Get Most Recent PodCasts...?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Howdy,

I have iTunes Podcasts Preferences set to "Download the most recent one" and "keep the last 2 episodes."

But, when I look at my list of podcasts, I see many that date from the Truman administration (even though I am certain that there are many more recent episodes available.)

When new episodes are availabe, I want iTunes to get them, and then delete old podcasts whether or not I have listened to them.

How can I get iTunes to work in that way?

Sincere thanks,

Kenneth

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    How often do you have iTunes to check for new podcasts?

Is your system clock set correctly? What is the date in the Date Added column? Is it the correct date?

Is the date from the Truman Administration the Release Date or the Date Added date?

If it is the release date, and assuming that you found the podcast via the iTunes Store, look up the podcast in the store and see what it shows as the release date. There is a possibility that the podcast producer isn't filling in a release date and iTunes is show the time zero date.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I have always thought Apple had a bug with this too.

There are PodCasts that iTunes doesn't pick up. I have to manually "get" the episode.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

How often do you have iTunes to check for new podcasts?

Is your system clock set correctly? What is the date in the Date Added column? Is it the correct date?

Is the date from the Truman Administration the Release Date or the Date Added date?

If it is the release date, and assuming that you found the podcast via the iTunes Store, look up the podcast in the store and see what it shows as the release date. There is a possibility that the podcast producer isn't filling in a release date and iTunes is show the time zero date.

Howdy,

New podcasts are check for every hour... and the system clock is correct.

The early dates (and the "Truman administration" comment was meant figuratively) are release dates, and some are months old even though there have been several newer podcasts since that date.

I believe that the problem might relate to the fact that some of the older podcasts have the "blue dot" indicating that I have not listened to them. It appears that iTunes sees that, and, as a result, fails to download anything newer.

Might you have any furhter thoughts?

Sincere thanks,

Kenneth
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I have always thought Apple had a bug with this too.

There are PodCasts that iTunes doesn't pick up. I have to manually "get" the episode.

Hello again,

It is funny... I just assumed that the problem was mine in that I did not fully understand the settings.

Now, I do suspect that it is a bug:

I just selected all of my podcasts, and manually updated. With that iTunes downloaded 48 of them.

It is no great hardship to do it manually, but it does seem odd that it is necessary.

All the best,

Kenneth
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A. C. Fairbanks View Post

I believe that the problem might relate to the fact that some of the older podcasts have the "blue dot" indicating that I have not listened to them. It appears that iTunes sees that, and, as a result, fails to download anything newer.

That hasn't been my experience. I have several unheard podcasts, some even years old, that are still being updated. So its not a generic problem.

However.... If you haven't listened to a particular podcast for awhile iTunes will pop up a dialog box stating that you haven't played that podcast for awhile and asks if you want to continue updating that podcast or not. I have always clicked the option that says to continue downloading the podcast. Could either you or Dave have clicked the option that says to stop downloading new episodes?

The only time I have to manually Get individual episodes is when I add podcasts to my library. I which case iTunes will download the most recent podcast and give me the option to download past podcasts.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Howdy,

I had some that were months old, and had not been listened to, but I have never seen the dialog asking if I want to continue to update.

All the best,

Kenneth
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Hmm... I see it all the time. And if yours are months old, you should be seeing (or had seen) it by now. As I have never said to stop updating I cannot say that your responses is what should be expected.

I suspect that iTunes is configured to not update these podcasts as if the dialog box has been answered to stop updating. Unfortunately I do not know where that setting is, or how to check and change that setting.
  • Reply 8 of 9

I select all and apply for my podcasts and the system still won't update with the most recent podcast- between this and Squeezebox not finding my IP address, 

I wonder why I even bother trying to listen to audio from the computer.  Does anyone know how Apple is at fault so I can correct what is obviously their bug.  Or is their no solution.  

• Reply 9 of 9

I select all and update and nothing happens. Between this and the no IP Address found for my Squeezebox boom I am unable to listen to my audio and don't know why I bother.  Does anyone know what the bug is from Apple and if I can fix it?  I just want a company in the 2000s to own up about these things since in the past I never ever had any major problems with using product and now for one I quickly got holes in the back of my new dishwasher that has never cleaned dishes correctly.  Everyone else please bang your monkey as aggresively as possible and boycott with your pocketbook  These are the key means for us to overcome this sticking the finger in our face.  If you want an example of how far down things have gone in many cases in terms of concrete criteria provided for us then take a trip to Austin, TX and see a Classic film at the Paramount Theater on Congress.  You will note how much worse the experience is now in our current theaters.  Now if I can just get Apple to do the right thing with the itunes and ipod.  We can send a man to the moon but we can't update an iPod correctly?  I don't think so...