Apple wants to wipe Google off the map with iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 101 of 150
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Why is it that on the Google Map, you can see a small island above the Lands End pin, but it's not displayed on the Apple map? And why is it that the small islands east of Point Lobos Avenue are simply displayed as a large triangle on the Apple maps? And why is it that the Presido Golf Course and Clubhouse text is almost unreadable on the Apple maps?

>.<

The "small island" north of Lands End is a light house poking out of the water that nobody can actually visit: Mile Rock. http://www.flickr.com/photos/schuberts/238099360/

The small islands east of Point Lobos are the Farallon Islands, which are chunks of rock covered in bird poop. They are actually also off limits to the public (wildlife refuge), and far further from the coast than they appear in either map. The only reason for putting them on the map would be to indicate that there are bits of land one can see from the Cliff House. Both Google's and Apple's maps depict them as larger and closer to land than they actually are, just as a point of reference. 

The actual Presido labels are much easier to read on the iPad than they appear in this graphic, which has been scaled down to fit the article. Remember that the iPad has a Retina Display. The text has a white background shadow that makes it pop from the background, which isn't really visible in this scaled down screenshot.

• Reply 102 of 150
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

If street view is that important and Google wont license maybe Navteq (Nokia) will or perhaps they can get it via Bing Maps or Yahoo.

Bing/Yahoo may insist that they become the default search engine though.  Or Apple can offer $12B to Nokia for Navteq and Nokia will make a few billion off the sale (paid $8.1B) and double their cash on hand...which if they don't want to sell themselves to MS is a decent deal.

Here's the streetside schedule:

http://www.microsoft.com/maps/en-GB/streetside-schedule.aspx

If they can license the street slide implementation from MS it'll actually be far more usable than Street View:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/kopf/street_slide/

Two years old and still pretty cool.  I wonder if it's in Bing Maps yet.  Pretty danged stupid if it isn't.  Works on the iPhone...heh.

What's with the trolls?  Apple maps have to do x, y and z or you wont update to iOS 6?  Lack of streetview will make folks move to Android?  That's pretty damn transparent.

Microsoft is dropping Bing maps in favor of Nokia/Navteq mapping for WinMo8

• Reply 103 of 150

Quote:

If street view is that important and Google wont license maybe Navteq (Nokia) will or perhaps they can get it via Bing Maps or Yahoo.

Bing/Yahoo may insist that they become the default search engine though.  Or Apple can offer $12B to Nokia for Navteq and Nokia will make a few billion off the sale (paid $8.1B) and double their cash on hand...which if they don't want to sell themselves to MS is a decent deal.

Here's the streetside schedule:

http://www.microsoft.com/maps/en-GB/streetside-schedule.aspx

If they can license the street slide implementation from MS it'll actually be far more usable than Street View:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/kopf/street_slide/

Two years old and still pretty cool.  I wonder if it's in Bing Maps yet.  Pretty danged stupid if it isn't.  Works on the iPhone...heh.

What's with the trolls?  Apple maps have to do x, y and z or you wont update to iOS 6?  Lack of streetview will make folks move to Android?  That's pretty damn transparent.

As interesting as that Street Slide is, Apple already owns a bunch of street view stuff. Would they need to buy more?

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/07/c3-technologies-3d-maps-also-offer-street-views-and-interior-views/

• Reply 104 of 150
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What will stop Google from adopting the Apple API if Apple lets others do it for free?

Nothing. But why would a Google maps application use maps developed by Apple?

Now Google needs to make its map operation even better in order to entice people on iOS devices to continue using Google Maps.

If Apple is not using Google maps, then Google will need to have a Maps app int eh store, people will need to download it and use it specifically. Likely the Apple API will only use Apple maps so using any app to then open a maps will open the Apple map.

For Apple this is really just one step away from having its own search engine. If iOS 7 comes out with its own search engine

iOS 7 will not have a internet search engine.

An internet search engine is not part of an OS. Apple could develop a search engine and add something in the OS/web browser to use it.

• Reply 105 of 150
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Microsoft is dropping Bing maps in favor of Nokia/Navteq mapping for WinMo8

Bing maps has always used quite a bit of map data from NavTeq as well as TeleAtlas/TomTom and others.  Given that Nokia is their primo WinPhone partner this wasn't surprising.

TeleAtlas/TomTom has a bunch of streetview cars out there now but nary a word about actual streetview availability.  I'm guessing the data's not massaged enough yet for Apple to include and Apple has paid for secrecy.

I dunno...TomTom strikes me as pretty screwed.  Maybe Apple will buy them out but probably they aren't ready to sell yet.

• Reply 106 of 150
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solowalker View Post

As interesting as that Street Slide is, Apple already owns a bunch of street view stuff. Would they need to buy more?

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/07/c3-technologies-3d-maps-also-offer-street-views-and-interior-views/

If the research and solution is original I'd assume that MSR has a patent winding it's way through the UPTO.  It's a navigation capability and not a rendering capability.

• Reply 107 of 150
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Why do the Google map search results litter the screen with their spammy Sponsored Links?

Exactly. The ads are just incredibly annoying. I've had the stupid 'sponsored links' cover up real results on several occasions making it difficult to tap on real search results. I think I'll be happier with maps that give turn-by-turn directions, look better, and aren't jammed full of ad-spam crap.

