Inside Apple's new vector-based Maps in iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 121 of 184
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

Stick to the issues, like DED does; personalities don't tend to contribute anything but (negative) emotion to the discussion and are not helpful. This is key to enjoying blog sites like AI.

By way of comparison, and to explain the point being made here, count the number of uses of the word "I", "you", "my" in all posts by the author and by others responding critically to the article.

A lot of "contributors" here purporting to "portray the facts" and "uncover lies" are simply trolling professionally with a few half-truths and plenty of insults; others are trying to set the record straight and stick to the science, pushing the envelope of readers' knowledge with cool facts. The latter educate and enlighten, the former simply muddy the waters and reduce everything to a pi**ing contest of schoolboys, provoking flame wars.

A lot has been revealed here about mapping technology, both by this article and many of the constructive rejoinders written by people who are knowledgeable about and/or involved in Mapping - that's what the topic is about, not whether one is a returning Android, iOS or Windows Phone user, facts that are totally unhelpful to the issue under discussion. 

Yes it really is too bad that so many AI commenters simply can't really express themselves coherently (as you do, and thanks for that) whether they are agree, disagree, or have something constructive, additional or even just a subjective opinion to add. That's really sad. 

Seems like the five Android fans thought that it was critically important to write in great detail about Google's own adventures in vector maps, even though this is completely irrelevant to iOS 6 Maps because Google won't have any way to deliver its own technologies to the default mapping client the vast majority of iOS uses will be using from here on out. 

And that's a really big deal, on the same level (for example) as the shift we all observed when Apple introduced MP4/AAC and H.264 as audio and video standards, killing off the proprietary WMA/WMV and ATRAC formats that Microsoft and Sony hoped to make popular. Sure, both MS and Sony contributed to those standards later, but it was Apple that shifted what everyone was using via its leverage with iTunes. 

Same thing with Safari & WebKit. Everyone thought the web would always be a two horse race between Netscape/Mozilla and Microsoft. Now, those two don't even matter so much, certainly not in the mobile realm. Same thing with Flash.

The interesting point that these angry Android/Google fans are missing is that while Google may have some impressive mapping technologies (and it certainly does), it is suddenly about to lose half of the mobile device market.

And lets get real: while you can enable WebGL maps on the desktop, most people aren't using it because its a special opt in beta, and its still rather slow even on modern desktops. 

Additionally, all the people going into hysterics about Google's support for vector maps on Android: that's fine if you want to argue about a pissing match, but the reality is that Google has always had 100% of the iOS maps market and virtually 100% of Android. It will soon have virtually 0% of iOS users, and 0% of iOS third party developers, which is vastly significant because iOS is where the money is made that might trickle toward Android. 

Here's the first review visible on Google Play for Android Maps: "This new offline thingy is BS! Never works well, put asides, maps works only with a data connection, and constantly running in the background."

• Reply 122 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

A lot of posters pointed out that Google already has that kind of mapping (vector/GIS - whatever the correct description is), and that the limitations described only apply to the implementation in iOS. The article did not make that clear at all.

Thank you, I see. It seems that it's Apple playing catch-up, not the other way around.

The article misled me into believing that Android maps relied on the same outdated renderer as the one Apple uses.

• Reply 123 of 184
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    purpledorm wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »
    A lot of posters pointed out that Google already has that kind of mapping (vector/GIS - whatever the correct description is), and that the limitations described only apply to the implementation in iOS. The article did not make that clear at all.

Thank you, I see. It seems that it's Apple playing catch-up, not the other way around.

The article misled me into believing that Android maps relied on the same outdated renderer as the one Apple uses.

I guess they are obviously playing catch-up since they had no mapping service of their own before this. Which of them ends up ahead still remains to be seen. Google maps are pretty impressive even on iOS, but I wouldn't bet against Apple. At any rate, the competition should be good for everyone.
  • Reply 124 of 184
    evokenevoken Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

The interesting point that these angry Android/Google fans are missing is that while Google may have some impressive mapping technologies (and it certainly does), it is suddenly about to lose half of the mobile device market.

Yes, considering that iOS accounts for over 60% of the mobile market and how fast users upgrade to the latest version of iOS, Google will lose over 60% of the mobile traffic/revenue they get from Google Maps really fast. They will start losing money as soon as iOS 6 is released. The new Apple Maps is definitely not a good thing for Google, it is a serious blow as it strikes right at the heart of their business model, taking a way their traffic/revenue.

Google has been on a free ride with the success of the iPhone given that Google Maps has been the default app since the beginning, earning a ton of money from a platform it directly competes with. Apple is about to end that party.

• Reply 125 of 184
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Seriously, they just could have renamed this article "Yet another boring reason why we find Apple superior".

They dismiss the lack of Streetview and only mention in briefly, but write a (way too long!) article about these vector graphics.

Come on! It's time they start writing a neutral post, or bash Apple on a specific subject. That would be so refreshing.

This is www.appleinsider.com. 

There are a million and one other sites that bash Apple, everyday, if that's what you're desperately seeking. Why don't you, I don't know, maybe visit one of those, instead of demanding such an Apple-bashing article from this site?I find this site refreshing because it's different. I like Apple, and sometimes I like to read positive articles about them, instead of of the 95% anti-Apple bashing crap that infests most other places. If I want anti-Apple stuff, I know where to go, and there's enough options to last a lifetime. Your complaint in non-sensical. 

• Reply 126 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And trolling is trolling. Would you prefer I stop banning the spambots and let them overrun the site, too?

You have ban powers? You certainly don't ever seem to use them, even with obvious troll cases. 

• Reply 127 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And trolling is trolling. Would you prefer I stop banning the spambots and let them overrun the site, too?

