NASA's control room flooded with Macs during Mars Curiosity landing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words, like those that appeared over NASA's live feed showing a control room riddled with Macs and other Apple products during the historical landing of the Curiosity rover on planet Mars last night.

The photos, captured from the live stream by Reddit users (via TMO), show nearly a dozen Macs -- in addition to iPhones and even iPads -- in use by the space agency's Entry, Descent and Landing Operations (EDL Ops) team at its Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California Sunday evening.

NASA engineers can be seen fixated on their MacBook Pro screens and incoming data as the $2.6 billion Curiosity made a dramatic arrival on the Martian planet during what NASA scientists have dubbed "seven minutes of terror."

One closeup photo confirms that these Macs were indeed running Mac OS X and not a flavor of Windows, while a second shows a lone IBM ThinkPad looking a bit out of place among the Apple-dominated lab.

The two thousand pound car-sized rover set off from earth on November 26th, equipped with 17 cameras and a laser that will help NASA engineers survey the planet and its terrain from the Jet Propulsion Lab in an effort to determine whether Mars ever had an environment that was able to support life forms.

For some of the latest photos coming from Curiosity, check out this page over at NASA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 138
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Nice - although they also use Chrome, Firefox as well as Parallels... also worth a thousand words, no?

• Reply 2 of 138

I actually tweeted about this while watching the landing! It was pretty impressive (both the landing and all the Macs!).

• Reply 3 of 138
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Yay the Mac! Not that Apple will give a stuff, they don't care about people using their products for serious work, they only want to sell you more rock songs.

• Reply 4 of 138
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Normal. They all look like Geniuses ...

• Reply 5 of 138
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    justmark wrote: »
    I actually tweeted about this while watching the landing! It was pretty impressive (both the landing and all the Macs!).

Just wait until NASA's iCloud account get hacked and they use Find My Rover to wipe Curiosity's drive.
  • Reply 6 of 138

Maybe the JPL team just use Windows PCs to gain experience of "crashes"   ;~)

• Reply 7 of 138

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Nice - although they also use Chrome, Firefox as well as Parallels... also worth a thousand words, no?

If you look closely there's a status indicator if it's open or not. And all those apps you said are not open. Also, this picture was caught DURING their work.

• Reply 8 of 138

Most of mission control actually runs Linux. Fact.

• Reply 9 of 138
    Not surprising. In the 80s they would have used Sun SPARCs. I'm just surprised they use MacBooks instead Mac Pros. Windows at NASA? Scarier things have happened.
  • Reply 10 of 138
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Just wait until NASA's iCloud account get hacked and they use Find My Rover to wipe Curiosity's drive.

Or send it to Saturn, or better yet Uranus lol.
  • Reply 11 of 138
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    'Historic', not 'historical'.
  • Reply 12 of 138
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Most of mission control actually runs Linux. Fact.

Perhaps for the back-end servers I can see that, however I think they are predominantly a Windows (or now OSX) on the desktop.  Ubuntu is nice though.  Any links to check this out further?

• Reply 13 of 138
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I'm surprised they weren't iPads.
  • Reply 15 of 138

deleted
  • Reply 16 of 138
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Normal. They all look like Geniuses ...

No doubt.  They are definitely geniuses... They all look extremely nerdy- like the "I'm a PC" guy. 

• Reply 17 of 138
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Or send it to Saturn, or better yet Uranus lol.

Speaking of, this is worth watching:
  • Reply 18 of 138
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member

Recall when NASA was working to get rid of all Mac and go pure WINTEL, not too long ago.

• Reply 19 of 138

Great picture for the next time some idiot thinks an iPad with Mickey Mouse iOS is a computer. This is what you can do with an Apple computer and a real OS.

• Reply 20 of 138
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Those are ?personal? computers not NASA ones certainly, a government agency buying Macs, NO WAY!