iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, kinda their own fault!:

www.thefancy.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

But the website is 'theFancy.com"

...and do you know why Fancy has the URL 'thefancy.com'? (Hint, type fancy.com)

I've been waiting for years for a particular URL to become available but urgency requires imagination. :)

• Reply 22 of 69

my friend's step-sister made $20284 a week ago. she is making cash on the internet and got a $487400 condo. All she did was get lucky and profit by the clues leaked on this link http://LazyCash38.com

• Reply 23 of 69
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

See that's something that Steve never would have done, since leveraging a credit card database to sell more of other people's products doesn't directly contribute to changing the world.

• Reply 24 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Kanye looks enthralled.

He's between drunken binges.

• Reply 25 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

See that's something that Steve never would have done, since leveraging a credit card database to sell more of other people's products doesn't directly contribute to changing the world.

If Steve did such a thing it would be because he was going to change the world, but it wouldn't have seemed so until later when, "BAM."

• Reply 26 of 69
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member

Fancy = beyond stupid. Never even heard f that crap site before. Looks   like a shitty blog.

Actually, this is just a marketing ploy by the Fancy. Everything about this is FAKE! 

• Reply 27 of 69
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighype View Post

Fancy = beyond stupid. Never even heard f that crap site before. Looks   like a shitty blog.

Doesn't look like a blog in any way at all.

• Reply 28 of 69
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    I don't get it. Is it a gag site? I'm not sure the woman's clothes are actually things you could wear in public, without causing a stir anyway. So when I got to the 'Can of Air, I thought "must be a joke!". The 'vampire killer' kit looks cool for a similar gag gift. I do like the Air Jordan's though.

Strange site...
  • Reply 29 of 69
    waybacmacwaybacmac Posts: 309member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It should be noted, however, that the system as well as the acquisition remains firmly planted in the realm of speculation.

I'm waiting for the New York Times to confirm the story. Then I'll know it's not true ;-)

BTW, I visited the Fancy website. Looks like the perfect place for people with way too much money to spend it on over-priced snick-snacks. A wood, scotch-tape dispenser in the shape of a duck? Really? I suppose it quacks when you pull on the tape. <head shaking in disbelief>

The New Economy: "…a foole and his money is soone parted." - Dr. John Bridges, 1587

• Reply 30 of 69
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

I'm waiting for the New York Times to confirm the story. Then I'll know it's not true ;-)

BTW, I visited the Fancy website. Looks like the perfect place for people with way too much money to spend it on over-priced snick-snacks. A wood, scotch-tape dispenser in the shape of a duck? Really? I suppose it quacks when you pull on the tape. <head shaking in disbelief>

The New Economy: "…a foole and his money is soone parted." - Dr. John Bridges, 1587

Exactly...

How many people will buy "finger tongs"  to hold their chicken wings so their fingers don't get dirty?  Come on...   

The site looks like someone scanned ads and photos from Christmas catalogs or magazines from Neiman-Marcus, Restoration Hardware. Architectural Digest, Town & Country, or similar outfits, and then posted them on a blog.   Stupid stuff for stupid folks.

The one item I find interesting is the greeting card that says "Not sent from my iPhone".    Ironically funny, because "The Fancy" seems like the perfect site for all those clueless bozos who either cannot figure out how to change the iPhone setting so it says something besides "Sent from my iPhone", or they leave it set that way because somehow they think when people read a message that says "Sent from my iPhone" it makes them seem cool or validates them.  

I can see some sad soul sitting alone in his tiny tiny apartment with a mattress and a lamp, some crates for furniture, but they have a Mac, and iPhone, and iPad, lots of hair products, and a wooden duck-shaped tape dispenser.  Fulfilling. 

I am going to need a $50 handcrafted leather belt pouch to hold my finger tongs...

• Reply 31 of 69
    Siri was actually acquired on April 27th 2010, not 2011 as this article says.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    msimpson wrote: »
    Exactly...

How many people will buy "finger tongs"  to hold their chicken wings so their fingers don't get dirty?  Come on...   

