Video describes iPhone 5 face as longer, thinner and more scratch resistant

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Stop.

Stop what exactly, calling it the iPhone 5? Are you serious? Aside from tech geeks, everyone calls it that. You may not like it and it may be the 6th generation iPhone, but to argue that this term didn't clearly win out is rather silly. I agree the next version will simply be called the new "iPhone" just like iPad. But you know what, everyone still calls it the iPad 3 regardless of what Apple decided and so they will with the next iPhone. And considering all the slings and arrows you toss around in this forum, to warn someone about using the term iPhone 5 seems pretty petty. 

• Reply 42 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Stop what exactly, calling it the iPhone 5?

Stop doing it for the purpose of doing it, which is what that post was. It's counterproductive to your message. And you'll just have to give up doing it when the actual device is released, so it's best to start early. 

• Reply 43 of 57
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Stop doing it for the purpose of doing it, which is what that post was. It's counterproductive to your message. And you'll just have to give up doing it when the actual device is released, so it's best to start early. 

I won't have to give up anything, anymore than most people calling their new iPad the iPad 3 have given it up to easily differentiate between the three models. On TV John Stewart, wolf Blitzer, even Apple fanatic Stephen Colbert routinely call it the iPhone 5 because everyone immediately know what they mean and the same goes for print journalism. For clarity of meaning as well as brevity, there is no other term that comes close. Apple may make the phone and call it whatever they like, but they don't care about the discourse or popular nomenclature . They only care if people buy it or not. So please call it the iPhone 6, the new iPhone, the next iPhone revision, the 2012 iPhone or whatever you like and I promise you it won't bother me in the least. Language is just a means to get thoughts and ideas across to other people and there are many ways to express those thoughts. 

• Reply 44 of 57
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I assume Apple will not include a stretch feature to anything. I'm also guessing that "good" apps, meaning apps that followed Apple's guidelines, will resolve fine as they should just be showing more data on screen.
    Of course Apple won't. But that won't stop people like my mother from not buying it because of the black bars.

But maybe I'm misinformed ... Are you saying developers have been planning for a 16:9 retina display since the beginning, just in case Apple developed a wider aspect ratio, so all the existing apps will just suddenly fill up the entire screen?

Actually if Apple did anything, I would imagine they'd offer a way to wallpaper the black bars on apps that didn't fill the entire space. That would satisfy my mom. Nothing gets her riled-up like black bars surrounding her picture on her TV!
  • Reply 45 of 57

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

On TV…  …everyone immediately know what they mean and the same goes for print journalism.

But they'll just switch to the real name when it's released.

For clarity of meaning as well as brevity, there is no other term that comes close.

"iPhone 6" comes closer. A lot closer. "iPhone 6", unlike "iPhone 5" is actually THE RIGHT TERM, even though it is equally unlikely to be used.

Apple may make the phone and call it whatever they like, but they don't care about the discourse or popular nomenclature.

Except for this part:

Originally posted by The Wall Street Journal:

Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of world-wide marketing, simply said that Apple broke from the convention "because we don't want to be predictable."

Language is just a means to get thoughts and ideas across to other people and there are many ways to express those thoughts. 

With more of those ways being incorrect and muddling than not.

• Reply 46 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    But maybe I'm misinformed ... Are you saying developers have been planning for a 16:9 retina display since the beginning, just in case Apple developed a wider aspect ratio, so all the existing apps will just suddenly fill up the entire screen?
    Actually if Apple did anything, I would imagine they'd offer a way to wallpaper the black bars on apps that didn't fill the entire space. That would satisfy my mom. Nothing gets her riled-up like black bars surrounding her picture on her TV!

Open up Mail or Safari on the iPhone or Touch. Now rotate the orientation 90°. The width and height will adjust to fit the relative width and height. If the developers have standard app developers have done their coding properly their UI elements should adjust regardless of the resolution used.

The only real caveat I see are from game developers who obviously don't use the UI APIs in xCode. Those would then get the bars until those devs can adjust the app accordingly, if ever, but I doubt that will be too much of issue for our mothers. For example, I imagine WwF would have the bars but would probably be adjusted with more data of the game but the tiles would still be the same size.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Hmm, 4-inch screen.....where have i seen that before? On an andr....nah, couldn't be that, Apple would never follow them. 

