Steve Jobs was 'very receptive' to 7-inch iPad idea, court documents show

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Watch the Steve Job interview video's with All Things D over the years... he does appear to poo - poo / change his mind a few times... very interesting to watch the progression from 2001 onward. 

His biography is reported to be full of similar incidents also.  

The people trying to catch him in a lie or inconsistency have the viewpoint of the average twelve year old IMO.  Intelligent adults with open minds change them all the time based on whatever new information arises.  

If he was really as close minded and certain of his rightness at all times and afraid to be caught in a "mistake" or changing his opinion he couldn't have run the company at all.  His best job prospect would be to be an Internet troll ...

• Reply 22 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Anyway... It's interesting to see all the 're-writing of history' going on within the Apple ranks lately.

Actually, Steve has always been in favor of a 7 inch tablet.  I just knew it!

• Reply 23 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Not as bad as MR.

We shouldn't keep using that as a means to sweep it under the rug, though. Eventually we won't be able to say it anymore…

• Reply 24 of 105
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    <vc><strong>An email presented in the <em>Apple v. Samsung</em> trial on Friday from Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue to iOS chief Scott Forstall hints that discussions of building a smaller 7-inch iPad were in motion since at least 2011 and may have had the backing of late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.</strong>

Well, so much for all the people who insist that there's no way Apple could ever make a 7" iPad and that it would be a terrible idea.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Well, so much for all the people who insist that there's no way Apple could ever make a 7" iPad and that it would be a terrible idea.

It's a terrible idea. That Apple would be open to making one doesn't change that. I fail to see how it could.

• Reply 26 of 105
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Steve being "receptive" to Eddy:

"Eddy, cut out this 7-inch iPad shit already. I told you last week over sushi that I'd think about it."

Steve never got back to Eddy.
  • Reply 27 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a terrible idea. That Apple would be open to making one doesn't change that. I fail to see how it could.

The seven inch screen is not big enough to produce really great tablet apps.  That size hardware cannot properly express the software.

• Reply 28 of 105
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    Watch the Steve Job interview video's with All Things D over the years... he does appear to poo - poo / change his mind a few times... very interesting to watch the progression from 2001 onward. 

The tech wasn't to his liking at the time, as it was the iPad was a gamble.
  • Reply 29 of 105

If a 7" tablet isn't announced by Apple by October then I'm buying a Nexus 7. It is a great size for reading books and articles on the internet. I don't play games so that aspect doesn't interest me. I'll probably watch some Youtube videos with it and perhaps use it for showing some of my business materials to prospective clients. Jellybean is good enough to do all of those things really well.

Once the OS is working well I really won't need to upgrade it. I'm still using 10.5.8 and it works just fine for most of the things I do. The hardware is getting a bit old when it comes to playing streaming video. It can't always keep up because of the 667 MHz buss.

• Reply 30 of 105
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

That's why you don't work for Apple.

I'd preorder sight unseen. Mark me down for 2 Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 105

Quote:

So then I guess Google and Asus copied Samsung too? Didnt know Samsung had a patent on 7" devices.

my wife says I have the patent on 7" devices....  

Tip your waitresses... I'm here all week.

• Reply 32 of 105

but in reality... having an email stating someone used a 7" Samsung tablet and perceived there was going to be a market at that size.   That's considered 'copying' a device?   

Honda:  "I've driven a Ford Explorer, and I think people will buy them, Let's Build a Honda Pilot..." (Ford:  "You owe us Royalties... we've patented the general size category"

Seems a ludicrous argument.

• Reply 33 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I told you guys what Steve poo-poos in public he works on in secret.

What's your point? What Apple releases as a product is what's important, not the early development work. I'm quite sure they are working on a ton of different products and designs all the time and only a few of those will ever see the light of day.

• Reply 34 of 105
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

If a 7" tablet isn't announced by Apple by October then I'm buying a Nexus 7. It is a great size for reading books and articles on the internet. I don't play games so that aspect doesn't interest me. I'll probably watch some Youtube videos with it and perhaps use it for showing some of my business materials to prospective clients. Jellybean is good enough to do all of those things really well.

Once the OS is working well I really won't need to upgrade it. I'm still using 10.5.8 and it works just fine for most of the things I do. The hardware is getting a bit old when it comes to playing streaming video. It can't always keep up because of the 667 MHz buss.

Have fun with that.

• Reply 35 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Have fun with that.

He will. The Nexus 7 is an amazing product.

• Reply 36 of 105
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

You can't be that stupid. Unless your astroturfing.

So what does that make your post?  What are you NOT supposed to do to a troll, again?

• Reply 37 of 105
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It would; but a larger iPod touch would eminently practical.

Cheers

• Reply 38 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It feels good to be proven accurate.

eriamjh wrote: »
    I told you guys what Steve poo-poos in public he works on in secret.

Steve never said that a smaller tablet couldn't be viable. They made their choice about the 10" tablet and it's done extremely well so it's hard to argue that it was the wrong choice to start with. His comments about the 7" tablets failing in the market was qualified with a reference to the lot of 7" tablets. He was dead on balls accurate.

As the iPad matures I expect to see more than 1 or even 2 sizes. It's not just about the HW but the OS, developer tools and apps to allow for an optimizing for the display size and resolution, a problem that has a large window or variance. in a standard desktop OS.
  • Reply 39 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    He will. The Nexus 7 is an amazing product.

I would say the Nexus 7 is the best $199 tablet on the market but it's hard to say that it's an amazing product. It's like saying a McDonald's cheeseburger is an amazing product simply because they sold it at or below cost. Regardless of the price it ain't no steak dinner.
  • Reply 40 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I would say the Nexus 7 is the best $199 tablet on the market but it's hard to say that it's an amazing product. It's like saying a McDonald's cheeseburger is an amazing product simply because they sold it at or below cost. Regardless of the price it ain't no steak dinner.

The idea that I have in mind is high quality small size