Oh, and Google: Steve says thanks for stealing the look and feel of Apple's OS and partnering with companies that have stolen the design of its devices. First mushroom cloud will be rising soon when mapping revenue disappears. Clearly if Siri can move forwards, the days of people defaulting to a Google search on iOS may be numbered as well. Payback is a b*tch.

• Reply 108 of 150
    minimoe wrote: »
    Now if they'll block *doubleclick* *admob* *adword* *adsense* and *invitemedia* in the new iOS6 privacy feature, I'll be happier. Let me add Adblock and/or Ghostery and I'll be very happy.

In most cases if you don't want ads, pay for software.
  • Reply 109 of 150
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Bing maps has always used quite a bit of map data from NavTeq as well as TeleAtlas/TomTom and others.  Given that Nokia is their primo WinPhone partner this wasn't surprising.

TeleAtlas/TomTom has a bunch of streetview cars out there now but nary a word about actual streetview availability.  I'm guessing the data's not massaged enough yet for Apple to include and Apple has paid for secrecy.

I dunno...TomTom strikes me as pretty screwed.  Maybe Apple will buy them out but probably they aren't ready to sell yet.

Those TeleAtlas cars aren't doing "streetview" work. They're simply to make mapping and routing more accurate by making note of actual intersections and/or roadway details including signs and any other road markings. They have no plans for any publicly available "Streetview" similar to Google.

• Reply 110 of 150
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Unless Apple plans to dramatically change colors, make green text on green parks more readable, make details like small islands actually show up on the maps, add something equivalent to nationwide Street View, and enable walking directions within the next two months, then they are NOT replacing it with something better.

I pray that they do improve it before the final release or at least allow Google Maps as an alternative app.

There's no question of Apple "allowing" Google Maps as an alternative app. It's up to Google to develop one and put it in the app store.

• Reply 111 of 150
    enatureenature Posts: 77member

I will believe with when I see it. Dethroning Google is not easy, especially at its own game. Google Maps are functional, fast, informative and they reside on the highly reliable and time-tested proprietary Google servers. 

Apple, on the other hand, has always sucked at syncing (iDisk anyone?) and its recent iCloud offerrings are still subpar. One thing that Apple is the king at - consumer hardware - has very little do to with map implementation per se.

So I see Apple's foray into maps as overly ambitions and think that the statements such as Apple is going to “push Google quite literally off the map” as premature. 

In fact, by pushing its own map service, Apple risks to frustrate its customers who are used to the already excellent and reliable Google Maps. 

• Reply 112 of 150
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Well that remains to be seen. Seems to pretty clearly violate the app store rule about doing the same thing 1st party apps do. 

And besides, what's Apple's motivation to keep it in the store? They want to crush Google, not give them a lifeline. 

If there were a rule against apps doing the same thing 1st party apps do, Apple would have kicked out every stock market app, every texting app, and most important, every mapping app among others. There are tons of 3rd party mapping apps. 

If Google puts together an app for the app store, I see no reason why Apple wouldn't allow it.

• Reply 113 of 150

I can't figure out how this doesn't break every anti-competitive rule out there. How does MS get bent over every barrel in Europe but Apple gets a free pass?

• Reply 114 of 150
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I can't figure out how this doesn't break every anti-competitive rule out there. How does MS get bent over every barrel in Europe but Apple gets a free pass?

Obviously because Microsoft was a monopoly and Apple is not.

Next question?
    not sure if you're following, Tim. as far as we know, iOS 6 maps don't have a replacement for street view at all. the new flyover' feature's nice and all, but that doesn't help us see what a destination or neighborhood looks like on the ground.
    unless apple has a surprise replacement specifically for streetview, a lot of folks are going to be disappointed by the loss of functionality.

And those folks are free to not use Apple Maps.

Personally, I can't see what the excitement is about Street View. Are you really so incompetent that you can't read a GPS screen and see where you are?
  • Reply 115 of 150
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Clearly if Siri can move forwards, the days of people defaulting to a Google search on iOS may be numbered as well.

Assuming they remove and get a replacement for Google in Siri searches.
  • Reply 116 of 150
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

It's simple. MS has a history of anti-competitive behavior that extend into convictions. That said, what MS has been facing in recent years is complete bullocks , especially now with their browser tie-in of IE on Win8 RT.

Apple has no monopoly or conviction at this point in which to pursue legal action. They don't even have the leading marketshare of installed mobile OSes on smartphones. At some point I hope Apple does allow you to change the links and other actions are directed to a default apps the way you can with Mail, Safari, Image Capture, Preview for emails, webpages, photos, and PDFs, respectively.

If you are going to accuse Apple of such things at least make a case as to how they have a monopoly to abuse.
  • Reply 117 of 150
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member

What is this Google that you speak of?

• Reply 118 of 150
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilboteabagins View Post

Because Microsoft had a monopoly on the desktop but Apple doesn't have a monopoly in mobile.

And up to now, Google has had a monopoly on mobile maps.

• Reply 119 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post

There's no question of Apple "allowing" Google Maps as an alternative app. It's up to Google to develop one and put it in the app store.

It is not always as simple as that.  Apple has held up approval of Google software in the past.   

• Reply 120 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Tom Tom do turn by turn navigation on iOS, if I'm not mistaken.

As does MapQuest.