Double post

• Reply 128 of 184
    slurpy wrote: »

You have ban powers? You certainly don't ever seem to use them, even with obvious troll cases. 

He just used them. Jerry is gone.
  • Reply 129 of 184
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

People cry foul if someone with banning powers remains part of the discussion. They feel that it's an "unfair advantage", despite the fact that it would be infantile and completely idiotic to ban someone or delete posts over a simple disagreement.

I agree with you that blatant trolls don't deserve to fall under that caution umbrella, and while I trust myself not to abuse it it's still a slippery slope to some.

And that was Marvin that took out ConradZitherGestan26 this last time. Join the contest to see who can find his next iteration first!

• Reply 130 of 184
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member

I hope Apple will be fanatic going vector in more places. For instance, iBooks Author is very bad at handling SVG and PDF, even converting them to low resolution images when creating the actual iBook.

• Reply 131 of 184

Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

I hope Apple will be fanatic going vector in more places. For instance, iBooks Author is very bad at handling SVG and PDF, even converting them to low resolution images when creating the actual iBook.

Dear heavens, that's exactly what I need. I hope iBooks Author gets SVG support posthaste… Then I can drop my glorious vector maps in there.

• Reply 132 of 184
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member

Hey Tallest Skill, hope all is well. Generic question, should a global moderator be allowed acting like a cynical arrogant person? What do you think?

• Reply 133 of 184

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Hey Tallest Skill, hope all is well. Generic question, should a global moderator be allowed acting like a cynical arrogant person? What do you think?

Good question, and obviously "generic" and not based on a specific belief. Come sit by the fire with me and allow me to completely ignore it thanks to its presentation.

• Reply 134 of 184
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

One minor but VERY important detail: The labels on Google's maps all have outlines/borders around the letters. Apple's maps don't have this.

Yes they do.

• Reply 135 of 184
    4phun4phun Posts: 51member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Yes they do.

Please don't confuse the Fandroid trolls with truthful statements. Their simple emotions cannot handle it.

• Reply 136 of 184
    jumejume Posts: 209member

I think we will all miss Google maps in iOS6... I am pretty sure new maps will look good, but I also think a lot of data will be missing! I hope google releases it's own maps app for iOS! That would be win-win!

• Reply 137 of 184

so is it realy true they wont be using google maps and if so why? i ask because i dont have a car and wont any time soon and i take public transit every where and i use google maps on my 4s all the time so they beter fix this or i might consder moving to android market and i realy dont like them

• Reply 138 of 184

I used to enjoy DED's pieces but now they're so angry, cherry picked and verbose they're just not worth the time.  Someone among the Editorial team needs to have a chat with him because it's not making him or AppleInsider look good.  I am saying this because I like AppleInsider and every time I see an article like this one it decreases my future use of the site.

I tried a side by side comparison of maps on IOS5 and IOS6 beta in the UK over a weekend in late July around London and south east of the UK.  The simple conclusion I came to was that it didn't matter how fancy the graphics are, if the underlying information is missing, inaccurate, untimely or unobtainable then you have a serious problem.  And maps in IOS6 has some very very serious problems.  Unfortunately nice graphics on a poor data delivery application like putting beautiful lipstick on a very ugly pig and entering her in a beauty pageant.  So unless they really up their game on the backend before its launch,  iPhone5 and IOS6 will not be high priority acquisitions.

Truly good innovation comes in part from being honest, demanding the very best and never accepting mediocrity.  That is what has helped Apple get to where it is today and long may it continue.   Maps is not a new business line for Apple - it has made some serious acquisitions in this area 4 years ago - but unless a lot of the underlying data, scope and functionality issues are sorted out, the  release of Maps on IOS is not going to be one of Apple's proudest days and it will look as though SJ had to pass away before it could be released, because from what I've seen he would most likely be giving it the MobileMe treatment about now.

• Reply 139 of 184
    wayward wrote: »
    I used to enjoy DED's pieces but now they're so angry, cherry picked and verbose they're just not worth the time.  Someone among the Editorial team needs to have a chat with him because it's not making him or AppleInsider look good.  I am saying this because I like AppleInsider and every time I see an article like this one it decreases my future use of the site.

I tried a side by side comparison of maps on IOS5 and IOS6 beta in the UK over a weekend in late July around London and south east of the UK.  The simple conclusion I came to was that it didn't matter how fancy the graphics are, if the underlying information is missing, inaccurate, untimely or unobtainable then you have a serious problem.  And maps in IOS6 has some very very serious problems.  Unfortunately nice graphics on a poor data delivery application like putting beautiful lipstick on a very ugly pig and entering her in a beauty pageant.  So unless they really up their game on the backend before its launch,  iPhone5 and IOS6 will not be high priority acquisitions.

Truly good innovation comes in part from being honest, demanding the very best and never accepting mediocrity.  That is what has helped Apple get to where it is today and long may it continue.   Maps is not a new business line for Apple - it has made some serious acquisitions in this area 4 years ago - but unless a lot of the underlying data, scope and functionality issues are sorted out, the  release of Maps on IOS is not going to be one of Apple's proudest days and it will look as though SJ had to pass away before it could be released, because from what I've seen he would most likely be giving it the MobileMe treatment about now.

I'd wait and see what happens when it is out of beta before judging. If they have the processing engine in place and OK then it may just be a matter of getting all the GIS data loaded. Or they may have screwed it up big time, but hard to tell yet.
  • Reply 140 of 184

Originally Posted by KBlack2595 View Post

so is it realy true they wont be using google maps and if so why?

Yes. Because GOOGLE IS A WORTHLESS WHORE.

…so they better fix this or i might consider moving to android market and i really don't like them

You won't move to Android. And there'll be a third-party (worse) Google Maps app.