The site looks like someone scanned ads and photos from Christmas catalogs or magazines from Neiman-Marcus, Restoration Hardware. Architectural Digest, Town & Country, or similar outfits, and then posted them on a blog.   Stupid stuff for stupid folks.

I agree - and feel the same way about Pinterest. Waste of time - and I blocked it on Facebook so I don't have to see 10,000 posts about the latest stupid gadget for sale.
    msimpson wrote: »
    The one item I find interesting is the greeting card that says "Not sent from my iPhone".    Ironically funny, because "The Fancy" seems like the perfect site for all those clueless bozos who either cannot figure out how to change the iPhone setting so it says something besides "Sent from my iPhone", or they leave it set that way because somehow they think when people read a message that says "Sent from my iPhone" it makes them seem cool or validates them.  

I left my 'sent from my iphone' message in place, but it wasn't for any of those reasons. I use my phone for business email a lot and the responses when I'm on my iPhone will be much shorter than the ones I send from my computer. The message tells the recipient that I'm not being abrupt or curt, but simply sending a shortened message because of the device. It's a lot easier than typing "sorry this is so brief, but it's harder to type on a phone than on a keyboard" every time I respond to an email.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Yup, and another thing he would never have done is wish for people to keep saying "Steve wouldn't have done that."

Having said that, this rumour doesn't really hold water. For one thing, it appeared over a weekend, which means it's likely been engineered by some shady outfit somewhere (not Fancy itself) to sucker people into parting with investment money before the company directors can set the story straight.

And you are right; buying the company for their credit card database makes no sense at all.  Apple already has 400 million credit cards on file. I doubt these people have more. Looking at the kind of stuff they sell, I reckon they'd be the same credit cards anyway.

Unless they have some tech of IP we don't know about, I'd be surprised if any of this is true.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 34 of 69
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Two tin cans on sticks so you don't have to hold your beer while sunbathing.

$77

Yeesh.

• Reply 35 of 69
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

If this is true, there has to be a reason for it.

Imagine if it were as easy to buy Apple hardware as it is to buy an app on the App Store? A bunch of (pre)configured models (Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc.) in a "hardware" category. Accessible right there in the App Store on your iPhone or iPad. Just hit "Buy" and you're done. 

I know that if I had to choose between visiting the Apple website and clicking through a bunch of options and other things, and just hitting "Buy" in the App Store, I'd much rather do the latter. 
  • Reply 36 of 69
    How does Fancy make money?

IMO It is a poorly written shopping site/cart with overpriced things that few will actually buy...

What am I missing?
  • Reply 37 of 69
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    How does Fancy make money?
    IMO It is a poorly written shopping site/cart with overpriced things that few will actually buy...
    What am I missing?

They earn revenue by collecting 10% of transactions recorded through their site.

If that's enough to cover their expenses, they make money. If it's not, they're burning investor's money.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, kinda their own fault!:

www.thefancy.com/

They should make them change the name to "iFancy" which would be better and also link it with Apple more.  

• Reply 39 of 69
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Exactly...

I can see some sad soul sitting alone in his tiny tiny apartment with a mattress and a lamp, some crates for furniture, but they have a Mac, and iPhone, and iPad, lots of hair products, and a wooden duck-shaped tape dispenser.  Fulfilling. 

I am going to need a $50 handcrafted leather belt pouch to hold my finger tongs...

Well it's obviously not for you, and BTW those ridiculous "finger tongs" are actually very popular right now (I don't know why either).  

I only saw a few things I liked out of hundreds I looked through, but I think you are completely mischaracterising the merchandise by calling it "stupid stuff for stupid folks."  I flipped through it a long time and it strikes me more as "unique and interesting things for those that can afford them."  Phrased that way, the clientele is a good match for Apple's customers.  There's a lot of limited edition stuff and a lot of stuff you can't get from any other source except the person that actually makes the thing in question.  

• Reply 40 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

...and do you know why Fancy has the URL 'thefancy.com'? (Hint, type fancy.com)

I've been waiting for years for a particular URL to become available but urgency requires imagination. :)

I know exactly what you mean.