• Reply 48 of 57
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member

what's funny is that Microsoft calls there's Windows 8 when it's actually version 7 of their OS, so why couldn't it be iPhone 5?  But I am sure it'll be just The New iPhone.  

• Reply 49 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

You're probably in the minority of consumers that want a relatively thick phone in favor of a bigger battery.

The 4S is one of the thicker phones now, so I would hope Apple would for the sake of their legacy of "thinness" and beauty make the phone a bit thinner.

They can use the same battery and the savings they get from the new screen tech and the low power efficient A6 could go to powering the hungry LTE chips, all while the phone shrink a millimeter or 2.

Really the LTE chips are 28 nm now, not so power hungry and the battery could be made from liquid metal.

• Reply 50 of 57

Originally Posted by Eric Litvin View Post

…the battery could be made from liquid metal.

Wait, what? No… right? That's not… possible?

• Reply 51 of 57
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

I am getting more worried day by day. That 4" iPhone just looks Fugly. ( I just learned this word ) If they do, just do a two handed devices. Or get rid of the Home button and use that space for the screen as well, That way we could do a  4.1 or 4.2 iPhone within the same size easily

I have a feeling many will be disappointed with iPhone 5.

• Reply 52 of 57

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

That 4" iPhone just looks… 

Looks exactly the same as the iPhone 4 and 4S.

If they do, just do a two handed devices.

Not sure what this sentence (?) says, but you can use it with one hand. That's probably the reason they're doing it this way.

Or get rid of the Home button and use that space for the screen as well… 

We always need a hardware 'out'.

I have a feeling many will be disappointed with the 6th iPhone.

Which was said about the iPhone 3GS. And iPhone 4. And iPhone 4S.

And yet each sold more than all its predecessors combined.

• Reply 53 of 57
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I am getting more worried day by day. That 4" iPhone just looks Fugly. ( I just learned this word ) If they do, just do a two handed devices. Or get rid of the Home button and use that space for the screen as well, That way we could do a  4.1 or 4.2 iPhone within the same size easily

I have a feeling many will be disappointed with iPhone 5.

Exactly my feelings. Actually they could fit even 4.5" into the existing case without having to make it long. I guess they could also fit 5" into the new long case if they used the same dimensions as the center back panel.

That would have been a gorgeous device and pretty much a killer of Android as we know it.

• Reply 54 of 57

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

That would have been a gorgeous device and pretty much a killer of Android as we know it.

The existing iPhone is already the killer of Android. Anything else is just icing.

If it wasn't, everyone else wouldn't be trying to copy it. You can't surpass something by making a half-hearted copy of it.

• Reply 55 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

Wait, what? No… right? That's not… possible?

Well, it would be a fuel cell, not technically a battery. Apple has a patent for "Current collector plates of bulk-solidifying amorphous alloys":

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7862957.html

Liquidmetal has several different alloys known as "bulk-solidifying amorphous alloys," at least one of which Apple has looked into for use in fuel cells. If you are interested, here is an article that gives a better explanation:

http://www.yalescientific.org/2012/03/nanowires-and-fuel-cells/

The alloy in that article is one of Liquidmetal's, as is seen in this patent:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7896982.html

Assigned to Crucible Intellectual Properties (a wholly owned subsidiary of Liquidmetal).

Some of their other alloys would make for suitable casings. 

• Reply 56 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Hmm, 4-inch screen.....where have i seen that before? On an andr....nah, couldn't be that, Apple would never follow them. 

Pretty soon history will be written as Apple makes the first 4 inch screen phone. lol

jokes aside, android does not have that same aspect ratio as far as I remember, so they are not copying anything. Still being unique in their own way

• Reply 57 of 57
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member
    The new iPhone has a 100 x more power efficient processor and 20 x better graphics processing unit built in by Imagination Technologies. It's either the Power VR Rougue 6 Series or the 5.5 Series, and I'm assuming it will be using a really effiecient lte chip that can handle Voice calling through data as well and facetime/skype and the new 4 inch screen size allows for more room for a larger battery, if you guys where wondering.. They used the Power VR 5 Series on their iPhone 4S, and the reason samsung is doing so well is because they currently have the 5.5 series in their galaxy s 3 devices. I hate Samsung...