Scott Forstall describes iOS development, challenges in Samsung trial

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Not just grammar but a coherent arrangement of events (without repletion might be nice.)

I suggest chronological order would be a logical goal for starters.

• Reply 22 of 79
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

I hope all Samsung hardware and software is banned from the marketplace and that they are forced to create something new and unique for both. Stealing all of Apple's work then repackaging it and selling it on cheap phones is wrong.

• Reply 23 of 79
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Good answers from Forstall, I wonder what the email from Jobs said.

"This may become a talking point used by a Samsung lawyer in a future trial, so I'm setting this up as a blind alley. Be cagey."

Cheers

• Reply 24 of 79
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

I can't see Apple being happy with all these internal design process details, private discussion with SJ, emails, behind the scenes stuff, etc all being publicized. I've gained more insight into Apple's internals these past couple days than I have in years of following them as a company. It just seems so.... odd, for all this stuff to be coming out from these execs from such a secretive company. I can just feel SJ rolling in his grave. 

• Reply 25 of 79
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I can't see Apple being happy with all these internal design process details, private discussion with SJ, emails, behind the scenes stuff, etc all being publicized. I've gained more insight into Apple's internals these past couple days than I have in years of following them as a company. It just seems so.... odd, for all this stuff to be coming out from these execs from such a secretive company. I can just feel SJ rolling in his grave. 

Why would they give a shit? Apple isn't secretive because they are a bunch of paranoid control freaks, they are secretive to protect forthcoming products - this stuff is all in the past.

Samsung are so fucked.

• Reply 26 of 79
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Why would they give a shit? Apple isn't secretive because they are a bunch of paranoid control freaks, they are secretive to protect forthcoming products - this stuff is all in the past.

Samsung are so fucked.

Uh, no. They're secretive about the past, present, and future, always have been- especially their product development process and methodology. You think they're cool with all the 'Steve Jobs thought a 7" iPad was a great idea', anecdotes? 

• Reply 27 of 79
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i posted a comment earlier, pointing out the first three grammar errors in the article, kind of like this:
    <vc><strong>Following Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller, iOS head Scott Forstall to the stand to testify in the Samsung patent infringement trial.</strong>
    He reports to the company's chief executive Tim Cook as serves as a member of the Executive Team, with 1,000 people directly reporting to him.
    Asked if he was confidence his team would succeed, Forstall answered, "not at all."

meh. that's about as far i could get in the article before my head exploded as a result of the non-stop parade of grammar and syntax errors.

or as appleinsider would put it: "that i could get Exploders, errors.".

the comment has since been deleted.

is appleinsider now censoring its critics, mild and true as they might be? it has a lot of work to do then, because i'm not the only one pointing out the numerous syntax and grammar errors in this, uh, thing.

can anyone hazard a guess as to why my comment was summarily deleted?
  • Reply 28 of 79
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

From Forbes.

He’s (Forstall is) asked if he told anyone at Apple to copy from Samsung’s designs.

“I never directed anyone to go and copy something from Samsung. We wanted to build something great…There was no reason to look at anything they had done.”

Nice one Scott!

Best. Qoute. Ever. I love Scott Forstall!

• Reply 29 of 79
    He reports to the company's chief executive Tim Cook as serves as a member of the Executive Team, with 1,000 people directly reporting to him.

And this (aside from the grammar), I don't believe Forstall has 1000 direct reports. A thousand people working under him I can believe but they aren't all direct reports.

Who writes this stuff?
  • Reply 30 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Good answers from Forstall, I wonder what the email from Jobs said.

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

• Reply 31 of 79
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    slurpy wrote: »

Nonsense. Don't you think Steve knew they would need to backup their claim on infringement when this war went to court? edit: EricTheHalfBee sums it up way better here
    pooch wrote: »
    i posted a comment earlier, pointing out the first three grammar errors in the article, kind of like this:
    <vc><strong>Following Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller, iOS head Scott Forstall to the stand to testify in the Samsung patent infringement trial.</strong>
    Asked if he was confidence his team would succeed, Forstall answered, "not at all."

meh. that's about as far i could get in the article before my head exploded as a result of the non-stop parade of grammar and syntax errors.

the comment has since been deleted.

is appleinsider now censoring its critics, mild and true as they might be? it has a lot of work to do then, because i'm not the only one pointing out the numerous syntax and grammar errors in this, uh, thing.

can anyone hazard a guess as to why my comment was summarily deleted?

Deleted? Wow. Glad to be able to read it now. Still, wow AI. If someone posts a comment you'd think that person is the owner of those words, but AI thinks it was given to them when clicking on the summit button? Strikes me as 'odd'.

And this (aside from the grammar), I don't believe Forstall has 1000 direct reports. A thousand people working under him I can believe but they aren't all direct reports.

Who writes this stuff?

The size of his team I absolutely believe. He's got the Siri team, which is the largest team within Apple. And of course he's got managers between him and these 1,000 people otherwise he'd do nothing but granting sick leave and all that crap management stuff.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

If Jobs ever had said there might be something worth copying, IF, and they didn't actual copy anything, why ask? I think Samsung is trying to confuse the jury. What was Samnsung doing before than iPhone and iOS that was even worth stealing?

• Reply 33 of 79
    philboogie wrote: »
    [...]

Deleted? Wow. Glad to be able to read it now. Still, wow AI. If someone posts a comment you'd think that person is the owner of those words, but AI thinks it was given to them when clicking on the summit button? Strikes me as 'odd'.

deleted. twice now.
  • Reply 34 of 79

it was deleted. so i posted it again. that comment has since been deleted.

can anyone hazard a guess as to why my comments were summarily deleted?
  • Reply 35 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumashow View Post

Yeah, the grammar [mistakes in the AI articles are] a joke.

Agreed! Rumor site or not, it's inexcusable and unprofessional. PROOFREAD! Being first to publish isn't always the point. Get it right!

• Reply 36 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Best. Qoute. Ever. I love Scott Forstall!

That was a great slam on Samsung!

• Reply 37 of 79
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

The most interesting part of this trial is hearing Apple's process for designing something. The amount of time and effort they put into things and the attention to detail. And the fact they were thinking of these things years before the iPhone first came out.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I agree!  I really want to hear what Samsung's process is. 

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 38 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Who writes this stuff?
    Yeah I wondered about this too as it was reported elsewhere like this. I'm sure there are some VP's or middle managers who report directly to him who these 1'000 or so people report up through.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Nonsense. Don't you think Steve knew they would need to backup their claim on infringement when this war went to court? edit: EricTheHalfBee sums it up way better here
    The size of his team I absolutely believe. He's got the Siri team, which is the largest team within Apple. And of course he's got managers between him and these 1,000 people otherwise he'd do nothing but granting sick leave and all that crap management stuff.
    If he has 1,000 people working on Siri why is it still beta and why does it still suck?
  • Reply 40 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If he has 1,000 people working on Siri why is it still beta and why does it still suck?

Sarcasm, right?