Phil Schiller relates Apple's struggles to develop iPhone, iPad; shock at Samsung's copies

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's wrong with that!? He praised their product, and expressed an opinion that Apple should enter the 7-inch market. The fact that he had to mention it "several" times before Steve finally "seemed receptive" says nothing at all.

Indeed, I don't even understand the point of this line of questioning. What point is Samsung trying to make here? That Apple copied Samsung? Over a nonexistent product?
    I'm assuming he's trying to prove that Apple does competitive research and gets ideas from other companies like Samsung. At the end of th day Samsung will argue that all companies get inspiration from other companies and it's not copying. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I can see them making that case, and I can see a jury buying it.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    No but the jury could be swayed by the argument that companies take ideas or get inspired by other companies and that shouldn't be considered copying.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the fact that Apple has a design patent is absolutely basic to the suit to begin with. No design patent, no suit. Isn't it about violating a patent?
  • Reply 23 of 37
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    <p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Helvetica;">You want to see the car that Apple would make, look no further than Tesla.</p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Helvetica;min-height:14px;"> </p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Helvetica;">Apple's car would look completely different, but the spirit embodied in what Tesla is doing is exactly what Apple would have done, plus some surprises that we can't even imagine.</p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Helvetica;min-height:14px;"> </p>

<p style="font-size:12px;line-height:normal;font-family:Helvetica;">[SIZE=8px]I say 'we'. I can think of a few things, but no one likes it if anyone else on the face of the planet thinks they have any actual ideas that might be what Apple would do, so I'll refrain.[/SIZE]</p>
    The thing about Tesla, despite having a 15 or 18 inch touchscreen is that it has a very poor fit and finish on the interior. I would think Apple would do much better than that.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    From reading the live blog if anything this trial will show how obsessed Samsung was/is with Apple. To the point of hiring consulting groups to come in and tell them why they should care/be worried about Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

At least Samsung hasn’t tried to slavishly copy the Mac.

Oh, wait...

http://www.cultofmac.com/170727/samsung-is-now-shamelessly-ripping-off-the-design-of-the-mac-mini/

• Reply 26 of 37
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

What do you have against Korean women?

He got dumped by one?

That explains why his mind is always in the gutter.

And him easily referencing the "hoe" part, that usually tells me that he has some experience with or is familiar with that part of the worlds oldest business.

Hmm...

• Reply 27 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

where are the twitter feeds?

Here are the best right now:  @sdlawsonmedia  @hmintz  @tim  @inafried

• Reply 28 of 37
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Embedded systems dont use iOS or other Apple software because Apple wants to be a ball hog and not license it out to others.

• Reply 29 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

…Apple wants to be a ball hog and not license it out to others.

Yeah, that's obviously not completely wrong.

• Reply 30 of 37
    galbi wrote: »
    He got dumped by one?

That explains why his mind is always in the gutter.

And him easily referencing the "hoe" part, that usually tells me that he has some experience with or is familiar with that part of the worlds oldest business.

Hmm...

If anyone has their mind in the gutter, it's surely you.

Here, let me help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoe
  • Reply 31 of 37
    eric475eric475 Posts: 177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If anyone has their mind in the gutter, it's surely you.

Here, let me help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoe

Help yourself, anantksundrama.

• Reply 32 of 37
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Embedded systems dont use iOS or other Apple software because Apple wants to be a ball hog and not license it out to others.

No but I bet they use WebKit, and I suspect Apple's contribution is acknowledged in the Open Source license agreements that accompany every Android device.

• Reply 33 of 37
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

Apple seems to be taking the right approach.

Experimentally, we know from records and articles from that time that iPhone and iPad were original, contrarian designs that Apple alone introduced and popularized.  We know it because key players all ridiculed the design and told Apple it was stupid.  This proves their self development story is a fraud, crafted to justify an illegal pirating of Apple's design.  By mocking the design at intro time, Apple peers effectively self testified that it was not their design, and they had no intention of designing a similar product.  

• Reply 34 of 37

Quote:

They earn more money by keeping the ball to themselves. It's business. I bet if Google had the resources to build their own proprietary phone, they wouldn't bother with open source.

• Reply 35 of 37
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The attorney also asked about what Apple would be changing in the design of iPhone 5....

Wow. The arrogance.

He must take Schiller for a fool.

I had the same reaction. Why didn't Apple object to that question based on lack of relevance?

• Reply 36 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

I had the same reaction. Why didn't Apple object to that question based on lack of relevance?

They couldn't resist letting Schiller make his smart remarks

• Reply 37 of 37
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Tesla uses android. You do know that right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is this in some way a rebuttal to what I've said? It's simply a consequence of iOS not being used in embedded devices.

They use Android so they can embed it and control it.  The Apple way is, you step into the car and bluetooth takes over communicating with the car.  Tesla can't take the risk of an infected Android phone entering the car and controlling it.  Thus, Android is used since they can't embed iOS..../s until the details are worked out with Apple of course.....  image