How is mountain lion for you?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

I feel it is much better and much faster then lion ever was, I did a fresh install of lion last year on my early 2011 MacBook Pro (that came with snow leopard) And it was ridiculously slow, but this year I did a clean install and it just screams! What are your experiences with mountain lion? 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9

I've only had ML installed on my Mac Mini (mid 2011) for a few days and so far, everything's been great.  I haven't been able to perceive any big difference from Lion (what it came with) as yet.  Safari seems to be a bit snappier, but I'm betting after my RAM upgrade gets here (ordered this 8GB kit from newegg), the differences will be that much more acute.

I did have some slight initial concerns regarding Office 2011 compatibility, but MS came through at the last minute and everything is gravy (though to be fair, Word is the only program I use here - excel & outlook get the most use on my older MBP).

• Reply 2 of 9
    kedakeda Posts: 722member

I've been happy with the update on my '11 MBA, and use Notification Center more than I expected. 

Twice since the update, my machine has experienced some kind of wake-from-sleep problem.  When this has happened, the machine is unresponsive and doesn't wake.  Now that I'm aware of the problem, I am trying to pay more attention to see if I can gather any clues/info about what's going on.

• Reply 3 of 9
    Hey thanks for responding,to the poster directly above me did you do a clean install or upgrade? Because if it was upgraded mybe some old app files in library and application support are causing incomparability?
  • Reply 4 of 9

I'm digging Mountain Lion, it feels like it's responding faster.  And I've noticed on the Mac I use at work, I get a lot less beach balls when working on CS5 Illustrator and inDesign.   

• Reply 5 of 9
    kishankishan Posts: 732member

I have it installed on a Macbook Air 11inch late 2010 and a Mac Mini Mid 2011.  Going to try it today with a Macbook 5,1 (late 2008).  On the first two machines, I have not encountered any weird behavior except for the fact that on the Macbook, it will apparently not obey the command to open certain programs or folders at login.  I am troubleshooting and searching the interwebs without much success.  There must be something specific and weird to my configuration or the alignment of stars over my house!  I can't say that it's more snappy or anything, but I tend to run really clean systems that don't bog down too much over time.  Love the separation of reminders from calendar. Haven't tried dictation yet, but if it's like on my iPad and iPhone, I think it will satisfy.  Creaky old Office 2008 seems to work ok as does Photoshop Elements.  Handbrake too.  Need to try VMWare Fusion.  But if it doesn't work, I can live!

• Reply 6 of 9
    I'm digging Mountain Lion, it feels like it's responding faster.  And I've noticed on the Mac I use at work, I get a lot less beach balls when working on CS5 Illustrator and inDesign.   
    My thoughts exactly!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I am using ML for a week now and I am very much happy with it. It is a lot smooth.
    I experienced considerable difference in boot up speed. I have a MBA 13' with 128 GB SSD. It boots up in 5 to 6 seconds. With Lion it used to take 15 to 16 seconds. A 10 seconds slash down is really appreciable. Great work by Apple as usual!

But I think that scrolling in launchpad is not so smooth. In lion, it was smoother. Give your thoughts on this.

Thanks! :)
  • Reply 8 of 9

Yes, I have also noted increased performance in apps, especially safari. "safari feels snappier;)" 

• Reply 9 of 9
    gizmo-xlgizmo-xl Posts: 142member

eats my battery on my MBPR in about 4 hours other then that I like it.