' feature's nice and all, but that doesn't help us see what a destination or neighborhood looks like on the ground.

unless apple has a surprise replacement specifically for streetview, a lot of folks are going to be disappointed by the loss of functionality.
  • Reply 95 of 150

Quote:

I was aware of all the sources, but they're not being combined for a specific region AFAIK. In other words I didn't think they were taking aTeleAtlas mapset for New York and overlaying OSM on top. That sounds problematic. I could be wrong. 

No, they're probably not combining multiple sources, just picking what they feel is the best source for the region (and probably using OpenStreetMap for the rest). I would assume that since TomTom's involvement is so prominently displayed both in the UI and in legal, they're providing the majority of the map data.

• Reply 96 of 150

The irony in Google's "Don't Be Evil" motto is grand.

• Reply 97 of 150

I imagine Google will have their Maps app ready to be submitted when Apple opens up the App Store for iOS 6 submissions. They've had enough notice that Apple is switching and imagine it's a priority to have it ready. So for everyone that relies on StreetView, you'll be able to download Google Maps and use that.

However, losing the ties via the API may not make things as convenient if you want to use it. Tap an address and it opens Apple's Maps. I don't imagine they'll give you a way to change this default, just as they don't give you a way to change the default web browser from Safari to something else (but you can certainly install other browsers). Eventually people will get used to this and use Google Maps less and less unless there's a very compelling reason to consciously make sure to use it.

Apple won't block the Google Maps app. I don't see how they could and leave other mapping apps such as TomTom and Navigon in the App Store.

My two cents.

• Reply 98 of 150
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

I thought Apple's only really choice for a native turn-by-turn navigation maps app was to create their own. Google doesn't allow anyone else to my knowledge to create turn-by-turn nav using their proprietary maps and Google certainly wasn't going to allow the maps app on the iPhone to get nav. This was Apple's only choice to get native, free maps with nav on the iPhone.

Maybe if Google releases a Google Maps app in the App Store (which they'd be stupid not to), they'll put nav in it as well.

Navigation has been an embarrassing missing feature for the iPhone and it was about time Apple did something about it. Just because it happens to coincide with the iOS vs. Android competition (which it really doesn't because this battle has been going on since 2009 or earlier), doesn't mean Apple is trying to be anticompetitive.

What I think it truly interesting is the way Apple is approaching Maps. They are turning it into it's own mini app store essentially. Public APIs that can tie into custom third-party apps (read: personal map upgrades), that's what's really exciting and it encourages and promotes new markets, competition, and features! I don't think people really understand what protential this has. This could be the next big "App Store" revolution, and Apple is getting in on the ground floor (again!).

Tom Tom do turn by turn navigation on iOS, if I'm not mistaken.

• Reply 99 of 150
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

If street view is that important and Google wont license maybe Navteq (Nokia) will or perhaps they can get it via Bing Maps or Yahoo.

Bing/Yahoo may insist that they become the default search engine though.  Or Apple can offer $12B to Nokia for Navteq and Nokia will make a few billion off the sale (paid $8.1B) and double their cash on hand...which if they don't want to sell themselves to MS is a decent deal.

Here's the streetside schedule:

http://www.microsoft.com/maps/en-GB/streetside-schedule.aspx

If they can license the street slide implementation from MS it'll actually be far more usable than Street View:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/kopf/street_slide/

Two years old and still pretty cool.  I wonder if it's in Bing Maps yet.  Pretty danged stupid if it isn't.  Works on the iPhone...heh.

What's with the trolls?  Apple maps have to do x, y and z or you wont update to iOS 6?  Lack of streetview will make folks move to Android?  That's pretty damn transparent.

• Reply 100 of 150
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Tom Tom do turn by turn navigation on iOS, if I'm not mistaken.

Tom Tom uses their own maps and not the Google ones...that Google itself licenses pieces from Tele-Atlas and others. Google's TOS for the maps API appear to prohibit Apple from doing turn by turn. Probably they weren't bending over backwards for Apple to renegotiate the TOS.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/ask-ars-why-did-apple-have-to-ditch-google-to-add-turn-by-turn-nav/

I could see Apple buying Tom-Tom but I would have expected them to have already done so if they intended to.