OS X Mountain Lion users reporting laptop battery life issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

My Macbook has has a new lease of life. Fast as hell and almost zero fan (compared). Very pleased with Mountain Lion.

• Reply 22 of 71

My 2010 MBP is doing much better under Mountain Lion.  Very smooth, no significant problems. 

• Reply 23 of 71

I have a Mid 2009 13" MBP with an upgrade from Lion to 10.8 and I was surprised to see this thread because my battery life has marginally improved actually, lasts about 5-6 hours during a regular days work up from 4-5 on Lion.

• Reply 24 of 71

The first thing Mountain Lion does is reindex the whole hard drive.  On my very fast iMac that took over an hour of constant HD activity.  On a laptop THAT will kill your battery really quickly.  Will be interesting to see if these reports taper off for machines a few days after the upgrade.

• Reply 25 of 71

I can't find the steps in any link/URL to do a fresh install on my LION MBP.

Do you have one?

• Reply 26 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphdaily View Post

My 2010 MBP is doing much better under Mountain Lion.  Very smooth, no significant problems. 

Same here.  Definitely an upgrade over 10.7.  Seems to be a lot faster.

• Reply 27 of 71
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

This is surprising, I'm definitely getting BETTER battery life under ML. It's one of the 1st things I've noticed, that the battery indicator is always higher than I expect it to be. 

• Reply 28 of 71
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member

Did you try resetting your PRAM / SMC?  I had this issue occur on my MBA after an OS update and this resolved it.

• Reply 29 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHiavelli92 View Post

2008 MBP furiously heating up and fans goings nuts. Clean install of ML.

Generally MBP is faster, but heat and fan noise intolerable.

Battery life has never been any good on 2008 MBP. Had lots of new batteries. None have given more than a couple of hours.

Thanks for the telegram.

• Reply 30 of 71
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

Simple solution -- carry an extra couple spare charged batteries with you, and you will be alright! (I miss the PowerBook days)

• Reply 31 of 71

Early 2011 15" MBP battery life seems better. Boots faster, no heat issues here.

• Reply 32 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

OS X Mountain Lion launched last week, bringing with it over 200 201 new features...

Feature #201: Decreased battery life!

• Reply 33 of 71

Guys, make sure you disable PowerNap while on battery power. Otherwise your battery will drain during sleep because your Mac is downloading your Photostream, syncing your email, contacts, calendars, etc.

• Reply 34 of 71
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

There also seems to be some major WiFi issues as well with people running Mountain Lion. My friend just upgraded and uses his iMac to share out to his Aluminum MacBook and it almost never connects. If it does, it drops out and its a pain in the ass to connect. When it does connect, the network is very very slow or not working at all. Doing a google search shows a lot of people complaining about WiFi issues after installing Mountain Lion. I expect this to be a fixed in 10.8.1, hopefully arriving soon. 

• Reply 35 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

I did an in place upgrade as well but I may end up doing a full wipe and install later on to see if it does anything.

I always do a full wipe when installing a brand new OS anyways. I hate doing upgrades. They almost always screw something up and you end up reinstalling the whole OS anyways. I have the GM installed right now and are waiting for my SSD to arrive so I can install that into my MacMini before doing a full reinstall on the new SSD. 

• Reply 36 of 71
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    macxpress wrote: »
    I always do a full wipe when installing a brand new OS anyways. I hate doing upgrades. They almost always screw something up and you end up reinstalling the whole OS anyways. I have the GM installed right now and are waiting for my SSD to arrive so I can install that into my MacMini before doing a full reinstall on the new SSD. 

While there's nothing wrong with that, it's less true now than it was in the past.

In fact, I had a first this time around. When I did a clean ML installation and tried to use Migration Assistant to move my files over, it hung and wouldn't finish. But when I made a clone of my previous drive and then installed ML on that, it worked fine.
  • Reply 37 of 71

Well, its a cool looking OS, but there several issues identified, and those issues are not only limited to battery drainage or random log-outs problems only. But there are many article from analysts predicting that Mountain Lion OS X 10.8 has a high vulnerability to virus outbreaks and Trojans, and due to which many Mac Lovers are still feeling reluctant to upgrade their OS to Mountain Lion.

But I think there are many options that they can consider. For example: They can use virtual desktop service. Its around $1/day i guess, and will not only help eliminating this virus threats, but will also provide many other facilities. With hosted desktop on your Mac-book, you can even use windows 7 and other Microsoft's application without even rebooting your system.

Here's an interesting article explaining how you can use a virtual desktop on your Mac, and its benefits:

http://www.dincloud.com/run-virtual-desktop-on-apple-mac-os-x

I hope you will find it interesting and informative.

• Reply 38 of 71
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    It was nice knowing ya....
  • Reply 39 of 71

The last time I upgraded my server from Snow Leopard Server to Lion server it screwed everything up...I ended up erasing the server and reconfiguring everything from the ground up. I've seen similar things happen to the client OS as well. In my opinion, its the best time to do it. You most likely haven't done it since the last major release and its good to do it every once in a great while. Some may not think its necessary, but again I've rarely ever had good success with an upgrade of any OS. Yes, I also realize some people this is a huge undertaking, but can be worth it in the end...especially if you're having weird issues. Doing an upgrade of an upgrade of an upgrade (10.6 to 10.7 to 10.8) is eventually going to screw something up in my opinion. 

As far as file restoration goes...I just drag the files I need over from my backup...I don't like assistants and wizards. And I always reinstall my apps. Its a process, but I think well worth it in the end. Its not like I have to do it every other month or something....its once a year or longer if Apple takes longer to release a new OS. 

• Reply 40 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbeats View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    I can solve the battery drain while sleeping issues. It's called Power Nap. It's actually how it's supposed to work, since it's grabbing photo stream, email, etc. Gotta use some battery for that.

I did see high CPU usage upon resume with my MBA 2011, but it turned out to be an App that was being a hog, so I removed it and no problems anymore. You gotta be quick with Activity monitor when you hear the fan spool up and sort by CPU. I'll bet you a beer it's an app that hasn't been updated for ML. 

Except Power Nap is (by default) NOT enabled when on batteries.